Cristiano Ronaldo : The Juventus Chapter | Fin

Status
Not open for further replies.

wr8_utd

:'(
Without him I have my doubts that we would have won it. I am basing this on the performances from last season and on the difference between the Juve with and without Ronaldo this season.

If it weren't for the explosion of Kean (the only scorer in the league after Ronaldo's injury) we would have lost or tied all the last 5 games.

The fact that we won it by 20 points has more to do with a terrible year for Serie A as a whole
Exactly why you'd have won it even with Bebe up top.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
Allegri cost him Balon 6 by being a coward.
Not really. Allegri will cost him goals by playing defensive football, he's a good tactical coach though. You just can't afford to play defensive football with a back two consisting of Bonucci and Rugani at that level which is midtable quality in Serie A when it comes to actual defending. Juve are good, they're not good enough to have several key players out injured and have great odds of going through to a Champions League final though.

They could have made it regardless but it was always obvious that they'd be more prepared next season than they'd be for this current one. Now they need to buy well and make some proper physical preparation to have all key players fit for this stage of next season.

There's always the tendency to slate a manager's approach when he plays defensive football and he doesn't get the result. Juve are a defensive team and that's how they should keep playing, they need to keep their identity.

Last edited:

RooneyLegend

No, I don't like Allegri and his use of a lot of his players.

At the same time Ronaldo should've known what he would get himself into. It was never going to be easy to win the Ballon d'Or in Italy.
Ohk, then let's hear about this amazing talent they apparently have.

mdvmia

Supports
Barcelona
Not really. Allegri will cost him goals by playing defensive football, he's a good tactical coach though. You just can't afford to play defensive football with a back two consisting of Bonucci and Rugani at that level which is midtable quality in Serie A when it comes to actual defending. Juve are good, they're not good enough to have several key players out injured and have great odds of going through to a Champions League final though.

They could have made it regardless but it was always obvious that they'd be more prepared next season than they'd be for this current one. Now they need to buy well and make some proper physical preparation to have all key players fit for this stage of next season.

There's always the tendency to slate a manager's approach when he plays defensive football and he doesn't get the result. Juve are a defensive team and that's how they should keep playing, they need to keep their identity.
That's the first time I've seen a comment like that. Obviously they'll be among the contenders next season, but I would definitely have thought that this past season was their best chance in the Ronaldo era. There's a lot of factors that will make next year harder imo

•The competition will likely be tougher with Bayern and Madrid strengthening a lot over the summer and PSG surely putting up a better challenge.

•Juve have an aging squad with Ronaldo, Chiellini, Mandzukic, Matuidi, and Bonucci all getting into their 30s. Ronaldo and Chiellini are probably their two most important players and both will be 35 next year's knockout stages.

•Juve had the luxury of rotating as much as needed this season given their huge lead in Serie A. Maybe they'll do the same next year but I wouldn't be surprised if the title race is a bit tighter and they can't rotate as often.

•Signing Ronaldo gave them a huge psychological boost and aura in the competition this season. After losing the way they did to Ajax, they certainly won't have it as much next season.

•A big transfer window could help them a lot, but their budget doesn't seem too big after the signings they made last summer. In comparison to the other contenders, they'll probably have one of the more underwhelming summers.

Reactions: van der star

Spielmacher

Ohk, then let's hear about this amazing talent they apparently have.
What's not to get? If they'd play more expressive Ronaldo would get more chances, therefore increasing his chances of winning the Ballon d'Or.
You're taking the piss if you think Allegri couldn't play more attractive football with this squad.

zkap

Supports
Barça
That's the first time I've seen a comment like that. Obviously they'll be among the contenders next season, but I would definitely have thought that this past season was their best chance in the Ronaldo era. There's a lot of factors that will make next year harder imo

•The competition will likely be tougher with Bayern and Madrid strengthening a lot over the summer and PSG surely putting up a better challenge.

•Juve have an aging squad with Ronaldo, Chiellini, Mandzukic, Matuidi, and Bonucci all getting into their 30s. Ronaldo and Chiellini are probably their two most important players and both will be 35 next year's knockout stages.

