Cristiano Ronaldo : The Juventus Chapter | Fin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bole Top

No offence, but I've never raised such point, so there's nothing there to debate.
Not that I agree or disagree, but you are targeting the wrong person I'm afriad.
I already answered him couple of pages ago. like I quoted him for that particular post, now I'm quoting you because you tried to base this silly debate purely on "hate" or whatever, while it's not case. look which post started this debate and what made several posters to, like you say, "bash" Ronnie.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
It's because they are insecure, how can such an inferior player in their eyes be compared to their god? If they were that confident about it they wouldn't be bashing Ronaldo at every opportunity and circling like vultures waiting for him to fail.
Yip.

I think both players are amazing, all timers but I'll be absolutely honest, I'll always have a soft spot for Ronaldo (like a lot of United fans?) but it doesn't stop me recognising that Messi is one of the greatest players to ever play the game.

But it seems that when there's a debate between the two, Ronaldo fans (generally) seem to argue why they feel Ronaldo is the better of the two....

Messi fans (generally) tend to belittle Ronaldo/Ronaldos' achievements. For example, "Euro 2016 win shouldn't count as he hardly played in the final".

As others have said, we should just enjoy the two of them as their (top level) careers are slowly coming to an end. Not every generation gets two such greats in direct competition... personally, I think they've relished in it and it's probably (maybe subconsciously) spurred them on.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
No is forcing the Messi fans to enter though.
Did I say I have a prpblem with that? I was just stating the facts which contradict what RedRonaldo claim. Actually I appreciate that practice because that way I know he scored again.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I already answered him couple of pages ago. like I quoted him for that particular post, now I'm quoting you because you tried to base this silly debate purely on "hate" or whatever, while it's not case. look which post started this debate and what made several posters to, like you say, "bash" Ronnie.
I am not even referring to your debate when I said there are haters bashing Ronaldo. there's nothing much I can do if you feel that way.

wr8_utd

:'(
Its doesn't matter, he is still currently the top scorer for both Juventus and Portugal this season. In fact, he has already scored 16 goals so far this season. Messi is on 9 goals so far by the way.
Why are we bringing Messi into this? Talking purely about Ronaldo here. Him scoring more goals in 2 games vs Lithuania than for Juve all season and that's worrying for Juve.
Never knew that fact! That’s actually insane.

Portugal are defo a top team these days. About on par with England. Both are capable of winning the Euros or a World Cup possibly in the not too distant future.

Bernardo Silva and Jao Felix are top talents. I’d love players like that at United.
I love Portugal and think they're a good team but I still don't think they're going to win the Euros sadly. You don't get to face the likes of Lithuania and Luxermbourg in the main tournaments. I was hopeful in the World Cup as well and that was a huge disappointment.

VP

:lol:

Ronaldo fanboys are such cry babies. Guess they take their cue from their hero.

wr8_utd

Yet the last SA team to win a WC was in 02. Not to mention the fact that the Euro is a tougher conception to win then the Copa.

Also either way saying that is pointless because it is known Messi is just not as good when he plays for Argentina compared to Barca and it is not for a lack of quality. If Ronaldo could do it with Postiga and Almeida and Raul Meireles then Messi should be able to do it with the likes of the Agueros and Di Maria’s of the world.

This constant attempt to devaluate anything Ronaldo does is disgusting. Messi has been blessed with the chance to compete for World cups thus the quality of players Argentina produce. Before Ronaldo Portugal had never won a major trophy. There international careers can not be compared as one is the clear winner.

