Dad

Twisted_Woody

Scout
Sorry for your loss. I hope watching United brings back good memories for you and your family. All the best.

SirMattlives

Sweet and poignant note that, thanks. I lost my father 26 years ago and he too was a United nut. Even though I ended up spending most of my life in another country, we used to call every week when he would give me the lowdown on the latest news (TV coverage of football here was nothing like today). He saw the 1968 team life the European Cup at Wembley and somewhere down the line I lost the program he gave me. As he aged he would get too nervous in the last few minutes to watch if the game was on a knife-edge, and I find myself turning into him more and more in that regard. Anyway, the tie to United binds so many of us, Thanks for reminding us of what is really important amid all the moaning and whining. Peace to you and yours.

Wibble

In Gadus Speramus
Staff
Only just came across this thread. Alzheimer's is a terrible condition. My Dad died from it in 2010 at 85, and one of the last things that seemed to go, up until about 6 months before the end, was talk of a United game.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
I wrote a piece a few years ago on here about my father and his memories of United. He was born in Hulme in 1935 , had a really hard upbringing and started watching United as a kid in the 40s going to Old Trafford one week and Maine Road the next when we were away. His favourite team was the 1948 side which won the Cup and he often named the full eleven who played.

He told me about The Babes and it was because of him that I became a Stretford Ender in the 70s and 80s . I can still see him now bent over his little transistor radio listening to a United game willing us to score.
He entered a home 6 months ago as his dementia got so bad but every time I visited him I'd tell him how we were doing. Lately it seems all I was saying was Hi Dad we lost again .

Up until last week I was showing him pictures of that 1948 cup winning team and he still could name the players.
Anyway he passed on yesterday morning , a true red and a decent man. It'll be funny watching us tomorrow without being able to tell him the score on Monday . Good night Dad.
So sorry for your loss mate. Wish you could have told him we knocked the scousers out of the cup with a last minute goal. Stay strong buddy

Denis' cuff

Nice post, Phil, despite your sad loss. Very similar to me and my dad but we were/are a bit older than you two. His favourite team was also the 48 cup winners. He loved Charlie Mitten and Stan Pearson. I think the latter had something to do with him knowing him from Salford lads club when they were kids and he loved to recall Mitten taking penalties and pointing to the side where he was going to put it, and then actually putting it there. Fondly remember walking by the docks over Trafford bridge and seeing the ships in dock where my grand dad worked as a docker. Still remember United Rd before the first cantilever stand was built for the 66 WC and sitting on his shoulders until I found a gap a the front fence. Never a match goes by without me thinking of him and it’s a wonderful thing to still feel his presence. We no loner live in Salford and our two boys have become disenchanted with the modern game and just take a lukewarm interest.

Enjoy your memories, mate. Were lucky to have their legacy.

LDUred

One of the great things about football is how it produces so many enduring memories of good times shared, and recalling then can indeed provide solace.

My condolences to you and your family in this tough time.

Kostov

I am sorry for your loss. May he rest in peace.
Threads like this are a nice reminder of what actually means to support a football club. Father to son and so it goes on.