Crystal Palace 2023/24

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Just had an 18.5m bid turned down for Wharton from Blackburn. Good player and we have been tracking him too for ages. Another in their pipeline of snapping up good young championship talent perhaps.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68141875

Crystal Palace have agreed an initial fee of £18m with Blackburn Rovers to sign midfielder Adam Wharton.

The 19-year-old will travel to London on Tuesday, BBC Lancashire reports,
with the fee possibly rising to £22m.
Wharton came through Blackburn's academy and has gone on to make a total of 51 appearances for the club.

The Eagles had an £18.5m bid rejected last week for the England Under-20 player, but have managed to agree a deal with the Championship club.

Great signing for the future and post-Hodgson. @Shipperley

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Plus they signed a new RB
About time too! Sounds like he likes to get forward which we really lack from Ward and Clyne, I am hoping he will add a new dimension.

Wharton I’m very excited about too, though tempering expectations a bit as he’s so young. Seems to love a quick pass forward and sometimes we struggle to progress the ball so he should help with that, seems pretty tenacious as well. Looks a good prospect.

I hear we’re still in the market for a forward which is much needed as well, a starting option off the left would be great. We should have signed a RB, CM and LW in the summer so this is just doing what should have been done then. I love it when we go shopping in the Championship and Jonathan Rowe looks a Palace player all day long to me, would be a great pick-up.

Eze and Olise though, my word…unplayable yesterday.

Last edited:

paulscholes18

Palace seem to do well with getting young players from the championship with Eze, Olise and technically Guehi as he only had championship experience when he signed. Great chance that Wharton follows in their footprints.

FortunaUtd

Quite the coup for Palace. Glasner is an excellent manager and I am a bit surprised he did not pick a somewhat bigger club as his next job.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
First impressions of Wharton are pretty favourable. Looks very comfortable in possession with decent game understanding and intelligence.

Will try to catch him in a game where Palace actually want to play in the opposition half a fair bit as so far he's been getting forward with limited support.

Could well be Eze's long term replacement with his profile.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
First impressions of Wharton are pretty favourable. Looks very comfortable in possession with decent game understanding and intelligence.

Will try to catch him in a game where Palace actually want to play in the opposition half a fair bit as so far he's been getting forward with limited support.

Could well be Eze's long term replacement with his profile.
He’s not a replacement for Eze in my view, I think he’s going to play deeper than him. Seems defensively sound, combative and always looks to pass it forward when he gets it, I would want Eze on the end of those passes.

I have no idea who will go this summer but assuming nobody did (obviously not going to happen) and Glasner played his 3-4-2-1 you’d think it’d be something like:

——Johnstone/Henderson
—Richards—Andersen—Guehi
Munoz—Doucoure—Wharton—New LWB
——Olise——————-Eze
——————New ST

Could be a good watch…but got to stay up first.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Glasner has them playing some pretty impressive football.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Glasner has them playing some pretty impressive football.

Makes you wonder if it wouldn't have been better for him and the club to stay in Frankfurt to evolve them further... luckily for Palace they now play in a way Frankfurt aspires to but fails to implement.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Wharton is going to be an absolute steal. He already is. :(

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Makes you wonder if it wouldn't have been better for him and the club to stay in Frankfurt to evolve them further... luckily for Palace they now play in a way Frankfurt aspires to but fails to implement.
Frankfurt's loss is definitely Palace's gain here. Glasner's impact has been immediate.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Could have scored 7 or 8 today, genuinely. Very excited about next season now, we’ll lose one or two big hitters but Glasner seems to be improving everyone which is a positive sign.

