Cristiano Ronaldo : The Juventus Chapter | Fin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rossa

I find it weird as feck, personally. I support a club, not individual players. Couldn’t care less what happens to players at other clubs. Each to his own though. I think this whole “being a fan of individual players” stuff has leaked over from US sports. I can’t relate to it but am aware it’s a thing, so realise nothing I say will change anyone’s mind. I try to keep out of this thread as much as possible. Slow news day today!
I’m not sure it’s a trickle down from US sports. Rather, I think what Ronaldo and Messi have been doing for More than a decade is unprecedented. People love watching them play, and having a favourite is only natural. Some are over the top though. No doubt!

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Quite simply the best in the world.

I think the scariest thing about Ronaldos stats this season are....His team is literally absolute dog shit. If he played for a team like Bayern he would be hitting 40 goals in the league.

Quite literally has been no one like this man in the history of the Sport. Literally 1/1

Cal?

CR7 fan
You do realize that Serie A had an INSANE amount of PK this year right? As I said, Immobile is (I think) tied with CR7 as top scorer, does it make him one of the best? It's not about scoring them, it's about getting them. Ramos is the best goal scorer for Real Madrid (or second, it might be close with Benzema) since restart only by taking PK's because they got a lot of them. Who can seriously think that scoring 30 goals including 12 PK's is as hard as scoring 30 non PK goals.
You do realize that Bayern and PSG are far more dominate in their leagues than Juve are in Serie A?

How many players in the history of the competition has scored as many as 35yo Ronaldo in Serie A?

Obviously arguments can be made for Lewandoski being better this season, I just disagreed with your "by a long shot" point.

Cal?

CR7 fan
Quite simply the best in the world.

I think the scariest thing about Ronaldos stats this season are....His team is literally absolute dog shit. If he played for a team like Bayern he would be hitting 40 goals in the league.

Quite literally has been no one like this man in the history of the Sport. Literally 1/1
Well said, we should just enjoy these final seasons, probably won't see anyone as good ever again. :(

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
You do realize that Bayern and PSG are far more dominate in their leagues than Juve are in Serie A?

How many players in the history of the competition has scored as many as 35yo Ronaldo in Serie A?

Obviously arguments can be made for Lewandoski being better this season, I just disagreed with your "by a long shot" point.
Well, there's at least one this year. Is immobile a top forward? Clearly not. Was Quaglierella the best forward in Serie A last year? Of course not, but he got 9 PKs when Zapata and Piatek only had 1 and 2.

Also, you can't compare Juventus in Serie A with PSG in Ligue 1, its more complicated than that. Yes, PSG is more dominant but our players have to share the scoreboard between Mbappé, Neymar, Di Maria and Icardi (18,13 (with injuries), 12 and 7 goals). At Juventus with far more game, the 2nd best scorer is dybala with 11 goals.

But i'd make a step in your direction by removing "by a long shot", it might be excessive and i don't like arguying this way.

sizzling sausages

Thinks TBP is a soft tagline whore
Scout
I find it weird as feck, personally. I support a club, not individual players. Couldn’t care less what happens to players at other clubs. Each to his own though. I think this whole “being a fan of individual players” stuff has leaked over from US sports. I can’t relate to it but am aware it’s a thing, so realise nothing I say will change anyone’s mind. I try to keep out of this thread as much as possible. Slow news day today!
So you don't keep an eye on former players to see how they're doing? I think that's pretty common thing to do. Some do take it to extremes though admittedly! @SirAF

Cal?

CR7 fan
Well, there's at least one this year. Is immobile a top forward? Clearly not. Was Quaglierella the best forward in Serie A last year? Of course not, but he got 9 PKs when Zapata and Piatek only had 1 and 2.

But i'd make a step in your direction by removing "by a long shot", it might be excessive and i don't like arguying this way.
Immobile is a good forward in great form

Cal?

CR7 fan
That's exactly my poing, he's a good forward. Is he serie A history level because he scored 30+ goals? Obviously not.
Kevin Philips & Daniel Sturridge were Prem topscorers some time too. You get decent/good players having great seasons every so often.

I think Ronaldo's record down the years clearly indicate his level as GOAT

MrEleson

He’s not though is he. He’s an outstanding player but there are better forwards these days.

I’d argue on current form Martial is probably the better player which is understandable now. If he played in Italy for Juve no less right now he would score more often and better quality goals.
Martial wouldn't score more for Juve with their midfield. He'd have less than his current total without a doubt. And he isn't the better player. That's more than laughable even with Ronaldo being 35.

