Cristiano Ronaldo : The Juventus Chapter | Fin

Status
Not open for further replies.

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
He’ll demolish that record. Phenomenal player. Has had a spring in his step this season too, thought he was fantastic against inter.

bakalhau

I don't think I've seen him run so much pressing in like... Ever?

Speaks volumes about this guy. Great on field attitude, always wanting more. 2-0 up, corner given, he runs to the corner spot to take it himself like he's losing the game. Obsessed with reached every corner of heaven. Relentless is a good way to describe him.

Proper madlad

SirAF

Ageist
Arguably he was faster and more skillfull in the past decade but somehow managed to score more in this one.
Yeah, but he’s also honed his goalscoring abilities and positioning etc as he’s gained experience.

Based Adnan

He’ll demolish that record. Phenomenal player. Has had a spring in his step this season too, thought he was fantastic against inter.
Is he usually as flashy as he was against Inter? Not something we saw that often at Madrid

wr8_utd

:'(
I think Neymar has a very good chance if he can shake his injury troubles.
Will be tough. Neymar doesn't get to play the kind of teams European players do in qualifying. Like I've said before, I can see a Lukaku fight with Ronaldo if he plays long enough.

wr8_utd

Is he usually as flashy as he was against Inter? Not something we saw that often at Madrid
I think coming to Juve has definitely helped his individual game to an extent. At Madrid they created so much, he didn't need to do the flashy stuff or involve himself in creating as much. His goals have reduced at Juve but I think his overall play is a bit better than it was in his final years at Madrid.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
He's in fantastic form right now. Genuinely looks more fit and mobile than he has in years. Watching him and Bernardo together is mouthwatering, if he had this sort of quality alongside him for most of his international career than Ali Daei's record would have been surpassed a long time ago. If Felix can start producing too then that will be a terrifying front 3.

Hopefully he can get his 700th goal in Kiev on Monday. Would be important to win that and guarantee qualification.

Luke1995

Yeah, but he’s also honed his goalscoring abilities and positioning etc as he’s gained experience.
It's actually amazing that he has more goals than some strikers who played in that position all their lives. Zlatan for example, even started his career before Ronaldo, yet isn't close to his numbers, and Ronaldo played seven or eight seasons as a pure winger.

Sterling Archer

It's actually amazing that he has more goals than some strikers who played in that position all their lives. Zlatan for example, even started his career before Ronaldo, yet isn't close to his numbers, and Ronaldo played seven or eight seasons as a pure winger.
On Bernardo Silva's goal today, did you see Ronaldo make a 40 yard sprint into the box beating his man coming from 2 yards behind?

That's why. He's 34 and running his arse off still for every chance. Incredible. Can't recall that kind of work ethic for an entire career from too many strikers.

Sterling Archer

I went back to watch the goal again and I'm wrong. He outruns the entire defensive line! It's crazy from this angle:

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I don't think I've seen him run so much pressing in like... Ever?

Speaks volumes about this guy. Great on field attitude, always wanting more. 2-0 up, corner given, he runs to the corner spot to take it himself like he's losing the game. Obsessed with reached every corner of heaven. Relentless is a good way to describe him.

Proper madlad
If only our players have half of his mentality... he is complete opposite to our attackers.

Apparently he has achieved at least 10 times more than any of our players, yet he is playing like he has achieved 10 times less and need to prove himself every minutes of the game to achieve more.

Kappa123

"tap-in merchant" "penaldo" "PR7"

Shame some people have to stoop so low out of jealousy for the absolute legend. He can do it all on the pitch all while making men feel insecure about themselves and even Messi as well :lol:

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
"tap-in merchant" "penaldo" "PR7"

Shame some people have to stoop so low out of jealousy for the absolute legend. He can do it all on the pitch all while making men feel insecure about themselves and even Messi as well :lol:
When was the last time he scored a beauty?

