Daley Blind - Deal Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Having read a bit about him, he sounds a pretty pointless option. The role he performs in front of the defence and becoming another CB is something that Fellaini could do pretty successfully in my opinion.
Fellaini can't do what Blind does because he is very bad tactically and very poor defensively.

backofthenet

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He's not the messiah... he's a very naughty boy
He's 24. If he was 18 or 19 I could understand it, but he's the same age as Tom Cleverley. Most people are stating on this forum that Tom's development has already peaked and is going no further. Why the feck would we go for a (not sure if he is a) midfielder that may well have no further scope for development, has never played outside of a poor league and that no other top club has been interested in previously? No doubt I'll get shot down in flames here but I don't see any value in clogging up the squad with more almost certainly mediocre players.

Herman Van Rompuy

Bears False Witness
Bullshit. I know it's popular to hate on Fellaini but he's not as bad as people make out. This Blind was languishing in the doldrums until this season according to what I've read. I'll be surprised if he's any better than Fellaini.
Fellaini has the football intelligence of a fish, to be honest and he's not as good defensively as Blind or as comfortable on the ball. So just how would he perform that role as well as him?

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Fellaini has the football intelligence of a fish, to be honest and he's not as good defensively as Blind or as comfortable on the ball. So just how would he perform that role as well as him?
To be honest I'm just talking in probabilities. Fellaini isn't as bad as is made out, he's much better than he's shown this season. We'll find out more about Blind at the WC but I bet he's not as good as you make out. There's always someone on here blowing smoke up our arses about some random footballer. The fact that this guy nearly flopped in Eredivisie tells me he probably isn't going to be a 'top class player'.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Bullshit. I know it's popular to hate on Fellaini but he's not as bad as people make out. This Blind was languishing in the doldrums until this season according to what I've read. I'll be surprised if he's any better than Fellaini.
I didn't say that he was better than Fellaini, i said that Blind is a different player he can do things that Fellaini can't et vice versa.
I want to see Fellaini in a Van Bommel role but he is going to need to learn everything about it.

mufcwarm92

I've not seen much of him personally, but someone capable of playing at left back and defensive midfield would be a great option for us. As I say I've not seen him much but he's got some high praise over the past season. Michael Cox of Zonal Marking, for instance, described him as 'ludicrously talented'. Always thought he was a great judge of a player, but he's not the only one.
He's 24. If he was 18 or 19 I could understand it, but he's the same age as Tom Cleverley. Most people are stating on this forum that Tom's development has already peaked and is going no further. Why the feck would we go for a (not sure if he is a) midfielder that may well have no further scope for development, has never played outside of a poor league and that no other top club has been interested in previously? No doubt I'll get shot down in flames here but I don't see any value in clogging up the squad with more almost certainly mediocre players.
Not all players stand out in their teens. For many players, staying at a lesser club to mature and develop as a player can work wonders. You don't have to look too far from home either - we signed both Evra and Vidic at 24, but barely anyone had heard of them when they were teenagers and both came from significantly weaker leagues. Ridiculous to suggest he's almost certainly mediocre purely based on his age. Plenty of players improve significantly beyond the age of 24, it's not a mechanical process, not all players peak at the same time of develop into top players as quickly.

Herman Van Rompuy

Bears False Witness
To be honest I'm just talking in probabilities. Fellaini isn't as bad as is made out, he's much better than he's shown this season. We'll find out more about Blind at the WC but I bet he's not as good as you make out. There's always someone on here blowing smoke up our arses about some random footballer. The fact that this guy nearly flopped in Eredivisie tells me he probably isn't going to be a 'top class player'.
Fellaini should not be a defensive midfielder. He just doesn't have the discipline for it. One of the biggest problems for Fellaini is that he's been played at the wrong end of the pitch for us due to our weak midfield. I won't blame Moyes... Na, I will. Totally the wrong signing for what we needed at the time. I don;t know if he has a future at United.

FortBoyard

gets teste with iPads
Supports
Bitter Racism
I've not seen much of him personally, but someone capable of playing at left back and defensive midfield would be a great option for us. As I say I've not seen him much but he's got some high praise over the past season. Michael Cox of Zonal Marking, for instance, described him as 'ludicrously talented'. Always thought he was a great judge of a player, but he's not the only one.

