Curtains for a few players?

Chabon

Every season people say this'll happen, and yet we hardly ever let go more than one or two members of the first team squad.

Nani will likely go because of his contract situation, Scholes will retire, and maybe, at a push, Rio might move on. That's your lot.

iSparky

Likes Dags. but not as much as his Dad
I dont see Rooney going anywhere. That said with the media harping on about him its going to be a really long summer.

Chabon

For context, here's our recent outgoings of players who actually mattered:

2012: Berbatov, Park.
2011: O'Shea, Brown.
2010: Foster.
2009: Ronaldo, Tevez.
2008: Saha, Silvestre, Pique.
2007: Heinze, Smith, Richardson.
2006: Ruud.

We don't do clear-outs.

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!

We don't do clear-outs.
It's all about freshening things up without changing the core too much. I think this summer could be quite similar to 2007, I don't know who I'd match up with Heinze, Smith and Richardson though to be fair.

In terms of transfers in, it won't be far off. Fergie will want to conquer Europe and surely knows he has to spend some ££££ to set his team up for such an achievement.

Dirty Schwein

Has a 'Best of Britney Spears' album
Supports
Luton Town
Nani and Anderson could go as it seems as though SAF has lost faith in them. Having said that, people always say Anderson is leaving every summer yet he remains so who knows. I kind of hope he goes and we get someone who can last a 90 minute match. Not sure about Nani, he does offer us something the rest of wingers dont, but he is very inconsistent. Should probably sell him if a ready made replacement is available.

Lindegaard staying or going will depend on his ambition. I think he is a good no.2 for us but could easily be a great no.1 for someone else. Kind of like Ben Foster.

Rooney is a much more difficult one. Reading between the lines might have one suggest that Rooney could be sold if the right offer comes in but I guess its too difficult to call. He does seem subdued recently somewhat but where can he realistically go? PSG maybe, but I cant think of any other 'BIG' team that he can go to...

Castia

Id like to see Young sold, he's really not the sort of quality we should be playing in the first 11. I basically feel he's holding a slot in the squad that should be free'd up for a much better player.

I sound like a bit of a cnut I know, Young hasn't exactly been the worst player ever but when we are linked with the likes of Hazard and Lucas in the past it just goes to show how much better off we should be.

Cina

There's no way Young will go.

It'll likely be Nani, Anderson, and Scholes.

We'll bring in Zaha, a midfielder, and as usual, a talented youngster or two, maybe a winger.

Havak

Pokemon master
Scholes is the only definite for me. I can see Nani, Anderson, and Rooney as possibilities but it wouldn't surprise me if they all stayed. Lindegaard as well... He's good enough to be number 1 elsewhere, and the age he's at means he's coming up to the time when he'll want to be that. He won't get that here but he'll at least get his chances and probably another medal.

It also depends on who we plan to sign - if Bale is on the cards then I'd agree that Nani is nailed on to be the to leave (which would probably fund the move once we add our usual transfer kitty to the bid).

The rumours keep surrounding Wayne, but the media just love to pick on whatever they can when it comes to players like him. However, the sale of Rooney and Nani would probably allow us to get Bale, a midfielder, and probably another striker. I'd rather just keep Wayne though, but I'd have to admit it'll be hard to fit Kagawa in the side.

Minkaro

I wouldn't be surprised to see Nani go. If he does go, I doubt Young will (although I'd prefer Nani to stay and Young to go).

I'm sure we've said every season for the past eight that this was Anderson's last chance and he's off in the summer, and it never bloody happens. He'll be here at the age of 40, playing fifteen games a season.

Cevno

Id like to see Young sold, he's really not the sort of quality we should be playing in the first 11. I basically feel he's holding a slot in the squad that should be free'd up for a much better player.
He's a decent squad player tbh, but would prefer if we just used Zaha in that role till he develops.

Decotron

I sound like a bit of a cnut I know, Young hasn't exactly been the worst player ever but when we are linked with the likes of Hazard and Lucas in the past it just goes to show how much better off we should be.
Nah not really, think a lot of people feel the same. Hes not genuine first team material imo but at his best he should be a fantastic squad player. He has shown glimpses of his ability here but not enough for me.

I can see him being sold in 12 months.....He'll still have a decent resale value given his age and nationality.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
As SAF stated in his interview last night, he has 26 players in our 1st team squad. I dont think he can add more players, its already possibly too big.

We are still abit short in terms of quality for the very top level of European football so I expect some major acquisitions as well as promotion of some youth players as well as returning players on loan like Fabio.

So he will have to release 3 or 4 players to make space.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
Ok, cheers for the update. What about Nani and Anderson?
Rumours on twitter that Nani has booked a week-long holiday at a hotel in Jamaica. A hotel owned by a certain club chairman...

Cevno

We don't do clear-outs.
Retirements not included in that, tbf and don't think more than 2/3 players except those retiring will leave.

Rowem

gently, down the stream

We don't do clear-outs.
Owen, Scholes, Gibson, VDS, Neville, PIG all first team players to leave/retire in the last couple years as well. Tosic, Obertan, Diouf all on the verge too.

So there's usually a handful of players to leave each season.

But yes I agree, calls for a clear out are silly.

(worth noting perhaps that Gibson made more appearances in his last two seasons at United than Anderson has made in his last two seasons. Writing's on the wall imo. Ditto Nani)

De Selby

Scottish
Supports
Guangzhou Pharmaceutical F.C.
Tunnicliffe, Wootton, Brown and McGinty would be the likely one from the reserves.