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
Keep Eze and Olise, sign Dovbik and a left wing like Balde(the idiots need money and might sell), and this team is challenging for Europa next season

Please make it happen

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Completely outplayed Newcastle tonight, that’s three wins on the spin. So nice to look forward to games again after a dogsh*t 2/3rds of the season.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Yeah although it feels a bit different this time as last season it was Leicester, Leeds and Southampton we beat in a row, this time it’s Liverpool, West Ham and Newcastle. I haven’t seen us play like this before tbh…high press, 8 players getting forward but still looking solid at the back and everyone just looks so much fitter and more confident now. People like JPM and Will Hughes are playing out of their skin.

Glasner’s clearly got a lot of pedigree but also form for falling out with owners who don’t back him. The summer should be interesting.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
Ha he’s got the odd goal in him old Jeff, normally around renewal time. Didn’t see that one coming though!

Adam Wharton by the way, what a player he is already. The game just seems to open up whenever he has the ball. I’ve always said Olise has a higher ceiling than Eze, it’s early days but I think Wharton might go on to be the best of the lot.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
Schlupp with a banger, Glasner must be a wizard
One of the best managers in the BL, made the step to the PL without any real problems as it looks. Happy for him, although I actually expected he amready could get a job at a bigger club.

FortunaUtd

One of the best managers in the BL, made the step to the PL without any real problems as it looks. Happy for him, although I actually expected he amready could get a job at a bigger club.
It is a funny one, because Glasner's career decisions have always been puzzling and somewhat counterintuitive. Led Wolfsburg back to CL spots only to quit and move to the Eintracht, then wins the EL there (and thus CL quali) only to quit and move to.. Palace? He has been very successful at every club only to make sideways/downward moves at the height of success. Interesting one.
He's probably going to qualify Palace for the Conference league and then move to Brentford.

stefan92

Supports
Hannover 96
It is a funny one, because Glasner's career decisions have always been puzzling and somewhat counterintuitive. Led Wolfsburg back to CL spots only to quit and move to the Eintracht, then wins the EL there (and thus CL quali) only to quit and move to.. Palace? He has been very successful at every club only to make sideways/downward moves at the height of success. Interesting one.
He's probably going to qualify Palace for the Conference league and then move to Brentford.
To be fair leaving Wolfsburg is always understandable. For what it's worth I would understand if someone leaves Wolfsburg to play/manage in the lowest tier of football anywhere. But that might just be me being a Hannover fan :lol:

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
He spoke at length about being attracted to ‘the project’. We’ve got a Cat 1 academy in a talent hotbed, are about to start work on a new stand and have some absolutely class players that he can either build around or have significant funds to rebuild with. Even then I have exactly the same feeling, he could already be at a bigger club given what he’s achieved.

It sounds like he’s been attending games since October and the original plan was that he would join this summer, that was obviously accelerated after our downturn in form. In the meantime Steve Parish has been pictured a few times with four or five new faces in suits at home games. Wouldn’t surprise me if something’s coming on the ownership front which isn’t being discussed publicly at the moment.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
I will never stop talking about how good Wharton is. He's so so good. Dare I say I like him more than Mainoo. :nervous:

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
He spoke at length about being attracted to ‘the project’. We’ve got a Cat 1 academy in a talent hotbed
Are there any academy kids who have played much or are knocking on the first team slot at the moment? From an outsiders view i can't think of any outside of Mitchell and he's nearly 25.

I'm sure there's some and I've not been paying attention.

Shipperley

Supports
CPFC
I will never stop talking about how good Wharton is. He's so so good. Dare I say I like him more than Mainoo. :nervous:
Yeah he’ll be a star. Couple of things really impress me about him, firstly his football IQ way exceeds his age, he seems to know exactly when to shift it quickly and when to slow it down.

Second is the weight and precision of his forward passing, he almost always provides it exactly where his teammate needs it, Schlupp’s goal yesterday is a great example. If that pass was even slightly off the goal doesn’t happen.

Those forward passes are a huge weapon when you play a system with two 10s who look to drift in to those pockets in the transition. Seems the perfect midfielder for Glasner’s system really.

https://x.com/DrizzyCPFC/status/1784552065420624105