Not all players stand out in their teens. For many players, staying at a lesser club to mature and develop as a player can work wonders. You don't have to look too far from home either - we signed both Evra and Vidic at 24, but barely anyone had heard of them when they were teenagers and both came from significantly weaker leagues. Ridiculous to suggest he's almost certainly mediocre purely based on his age. Plenty of players improve significantly beyond the age of 24, it's not a mechanical process, not all players peak at the same time of develop into top players as quickly.
While I agree with your point, I'm going to be a pedant and say that Evra was a champions league finalist before he came to us and had a good deal of pedigree.

backofthenet

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
He's not the messiah... he's a very naughty boy

Whilst I will not disagree that some players can take longer to mature you cannot deny that the over-exposed nature of the game today suggests that finding the hidden bargains is that much more unlikely. To suggest that all of the clubs in Germany, France, Italy, Spain and England have overlooked this player is stretching credibility. Which other top club has been linked or attempted to buy? I can get that a player may be overlooked in a Uruguayan or Honduran league for example. I can't beleive that a relative journeyman with a famous dad at a very famous club would have not been scouted by most of the top teams and all of them decided to pass. Its Van Gaals insistance on a Dutch bias that is driving this, not neccesarily the ability of the player and he has a lot of previous for this.

mufcwarm92

While I agree with your point, I'm going to be a pedant and say that Evra was a champions league finalist before he came to us and had a good deal of pedigree.
He had indeed, though only a year and a half prior to United signing him. Given that it was contested by Monaco and Porto, there are a fair few players from that season who played in the final but didn't go on to have great careers. Decent pedigree though I agree.

Likewise in Vidic's case he stood out as a vital part of a Serbia and Montenegro side that conceded only once in qualifying for the 2006 World Cup. They both had good pedigree and were beginning to attract attention from abroad prior to signing for United.

But the point still stands that both were playing in lesser leagues at 24. As we all know both ended up reaching the very top of the footballing ladder too.

Whilst I will not disagree that some players can take longer to mature you cannot deny that the over-exposed nature of the game today suggests that finding the hidden bargains is that much more unlikely. To suggest that all of the clubs in Germany, France, Italy, Spain and England have overlooked this player is stretching credibility. Which other top club has been linked or attempted to buy? I can get that a player may be overlooked in a Uruguayan or Honduran league for example. I can't beleive that a relative journeyman with a famous dad at a very famous club would have not been scouted by most of the top teams and all of them decided to pass. Its Van Gaals insistance on a Dutch bias that is driving this, not neccesarily the ability of the player and he has a lot of previous for this.
He's not 30, though, he's just turned 24. He's not a journeyman either, as he came through the Ajax academy and has only played for Groningen on loan otherwise. I understand the reluctance to hype a player on the basis of his father but in this case he's Ajax captain, last year's Ajax player of the year and this year's Eredivisie player of the year. Neither Vidic nor Evra can host equivalent honours from leagues of a similar level.

When you talk of the top clubs deciding against him, you're essentially talking about a select group of 10-15 who can a) afford him and b) have a chance of signing him. I'm sure the likes of Newcastle or Fiorentina would love to have him but a move to any side that isn't in the top band of clubs really wouldn't make sense for a player of that pedigree. Of that select band I'm sure the vast majority are fully aware of his progress and several would consider making an approach if he became available this summer.

Lane

Seriously though, I think he's going to develope into a top class player. Would like us to sign him.
Might be too late for that. He is 24 already. He well may become a good player, but a "top class" sell is a bit of a reach.
But lets see how he fares at WC.

iBoss

i-ttack the space
Illuminati headquarters, chillin' with Jay Z.
I see pocco is still hating on everything Dutch. I bet he hasn't even watched Blind play.

You don't need 11 world class players to be the best. I know nothing about Blind, but if Van Gaal has a specific role for him in the squad then he could prove to be useful. Certainly, if he is good on the ball and good with his defensive position, he would be an upgrade on Fellaini. Fellaini is at best a squad player. If we could get him out and get Blind in contributing more specifically whilst saving money, that is only a good thing. That goes for any player Van Gaal thinks can work in a certain way/system.

I do not see the worth in Fellaini because even he does not know what he is.

