Cristiano Ronaldo : The Juventus Chapter | Fin

Status
Not open for further replies.

West London White

Supports
Fulham
A lot of people on this thread are going to look very silly indeed when he gets going. Writing him off after just 3 games is absurd.

JohnJohn

Supports
Real Madrid
Starts in the last 4 seasons of Cristiano Ronaldo:

- 15/16: 5 goals in the first 7 games, all in one game;
- 16/17: 1 goal in the first 4 games;
- 17/18: 1 goal in the first 8 games, 0 in the first 3;
- 18/19: 0 goals in the first 3 games

If he was still at Real nobody would think this is wierd
And nobody has a problem with that? Last year he had a 1:1 ratio in la Liga, but actually he didn't score in half of the games he played. How is that possible? Because he scored a lot of braces and hat tricks.

Excuse me, but for me it's not the same to score 6 goals in 6 different games, than to score 2 hat tricks in a couple of games and 0 goals the other 4. On top of that, in most cases those hat tricks are not necessary for the victory, they are the 4th or 5th goal in the 85 minute in a 5-1 victory. The problem is that someone else has to score goals in those other 4 games.

The last time Madrid won la Liga, a couple of years ago, Ronaldo scored 25 and Morata 15. Morata's goals gave more points to Madrid than Ronaldo's. This is not an opinion you can look it up if you want, all the games with the scorers are in "Google".

Don't get me wrong, Ronaldo is a fantastic player, especially in CL, where he is a beast, a legend. But last year's CL it's an example of what I'm saying, he scored 15 goals, which is amazing. However he didn't score in the semifinals against Bayern or in the final against Liverpool.
Madrid had to score 7 goals in those 3 games to win the CL, he didn't score a single one, but the worst thing is that he didn't even participate in any of those 7 goals.

I'm sure he will score a lot of goals this season, I would be very surprised otherwise, but not all goals have the same value.

Reactions: van der star

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
A lot of people on this thread are going to look very silly indeed when he gets going. Writing him off after just 3 games is absurd.
No one is seriously „writing him off“. It’s more making fun of some fans calling his Juve performances „superb“ or “great“. I didn’t even mention Benz scoring at will for Real now that Ronaldo is gone...

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
I don't think people are completely writing him off but he's what?, 34 now? That's he's declining is only normal.

pensionator

Supports
Juventus
Ronaldo is the player with most shots on target at the moment (considering all the major European leagues).

The problem is that he’s playing for a new team in a different league.

Serie A is much slower paced than La Liga, and he constantly has 3 to 4 defenders on him (that also explains why out of 7 goals only 3 have been scored by our attackers and the rest by the midfield). There are a lot less spaces and the average team spends 3/4th of the game parking the bus in their half, especially against us since they know it’s the only way to get away with points.

Plus, Allegri is a great manager but he’s also a bit of a coward as he will always choose the starting XI that gives him the best cover. Indeed yesterday we saw the likes of Costa and Dybala on the bench.
What I am saying is that the team he chose against Lazio and Parma is simply not qualitative enough to support Ronaldo; yesterday our scheme was to give Cuadrado the ball and let him cross into the box from the right, looped for like 80 minutes. Of course Ronaldo will never score if he always play like this.
Guys, we are the Manchester United of Italy (I mean, the current United) in terms how ugly we play, bar the only difference is that in Italy this actually brings results.

And he even managed to get some chances. A couple he missed badly I’d say and a couple went off by millimeters. It resembles a lot the beginning of last season, when he was actually shooting a lot but being constantly unlucky (I remember 3/4 posts and a couple of miraculous saves).

In the last 10 minutes with both Costa and Dybala on it got better. They speak the same language, one which Matuidi and Khedira and even Bernardeschi (they are all great players but in different ways) don’t and will never speak.

Finally, it’s the beginning of the season. We have always had shitty starts with Allegri, in 2015/16 we even got only 2 points in 3 games.

Once we find the best XI and the team adapts to Ronaldo he’ll start to score consistently.
He’s still there and if you watch the game you can notice it.

Last edited:
Reactions: van der star

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
Ronaldo is the player with most shots on target at the moment (considering all the major European leagues).