For club level to each there own obviously.
Don't want to derail the thread but the kind of teams your Lukaku's, Kane's and Ronaldo's are up against in European and World Cup qualifiers are a bit of a joke. Harry Kane is scoring hat tricks in these games while he's got something like 1 PL goal in a month. For European teams, only the friendlies vs top teams and international tournaments are really of any worthy competition.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
Why are we bringing Messi into this? Talking purely about Ronaldo here. Him scoring more goals in 2 games vs Lithuania than for Juve all season and that's worrying for Juve.
nah, not worried at all... we got to the cl final in 2015 (with tevez and morata upfront + wonder midfield + riveted bbbc defense) and 2017 (with higuain and dybala + allegri’s masterpieces from the bench) already and the more sarri disentangles juve as a team from being fc ronaldo & friends, the better... he was sh*t vs lokomotiv and milan and deserved being subbed, his replacements were fundamental for the wins so well done to the coach... we can not forget he is converting 1 of 9 shots only instead of a more usual 1 of 3 for top strikers, so it can be sarri’s fault only?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Don't want to derail the thread but the kind of teams your Lukaku's, Kane's and Ronaldo's are up against in European and World Cup qualifiers are a bit of a joke. Harry Kane is scoring hat tricks in these games while he's got something like 1 PL goal in a month. For European teams, only the friendlies vs top teams and international tournaments are really of any worthy competition.
Harry Kane has scored 10 goals so far this season for Spur (6 in the league, 4 in CL), and 9 goals for England. He is actually doing pretty well in all competitions.

Lukaku has score 9 goals in Serie A and 3 goals for Belgium so far. He is actually doing better in Italy than in Euro qualifiers this season.

On the other hand, on the same Portugal team against the same opponents, Bernardo Silva has scored 5 goals in Premier league, and 3 goals in Euro qualifiers so far.

Joao Felix had scored 2 in La Liga, 1 in CL, and 0 in Euro qualifier.

I don't understand why you think goals scored in Euro qualifiers shouldn't count, just because Ronaldo happened to scored more goals there than for Juventus this season. Personally I only wouldn't count goals in friendly matches, if we have to discount something, as friendly is not strictly competitive in nature.

Last edited:

wr8_utd

Harry Kane has scored 10 goals so far this season for Spur (6 in the league, 4 in CL), and 9 goals for England. He is actually doing pretty well in all competitions.

Lukaku has score 9 goals in Serie A and 3 goals for Belgium so far. He is actually doing better in Italy than in Euro qualifiers this season.

I don't understand why you think goals scored in Euro qualifiers shouldn't count, just because Ronaldo happened to scored more goals there than for Juventus this season. Personally I only wouldn't count goals in friendly matches, if we have to discount something, as friendly is not strictly competitive in nature.
I'm not "not counting" them but when you're playing the kind of teams the European teams come up against, it doesn't really say much. Every group has around 2 teams which are meant to be beaten by 4-7 goals. Lukaku having an international record of something like 50 in 80 games says it all about the chasm between the big teams and the likes of San Marino, Andorra, Latvia, Lithuania, Montengero, Luxembourg etc.
nah, not worried at all... we got to the cl final in 2015 (with tevez and morata upfront + wonder midfield + riveted bbbc defense) and 2017 (with higuain and dybala + allegri’s masterpieces from the bench) already and the more sarri disentangles juve as a team from being fc ronaldo & friends, the better... he was sh*t vs lokomotiv and milan and deserved being subbed, his replacements were fundamental for the wins so well done to the coach... we can not forget he is converting 1 of 9 shots only instead of a more usual 1 of 3 for top strikers, so it can be sarri’s fault only?
Yeah I'm not blaming Juve or Sarri for it. I think Ronaldo's performances for Juve are worrying because he's had very few good games this season. As you say, his conversion rate has been poor and that's not Sarri's fault.

shamans

Thinks you can get an STD from flirting.
Past 2 pages are case in point. You rarely see Ronaldo fans trying to discredit messi with such desperation

The influx of usual Messi loyals (daysleeper, zehner) etc are first to popup here when ronaldo scores a goal or hattrick. They just HAVE to tell us how poor the opposition was or meaningless the goal. So much insecurity.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I'm not "not counting" them but when you're playing the kind of teams the European teams come up against, it doesn't really say much. Every group has around 2 teams which are meant to be beaten by 4-7 goals. Lukaku having an international record of something like 50 in 80 games says it all about the chasm between the big teams and the likes of San Marino, Andorra, Latvia, Lithuania, Montengero, Luxembourg etc.