Veseli and Petrucci might be possibles as well.
I can see all of them leaving. Luke Giverin and Ben Amos as well maybe?

Perhaps Petrucci will be kept around for the pre-season tour to see if he's made any progress. If not, he'll be moved on.

Michael Keane has a good shot at being in the senior squad especially if Rio and/or Vidic move on.

Cevno

Michael Keane will go on a PL loan, if he can get a decent one.

Cina

You sure of that?
Well no, but I think he will, he said himself it's a problem area after all. It's hard to imagine Anderson and Scholes both going and us not bringing someone in.

ForeverUnited19

Not in the Matchday threads - it's bad luck.
People need to remember the 40m net spend targeted by the club each season. The caliber of players brought in will depend on those that are sold. Looking at fees and release clauses mentioned, it can only be two established players at the most while losing some ourselves.

That'sHernandez

Ominously close to getting banned
Why are so many convinced Anderson will be sold, all the while the majority of them say we need an extra central midfielder? Don't they see the fallacy in that logic? If we're already short a CM, why would we sell one? Ando will still be here come next season, I hope.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Sold: Nani, Ando, Lindegaard, Macheda, Bebe
Retire: Scholes
Loan: Henriquez, Powell

Also expect a couple of the youngters to be sold or released

finneh

Unfortunately I can see Nani leaving, as well as Anderson and Lindegaard.

Wouldn't surprise me if Fletcher and Scholes retired.

Out of the rest I can only see Rooney leaving if the right price were offered (£35m+) and someone like Bale became available.

sammsky1

Pochettino's #1 fan
Sold: Nani, Ando, Lindegaard, Macheda, Bebe
Retire: Scholes
Loan: Henriquez, Powell

Also expect a couple of the youngters to be sold or released
So that would be upto 7 current squad players gone. Which would mean significant new additions should SAF want to retain a 26 man squad.

Could be a fun summer.

gza the genius

Vidic and Rio are perfect for grooming our young center backs in. Neither of them can play every game anymore so the younger players will be getting a lot of playing time while still learning from two of the best. The only way either one of them leave is if Sir Alex thinks one of Evans/Jones/Smalling are ready to step up next season and make a center back spot their own, which I suppose is entirely possible. Even then it'd be great to have someone like Rio on the bench.

The only obvious one to leave currently is Nani unfortunately, but I've accepted that he's gone. Scholes will likely leave as well.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
So that would be upto 7 current squad players gone. Which would mean significant new additions should SAF want to retain a 26 man squad.

Could be a fun summer.
if you look at it that way, but barring Nani and Anderson, the others have hardly played this season

Nathan

I agree that Sir Alex has already turned his attention to next season. However none of the players mentioned in the thread are certainties to leave. Unless the player makes that request, many players before them have asked the question, if you leave United, do you go to a better team, how many of these players will make it at Barcelona, Real Madrid, Bayern Munich, PSG, or any other Premier League team.

Let's not speculate, we are going to be pleasantly surprised. I actually dont think we will see wholesale changes.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
I'd be absolutely amazed if Nani didn't leave. As annoying as it is, it looks inevitable.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Vidic will be going nowhere, we wouldn't get much for him and he's still a top player so what would the point be?

I don't see too much changing at the back at all.

Can't see Young going anywhere either, you need decent squad players and thats pretty much what he is.

Nani will be off given his form and contract situation.

Anderson's an interesting one, I'd like to hold on to him given we're not over stocked in CM and if he could stay fit I think he would be another valuable squad player but he might well want to go somewhere he'll get more regular football - I'd be surprised if hes sold.

I don't see anyone else being sold.

Scholes and I'd imagine Fletcher will retire which means I'll be shocked if we don't buy a midfielder. I think Anderson will stay and we'll buy 1 midfielder, someone like Cabaye.

I'd also like to see us buy another winger, as well as Zaha, the form of our wingers has been terrible this season we could do with more competition for places, but I think we'll probably persist with playing the likes of Welbeck, Rooney & Kagawa wide.

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
I wouldn't be surprised if there were a fair few big changes coming

Let's be honest, our habit of continually winning football matches masked the fact that we weren't very good this season, by our standards. I can remember about five or six games where we really looked like a proper United side for any sustained period, most of them big games where the pressure was on.

Fergie will know that City and probably Chelsea will blow their wads in the close season. I mean, obviously he won't buy a centre midfielder, that's crazy talk... but we do need some reinforcements. It's funny, last season I didn't think we did (apart from centre midfield). We looked strong in most areas. But what looked like the strongest set of wingers in the league has been very poor, and the full-back area is thin (though fortunately Pat stepped back up)... and then there's centre midfield.

Sylar

I hope Lindegaard gets the 2 or so games required to get a medal.

I could see Anderson going and Nani asking to leave. I think our defence will stay the same, our strikers will stay the same. I could see Rooney dropping back further. (Zaha still to come)
Bebe and Macheda will most likely be sold and fetch a few million each (after rising / appearances etc)

I can see us going for another striker but I want a left footed left winger (the benefit is huge as opposed to somebody who cuts in a lot of the time) and a central midfield partner for Carrick whilst Cleverley continues to develop.

el eric

Will we be able to sell Anderson? Not sure there would be too many clubs wanting to match the wages he's on at united plus a transfer fee. Unless he used as bait in a swap deal or something