kafta

Perpetual Under 11's Team Player
I wouldn't he's been flashy, no. This season he's been more involved in build up play, drifting out wide and some great link up play. Been great to watch.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Couldn't even score 5 goals against luxemburg :mad::mad::mad:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I think coming to Juve has definitely helped his individual game to an extent. At Madrid they created so much, he didn't need to do the flashy stuff or involve himself in creating as much. His goals have reduced at Juve but I think his overall play is a bit better than it was in his final years at Madrid.
He looks sharper, more agile and quicker than he has in years, for sure. But otherwise, that has more to do with how juventus simply ask him to be more involved in the play than we did. On the one hand, this might result in him scoring less, but on the other hand, they're less reliant on him to be the one to score

pregra

Supports
FC Barcelona,Argentina
He's in fantastic form right now.
Bit of hyperbole, no? I guess if you isolate his Portugal form (goalscoring stats) in particular I guess you have a point but for Juve he has been pretty ordinary I think. Yet to have a really good overall game and showed only flashes in both the big ones so far (Atletico and Inter). What I find impressive though is that even in the matches where he does a lot of simple technical mistakes, he still manages to get 2-3 great goalscoring opportunities because of his movement and clever positioning in the box. When looking at the replays it looks easy as heck but it can't be because CRonaldo is the only one who manages it on such a consistent basis.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
It’s a gorgeous goal he scored.

Time to just sit back and enjoy him whilst we still can.

wr8_utd

He looks sharper, more agile and quicker than he has in years, for sure. But otherwise, that has more to do with how juventus simply ask him to be more involved in the play than we did. On the one hand, this might result in him scoring less, but on the other hand, they're less reliant on him to be the one to score
Yeah I kind of meant that as well. He didn't need to be that involved in play at Madrid and it showed in his goals. I'll be honest, I prefer watching the Juve version of Ronaldo where he's more involved in all play. He was so so good in his play down the wing and creating chances when he was at United and before he turned into a goal scoring monster.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Bit of hyperbole, no? I guess if you isolate his Portugal form (goalscoring stats) in particular I guess you have a point but for Juve he has been pretty ordinary I think. Yet to have a really good overall game and showed only flashes in both the big ones so far (Atletico and Inter). What I find impressive though is that even in the matches where he does a lot of simple technical mistakes, he still manages to get 2-3 great goalscoring opportunities because of his movement and clever positioning in the box. When looking at the replays it looks easy as heck but it can't be because CRonaldo is the only one who manages it on such a consistent basis.
He shoots a lot but his conversion rate is quite dreadful, so it is his fault actually; that said his overall game is head & shoulders above teammates and, it goes without saying, the rest of Serie A. He is a proper icing on the cake and will hopefully come good next spring for CL games, in that assisted by more assertive teammates and the Sarriball.

piesel

I think at Juve he's having a disappointing start of season, so many wasted chances and some of them quite embarassing.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Bit of hyperbole, no?
I meant physically more than anything else. His finishing has been poor to start the season but that's never to worry. His overall play and movement to get chances is there, the goals will come naturally as his luck turns around.

If Juve keeps up what they've shown in the past few games then he'll score for fun.

SirAF

Ageist
I meant physically more than anything else. His finishing has been poor to start the season but that's never to worry. His overall play and movement to get chances is there, the goals will come naturally as his luck turns around.

If Juve keeps up what they've shown in the past few games then he'll score for fun.
Definitely, as we were talking about earlier they are starting to get to grips with how Sarri wants them to play now

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
I always find it a huge disservice to Ronaldo when he's labelled as 'not as naturally talented',usually in-comparison to one Lionel Messi,by various lazy pundits and football commentators over the years.
They,rightly,heap praise on his continue growth and impeccable desire to improve and win but it usually comes across as abit of a backhanded compliment. Like, practice and a desire to win is the only reason he is where he is.
Trust me,Ronaldo is also as naturally talented as Messi.

DJ Jeff

Not so Jazzy
Soaring like a candy wrapper caught in an updraft
I always find it a huge disservice to Ronaldo when he's labelled as 'not as naturally talented',usually in-comparison to one Lionel Messi,by various lazy pundits and football commentators over the years.
They,rightly,heap praise on his continue growth and impeccable desire to improve and win but it usually comes across as abit of a backhanded compliment. Like, practice and a desire to win is the only reason he is where he is.
I will trust you.