•Juve had the luxury of rotating as much as needed this season given their huge lead in Serie A. Maybe they'll do the same next year but I wouldn't be surprised if the title race is a bit tighter and they can't rotate as often.

•Signing Ronaldo gave them a huge psychological boost and aura in the competition this season. After losing the way they did to Ajax, they certainly won't have it as much next season.

•A big transfer window could help them a lot, but their budget doesn't seem too big after the signings they made last summer. In comparison to the other contenders, they'll probably have one of the more underwhelming summers.
I agree. A team that played two out of the last four Champions League finals should have been counted as a serious contender for the title this year. As time passes, their chances aren't going to get much better because important players are ageing. But we know why Juventus are talked down by some on here.

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP

Chiellini and Ronaldo are still good to go, the others aren’t declining. They’ll add to the squad and obviously be stronger next year than they were this year.

Teams are built and it takes time, you don’t just add a big player and everything’s immediately perfect.

I agree. A team that played two out of the last four Champions League finals should have been counted as a serious contender for the title this year. As time passes, their chances aren't going to get much better because important players are ageing. But we know why Juventus are talked down by some on here.
If Madrid sell Modric, Ramos and Benzema and buy no one will they be favourites for next year’s Champions League because they got to 4 of the past 6 CL finals? How does Juventus getting to a CL final in 2015 have any implications on how they should be doing now when there isn’t one single player in the squad that played that final bar Bonucci?? Ronaldo is playing with Matuidi, Can, Pjanic. Not Marchisio, Pirlo, Vidal, Pogba. Even with Ronaldo joining, they had a better team in 2015 than they do now.

I said it before the season started, it was obvious they had clear weaknesses and they’ll improve as time goes on. You Barcelona fans really are a special breed.

RooneyLegend

What's not to get? If they'd play more expressive Ronaldo would get more chances, therefore increasing his chances of winning the Ballon d'Or.
You're taking the piss if you think Allegri couldn't play more attractive football with this squad.
If they played more open they'd lose more. What im questioning is you saying the squad is filled with great players. It's not like we didnt see them get outplayed by Ajax trying to play on the front foot.

Spielmacher

If they played more open they'd lose more.
Possible, but I think having Ronaldo in your team means you need to build everything around him and play to his strengths as much as possible, in order to make him his best possible self, which in turn makes his team the best possible self, same as with Messi basically. I don't think Allegri did that at all for most of the season, which is fine, as long as they're happy with what they achieve currently. Just surprising that they signed him in the first place then.

It's not like we didnt see them get outplayed by Ajax trying to play on the front foot.
I didn't watch the game, I watched us get battered by Barcelona, but getting outplayed in one game while trying to play attractive football doesn't mean they should never play on the front foot, just maybe that they should try it more consistently to get better at it.

What im questioning is you saying the squad is filled with great players.
Lots of players I like and think are great names. Bentancur, Dybala, Alex Sandro, Pjanic, Matuidi, Cancelo, Chiellini. They have enough talent to build a solid platform to play some nice football, no? I just never seem to enjoy watching them play football.

pensionator

Supports
Juventus
If they played more open they'd lose more. What im questioning is you saying the squad is filled with great players. It's not like we didnt see them get outplayed by Ajax trying to play on the front foot.
To be fair we arrived at those games in the worst possible conditions, all players except Ronaldo and Can were in terrible form and we had to play without Chiellini, Douglas Costa, Khedira (him and costa were out all season), Cuadrado, Mandzukic (who played with an injury in the first leg and in the games before that) and Dybala got injured at half time.
That’s 6 starters

Actually in these last two seasons the team has proved to be more comfortable playing an attacking football than a defensive one, every time we try to speculate we lose or tie

The debacle of this season is entirely on the coach who was not able to give the players any guidance (seriously we have had no idea of what to do with the ball for at least the last two seasons), and on the coach’s staff for the terrible form and astonishingly high figure of injuries we had throughout the year.

Last edited:

RooneyLegend

Possible, but I think having Ronaldo in your team means you need to build everything around him and play to his strengths as much as possible, in order to make him his best possible self, which in turn makes his team the best possible self, same as with Messi basically. I don't think Allegri did that at all for most of the season, which is fine, as long as they're happy with what they achieve currently. Just surprising that they signed him in the first place then.