Arios

Supports
Juventus
30 league goals in 30 Serie A games this season :drool:
and 13 pens he is good but not that good like the old days.
But I gotta say that with proper managers with a offensive plan he could do much more in Serie A.
Sadly we had Allegri mr score once and drop back and Sarri Ball which never kicked in.

The potential is still there what's missing is a proper manager

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

Also, you can't compare Juventus in Serie A with PSG in Ligue 1, its more complicated than that. Yes, PSG is more dominant but our players have to share the scoreboard between Mbappé, Neymar, Di Maria and Icardi (18,13 (with injuries), 12 and 7 goals). At Juventus with far more game, the 2nd best scorer is dybala with 11 goals.

Juventus score 72 goals in 35 games this season (in comparison, best scoring team in the league, Atalanta, score 94 goals)
PSG score 75 goal in 27 games this season (in comparison, 2nd best scoring team in the league, Marsaille, only score 41 goals)

PSG totally dominates the league in terms of attacking. Juventus is rather poor in attacking among the top teams, they have best defensive record in the league though.

Put Ronaldo in PSG, he could easily score at least 40 league goals, I'd say.

Last edited:

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
and 13 pens he is good but not that good like the old days.
But I gotta say that with proper managers with a offensive plan he could do much more in Serie A.
Sadly we had Allegri mr score once and drop back and Sarri Ball which never kicked in.

The potential is still there what's missing is a proper manager
13 penalty as in all competitions I think. He score 45 goals in all competitions this season (for Juventus and Portugal).

And why does it matter? Penalty is not guarantee goals, just ask Pogba, Martial and Rashford (they miss 4 penalties in 6 attempts during early season)
Besides, Bruno is great and everyone here praise him when he scores penalty for us too (so was Cantona in the past, when he always converts penalty for us, everyone praise him for being a great penalty taker)

I don't understand the new logic here, why penally counts for everyone, except Ronaldo.

Last edited:

Arios

Supports
Juventus
13 penalty as in all competitions I think. He score 45 goals in all competitions this season (for Juventus and Portugal).

And why does it matter? Penalty is not guarantee goals, just ask Pogba, Martial and Rashford (they miss 4 penalties in 6 attempts during early season)
Besides, Bruno is great and everyone here praise him when he scores penalty for us too (so was Cantona in the past, when he always converts penalty for us, everyone praise him for being a great penalty taker)

I don't understand the new logic here, why penally counts for everyone, except Ronaldo.
sure sure but wouldn't the record be more impressive if it was 30-45goals without any penalty?

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
There's absolutely no salt in acknoledging a tremendous carrier while being honest about his performance this season. I didn't realize this thread was here to talk about fantasized games where he'd still be the best player in the world when it's pretty obvious to anyone who follows Juventus that he's not. He remains a top player at 35 and it's an unbelivable achievement, just not THE top player he could be in the past.
I honestly can't name 4 players better than him this season. He is still among top 2 or 3 player in the world I'd say.
Only Lewandowski is better than him this season, which I cant argue against.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
sure sure but wouldn't the record be more impressive if it was 30-45goals without any penalty?
Not really. Can you name how many penalty the top scorer of each season scored in past 10-15 years? I can't even name one. No one cares about this.
Or do anyone care how many penalties Pele score in his career, or Messi score in his peak seasons? No one cares too.

Fact is, people only care how many penalty Ronaldo scores and will try to discredit his effort by the number of penalty he scores, but that doesn't apply anyone else, only Ronaldo. Very strange phenomenon, isn't it? Maybe if Ronaldo wasn't a great penalty taker and miss a couples, like other often does (Pogba, Martial, Rashford etc), no one will care as much too?

Last edited:

Metalix

Supports
Juventus
Give the guy a bit respect.

Currently juventus aren't even top 5 in the league in terms of creating chances and still this is on his way to win the Golden boot and break serie a's all time record.

He in only one goal away to break juventus's best goalscorer in a single season.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Ok, so you're part of the "PK are real goals, it's as hard to score as a non-PK goal!!" crowd. But it's not, and we all know it. The same argument goes for Immobile.

That being said, i don't want to derail this thread so i'll leave you all to your opinions, apparently it can't be changed.
This penalty argument really leads to nowhere. One could also argue 5 yards tap-in isn't as hard to score as penalty, so should we discount all tap-in goals as well?

In fact, maybe every goals within the 12 yards, shouldn't be count as goals as well. Just be fair.

Bennz McCarthey17

Supports
Africa
Does any player in recent times, or even in history have as many haters as Cristiano?. I've never seen a thread so full of haters like this one before. They write all this gospel about how he's not the best, yet Cristiano keeps on breaking record after record, wherever he's gone.

