Current group of refs "worst we've seen" - Former Referee Boss

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
True.

I doubt the top league refs are actually the best of the best. They're the ones who are suicidal, masochistic, and depressed enough to accept the job (and/or thick as pig shit enough to not care about hundreds of million people being outraged at you).
Was talking about what they are meant to be, not what they are :).

But in all seriousness, if you're good at what you do, people wouldn't be outraged.

You never saw Collina thought of like this. I'm sure he made mistakes because all referees do but by doing a good job and being respected, it was different.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Clattenburg should be on the scrap heap for a few decisions in that Leicester game alone, even if he is the best of a shite bunch.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Referees are working in the private sector.
Its a figure of speech ;)

Sometimes, people say things that are just short cuts to get to the point, and not because they are too stupid to open a tin of sardines that are already open.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Its a figure of speech ;)

Sometimes, people say things that are just short cuts to get to the point, and not because they are too stupid to open a tin of sardines that are already open.
I figured you didn't think they were public sector employees! Not sure I agree with your point though. There's loads of people out there under-performing in the private sector without getting dismissed. It's actually much harder to fire under-performing employees than people think.

Count Orduck

I figured you didn't think they were public sector employees! Not sure I agree with your point though. There's loads of people out there under-performing in the private sector without getting dismissed. It's actually much harder to fire under-performing employees than people think.
Indeed, back in my old job there was a guy who was absolutely dreadful, and lazy too, but it took three disciplinary meetings over an eight month period before legally they were allowed to fire him.

(It wasn't me, by the way!)

The Purley King

I don't think the standard has got markedly lower. Compared to even 10 years ago, we have more cameras, more slow-mo replays and more cheating players. I just think the mistakes are being highlighted more than ever.
One thing that could be improved is the fitness of refs though. The game is faster than ever and just looking at the physique of some of them, you just know they cannot be that fit.

Gio

★★★★★★★★
Supports
Rangers
We're obviously in the middle of a blip in refereeing standards. But I'm not really buying the "it's getting worse and worse" line. That's more about the ever-increasing media scrutiny and the easier availability of footage of any/every controversial incident.

The decision to not send players off at the World Cup during the big matches is a FIFA guideline I reckon. Look at Webb's decision to keep De Jong on for his chest kick. Absolutely ridiculous and a red card in every other league and cup world wide.

But people hate how the game changes when it goes to 10v11 so it's avoided.
Webb probably shat it but certainly the 2002, 2010 and 2014 tournaments showcased some awful officiating some of it no doubt borne out of FIFA directives.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
In the public sector they promote them instead.

tom33

It's not really surprising that refereeing standards are slipping given that the FA refuse to admit any refereeing mistakes. They must all think they're doing a perfect job.

Niall

All Powerful Super Being
Staff
Refs will always make mistakes, they're human and all the tv coverage highlights their mistakes more than ever before.

They need help. Why can't they have a video referee who is constantly reviewing key incidents (start with decisions in the box) and they bleep the ref if his decision was the wrong one. Play is then called back and the correct decision is applied.

Example: player goes down in the box, ref says play on. Video ref in the stand reviews it, sees it's a penalty, tells the ref through his headset, ref blows the whistle and gives a penalty. Any play since the original decision doesn't count.

Probably flawed in some ways but a constantly active video ref would alleviate the issues Fifa have with technology whereby the game keeps getting stopped to review incidents on tv.

Mrs Smoker

Supports
Panthère du Ndé
Probably flawed in some ways but a constantly active video ref would alleviate the issues Fifa have with technology whereby the game keeps getting stopped to review incidents on tv.
Even that is not an issue to me, game is constantly stopped anyway with fouls and other stoppages. Few more per game where they review huge ref decisions would not hurt the game that much more.

Sepp is open to idea of at least something, like manager challenges, but it looks like even voting on it is still far away (year or so?). If any Dutch are here and know about it, what's the deal with Eagle Eye there, how does it work?

EDIT: It's actually Hawk-Eye, and so far seems they are using it only for testing of speed of software, not actually to intervene in matches.

TwoSheds

More sheds (and tiles) than you, probably
You could also say 'current players are biggest cheats ever'. If they were accountable afterwards for the simulation etc. it might deter them from it and actually make the game cleaner and easier for the refs.
Doesn't account for things like refs constantly calling throw ins, corners, 50/50s etc wrong. Premiership refereeing is undoubtedly the worst I've ever seen it regardless of what the players do.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
We're obviously in the middle of a blip in refereeing standards. But I'm not really buying the "it's getting worse and worse" line. That's more about the ever-increasing media scrutiny and the easier availability of footage of any/every controversial incident.
Whilst I agree the increasingly thorough scrutiny certainly highlights more mistakes, I also think this is a bit of a cop-out. Sure, it does mean it's harder to definitively say that standards are getting worse, but it doesn't excuse some of the blatant and inexcusable mistakes that have been a common feature this season.

marukomu

The Gatekeeper
Doesn't account for things like refs constantly calling throw ins, corners, 50/50s etc wrong. Premiership refereeing is undoubtedly the worst I've ever seen it regardless of what the players do.
Players claim for corners and throw ins when they know damn well it came off them last. They should clamp down on it.