Croatia or England

Giant Midget

Aka - rooney_10119
Anyone else thing Southgate might drop Alli and go with a more defensive midfielder in there, like England played in qualifying?

Half-expecting Delph to get the nod to add some more solidity in the middle against Modric et al (would have said Dier previously, but he's been, well, dire this World Cup)

EyeInTheSky

I'm almost always right tbf. And England. Set piece domination is the great equaliser, except all 4 teams are about equal, so...
I don't know about you always being right since this is the first time I personally have seen a prediction by you but I will take your word for it :lol:

Not too sure about the Set piece domination at least for the game vs Sweden. The first goal better than the second but was a basic defensive header and a free man and the 2nd goal was a pathetic header at near face height and the keeper just let it through his hands.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Croatia should have the advantage in midfield but their defending from set-pieces will be the deciding factor. They've struggled all tournament and their attempt to fix it was apparent in the Russia equaliser in extra time, if they give England enough chances to get a good ball in they'll concede.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
I'm no England fan but the resentment towards them is baffling.

I get the press and pundits get overly arrogant but look at the actual team and manager... They appear super humble.

Unless I'm mistaken?

From the remaining teams, I want France to not win. Anything else is fine.

ArmchairCritic

It will be also interesting to see how England react to going a goal down, reorientated well in extra time after conceding a last min equaliser vs Colombia but the starting XI has only chased a game vs Tunisia and whilst they didn't panic they did struggle to create many chances. Of course they may never have to react to going a goal down.

Fine margins and although this isn't actually saying very much, the first goal will be crucial.

Ødegaard

formerly MrEriksen
Scout
Anyone else thing Southgate might drop Alli and go with a more defensive midfielder in there, like England played in qualifying?

Half-expecting Delph to get the nod to add some more solidity in the middle against Modric et al (would have said Dier previously, but he's been, well, dire this World Cup)
Nope. Alli still starts despite being awful.

As for the England vs Croatia stuff, I hope to not see Alli and for whoever wins to play well (not grab a goal and struggle for the rest). Friend of mine will be watching with me and he hopes England wins.

Then again, some of the folks on here supporting England is tipping me ever so slightly towards wanting the English to go out.

fergies coat

It will be a tough game.
Tight game one goal either way.
Stopping Modric is key.

Can we do it?
Or will Croatia win?
My guess is Kane will be the hero.
Indivual brilliance.
Nothing stopping us.
Go on boys make us proud.

Harry Maguire has impressed me.
Obviously a difficult game.
Manchester boys will step up
England will reach the final.

Jim Beam

Gets aroused by men in low socks
It will be a tough game.
Tight game one goal either way.
Stopping Modric is key.

Can we do it?
Or will Croatia win?
My guess is Kane will be the hero.
Indivual brilliance.
Nothing stopping us.
Go on boys make us proud.

Harry Maguire has impressed me.
Obviously a difficult game.
Manchester boys will step up
England will reach the final.
Left me speechless. Should copyright that as soon as possible.

MoskvaRed

The gulf in class between those two and what we have is ridiculous and in order to overcome that we should have better players in other positions but on paper only position where we're clearly better is striker and even there they have a good player in Mandzukic.
The gulf in class between those two and the Russian squad or the Danish squad (Eriksen excepted) is even more enormous and it didn’t translate into on-field dominance. Croatia are a good side and should start as marginal favourites on Wednesday but we shouldn’t build them up into something they are not. Or rather we should start giving this version of England some more credit and acknowledge they are tough opponents.

ArmchairCritic

The gulf in class between those two and the Russian squad or the Danish squad (Eriksen excepted) is even more enormous and it didn’t translate into on-field dominance. Croatia are a good side and should start as marginal favourites on Wednesday but we shouldn’t build them up into something they are not. Or rather we should start giving this version of England some more credit and acknowledge they are tough opponents.
The thing for Croatia is England should approach the game differently. Whereas Russia and Denmark sat in, England have so far always tried to play football. They are also unlikely to make many personnel changes and with how high Alli and Lingard push up, Henderson is vulnerable in the area where Croatia are the strongest. Rebic and Perisic will also give the England full-backs something to think about. The big problem for Croatia is their weakness from defending set-pieces. Croatia with a 4-3-3 will be very tough.

devil in me

I can understand why people are getting carried away, but it's ridiculous.

All this guff about this team is so different from previous teams, we've now got a manager with a plan etc etc.

No.

England have gotten to a semi final by beating Colombia and Sweden. The only team they came up againstwhere they were not clear favourites, they lost.

Stop acting if this is any different from any other WC, it's just the draw has been ridiculously kind.
In previous world cups we've drawn with Algeria, USA, Costa Rica. We lost to Uruguay at the last. So yes, it is very different to previous world cups , even if we have faced 'easy opposition ' , because normally, we don't win

vanthaman

Winner
We don't like playing with teams who defend whole match. With england it will be different story. Just need to defend fecking corners ffs. We are awful in that.
Also big part will be ref. Sterling and kanes diving scare me a lot.
Haven’t noticed either dive in the World Cup

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Nothing against France, like many of their players. But:

England came in with no expectations and haven't won it since 66. Belgium and Croatia have never won it. I'm a big fan of underdog teams winning it.