I get it, in this era he was unlucky enough, to go toe to toe with everybody's darling favourite player (I blame the media) .Everybody's favourite team playing for Real. But come on, this is not normal. I find it utter stupid and abnormal to come to a thread celebrating a player, only to spread negative nonsense. And be pressed cause some posters are showing love to a player they love, in a thread about said player.

I doubt there has been a better 30 - 35 years old forward before. Records in England, records in Spain and now Italy, truly a legend.

SportingCP96

Supports
The record is impressive whatever way you look at it.

Juventude are by far the worst top team in the world. Yet besides this he scored this many goals at 35.

It’s mental he’s still this good.

SportingCP96

Supports
I honestly can't name 4 players better than him this season. He is still among top 2 or 3 player in the world I'd say.
Only Lewandowski is better than him this season, which I cant argue against.
The 3 best players this season (no order) have been Ronaldo, Messi, and Lewa.

Do I think Ronaldo would have even better numbers if you swap him with Lewa at Bayern? 100% but still Lewa has been brilliant.

To be 35 and to be still at the top of pinnacle football is insane And the crazy thing is I don’t see him skipping a beat next season either.

Maybe at 37 he might start to go down to 20 goals a season.

Think about what I just said though AT 37 he will most likely STILL score 20 a season (in Europe)

In MLS probably 35-40.

Utterly insane.

His longevity is only rivaled by LeBron James.

shahzy

Honestly i stopped caring about comparing Ronaldo with Messi years ago and just focussed on enjoying both of them while they are still around. I hope Juve or better yet, us buy both Messi and Ronaldo and we get to see them play together for a bit before they retire

DarkLord

Honestly i stopped caring about comparing Ronaldo with Messi years ago and just focussed on enjoying both of them while they are still around. I hope Juve or better yet, us buy both Messi and Ronaldo and we get to see them play together for a bit before they retire
Or Barca buy Ronaldo. One can only dream.
Level with Immobile now on 30 goals, can see him at 40 goals. If he does, he would have doubled his league goal tally from last season. I know it's Serie A but still incredible achievement for his age and only in his second season in Serie A. Still think he should have stayed on at Real. I'm sure he would still be going neck to neck with Messi for the Pichichi.

Ronaldo's Mum Eh?

Ronaldo is shite
Yeah.... I mean definitely a US sports thing considering Ronaldo's name is chanted at every single United away game in England.

Gee, wonder why those fans can never get over Ronaldo... when, you know .. they sing Ronaldo's name at a game he's not playing. God those damn United fans, why can't they get over him!?

Son

Martial wouldn't score more for Juve with their midfield. He'd have less than his current total without a doubt. And he isn't the better player. That's more than laughable even with Ronaldo being 35.
Serie A is pretty poor though as a league. Martial would defo score more than the Prem. We have hardly been a brilliant attacking force up until recently and he has missed a few months of the season I believe.

Martial can do things on his own that Ronaldo stopped doing 2 years ago if not longer. Dribbling, power, pace, acceleration even quick feet all goes to martial these days.

You can just do more with him in the team and some of Martials performances recently Ronnie wouldn’t be able to replicate anymore sadly.

Goals are one thing but all round play it’s surely peak players now who are ahead. Lewandoski is just a better footballer too these days & has been for two years but never gets a look in for the big prize.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Serie A is pretty poor though as a league. Martial would defo score more than the Prem. We have hardly been a brilliant attacking force up until recently and he has missed a few months of the season I believe.

Martial can do things on his own that Ronaldo stopped doing 2 years ago if not longer. Dribbling, power, pace, acceleration even quick feet all goes to martial these days.

You can just do more with him in the team and some of Martials performances recently Ronnie wouldn’t be able to replicate anymore sadly.

Goals are one thing but all round play it’s surely peak players now who are ahead. Lewandoski is just a better footballer too these days & has been for two years but never gets a look in for the big prize.
Not necessary true though. Martial average 1.6 dribble per game this season, Ronaldo average 1.8 dribble per game.
Martial scored 22 goals in 42 games for Man Utd this season. Ronaldo scored 34 in 42 games for Juventus.

So in terms of goals and dribbling, Ronaldo is still better.

You may argue its easier to score and perform in Italy, but we are also talking same league where our Bruno fail to shine not long ago.