I didn't watch the game, I watched us get battered by Barcelona, but getting outplayed in one game while trying to play attractive football doesn't mean they should never play on the front foot, just maybe that they should try it more consistently to get better at it.

Lots of players I like and think are great names. Bentancur, Dybala, Alex Sandro, Pjanic, Matuidi, Cancelo, Chiellini. They have enough talent to build a solid platform to play some nice football, no? I just never seem to enjoy watching them play football.
Juve threw the whole budget at getting Ronaldo in so I fail to see with what were they supposed to build the team around him. It's not as though they are Jose's United side that doesn't bother to play. All those flashy players that you want them to have in order to play with Ronaldo are expensive.

I also watched us get spanked, then I watched them get outplayed at their own stadium. De Jong played rings around all those midfielders you list.

There biggest issue with them was a lack of caution at home. They had the upper hand and tried to outplay ajax which worked for 30 mins after that the youngsters of Ajax took over.

They shop alot in the free market, you're hardly going to get players who can play beautiful football while winning with the likes of Matuidy, Can, Bentancur in midfield. Dybalas form has also been poor and hes suffered with Injuries.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Even with Ronaldo joining, they had a better team in 2015 than they do now.
What? No no no no :lol:

This was the best side they've had over this 8 year stretch, both in the starting XI and especially their bench. They were particularly unlucky with injuries in CL, and Ajax are genuinely a great side in great form that for some reason is still not getting the respect they deserve

pensionator

Supports
Juventus
They shop alot in the free market, you're hardly going to get players who can play beautiful football while winning with the likes of Matuidy, Can, Bentancur in midfield. Dybalas form has also been poor and hes suffered with Injuries.
To be fair Can is probably the only midfielder I would actually be happy to keep after this season as he’s been the best one by far.
I’d save also Bentancur.

Pjanic was the true deadweight.

United58

The move was to take Juventus further in the CL.. so in that sense the transfer has been a flop. That was the mandate, simple, but fair.. they already was dominating Italy, got far in the CL, they needed the last piece of the puzzle ala Cantona as the catalyst for all our success in the 90s as he is hailed.
The thing with Cantona for us though was that he was the ringmaster of some incredible youth players coming through the academy, as well as a decent young core Ferguson signed in - have Juventus young players of the calibre of Beckham, Giggs, Scholes, Keane, Neville, Butt? A lot of their best players are in their 30s and they're signing Ramsey on £400k p/w - doesn't scream CL winners to me, not with the way the likes of City are investing. Allegri seems an incredibly conservative manager too, given the resources available - how many degrees is he from Moyes' hoofing it into the box tactic?

RooneyLegend

To be fair we arrived at those games in the worst possible conditions, all players except Ronaldo and Can were in terrible form and we had to play without Chiellini, Douglas Costa, Khedira (him and costa were out all season), Cuadrado, Mandzukic (who played with an injury in the first leg and in the games before that) and Dybala got injured at half time.
That’s 6 starters

Actually in these last two seasons the team has proved to be more comfortable playing an attacking football than a defensive one, every time we try to speculate we lose or tie

The debacle of this season is entirely on the coach who was not able to give the players any guidance (seriously we have had no idea of what to do with the ball for at least the last two seasons), and on the coach’s staff for the terrible form and astonishingly high figure of injuries we had throughout the year.
I disagree. Against big sides when you guys play on the back foot and hit on the counter you've done well, every time you guys tried to take over a match by playing on the front foot it's ended in tears.

zkap

Supports
Barça
If Madrid sell Modric, Ramos and Benzema and buy no one will they be favourites for next year’s Champions League because they got to 4 of the past 6 CL finals? How does Juventus getting to a CL final in 2015 have any implications on how they should be doing now when there isn’t one single player in the squad that played that final bar Bonucci?? Ronaldo is playing with Matuidi, Can, Pjanic. Not Marchisio, Pirlo, Vidal, Pogba. Even with Ronaldo joining, they had a better team in 2015 than they do now.
What about the team that played the 2017 final? Any links or merit there? And isn't Ronaldo supposed to be dragging his team? I mean, he did it with Madrid supposedly, so why not Juventus? Why ignore the 2017 team, Allegri and the fact they signed Ronaldo, who is supposed to be Mr. Champions League? Or is Ronaldo only Mr. Champions League when he has the platform for it?

