Kick-off
Wed, 18 January 2023 @ 8:00pm GMT
Status

Closed

Discussion Your Lineup Prediction

• Status
    Not open for further replies.

jem

What if we don't win without him and lose to Arsenal away with a full strength side? We can't risk not beating Palace is my gut feeling.
    I agree. This match has banana skin written all over it. I'd start him and hopefully try and build a lead and then sub him off.

jem

That's not technically true if you think United has a chance of winning the league though; if we're going to lose one of these games then the better 3 points to take are versus Arsenal, so that they also drop points. If we lose versus Palace and beat Arsenal we gain 3 points on them (albeit they still have their game in hand versus City to come), but if we beat palace and lose to Arsenal then the gap remains the same, plus whatever Arsenal get versus City in their game in hand (so potentially they extend their lead over us by 3 points).

Obviously the optimal solution is to win both games and gain 6 points on them (with an extra game played of course), and I think even with resting Casemiro we've got enough to beat Palace - we're the form team in the league and Palace have been poor, particularly at home.
    If it were any other player, I'd agree with you, but the drop-off from Casemiro to McTominay is so steep (particularly given McTominay's recent form) that I'd be very worried about dropping points.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
    Staff
    That's not technically true if you think United has a chance of winning the league though; if we're going to lose one of these games then the better 3 points to take are versus Arsenal, so that they also drop points. If we lose versus Palace and beat Arsenal we gain 3 points on them (albeit they still have their game in hand versus City to come), but if we beat palace and lose to Arsenal then the gap remains the same, plus whatever Arsenal get versus City in their game in hand (so potentially they extend their lead over us by 3 points).

Obviously the optimal solution is to win both games and gain 6 points on them (with an extra game played of course), and I think even with resting Casemiro we've got enough to beat Palace - we're the form team in the league and Palace have been poor, particularly at home.
    Firstly i think we take each game and in two months then see where we are.

Either way, we still need to beat Palace, and they are the more achievable 3 points and unless Casemiro is tired I'd play him and trust him not to get booked. Also Charlton,form League 1, at home, showed me how integral he is, some of you feel differently. There is no guarantee a full strength side take anything from the Emirates.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
    Staff
    If it were any other player, I'd agree with you, but the drop-off from Casemiro to McTominay is so steep (particularly given McTominay's recent form) that I'd be very worried about dropping points.
    If Scott was anonymous at home against a League One side, Palace away would be terrifying with him at 6. He was the reason teams like Palace were able to slice us open last season.

RuudTom83

The Arsenal game is 4 days after Palace. Then United play Forest twice and Reading.

The time for resting can come after Sunday!

Casemiro is a vastly experienced player, I'm sure he can play 70-90 minutes without getting booked.

Vintagered

Can’t see Weghorst being put straight in.
    More likely to come on as a sub I’d say

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
    Can’t see Weghorst being put straight in.
    More likely to come on as a sub I’d say
    I'd imagine that depends on Martial's fitness.

Maybe 60 mins Martial then 30 for Weg

roseguy64

If Scott was anonymous at home against a League One side, Palace away would be terrifying with him at 6. He was the reason teams like Palace were able to slice us open last season.
    NO. He was not the reason. The entire team was the reason FFS. It's like people are not paying attention. We played badly regardless of who was in the team.

Hughes35

Don't see why it has to be a "Weak" and a "Strong" side, I think different things are needed, Crystal Palace will be extremely physical and play deeper than Arsenal so with that in mind I'd go:

Vs Palace
    Dalot Maguire Martinez Malacia
    Mctominay Eriksen
    Antony Bruno Garnacho
    Weghorst

Vs Arsenal

DDG
    AWB Varane Martinez Shaw
    Casemiro Fred
    Antony Bruno Rashford
    Martial
    Pretty much this but I think ETH will probably start Eriksen instead of Anthony against Arsenal (Fernandes starting from the left). Like we did against City.