The problem is that he’s playing for a new team in a different league.

Serie A is much slower paced than La Liga, and he constantly has 3 to 4 defenders on him (that also explains why out of 7 goals only 3 have been scored by our attackers and the rest by the midfield). There are a lot less spaces and the average team spends 3/4th of the game parking the bus in their half, especially against us since they know it’s the only way to get away with points.

Plus, Allegri is a great manager but he’s also a bit of a coward as he will always choose the starting XI that gives him the best cover. Indeed yesterday we saw the likes of Costa and Dybala on the bench.
What I am saying is that the team he chose against Lazio and Parma is simply not qualitative enough to support Ronaldo; yesterday our scheme was to give Cuadrado the ball and let him cross into the box from the right, looped for like 80 minutes. Of course Ronaldo will never score if he always play like this.
Guys, we are the Manchester United of Italy (I mean, the current United) in terms how ugly we play, bar the only difference is that in Italy this actually brings results.

And he even managed to get some chances. A couple he missed badly I’d say and a couple went off by millimeters. It resembles a lot the beginning of last season, when he was actually shooting a lot but being constantly unlucky (I remember 3/4 posts and a couple of miraculous saves).

In the last 10 minutes with both Costa and Dybala on it got better. They speak the same language, one which Matuidi and Khedira and even Bernardeschi (they are all great players but in different ways) don’t and will never speak.

Finally, it’s the beginning of the season. We have always had shitty starts with Allegri, in 2015/16 we even got only 2 points in 3 games.

Once we find the best XI and the team adapts to Ronaldo he’ll start to score consistently.
He’s still there and if you watch the game you can notice it.
Isn't it a bit unfair to say Allegri is having a shitty start when he's won 3 in 3 games? Just because Ronaldo may not be firing on all cylinders yet, surely that doesn't mean that Allegri is just having a shitty start?

Toad

Settling into a new league and playing with new team mates, he will start banging them in soon.

pensionator

Supports
Juventus
Isn't it a bit unfair to say Allegri is having a shitty start when he's won 3 in 3 games? Just because Ronaldo may not be firing on all cylinders yet, surely that doesn't mean that Allegri is just having a shitty start?
I mean in terms of form. That’s historically a characteristics of Allegri’s teams, because of the work load of the pre-season.

Basically his teams walk until December and only then they start to be on form, as he plans to reach the peak in March/April.

Which can be dangerous, because as I said in 2015/16 we were 14th until November, and this season we won in the stoppage time against a below average Chievo and now with difficulty against Parma. But that’s normal, for now.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
Juventus are not very patient and are certainly not renowned to throw money away. They bought a 34 year old for ridiculous money and gave him a ridiculous salary for the sole intention of winning the CL. If he doesn't hit the ground running than patience will run thin very quickly. Imagine the falcao situation and multiply it by 10000

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Juventus are not very patient and are certainly not renowned to throw money away. They bought a 34 year old for ridiculous money and gave him a ridiculous salary for the sole intention of winning the CL. If he doesn't hit the ground running than patience will run thin very quickly. Imagine the falcao situation and multiply it by 10000
How would they express their lack of patience?

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
It's probably impossible considering he isn't really greatest finisher you'll see, but imagine if Benzema scores around 50 goals this season :lol:

vincent11

And nobody has a problem with that? Last year he had a 1:1 ratio in la Liga, but actually he didn't score in half of the games he played. How is that possible? Because he scored a lot of braces and hat tricks.

Excuse me, but for me it's not the same to score 6 goals in 6 different games, than to score 2 hat tricks in a couple of games and 0 goals the other 4. On top of that, in most cases those hat tricks are not necessary for the victory, they are the 4th or 5th goal in the 85 minute in a 5-1 victory. The problem is that someone else has to score goals in those other 4 games.

The last time Madrid won la Liga, a couple of years ago, Ronaldo scored 25 and Morata 15. Morata's goals gave more points to Madrid than Ronaldo's. This is not an opinion you can look it up if you want, all the games with the scorers are in "Google".

