Cristiano Ronaldo : The Juventus Chapter | Fin

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrEleson

It sure is

But then you take a closer look at the opponents he scored against - over 60 goals came against the like of Andorra, Armenia, Latvia, Luxembourg type of teams
And so? He can only score against what's put in front of him. Don't blame him, blame UEFA for some of their unbalanced qualifying match-ups. If he wasn't scoring in these games then the narrative would be the opposite and that he can't score even against farmers.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
It sure is

But then you take a closer look at the opponents he scored against - over 60 goals came against the like of Andorra, Armenia, Latvia, Luxembourg type of teams
Jesus the hate on here :lol::lol::lol:

Was this the excuse when he has less goals in his first 100 games?

I know it’s hard to fathom a player performing the same at club and international level but this is Ronaldo we are talking about.

Not Brazil not Argentina and not a perennial contender for major trophies but he still performs.

SportingCP96

Supports
Also Messi international goals here are some of the teams out of his 69 strikes.

Haiti
Venezuela
Bolívia
Paraguay
Nicarágua
Panamá
Hong Kong
Bósnia
Slovenia
Guatamala
Albânia
Peru
Algeria

also some of these teams he faced he faced multiple times and that’s not counting the game against similar level opposition in which he didn’t score.

So let’s stop this stupid narrative of “oh he’s facing farmers” when you see the teams Messi plays against.

also most of Messi goals are in friendlies where as Ronaldo is in the qualifying campaigns or in the actual tournaments themselves.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
So when we are talking about international goals are we counting friendlies as well?

Or are the 99 goals in official games only? I don't know why this question only popped on my mind after so much time.

(yes I know I could Google it)
It includes friendlies, but international friendlies are also official games, but just not competitive.

For example, Ronaldo had scored 99 international goals, 17 of those are from friendlies.

In comparison, Messi has scored 69 international goals, 33 of those are from friendlies.
Muller had scored 68 international goals, 29 of those are from friendlies.
Pele had scored 77 international goals, 34 of those are from friendlies.

bakalhau

I've just taken a look at Messi's international list and it's as impressive or not impressive as Ronaldo.

Brazil, Chile, Mexico, Switzerland, Uruguay, has score against some nice countries, 2 against Spain which were in friendlies AFAIK? Bosnia and Servia in WC which are mid level teams but were WC goals.

Meanwhile Ronaldo has 3 against Netherlands in Euros, 1 in a semi final. Only guy to score a world cup hattrick against Spain, Switzerland as well, Denmark Belgium Hungary...

I don't get what people expect these 2 to do in international football? You play so little of it you barely even get the chance to go against several world class teams. Argentina faced France once, Portugal faced France once as well. Messi got 2 assists in the game, Ronaldo never had the chance to prove himself because he got injured.

I'm not sure what people expect, really. Ronaldo has more than proved himself at international level, and has played under the same circumstances others players have in the last 30 years and yet none of them have gotten 100 goals even though they also play San Marino and Gibraltar.

Messi has been a level below Ronaldo IMO! at country level but I watch Argentina games and he's the heart and soul of that team and you can hardly ask more of him, he does it all for them.

I just can't scrutizine things like so many guys do here. I love Ronaldo and will always love him more than Messi, but in the end I'd rather just enjoy them both and their achievements instead of underplaying things others modern player under the same conditions have never achieved.

Reactions: jojojo

SportingCP96

Supports
It includes friendlies, but international friendlies are also official games, but just not competitive.

For example, Ronaldo had scored 99 international goals, 17 of those are from friendlies.

In comparison, Messi has scored 69 international goals, 33 of those are from friendlies.
Muller had scored 68 international goals, 29 of those are from friendlies.
Pele had scored 77 international goals, 34 of those are from friendlies.
So in other words half of Messis international goals are from non competitive games? Oh wow that’s quite a shocker:rolleyes:

but ya Ronaldo only scored against farmers só Messi goals are worth more I guess. Makes sense.:lol:

SportingCP96

Supports
@GifLord should stick to gifs. Don’t waste your time on Ronaldo, guy.
According to some enthusiastic posters Goals don’t count unless they say so. It’s understandable the salt in here I guess.

Watch how quick this gets flooded if he does not score for Juve next weekend. Don’t forget to quote this post so you can see how I can predict the future :lol:

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
So in other words half of Messis international goals are from non competitive games? Oh wow that’s quite a shocker:rolleyes:

but ya Ronaldo only scored against farmers só Messi goals are worth more I guess. Makes sense.:lol:
Yes, in terms of total no. of goals scored in friendly matches, out of all the current players, Messi is among top 2 in the list.