Parma Dewol

Can't wait! How good it feels to be full of anticipation ahead of game night.

Looking forward to seeing Weghorst open his account. Come on United!

Unam333

As weird as it sounds, I'm more worried about this game than the City one.

With the big games you always feel you have a chance, especially recently with our confidence back.

With teams like Palace, unless you pull away early you'll have to grind out a result for 90mins. Also with the heavy fixture list, I'm guessing there'll be some changes to the starting 11. Another potential banana skin.
    Not weird at all. I feel the same way. These kind of games you need to win if you want to win the title. There's a risk in rotating players and them not implementing the strategy of the manager as well.

Would be a real downer if we drop points today after the huge win against City.

moses

Can't We Just Be Nice?
    Staff
    NO. He was not the reason. The entire team was the reason FFS. It's like people are not paying attention. We played badly regardless of who was in the team.
    Untangle your knickers and calm down there petal.

Yes, we were consistently bad, but a lot have kicked on. Scott hasn't, and he's poor for Scotland any time I've seen him. And the deep CM is a pivotal position. The biggest individsual improvement over last year for me has been Casemiro. But I may not be paying attention.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Staff
    Looks like Joachim Andersen is out for both games against us which will do nicely. He's important to their build-up and a good passer.

kaku06

I have got a bad feeling for this match. I think we gonna drop points today.

djembatheking

I hope we go with a full first choice team tonight, beating Palace and keeping our run going is the best way to go into the Arsenal game. We need our players going into the Arsenal game confident, determined and in a position to start putting real pressure and doubt into the Arsenal players minds. The only concern is Casemiro picking up a yellow.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
    I'd start Casemiro on the bench, if we're struggling by half time look to bring him in but Fred and Eriksen should be enough for a poor Palace side.

Garethw

scored 25-30 goals a season as a right footed RW
    Can’t risk any injuries or suspensions tonight when we need our best players against arsenal.
    But at the expense of dropping points tonight? Palace are not a walkover. If we play a weakened team we’ll likely scrape a draw tonight.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
    But at the expense of dropping points tonight? Palace are not a walkover. If we play a weakened team we’ll likely scrape a draw tonight.
    Ye we shouldn’t be playing a weakened team but we can still rotate a few players. Like give martinez a game and rest Shaw. Give garnacho a game and rest rashford.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
    Hope rashford and Varane get a rest tonight. They’ll be crucial for us against arsenal. Wonder if Weghorst starts. Garnacho definitely deserves a start after his assist against city.

Fahad Jawaid

I think there was enough rest between matches not to worry about fatigue. I meant we played at 12.45 Saturday from that and having 4 days to recover and then again having 3 and a half days to recover for Sunday is sufficient time. Specially for players who are used to playing Sunday, wed, sat.

The booking issue for Fred and Casemiero is worrisome. But I would suggest playing a strong team and start well, get early goals and get the players off by 60 minutes.

We are thinking about title race but imagine resting Casemiero and losing against Crystal Palace and then Away to Arsenal will always be a tough match and we have not won it for 4 seasons now, regardless of how shit their team has been. So even with a full strength side we could lose that one. So I would rather get 3 points here and then worry about that match or lose here thinking about Arsenal and end up getting none.

See every manager talks about the next match and that's the most important.

Reactions: moses

Shai-Hulud

Beating City (or Arsenal) is of no use if we lose to Palace... whatever resting of players we do will need to be carefully thought out.

ForeverRed1

A real banana skin this. They have been losing a lot and will be giving everything for that run to stop.. at home. Their Fans will be up for this. Will be a physical game and one that people overlook because they have one eye on the arsenal game on Sunday. No point losing this one and beating arsenal on Sunday. We got to shorten that gap at the top. Got to go for it.

mancsarered

Need to strike first to make this a good night. We've been so solid defensively as of late; if we go ahead it should be a comfortable 3 points.

Bertie Wooster

Beating City (or Arsenal) is of no use if we lose to Palace... whatever resting of players we do will need to be carefully thought out.
    Yeah, that's always my concern as well.