Don't get me wrong, Ronaldo is a fantastic player, especially in CL, where he is a beast, a legend. But last year's CL it's an example of what I'm saying, he scored 15 goals, which is amazing. However he didn't score in the semifinals against Bayern or in the final against Liverpool.
Madrid had to score 7 goals in those 3 games to win the CL, he didn't score a single one, but the worst thing is that he didn't even participate in any of those 7 goals.

I'm sure he will score a lot of goals this season, I would be very surprised otherwise, but not all goals have the same value.
Yeah I agree, you do not count goals you weight them. It's true that he didn't score against bayern and liverpool but basically Real getting through with Juve is 90% his work and he was important with PSG. In the final of 2017 he scored twice, he scored in 11 straight CL matches and I could go on. If he starts banging goals in the CL, where you do not have 3 players man marking him or teams whose only purpose is to beat Juve and then lose the next 5 matches, no Juve fan will complain.

Reactions: Sultan

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
How would they express their lack of patience?
Juventus are extremely ruthless towards players who do not delivèr or aren't able to deliver anymore. They also have a fantastic board room filled with experienced Football people which means that they get rid of players quickly. If Ronaldo fails to deliver this season then he will probably find himself as persona non grata in the next

Oga on top.

Supports
Liverpool
I was reading online this morning that Jose apparently vetoed Woodward from moving for Ronaldo which would seriously piss me off if I was a United fan. He's 34 but he would have still got at least 25 goals this season, if there was an opportunity to sign him I don't get why Jose wouldn't take it.

JohnJohn

Supports
Real Madrid
Yeah I agree, you do not count goals you weight them. It's true that he didn't score against bayern and liverpool but basically Real getting through with Juve is 90% his work and he was important with PSG. In the final of 2017 he scored twice, he scored in 11 straight CL matches and I could go on. If he starts banging goals in the CL, where you do not have 3 players man marking him or teams whose only purpose is to beat Juve and then lose the next 5 matches, no Juve fan will complain.
I agree, without him, probably Madrid would not have won last year's CL, but the difference is that one thing is a "fact" and the other is a "what if".

What's a "fact"? That Madrid didn't need Ronaldo whatsoever in the semis or the final to win. He was nowhere to be found, in fact he was a handicap, because you could say that Madrid played those important games with 10 players.

What's a "what if"? That even if Ronaldo was a fundamental player with his goals against PSG and Juventus, we will never know what would have happend if Asensio or Bale would have played instead of him. Of the 7 goals I mention earlier, Benzema scored 3, Bale 2, Asensio 1 and Marcelo 1.

I don't know if you have seen many games last year of Madrid, but if you did, you would have notice that Benzema was more worried with giving the ball to Ronaldo than anything else, even if that was not the best option available. The same could be said about everybody else in the team, sometimes it was ridiculous and wasted a lot of oportunities.

Last edited by a moderator:

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I was reading online this morning that Jose apparently vetoed Woodward from moving for Ronaldo which would seriously piss me off if I was a United fan. He's 34 but he would have still got at least 25 goals this season, if there was an opportunity to sign him I don't get why Jose wouldn't take it.
United would have had to negotiate with Perez anyways. The 100m "release clause" was only for teams outside the PL or PSG

NotQuiteManc

If United were to be involved, it would probably be 200 million just to cover the fax tax.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
The pace of the premier league would be the worst thing possible for him at this stage of his career. I doubt he'd have even wanted to come back.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Times like these you can differentiate the knowledgeable ones from the clueless.

SportingCP96

Supports

Yes but they also would have been knocked out in the rounds before if not for Ronaldo himself so whats your point ? You have to be fair when you make statements like that.

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
Yes but they also would have been knocked out in the rounds before if not for Ronaldo himself so whats your point ? You have to be fair when you make statements like that.
How do you know they would have been knocked out? Someone else takes his place and maybe they finish top of the group not second

SportingCP96

Supports
How do you know they would have been knocked out? Someone else takes his place and maybe they finish top of the group not second
Because they didn't. I am not just talking about the groups knockouts as well Without Ronaldo chances they would have been eliminated vs PSG and certainly by Juventus. The things that I find amazing is how much people try to downplay Ronaldo for EVERYTHING or take credit away from him for everything while other players dont even get questioned. This Man has conquered everything in football he is the only one of the current top 5 players in the world to do that.