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
He's not though. If he were there'd be no debate who is the better out of the two. His mentality and fitness are obviously better and he's also insanely talented. However, he cant do the things Messi can.

Meh why do I bother with this thread again. Im going to bed.

Tostao_80

Why is it a disservice? There are literally only 4 to 5 players in the history of the game that have natural ability close to Leo. And i like how you reduce it lazy pundits and commentators. A certain Sir Alex has heaped praise on Leo to a degree that he he has never with Cristiano. Even as far back as 2012, he was comparing Leo to Cruyff and Diego. When has he ever said anything remotely similar about Cristiano? Even this year, he called Leo the greatest ever. Is Sir Alex a lazy commentator? Didnt Capello only recently name Leo as one of football historys 3 magicians? Wengers opinion? Klopp this year calling Leo the best ever. I could go on. Players who have played with Cristiano and not Leo, Ferdinand, Rooney, Scholes. They all say the same. I could go on.
The majority of the football world across all spectrums feels Leo is not just better, or greater, but more talented, this much is clear.
Cristiano, in his own right is an all timd great himself, and has had an amazing career, And even at 34, is producing the unprecedented. There is sadly for him, someone just better.

cyberman

I mostly agree. You don't score 700 odd goals without being insanely talented

Tostao_80

I mostly agree. You don't score 700 odd goals without being insanely talented
No one is saying Cristiano is not insanely talented, he clearly is. But Diego/ Leo talent is another level.
Goals doesnt necessarily equal talent.Gerd Muller scored over 700 goals, and is the most accomplished goalscorer of all time, at all levels. However, his name never comes up when the most talented players of all time are named. Infact, a defender (though revolutionary) in Der Kaiser, is often named Germany's best.

Luke1995

On Bernardo Silva's goal today, did you see Ronaldo make a 40 yard sprint into the box beating his man coming from 2 yards behind?

That's why. He's 34 and running his arse off still for every chance. Incredible. Can't recall that kind of work ethic for an entire career from too many strikers.
I saw it, he takes care of his body so well that he haven't aged like most players. His legs have the energy of a 30 or a 31 year old still.

He will probably end his career with more official goals than Romario and Pelé

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Messi's the Federer to Ronaldo's Nadal/Djokovic. Watching Federer at his best playing against a lower rated player will make you feel bad for the other guy, looks incredibly dominating, several levels above anyone, pulls off whatever he wants when he wants and the opponent looks completely helpless... watch prime Djokovic playing against a lower rated player and it will look like a fairly even match with few moments of magic where he ends up winning regardless of how well he's playing. They'd win just as often as eachother, but one will get more recognition for it.

The difference is that in tennis Djokovic/Nadal can surpass Federer's titles count and it will hold more weight because it's an individual sport while for many people it doesn't really matter what Ronaldo ends up accomplishing since it can be dismissed by putting more or less emphasis on the other 10 players on the pitch. Messi and even players like Neymar are definitely more naturally talented than Ronaldo. But if anyone thinks Juve/Barca/PSG are more likely to win the Champions League or Portugal to win the Euros with them instead of Ronaldo then they haven't been paying attention. Luckily for Ronaldo the biggest tournaments in football are structured to favour adaptability, mentality and physicality over consistency and flair. Probably unfairly so, but it's the way it is not just in football but in most sports.

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
Messi's the Federer to Ronaldo's Nadal/Djokovic. Watching Federer at his best playing against a lower rated player will make you feel bad for the other guy, looks incredibly dominating, several levels above anyone, pulls off whatever he wants when he wants and the opponent looks completely helpless... watch prime Djokovic playing against a lower rated player and it will look like a fairly even match with few moments of magic where he ends up winning regardless of how well he's playing. They'd win just as often as eachother, but one will get more recognition for it.