So the question is, has he loss his pace, skill, power, dribble this season? Let's take a look at this:

He is still has bags of tricks in his pocket, his shots are still powerful, he still jumps higher than anyone else, he still has good burst of pace in his runs, and he still scores alot of goals. I'd say he is still by far the fittest 30+ years old players in the world. Sure his pace, strength, stamina and athleticism may not be up to his physical peak level back when he was at 25, but he is still easily good enough and better than most others, even at age 35. Yes he wasn't the same player as he was in 25, but he isn't anything less other top 25 years old player today, even in terms of physical/strength/pace/skill.

Last edited:

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
Still the best player in the world at 35
What? Do you actually watch the games or just log into sofascore or something?

Dybala has been much better just for starters

and then there is Sadio Mane, Lewandowski, De Bruyne etc

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
He’s not though is he. He’s an outstanding player but there are better forwards these days.

I’d argue on current form Martial is probably the better player which is understandable now. If he played in Italy for Juve no less right now he would score more often and better quality goals.
Why are you here talking about Ronaldo? you should be suing Claude instead.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.

Nah. Let's just talk about performance, and forget all the goals. Ronaldo avg rating in league this season is 7.91, with 10 MOTM performance. Dybala avg rating 7.48, with 3 MOTM performance. Yeh its just a reference from whoscored, and shouldn't be decisive to judge who's better. But Dybala clearly isn't much better for starters. And we are not even talking about goals. Sure there are games he is, but overall he isn't. You can be selective and keep comparing Ronaldo worst games to Dybala best games though, if that's your choice which forms your opinions.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Would he have had a better game if he had missed his penalty but scored the header that hit the bar?

Would his season be more impressive if he had missed 4 or 5 penalties and scored 4 or 5 other random chances from open play?

Main reason he gets to take a lot of penalties is that he wins a lot of penalties, same for Immobile.

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
Nah. Let's just talk about performance, and forget all the goals. Ronaldo avg rating in league this season is 7.91, with 10 MOTM performance. Dybala avg rating 7.48, with 3 MOTM performance. Yeh its just a reference from whoscored, and shouldn't be decisive to judge who's better. But Dybala clearly isn't much better for starters. And we are not even talking about goals. Sure there are games he is, but overall he isn't. You can keep comparing Ronaldo worst games to Dybala best games though, that's your choice.
Did you see the game today, Dybala was gliding through players and setting up Ronaldo on a plate, and then you log into Juventus forums and they all give Ronaldo a 8 or something. His ratings are insanely inflated..

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP

:lol::lol::lol:

Dybala isn’t half the player, maybe it’s time to actually watch the games

It’s funny how he’ll go from being one of the top 5 players in the world in some people’s heads to then being a completely average player when international football comes around. The Di Maria special

Last edited:
Least surprising directing of a thread this week!

I don’t know why a Ronaldo thread has to be a debate about whether he’s the best on the world or not. Do we really care? Especially this year, for goodness sake.

For a 35 year old to be banging in the no of goals he does, is a fantastic achievement.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
50 goals in La Liga, 50 in Serie A and 50 in Prem. Don't tell me he's not the greatest of all time

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Did you see the game today, Dybala was gliding through players and setting up Ronaldo on a plate, and then you log into Juventus forums and they all give Ronaldo a 8 or something. His ratings are insanely inflated..
Sure there are games where Dybala performs better. But overall he isn't, there are games where Dybala didn't perform too, you are just being selective here.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
So you don't keep an eye on former players to see how they're doing? I think that's pretty common thing to do. Some do take it to extremes though admittedly! @SirAF
I don’t go out of my way to follow their career, no. I remember being pleased for Forlan when he scored a lot of goals in Spain. I never bothered watching him play though. Anyhoo. People are weird. That’s ok. Some folk just need heroes, I guess.

Mogget

Supports
Arsenal
And yet, only 2 CL goals and 6 non-penalty league goals against the current top 10. He's a shadow of the player he was a few years ago.
I think that's moved up to 7 now?

The fact a 30 year old Immobile, who flopped at Dortmund, has also scored 30 league goals this season sort of takes the shine off too.

mancan92

I don’t go out of my way to follow their career, no. I remember being pleased for Forlan when he scored a lot of goals in Spain. I never bothered watching him play though. Anyhoo. People are weird. That’s ok. Some folk just need heroes, I guess.
I don't see how it's weird. Many people like watching other leagues and teams to see the best players in the world. On this forum we have threads about all sorts of teams and players that have absolutely nothing to do with united. I don't see how it's surprising that a former united great is followed. It doesn't sound weird at all. If you like football as a sport rather than just a rivaly campaign then you will seek out to see the best players play.

Status
Not open for further replies.