I get squad rotation of course. But the key thing for successful clubs is to rotate enough throughout the season while maintaining results and momentum and not costing the team the chances of trophies.

A lot of times - in cups, or against slightly weaker league opponents - some of the weak line ups suggested on matchday threads would be pretty much throwing the game away by resting way too many all at once.

This is a tricky midweek away game. With so many matches there's a need for some rotation where possible / needed, but done so within moderation and not at the cost of the results. That's a tricky balance, of course, but Palace are no pushovers so we have to be very careful not to take them too lightly by risking saving too many key players all at once and dropping unnecessary points tonight.

ManUnitedCanuck

This match worries me, considering we may have to rest some players with one eye on the weekend.

Rashford may be a question after the “knock” last week and without him we look less a threat.

Keeping Casemeiro from missing the weekend as well.

Really need the 3 points, and that may be my worry…hope all goes well!

Come on United!!

RedIan

Some think that Palace will be a push over, foolish attitude. The points here are crucial, pointless beating city then dropping points here.
    Go Full strength. Rotate subs in if and when we are comfortable. Worry about Arsenal after this game and not before.

TheRedDevil'sAdvocate

The thing with Casemiro and Rashford is that they are both irreplaceable at the moment. The former is excellent at covering big spaces with his positioning/anticipation and he can also play the first pass out from the back. These two things allow us to be more adventurous with our attacking shape. Rashy is currently our only constant goal threat in the attacking third. And we don't score much, but rely on defending well to win matches.

I can't blame ETH for starting them both tonight and preferring to do some rotation in the upcoming cup games. It was already a tough set of fixtures, which became tougher after the FA's decision to squeeze the trip to Selhurst Park right between the City and Arsenal games. Before the derby, i would be satisfied with 6/7 points from these three matches. This is still the case. Take the three points from this one, then go to the Emirates to announce ourselves as title contenders (if we win).

Funny thing is that i disagree with most. I believe McT would be a much "safer" starter against Arsenal (in the scenario that we won't have Casemiro in one of the next two matches) in a game in which we can actually afford to sit back, let Arse take the initiative, and hit on the counter. Fewer spaces to defend and a more compact shape to play in.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
    Supports
    The only team that matters
    The Arsenal game is 4 days after Palace. Then United play Forest twice and Reading.

The time for resting can come after Sunday!

Casemiro is a vastly experienced player, I'm sure he can play 70-90 minutes without getting booked.
    It's nothing to do with resting and everything to do with avoiding suspension

if either Casemiro or Fred get booked against Palace they can't play against Arsenal, we shouldn't need them to beat Palace but we sure will against Arsenal

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
    Supports
    I'd be tempted to leave Rashford on the bench for this one, especially if he has a niggle, he tends to struggle against teams that sit deep so a safe approach might be better

TMDaines

Fun sponge.
    More nervous about this one than the weekend. i trust us to turn up at Arsenal and against City, but a tricky midweek away I could see us overlooking. Hopefully we are on it.

croadyman

We cannot risk Casemiro and hope McT and Fred do the job. Palace have too many dribblers in Olise, Zaha and Eze who will draw fouls and Casemiro might get sucked into one too many, regardless of how professional and experienced he is.
    Couldn't have put it better myself and that's my biggest fear about him being on pitch too long

RedDevil@84

First big test for Ten Hag :D
    Getting players to play out of their skin after a big derby comeback win, against a team in the other half will be tough.

Red in STL

Turnover not takeover
    Supports
    First big test for Ten Hag :D
    Getting players to play out of their skin after a big derby comeback win, against a team in the other half will be tough.
    His first big test was after game 2 of the season

Status
    Not open for further replies.
Post-match discussion

Player Ratings

6.0 Total Average Rating

Highest Rated Player

Lowest Rated Player

Compiled from 255 ratings.

Score Predictions

• Man Utd win
  • Crystal Palace win