I said it before the season started, it was obvious they had clear weaknesses and they’ll improve as time goes on. You Barcelona fans really are a special breed.
I know what you said and why you said it.

pensionator

Supports
Juventus
I disagree. Against big sides when you guys play on the back foot and hit on the counter you've done well, every time you guys tried to take over a match by playing on the front foot it's ended in tears.
In the past yes, but not in the last two seasons, the balance of the team has heavily changed.

The golden age of the Chiellini-Bonucci-Barzagli trio is gone and especially without Chiellini we concede a ton of chances and we are not as rock solid as before.

One example was the knockout against Tottenham last season: 2 goals in 10 minutes and chances over chances. Then we did as in the past and abandoned possession to defend; the result was Tottenham tied and slaughtered us at home. Against Ajax we scored first in both legs but then we conceded goals from a corner (where we should be strongest) and from a rebound with the defense all lined up.

Against Madrid last season we scored 3 and then we stopped attacking trying to defend until extra time. Madrid suddenly became 5 times more dangerous and eventually scored.

Against Atletico in the first leg vs the second leg etc.

But besides the champions league, I see it every weekend that this team defends better when attacking than when renouncing possession

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
What? No no no no :lol:

This was the best side they've had over this 8 year stretch, both in the starting XI and especially their bench. They were particularly unlucky with injuries in CL, and Ajax are genuinely a great side in great form that for some reason is still not getting the respect they deserve
They're worse all across the pitch... goalkeeper, defense and midfield were all miles better in 2015 than they are now. At least a couple of levels above in every department.

Bench is better. But that won't matter much in a competition like the Champions League, they need their starters fit.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
They're worse all across the pitch... goalkeeper, defense and midfield were all miles better in 2015 than they are now. At least a couple of levels above in every department.

Bench is better. But that won't matter much in a competition like the Champions League, they need their starters fit.
Except they weren't. They were better at defending, though not by much, and a far poorer and less talented team going forward.

And how does the bench not matter in CL? The whole point of a better and deeper bench is it gives you far more chances in CL, by the simple virtue of being better able to cope with injuries and loss of form of certain players

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
What about the team that played the 2017 final? Any links or merit there? And isn't Ronaldo supposed to be dragging his team? I mean, he did it with Madrid supposedly, so why not Juventus? Why ignore the 2017 team, Allegri and the fact they signed Ronaldo, who is supposed to be Mr. Champions League? Or is Ronaldo only Mr. Champions League when he has the platform for it?
He did. He played better than any other player in the knockouts of the Champions League so far. Again.

And no, he can't drag a team to victory on a knockout competition every year. No shit, noone can. Welcome to football. He gives his team a better chance of winning it all than any other player I've ever seen though that's for sure. Has anyone ever said that having Cristiano Ronaldo guarantees a CL title?

It was a lot easier to do it in Madrid than it is at Juventus. The better the team around him is, the better the chance he'll win it, obviously. Just like it is easier for Lionel Messi playing with the best group of players for a decade than any other player has had the pleasure of playing... yet apparently that doesn't matter though isn't it? Or can he only be the best player of all time when he has the platform for it???

I know what you said and why you said it.
Right... and I know what you said and why you said it. Clearly unbiased on your opinions you are. Great argument this...

Last edited:

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Except they weren't. They were better at defending, though not by much, and a far poorer and less talented team going forward.

And how does the bench not matter in CL? The whole point of a better and deeper bench is it gives you far more chances in CL, by the simple virtue of being better able to cope with injuries and loss of form of certain players
And they literally failed to do that this year...

It matters, not anywhere near as much as in the league. Without their starters, they're fecked either way. CL is a competition where individual players can make a much bigger difference, league titles are a squad's game.