Lane

You don't need 11 world class players to be the best. I know nothing about Blind, but if Van Gaal has a specific role for him in the squad then he could prove to be useful. Certainly, if he is good on the ball and good with his defensive position, he would be an upgrade on Fellaini. Fellaini is at best a squad player. If we could get him out and get Blind in contributing more specifically whilst saving money, that is only a good thing. That goes for any player Van Gaal thinks can work in a certain way/system.
And that goes for Fellaini? Otherwise you don't make much sense.

Lane

He's not 30, though, he's just turned 24. He's not a journeyman either, as he came through the Ajax academy and has only played for Groningen on loan otherwise. I understand the reluctance to hype a player on the basis of his father but in this case he's Ajax captain, last year's Ajax player of the year and this year's Eredivisie player of the year. Neither Vidic nor Evra can host equivalent honours from leagues of a similar level.

When you talk of the top clubs deciding against him, you're essentially talking about a select group of 10-15 who can a) afford him and b) have a chance of signing him. I'm sure the likes of Newcastle or Fiorentina would love to have him but a move to any side that isn't in the top band of clubs really wouldn't make sense for a player of that pedigree. Of that select band I'm sure the vast majority are fully aware of his progress and several would consider making an approach if he became available this summer.
You make some good points. Obviously he can progress, and be a useful player in a top team, although i think "top class" is not that probable. But then again we do have examples on Fernandinho in City or even Yaya Toure who was just slightly younger while still playing wherever he was before Barca.
But you are really overselling dutch league and it's importance. A lot of top (by local criteria i mean) players went to a lesser clubs. Strootman went to Roma, a good club, but not really above Fio or NU. Anita went to Newcastle, Stekelenburg, once a GK of national team is playing in Fulham. Bony the best player of the league of 2013 went to Swansea. There are also all sort of other examples, Vlaar to Villa, you can think of Twente team that won the league. Their top players also went to a middle table clubs. The era when only top-10 teams could prise away the best talents in Holland, like that was in 90s, is gone by a long shot.

So i think Blind junior would consider not only a an offers from top 10 clubs, but also offers from the likes of, i don't know, Everton, Valencia, Wolfsburg, Fiorentina, if they'll come.

Herman Van Rompuy

Bears False Witness
Might be too late for that. He is 24 already. He well may become a good player, but a "top class" sell is a bit of a reach.
But lets see how he fares at WC.
I don't think anybody can say 24 is too late for anyone and certainly not somebody who was very recently converted from a fullback into a deep-lying midfielder.

Lane

I don't think anybody can say 24 is too late for anyone and certainly not somebody who was very recently converted from a fullback into a deep-lying midfielder.
Well, Strootman injury give his all the opportunities he needs to shine on the world's biggest stage. Lets see how well he'll top level football.

SATA

I remember people compared him similiarly to van Bronkhorst. If he turns out exactly like him, i think we will have a very good and competent player on our hands. And i read he's the captain of Ajax, isn't he?

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
I see pocco is still hating on everything Dutch. I bet he hasn't even watched Blind play.

I do not see the worth in Fellaini because even he does not know what he is.
His whole argument was based on his having read a bit about him apparently, but he still speaks with ostensible authority. Gotta admire his shamelessness.

iBoss

i-ttack the space
Illuminati headquarters, chillin' with Jay Z.
And that goes for Fellaini? Otherwise you don't make much sense.
What is Fellaini? What is he good at? He does not deserve a place as a squad player when he costs so much and is on high wages. Which is why I said, if we were to sign someone at a low fee on low wages who could do a useful job in a certain system then players like Fellaini should be replaced. Same goes for Young.

What are Fellaini and Young really good at? What is the point in them? They showed potential at their former team, but wont or haven't cut it here and are on stupid high wages (apparently). What system or play styles do these two fit? They offer very little. In the case of Fellaini, to get the best out of him we may have to play long ball. £27Million and his weekly wages for that? Makes no sense both on the pitch and financially.

Truedevil

The only player beside Strootman who i'd like at United from the Oranje.

Herman Van Rompuy

Bears False Witness
His whole argument was based on his having read a bit about him apparently, but he still speaks with ostensible authority. Gotta admire his shamelessness.
And apparently Fellaini can perform the same role pretty successfully in pocco's head. A frightening insight into what goes on in pocco's head. :lol:

The Neviller

I can see this one happening. Whether anybody likes it or not, Van Gaal is all about the system and who works in it, ahead of players, their names and reputations. If he feels this guy fits his system and what he wants to play (you'd assume he does, he's taking him to the world cup) then he'll sign him irrespective of how big a name or reputation in football he has.