Goals scored in friendly
1. Neymar 42 out of 61 goals
2. Messi 33 out of 69 goals
3. Cavani 23 out of 49 goals
4. Lukaku 21 out of 52 goals
5. Suarez 21 out of 58 goals
6. Ibrahimovic 18 out of 62 goals
7. Lewandowski 17 out of 60 goals
8. Ronaldo 17 out of 99 goals
9. Dzeko 14 out of 58 goals
10. Griezmann 11 out of 29 goals
11. Kane 5 out of 31 goals

To be fair, Neymar is the true king of friendly. No one come close.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Over 60 is an exaggeration, I only counted at most 41.

You see, thats why I've said there are many haters here lurking around in this thread, waiting to bash Ronaldo at every chances, even when he had scored a goal.
I went back and counted the goals he scored against top 20 teams in the world (Fifa rankings - which rank the team was when he scored against them)
He scored 19 goals against top 20 teams.
Messi has 23

edit:
If somebody thinks i made a mistake
https://www.fifa.com/fifa-world-ranking/ranking-table/men/rank/id11976/
and do the counting for themselves

SportingCP96

Supports
Yes, in terms of total no. of goals scored in friendly matches, out of all the current players, Messi is among top 2 in the list.

Goals scored in friendly
1. Neymar 42 out of 61 goals
2. Messi 33 out of 67 goals
3. Cavani 23 out of 49 goals
4. Lukaku 21 out of 52 goals
5. Suarez 21 out of 58 goals
6. Ibrahimovic 18 out of 62 goals
7. Lewandowski 17 out of 60 goals
8. Ronaldo 17 out of 99 goals
9. Dzeko 14 out of 58 goals
10. Griezmann 11 out of 29 goals
11. Kane 5 out of 31 goals

To be fair, Neymar is the true king of friendly. No one come close.
Ya I know Neymar international goals total is “overhyped” I guess is the word? They are all in meaningless friendlies a lot of times vs weak opposition.

MrEleson

I went back and counted the goals he scored against top 20 (Fifa rankings - which rank the team was when he scored against them)
He scored 19 goals against top 20 teams. Messi has 23

edit:
not to mention he was always with an inferior Portuguese team. Only recently have they started becoming a top international side and even then there’s still 4-5 teams that are comfortably better.

SportingCP96

Supports
I went back and counted the goals he scored against top 20 (Fifa rankings - which rank the team was when he scored against them)
So only 4 more goals all while playing with much better players around him for 90% of his international career.

This Ronaldo guy is Not bad for a guy whose goals don’t count and who only scores against minnows.

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona

Because CONMEBOL teams play more friendly games since they don't have to qualify for their continental competition, they play almost double the amount of friendlies European teams play, and they don't get to put 7 goals into San Marino in an "official game".

And this goes for everyone, not just Leo. Ronaldo Nazario had the same problem, but at least when it was time to shine in the World Cup he scored 15 goals in just three tournaments, something that neither Messi or Cristiano have even become close to do.

SportingCP96

Supports
not to mention he was always with an inferior Portuguese team. Only recently have they started becoming a top international side and even then there’s still 4-5 teams that are comfortably better.
Ya I truly don’t think there is much of a debate on who has had the better international career.

cyberman

Downplaying 99 international goals is a new low for this thread.
Followed by the 2016 Euros win. New depths every few years it seems

SportingCP96

Supports
Because CONMEBOL teams play more friendly games since they don't have to qualify for their continental competition, they play almost double the amount of friendlies European teams play, and they don't get to put 7 goals into San Marino in an "official game".

And this goes for everyone, not just Leo. Ronaldo Nazario had the same problem, but at least when it was time to shine in the World Cup he scored 15 goals in just three tournaments, something that neither Messi or Cristiano have even become close to do.
Portugal never played San Marino but I know the point you were trying to say.

As for Brazilian Ronaldo he played in some god level teams for Brazil that if either Ronaldo or Messi played for they would have done the same if not more.

SportingCP96

Supports
Downplaying 99 international goals is a new low for this thread.
Followed by the 2016 Euros win. New depths every few years it seems
It’s insecurities over who they truly think is the best player of there generation I guess.

Like I said just wait for the game Ronaldo does not score in and watch how this thread will be spammed.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

edit:
Only counted top 20 teams? Whats the point? Messi has played over 137 international games, majority of the games are playing against team not in the top 20, what's the point of ignoring all those matches he had actually played, and also failed to score?

SirAF

Ageist
Only counted top 20 teams? Whats the point? Messi has played over 137 international games, majority of the games are playing against team not in the top 20, what's the point of ignoring all those matches he played, and also those he had failed to score?
Just spending time on going back to count is insane.