Yet If we say facts or defend him its because were fanboys and are blowing him instead of people who actually know football:wenger::rolleyes:

Vialli_92

Supports
Juventus
Because they didn't. I am not just talking about the groups knockouts as well Without Ronaldo chances they would have been eliminated vs PSG and certainly by Juventus. The things that I find amazing is how much people try to downplay Ronaldo for EVERYTHING or take credit away from him for everything while other players dont even get questioned. This Man has conquered everything in football he is the only one of the current top 5 players in the world to do that.

Yet If we say facts or defend him its because were fanboys and are blowing him instead of people who actually know football:wenger::rolleyes:
He hasn't won the world cup so what is your definition of "conquering everything in football"

zkap

Supports
Barça

True.

During last season, I thought Ronaldo cost Madrid in the league. Any player can have a bad run of form, but you should look at the season as a whole and judge accordingly. Ronaldo concentrated his best games in a short period of time, the image of the bicycle kick goal is burned into people's minds, and together with scoring some braces around that time against the Eibars and Gironas, that makes a season I guess.

Ronaldo is even praised for being able to kick into high gear when everybody's "written him off," but the truth is, at no point during last season was Ronaldo disadvantaged in any way. He was being doubted because his performances were mostly quite poor for the first half of the season, that's on him. Perception is very important, Ronaldo looked unstoppable for two months and it overshadowed the rest of the games so he isn't judged on the entire 17/18 season. If he were, it'd be a lot less impressive.

AngliaRed

If he fails to score a single goal all season but scores a tap in which secures the champions league trophy then he has achieved what Juventus bought him for.

Ridge Racer

Supports
Real Madrid
When Madrid signed Zidane, he had a very bad start to the campaign and people/press wondered if it was wise to spend so much money on such an old player (and he was what, 30?). Then he turned it up and showed his level. I think people just discount how hard it is to adapt to a new club and country past a certain age. Also Ronaldo has become a slow starter in the last few seasons as well.

SportingCP96

Supports
He hasn't won the world cup so what is your definition of "conquering everything in football"
He won a major tournament for his country so yes he has. Asking him to win the World Cup with a country who has never come close nor has it had the quality too bar 2006 is laughable for a majority of his international career his attacking partners included Postiga and Almeida with a midfield of Veloso and meireles, Lets not be daft. He has not had the luxury of playing with the world class like most of the Spanish NT France NT or Argentina compared to Portugal. So for him to win a competition as big as the European championship which is something no one has ever done for Portugal yes that is a pretty dam complete career. If anyone expected or considered Portugal ever to be a favorite to win the World Cup then they need to be checked.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
Don't believe everything you read

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!

He got injured after the Juventus games at some point IIRC so wasn't fully fit for the semi finals. He wasn't in it at all in the final granted.

But then the season before he turned up completely in the knockout rounds so it's hard to complain about his goal output.

He has the most knockout goals of anyone in the Champions League, miles ahead of Messi whose knockout stats are poor to say the least. He turns up when it matters, usually.

Lemansky

He did not veto it. Confirmed it right now in the presser after the game. The decision was never on his table.

SharpshooterTom

Ronaldo declining at 34/35 would be a worry given Messi is likely to be contending for the best player in the world till the age of 40 at least.

Messi's got a minimum of 5 ballon d'or's left in him, Ronaldo will want to be competitive for the best player in the world till his late 30s.

Messi will get about 10/11 Ballon d'or's, but how many will Ronaldo get?

pregra

Supports
FC Barcelona,Argentina
Think that is a bit optimistic mate. For Messi to win more Ballon d’Ors, Barca must win the Champions League. Can’t see that happening more than a couple of times at most in the years Messi has left playing.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He might rediscover his form but this is why you don't pay €120m for a 34 year old. If he doesn't, you're fecked.

xoxox

Supports
Juve
If he fails to score a single goal all season but scores a tap in which secures the champions league trophy then he has achieved what Juventus bought him for.
Even if he miss the tap in and it turns into a pass for someone else to score, it'll be success as long as Juve win the CL

Status
Not open for further replies.