Yeah I'm not blaming Juve or Sarri for it. I think Ronaldo's performances for Juve are worrying because he's had very few good games this season. As you say, his conversion rate has been poor and that's not Sarri's fault.
Lukaku is the only one example you can find. To be fair he had also scored over 129 goals in England, out of all current players, only 2 players had scored more goals than him in Premier league (Augero, Kane). He has also scored 9 goals in 12 Serie A games so far. In fact, even in WC finals, he had scored 4 goals in 6 games, which is in line with his goalscoring record for Belgium in qualifiers too. We all know he has poor technique and very poor first touch, and many here want him to fail, but in terms of goalscoring, he has always been prolific.

Last edited:

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Yip.

I think both players are amazing, all timers but I'll be absolutely honest, I'll always have a soft spot for Ronaldo (like a lot of United fans?) but it doesn't stop me recognising that Messi is one of the greatest players to ever play the game.

But it seems that when there's a debate between the two, Ronaldo fans (generally) seem to argue why they feel Ronaldo is the better of the two....

Messi fans (generally) tend to belittle Ronaldo/Ronaldos' achievements. For example, "Euro 2016 win shouldn't count as he hardly played in the final".

As others have said, we should just enjoy the two of them as their (top level) careers are slowly coming to an end. Not every generation gets two such greats in direct competition... personally, I think they've relished in it and it's probably (maybe subconsciously) spurred them on.
Agree, they are both brilliant players, the extremists should realise there's nothing wrong in appreciating both.

Bepi

Supports
Juventus
ops wrong thread, so editing with a well wishing siiiiuuuu :cool:

Schneckerl

Past 2 pages are case in point. You rarely see Ronaldo fans trying to discredit messi with such desperation

The influx of usual Messi loyals (daysleeper, zehner) etc are first to popup here when ronaldo scores a goal or hattrick. They just HAVE to tell us how poor the opposition was or meaningless the goal. So much insecurity.
Yeah, it's clearly insecurity and not people spreading fake news/lies like Lithuania is on the same level as Celta Vigo. :lol:
If you see this kind of nonsense in a Messi thread feel free to call them out.

Son

The whole Ronaldo hating debate on a United forum is insane. I personally think Messi is the greatest player ever but I’m enjoying Ronaldo why I still can.

When he retires I won’t be worrying about who was better. It will be sad.

He’s a true United legend & I’ll remember him most running down our wing with the number 7 on his back. That Ronaldo should be a hero to every United fan due to what he gave our club.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
The whole Ronaldo hating debate on a United forum is insane.
I think the total opposite. He fecked off out of Man United as he hit his prime. It's not surprising at all that a lot of fans don't like him. The love he gets on here amazes me.

If your boyfriend or girlfriend dumps you for a slightly hotter, slightly more successful person then it's perfectly understandable if you are a little immature and hold resentment towards them.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I think the total opposite. He fecked off out of Man United as he hit his prime. It's not surprising at all that a lot of fans don't like him. The love he gets on here amazes me.

If your boyfriend or girlfriend dumps you for a slightly hotter, slightly more successful person then it's perfectly understandable if you are a little immature and hold resentment towards them.
I'm admittedly petty and agree. He was my favourite player. Now, I can't say I'm a fan, though I appreciate what he achieved here.

SirAF

Ageist

Nah, that's ridiculous. He was THE key player in winning three straight league titles as well as a Champions League. He's also the only United player to have won the Ballon d'Or after the Holy Trinity. I don't think anyone should begrudge him moving on after that.