The difference is that in tennis Djokovic/Nadal can surpass Federer's titles count and it will hold more weight because it's an individual sport while for many people it doesn't really matter what Ronaldo ends up accomplishing since it can be dismissed by putting more or less emphasis on the other 10 players on the pitch. Messi and even players like Neymar are definitely more naturally talented than Ronaldo. But if anyone thinks Juve/Barca/PSG are more likely to win the Champions League or Portugal to win the Euros with them instead of Ronaldo then they haven't been paying attention. Luckily for Ronaldo the biggest tournaments in football are structured to favour adaptability, mentality and physicality over consistency and flair. Probably unfairly so, but it's the way it is not just in football but in most sports.
On the other hand I don’t think Barca would’ve won CL with Ronaldo instead of Messi these last two seasons

Ronaldo is incredible but also insanely
Fortunate that even in matches where he is invisible in the finals (euro final, 2014, 2016 and 2018 CL final, nations league final) his teams still win every single time.

No player in history gets that fortunate. Obviously Ronaldo was a massive reason for those teams reaching the those finals, but the fact that even when he plays poorly in a final his team still gets a trophy is an insane amount of fortune

As the tennis analogy I disagree, I feel like Ronaldo could be more like Nadal but in regards to Djokovic he has a SUPERB head to head vs nadal and federer. Ronaldo has a poor head to head vs Messi but of course football is a team sport as it should be.

Ronaldo has also fared poorly in those domestic titles in la liga where there is much less luck involved and over a 38 week sample the best team usually wins the league.
Even zidane said La liga is harder than CL, but obviously CL means more.

Ronaldo has had several teammates show up in big moments although Ronaldo was the one delivering them for his teams a lot of the team. When Ronaldo plays poor though his teams still have a good chance of winning, when Messi plays poor his teams are dead in the water. It’s a luxury for Ronaldo to have had other teammates be able
To step up in the few times he couldn’t deliver. Even though Messi has had some incredible teammates, outside of the 6-1 psg match, I can hardly recall a Barca
Player outshine Messi in an important match in the past 4 years or so.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
On the other hand I don’t think Barca would’ve won CL with Ronaldo instead of Messi these last two seasons

Ronaldo is incredible but also insanely
Fortunate that even in matches where he is invisible in the finals (euro final, 2014, 2016 and 2018 CL final, nations league final) his teams still win every single time.

No player in history gets that fortunate. Obviously Ronaldo was a massive reason for those teams reaching the those finals, but the fact that even when he plays poorly in a final his team still gets a trophy is an insane amount of fortune

As the tennis analogy I disagree, I feel like Ronaldo could be more like Nadal but in regards to Djokovic he has a SUPERB head to head vs nadal and federer. Ronaldo has a poor head to head vs Messi but of course football is a team sport as it should be.

Ronaldo has also fared poorly in those domestic titles in la liga where there is much less luck involved and over a 38 week sample the best team usually wins the league.
Even zidane said La liga is harder than CL, but obviously CL means more.
Thanks for proving what I was saying :p

Fortunate? You can get lucky or unlucky in one tournament. Not across a 16+ years career... luck evens out. You're just focusing on the times things went his way while ignoring all the times it didn't.

Your last paragraph pretty much sums it up.

Ronaldo has had several teammates show up in big moments although Ronaldo was the one delivering them for his teams a lot of the team. When Ronaldo plays poor though his teams still have a good chance of winning, when Messi plays poor his teams are dead in the water. It’s a luxury for Ronaldo to have had other teammates be able
To step up in the few times he couldn’t deliver. Even though Messi has had some incredible teammates, outside of the 6-1 psg match, I can hardly recall a Barca
Player outshine Messi in an important match in the past 4 years or so.
The bold is obviously an exaggeration but why do you think that's the case? You genuinely believe that what you're mentioning there is down to luck and it has nothing to do with the way they play at all? Really? Even though that according to yourself it's something that repeatedly happens through a long time period? That feels more like magic than luck.

In actuality his impact on the game when he's having a quiet game is still pretty big and he doesn't need to have the ball often for that to happen which means other teammates are more likely to shine. Out of the two Ronaldo's much more likely to be the one successfully adapting to the teammates around him too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.