Never seen the guy play, know nothing about him, but if Van Gaal sees a role for him here then I'm happy to see how it goes.

Lane

I remember people compared him similiarly to van Bronkhorst. If he turns out exactly like him, i think we will have a very good and competent player on our hands. And i read he's the captain of Ajax, isn't he?
No. I've only seen him in two matches, but his is nothing like V Bronkhorst. If anything he is closer to a P Neville as type of player.

Kaos

I can see this one happening. Whether anybody likes it or not, Van Gaal is all about the system and who works in it, ahead of players, their names and reputations. If he feels this guy fits his system and what he wants to play (you'd assume he does, he's taking him to the world cup) then he'll sign him irrespective of how big a name or reputation in football he has.

Never seen the guy play, know nothing about him, but if Van Gaal sees a role for him here then I'm happy to see how it goes.
Pretty much this.

LvG has a track record of building effective title-winning teams without breaking the bank. If he thinks that Blind Jnr fits his planned system more than a far more expensive Tony Kroos, then I'm not going to doubt him.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself

I agree with this.

Glanville95

If Carrick is able to rediscover his form of the 2012/13 season, I don't see any reason why he couldn't perform the role as a pivot in a three-man midfield, just as effectively as Blind would. He's just come off of a poor season for us, but he still remains our most competent midfielder and van Gaal is a manager always inclined to assess and improve the players at his disposal first and foremost.

I haven't seen a lot of Blind, so my opinion might not offer a fair reflection on his ability as a player. But from watching a few Holland matches and that compilation of his game against PSV, he doesn't seem to trump Carrick in too many areas that is essential for a deep midfielder. He's more mobile, better in congested areas and has better tactical awareness, but Carrick is a better passer of the ball - short and long - and isn't overly reliant on foot like Blind is. The Dutchman has age on his side, so might be a worthwhile investment however.

We need two central midfielders anyway and seeing as LVG operates with a three-man midfield comprising of a pivot, box-to-box midfielder and a playmaker. Assuming we sign a box-to-box midfielder, we would also need a pivot, so perhaps Blind can be an able deputy to Carrick or vice-versa.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)
No. I've only seen him in two matches, but his is nothing like V Bronkhorst. If anything he is closer to a P Neville as type of player.
I was one of the people who compared him to Van Bronckhorst and it's pretty much spot on. I also said that while Gio made it to Arsenal and won the Champions League as a left back with Barca, I doubt Blind will reach that level.

Blind is a very good passer, almost never loses the ball and has excellent vision. Wouldn't say Phil Neville was known for those traits in particular. Blind is a natural midfielder, but played mostly as a left back at Ajax up until this season. Isn't super fast, but he compensates with intelligent positioning. Giovanni van Bronkchorst was a a left footed defensive midfielder who like Daley Blind was used as a left back a lot. He wasn't the fastest, but he was a good passer and comfortable on the ball.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
And apparently Fellaini can perform the same role pretty successfully in pocco's head. A frightening insight into what goes on in pocco's head. :lol:
Isn't pocco the poster who is apparently friends with Moyes' family or something like that? His posts since Moyes' sacking have been completely agenda driven especially as far as RvP and anything connected to LvG or Woody is concerned. More than just a bit predictable.

dutchred

Isn't pocco the poster who is apparently friends with Moyes' family or something like that? His posts since Moyes' sacking have been completely agenda driven especially as far as RvP and anything connected to LvG or Woody is concerned. More than just a bit predictable.
You can't compare van Bronkhurst to Blind. VB stared off as left winger at Feyenoord and got converted to a left back. Blind stared as left central defender in the Ajax youth, played at left back for Ajax first team, mainly due to injuries of Boilessen and finally de Boer converted him to a defensive midfielder. He is not quick but has a good left foot and is positional excellent. Is not a world class player but no team has 11 world class players

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
You can't compare van Bronkhurst to Blind. VB stared off as left winger at Feyenoord and got converted to a left back. Blind stared as left central defender in the Ajax youth, played at left back for Ajax first team, mainly due to injuries of Boilessen and finally de Boer converted him to a defensive midfielder. He is not quick but has a good left foot and is positional excellent. Is not a world class player but no team has 11 world class players
I think you quoted the wrong post/poster, but still point taken :)

Status
Not open for further replies.