Son

Nah, that's ridiculous. He was THE key player in winning three straight league titles as well as a Champions League. He's also the only United player to have won the Ballon d'Or after the Holy Trinity. I don't think anyone should begrudge him moving on after that.
When people say he left us before hitting his prime. He gave our club enough in that time ‘6 years’ compared to pretty much any player we’ve ever had. George Best only had a few good years too yet many rate him as our finest player ever. Cantona never won us a European Cup either imo.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

Such nonsense. Quote a post of mine in which I do what you described there. I'm not one of those people, I don't need to downplay the one player because I prefer the other. I don't even want prefer one or want one to perform better to begin with because I'm not emotionally attached to them like you obviously are. I'd be the first to acknowledge if Cristiano played better based on what I expect a GOAT candidate to do (which is contributing and participating more through playmaking and dribbling), he simply doesn't in my eyes. I even had discussions with your equivalents in the Messi camp because I think that his passing is great but not best ever material since I see many players even in his own generation on an at least equal level. Is that what fanboys do?

Its Ronaldo thread, what do you expect? The man is nearly 35 and won't be playing forever, and all we want is to enjoy while it last. Why do you people strongly feel the need to spoil the party at every chances here? Especially when Ronaldo just scored a hat trick (including a good goal too), its really not necessary, its haters mentality, those type of things we won't do in Messi thread.

The stats being discussed here are all factually correct anyway (16 goals in all competitions this season, 700+ career goals etc), no one said he is anywhere near the form of best player in the world this season, but scoring 16 goals in past 3 months, for a player who is nearly 35, we are happy about it.
I don't care about the party, I don't want to spoil it. But when you guys try to deceive people's perception of Cristiano by posting stats that are not factually wrong but misleading because you define the metric differently to what most other people assume, it's only natural that others point that out. It's not lying in the purest form but as some other posters accurately described "intellectual dishonesty" at it's finest.

Oh and by the way, when you guys go on like 'he again proved all the haters here wrong' or 'and some haters in here say he's in decline' then that's an obvious side dig that is intended to provoke reactions from those you call 'haters'. In this very moment you've already lost the right to complain that others 'spoilt the party'. I mean, you basically invited them to do so.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
I would be more worried with the way Juve has been playing. Ronaldo is a luxury in a team and not a problem. Sarri IMO is a very overrated coach
SIIIIIIIIIIUUUUUUU :drool:

did it officially
Count as his goal?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
I would be more worried with the way Juve has been playing. Ronaldo is a luxury in a team and not a problem. Sarri IMO is a very overrated coach

did it officially
Count as his goal?
Its on the UEFA website this time, so I guess it counts.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
99 goals and also his best year internationally for Portugal I believe.

Going to be special when he gets to 100 goals.

bakalhau

So when we are talking about international goals are we counting friendlies as well?

Or are the 99 goals in official games only? I don't know why this question only popped on my mind after so much time.

(yes I know I could Google it)

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Since 2016 he has 44 goals in 41 games for Portugal. Unreal record.
It sure is

But then you take a closer look at the opponents he scored against - over 60 goals came against the like of Andorra, Armenia, Latvia, Luxembourg type of teams

pregra

Supports
FC Barcelona,Argentina
How many games have the 5 first teams on that list won the last 5 years? Probably none, unless they’ve faced each other:lol:

anyway, great achievement to get 100, can’t deny that even as a Messi fan. What «impresses» me is that he reaaaally wants to get more goals even when 4-0 up against these shit teams with 10 minutes to go. Don’t think I’ve ever seen another player with that hunger.

Deery

Dreary
How many games have the 5 first teams on that list won the last 5 years? Probably none, unless they’ve faced each other:lol:

anyway, great achievement to get 100, can’t deny that even as a Messi fan. What «impresses» me is that he reaaaally wants to get more goals even when 4-0 up against these shit teams with 10 minutes to go. Don’t think I’ve ever seen another player with that hunger.
What like Messi looking for the hat trick when there about 7-0 up in La Liga?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
It sure is

But then you take a closer look at the opponents he scored against - over 60 goals came against the like of Andorra, Armenia, Latvia, Luxembourg type of teams
Over 60 is an exaggeration, I only counted at most 41.

You see, thats why I've said there are many haters here lurking around in this thread, waiting to bash Ronaldo at every chances, even when he had scored a goal.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.