Goalkeeper, defense and midfield were all miles better in 2015 than they are now. That's not even an argument. Even Tevez was better than Mandzukic. Barzagli, Bonucci and Chiellini have declined a lot and the midfield is completely gone.

If he had gone to Atletico would they be favourites to win the Champions League too because they got to 2 finals in the past 5 years? Such a nonsensical way to look at it, the team is as good as it is now. Not as good as a squad that is completely gone from 5 years ago.

pensionator

Supports
Juventus

Goalkeeper definitely not, Buffon was still good but it costed us in several occasions including that final (Suarez's goal, very bad mistake from him). Szczesny might not be hyped as other keepers like Alisson or De Gea but this season he made tons of incredible saves and literally nobody misses Buffon.

Defense yes overall, though Chiellini has even improved since then. With him on the pitch I'd say defense is better, the problem is what happens when he's not available.

For the midfield, that was a great midfield though you should consider that Pirlo was way past it (he was literally dragging himself on the pitch and we all wanted Marchisio to play in his place, as he excellently did in 2015/16), Vidal had a terrible season for his standards and Pogba was still a bit immature (I mean even more than he is now).

Tostao_80

Chiellini and Ronaldo are still good to go, the others aren’t declining. They’ll add to the squad and obviously be stronger next year than they were this year.

Teams are built and it takes time, you don’t just add a big player and everything’s immediately perfect.

Not one for detail are you Peyroteo?
Andrea Barzagli also played the 2015 CL final (next to Leonardo). He was in Juve's CL squad this year (played 3 matches and was on the bench in the defeat against Ajax).
I like how you prefer to focus on CL 2015 and not CL final 2017. When Juve convincingly knocked out Messi's Barca (with Neymar) in 2017 and reached the final, their midfield was the mighty Khedira and the aforementioned Pjanic. Sandro and Dybala also played along the way.
Now these players aren't all of a sudden good enough, just to suit your narrative.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
And they literally failed to do that this year...

It matters, not anywhere near as much as in the league. Without their starters, they're fecked either way. CL is a competition where individual players can make a much bigger difference, league titles are a squad's game.

Goalkeeper, defense and midfield were all miles better in 2015 than they are now. That's not even an argument. Even Tevez was better than Mandzukic. Barzagli, Bonucci and Chiellini have declined a lot and the midfield is completely gone.
No, you're talking bs here. 14/15 juventus was nowhere near as good as this season. Even their vaunted midfield really wasn't actually all that good going forward. They could press well in stretches and create chances off turnovers in the attacking third, but otherwise, it was pass it to Tevez and hope he does something amazing.

Chiellini's having the best season of his career, Cancelo and Alex Sandro are both difference makers, Pjanic had a disappointing season but is a great player and dead ball specialist with very few equals, they have the same ability to press and win the ball high as a team, and now they have Cristiano, Dybala, Mandzukic, Bernardeschi, Douglas Costa, Cuadrado, even Kean.

It's not even close.

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Any reason the 2017 Juventus team keeps getting overlooked?

Tostao_80

Any reason the 2017 Juventus team keeps getting overlooked?
To suit their narrative of course. EIGHT players from the 2017 CL final starting 11 are still at the club this season.
So let me get this right, these 8 players were good enough to get to the final in 2017, but with Ronaldo in 2019, theyre not even good enough to get to the semis?
Nonsensical.

Mark_Barca

Supports
Barcelona
To suit their narrative of course. EIGHT players from the 2017 CL final starting 11 are still at the club this season.
So let me get this right, these 8 players were good enough to get to the final in 2017, but with Ronaldo in 2019, theyre not even good enough to get to the semis?
Nonsensical.
Its' from the same poster who was wax lyrical over Kazakhstan!

Why people continue to waste their time debating with these type of people, Cal etc I will never know.

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
I guess he reached 600 goals with this one. Great career no matter what.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
This was a good one too. Still amazing how little he needs to score

Peyroteo

Supports
Sporting CP
Juve give nothing offensively for 60 minutes, Kean comes on and he gets 2 half chances in 2 minutes.

I'll never understand managers that play him as a striker in games like this one. Such a waste.

Status
Not open for further replies.