Red Stone

It is a known fact that Ronaldo has only scored a handful of worthy goals in his insignificant career. For example, back in 2007, United finished second in their Champions League group because Ronaldo's goals against lowly Sporting and Dinamo Kyiv were not deemed worthy, and thus it was United, and not Roma, that got drawn against Real Madrid in the first knockout stage. We also know that Ronaldo has negative 450 goals against Real Madrid, so United without a doubt lost that tie and never won the Champions League in 2008. The same applies for 2016 (since Ronaldo's crucial quarter final hat-trick was against Wolfsburg and not a better team) and 2017 (since Bayern allowed Ronaldo to score five goals against them and therefore clearly aren't very good). In fact, Ronaldo has no trophies at club level and has never won the Ballon d'Or. The myth that Portugal won the Euros in 2016 is also false since Ronaldo's two goals in the group stage of the major tournament that Portugal didn't qualify for anyway (because Armenia are shit) came against Hungary and not a good team like those that Messi plays against every week.

GifLord

Only counted top 20 teams? Whats the point? Messi has played over 137 international games, majority of the games are playing against team not in the top 20, what's the point of ignoring all those matches he had actually played, and also failed to score?
Because of team strength? Also CR has Euro Qualifiers while Messi doesn't have Copa America qualifiers

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Messi fanboys talking about the teams Ronaldo's scored against in international football when the biggest team Messi's scored against in an international tournament is Mexico...

We need to setup a bunch of friendlies with Brazil and Germany and then play Ronaldo for 90 minutes. That will solve the problem.

GifLord

Messi fanboys talking about the teams Ronaldo's scored against in international football when the biggest team Messi's scored against in an international tournament is Mexico...

We need to setup a bunch of friendlies with Brazil and Germany and then play Ronaldo for 90 minutes. That will solve the problem.
Was CR responsible for Portugal winning the European Championship ?

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona
What like Messi looking for the hat trick when there about 7-0 up in La Liga?
when are Barca up 7-0? This isn’t the EPL with 8-0, 9-0 score lines

And yes, Celta Viga are better than a lot of teams on that list.

99 is still a great tally obviously

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
It’s insecurities over who they truly think is the best player of there generation I guess.

Like I said just wait for the game Ronaldo does not score in and watch how this thread will be spammed.
bru, relax, he will be gone in a couple years but portugal (for you) and juventus (for me) will carry on without too much fuss... you have a good national team plus a few exciting youngsters, we have a new business plan to 2024 ;)

KirkDuyt

Supports
Feyenoord
Brilliant goal tonight. Didnt he get mad at someone for doing that a few weeks ago?

Daysleeper

Supports
Barcelona

Ah yes, the worst Spain side in decades, and Ronaldo also haS yet to score a single knockout goal in WC nor has Messi

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Because of team strength? Also CR has Euro Qualifiers while Messi doesn't have Copa America qualifiers
Messi had many friendlies though, against team like Hong Kong, Guatemala, Haiti, Nicaragua etc

SportingCP96

Supports
Is this seriously a question?

Without him we are eliminated in the group stages.

The winning goal in R16 came from his shot.

rallied the team to win the penalties vs Poland in the quarter finals. There are videos showing how he motivated everyone. I am sure this won’t count to you or Messi fans considering he missed his penalty vs Chile.

scored and assisted in the semi finals.

And you are asking if he played a part? Without him we are eliminated Vs Hungary.

In the Final he was injured by Payet (seemed on purpose) and Portugal won in the luckiest final I can remember.

Son

What like Messi looking for the hat trick when there about 7-0 up in La Liga?
You obvs don’t watch Barcelona much these days...

Messi bails them out pretty much every game when he plays. Last season there was a reason he was the best of the best. He’s been incredible at bailing them out over the past 2 years no player has even came close to his influence on a game to game basis.

SportingCP96

Supports

rallied the team to win the penalties vs Poland in the quarter finals. There are videos showing how he motivated everyone. I am sure this won’t count to you or Messi fans considering he missed his penalty vs Chile.

And you are asking if he played a part? Without him we are eliminated Vs Hungary.

In the Final he was injured by Payet (seemed on purpose) and Portugal won in the luckiest final I can remember.
Messi has played a Copa every other year it seems

Deery

Dreary

In the Xavi and Iniesta period 5 or 6 nil was a regular result.

SportingCP96

Supports
bru, relax, he will be gone in a couple years but portugal (for you) and juventus (for me) will carry on without too much fuss... you have a good national team plus a few exciting youngsters, we have a new business plan to 2024 ;)
Ya we have a good crop of players coming through just no goal scorers just yet.

GifLord

Messi has played a Copa every other year it seems
Would have been eliminated either way if it wasn't for the rule change

SirAF

Ageist
Stop spitting facts they don’t like that!
:lol:

If anything all this nonsense just proves that Ronaldo, at almost 35, is still fecking box office. Love him or hate him - the sheer amount of clicks he generate is insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.