So my preference:
1. Croatia
2. Belgium
3. England
4. France

C'est Moi Cantona

Little thing, but I'm not as keen on us when we play in white, and Croatia in black look pretty mean, and hot to trot.

alsabi

Little thing, but I'm not as keen on us when we play in white, and Croatia in black look a lot more dangerous somehow.
We're playing in white and we're on ITV... though why are Croatia in black when they're the 'home' team? I guess since they also wear red and white it'd clash either way if they weren't...

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Little thing, but I'm not as keen on us when we play in white, and Croatia in black look pretty mean, and hot to trot.
Yes it will have to be white kit as Croatia can't wear their red and white due to the obvious clash of colours.

Not sure what the respective records are but the match on ITV is bad enough....

C'est Moi Cantona

Yes it will have to be white kit as Croatia can't wear their red and white due to the obvious clash of colours.

Not sure what the respective records are but the match on ITV is bad enough....
Well the penalty voodoo has been broken as least, so bad omens are maybe a positive..

Plus if we do get the final I guess we'll be in white, and on the ITV as well.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Since when was Kane a diver? That's a weird narrative to create. Sterling does throw himself around though.
He does go down easily. He just waits to go down. But as i said, strange situation all this. United fans loving spurs and liverpool players. On the other side, united fans dislike more than ever those players.
When season starts and kane wears spurs shirt, then we will talk about kane. Emotions are to high now;). For me you are going down more than city players. For you, you are fighters and other teams are dirty cnuts. Emotions....

STaphouse

Supports
Reading
He does go down easily. He just waits to go down. But as i said, strange situation all this. United fans loving spurs and liverpool players. On the other side, united fans dislike more than ever those players.
When season starts and kane wears spurs shirt, then we will talk about kane. Emotions are to high now;). For me you are going down more than city players. For you, you are fighters and other teams are dirty cnuts. Emotions....
Drawing in contact isn't diving though?

You are literally making stuff up at this point.

Judas

Open to offers
Yes very strange people supporting their national team. Whatever next. It's so truly baffling.

Minimalist

Since when was Kane a diver? That's a weird narrative to create. Sterling does throw himself around though.
Didn't the scousers start it? He was meant to have dived against them. Can't even remember if he really did or not.

GeorgieBoy

Didn't the scousers start it? He was meant to have dived against them. Can't even remember if he really did or not.
He got booted in the leg last minute of the game; got a penalty scored to level it as I remember. Just typical scousers that one I think.

Reiver

Hard to predict.
Not a lot in it in defence. England have Kane up front, but Croatia's midfield is better. They also have a lot more experience at this level.
Looking forward to the match. There would be no shame in England going out to this Croatia team.

Scholsey2004

Well the penalty voodoo has been broken as least, so bad omens are maybe a positive..

Plus if we do get the final I guess we'll be in white, and on the ITV as well.
Ugh! Not more omens that indicate the universe has somehow chosen us over lesser mortals. Things like 'the last time england scored more than ten goals at the world cup we won it' don't mean that destiny is calling. They just mean we've been consistently pants for most of our history.

tomaldinho1

Thought I'd seen most of the anti england slurs but this is a new one. Has no reputation for diving but yh go on then, pedal this narrative. Should have at least picked Young and had a story with some semblance of believability.

Scholsey2004

Hard to predict.
Not a lot in it in defence. England have Kane up front, but Croatia's midfield is better. They also have a lot more experience at this level.
Looking forward to the match. There would be no shame in England going out to this Croatia team.
No there wouldn't I agree. I do think that how strong the defence is in possession mitigates the lack of orthodox midfielders in the middle of the park though. We're essentially just holding deeper. And the mobility and guile of the extra attacking midfielders makes us less predictable than we've tended to be in the past. We've been damned by overly orthodox tactics from managers afraid of the media response for far too long and southgates willingness to try new strategies has been the big highlight of our world cup for me.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
Objectively Croatia are much better than we are and our complete lack of midfield versus their strongest asset is gonna be a problem.

Subjectively? It's coming home.

redshaw

Croatia pass the ball around well so I think we'll find it difficult against them. I'd put England as 4th best team of those remaining but it's very close and maybe fatigue can play a part. We do have the ability to beat Croatia even if we don't have the ball as much.

I was quietly confident of getting past Colombia and Sweden.

If some others can chip in with a goal like Sterling then yes. He's due to score and so close to getting it right.

Edit: Also while we broke the penalty hoodoo, Subasic is a bit good at saving them so would not want to count on penalties.

Last edited:

poleglass red

Croatia that beat the argies show up n England get spanked.to be honest apart from that game they haven't overly impressed me. I'm hoping they win but I could see this go to extra time and even penalties.