Daley Blind - Deal Confirmed

Status
Not open for further replies.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Will he be playing as the DM or the LB in the national team?

dutchred

That's something we've been missing as well. So you think he's good enough then? he's bound to be easier to obtain than some of the superstars being thrown about as well.
I'm not sure his is good enough but would be a good squad player especially as he can play at left back or ass a DM or even in defense. I would prefer to let Rothwell and/or Pearson have chance next season, especially if we are going after Strootman

Tomuś

Nani is crap, I tell you!
A friend of mine is a huge Ajax fan and he laughs this Blind shit off. He regards him as a mediocre player at best who just happened to have a good season playing as DM but is nowhere near the level required here. According to him, he's not a good passer, can't run and his technique is mediocre. The only positive thing he's got to say about him is that he's pretty good tactically.

That's coming from someone who watches every single Ajax game and is the last person to write a Dutch player off. He's the most knowledgeable about footie of all my mates so it's enough for me.

The Neviller

A friend of mine is a huge Ajax fan and he laughs this Blind shit off. He regards him as a mediocre player at best who just happened to have a good season playing as DM but is nowhere near the level required here. According to him, he's not a good passer, can't run and his technique is mediocre. The only positive thing he's got to say about him is that he's pretty good tactically.

That's coming from someone who watches every single Ajax game and is the last person to write a Dutch player off. He's the most knowledgeable about footie of all my mates so it's enough for me.
So he's more knowledgeable about Dutch football/footballers than Van Gaal, the Dutch national coach who has selected Blind in his top 23 Dutch players available to him for his World Cup squad?

I think I'll take the word of the guy involved in football over your mate who watches Ajax.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Soon all these Dutch footballers we're getting strong linking to shall be put to solid test of one of World Cup's toughest group. That should give some insight on them for both us & Van Gaal.

They'll be under pressure of biggest football stage, so it should generate fair judgement how they fit into Manchester United's ambitions.

Tomuś

So he's more knowledgeable about Dutch football/footballers than Van Gaal, the Dutch national coach who has selected Blind in his top 23 Dutch players available to him for his World Cup squad?

I think I'll take the word of the guy involved in football over your mate who watches Ajax.
Then I take it you rate Young, Valencia, Cleverley and Buttner.

Tomuś

Blind is substantially better than Buttner and tougher than Clev.

Decent plan B.
Not my point. My point is that Ferguson clearly rated, to some extent, all of the players I mentioned and yet somehow I don't see people defending them for that reason alone. And Sir Alex is even bigger a figure in football that Van Gaal is. Hypocrisy I call it. Van Gaal took Blind because there are injuries in Dutch squad and Daley had a good season playing as a DM. Even then, it's not as if Blind's going to be the focal point in Brazil, is it? He's in in 23 squad, not the first name on the list.

The Neviller

Then I take it you rate Young, Valencia, Cleverley and Buttner.
Has Van Gaal selected them all for his Dutch national squad for the upcoming World Cup? If not, then I don't see what their relevance is.

I'm assuming you mean it's because these players were signed for Manchester United by Alex Ferguson so that means he rated them, and those who don't/didn't know better? If so, then yes, I think barring Buttner they're all decent enough players (Valencia had at least one season where he was immense, so I don't know why he always gets thrown into the shit player category). But irrespective of whether I rate them or not, I'd still take Ferguson's opinion over my own, a guy who just watches football and doesn't have any professional involvement in it.

Tell me, how many trophies did Ferguson win with those players?

If Van Gaal thinks this Blind guy fits his system and how he wants United to play then I'm happy to trust him with his transfer selections, whether I've seen the guy play and rate him or otherwise. He knows what he's doing, more so than your mate who watches Ajax.

The Neviller

Not my point. My point is that Ferguson clearly rated, to some extent, all of the players I mentioned and yet somehow I don't see people defending them for that reason alone. And Sir Alex is even bigger a figure in football that Van Gaal is. Hypocrisy I call it. Van Gaal took Blind because there are injuries in Dutch squad and Daley had a good season playing as a DM. Even then, it's not as if Blind's going to be the focal point in Brazil, is it? He's in in 23 squad, not the first name on the list.
Well then he won't sign him for United then, so the discussion is moot anyway.

If he think he fits his system and signs him for United then I'll trust his opinion on him, and won't really care what your mate reckons.

Sound fair?

Tomuś

Has Van Gaal selected them all for his Dutch national squad for the upcoming World Cup? If not, then I don't see what their relevance is.

I'm assuming you mean it's because these players were signed for Manchester United by Alex Ferguson so that means he rated them, and those who don't/didn't know better? If so, then yes, I think barring Buttner they're all decent enough players (Valencia had at least one season where he was immense, so I don't know why he always gets thrown into the shit player category). But irrespective of whether I rate them or not, I'd still take Ferguson's opinion over my own, a guy who just watches football and doesn't have any professional involvement in it.

If Van Gaal thinks this Blind guy fits his system and how he wants United to play then I'm happy to trust him with his transfer selections, whether I've seen the guy play and rate him or otherwise. He knows what he's doing, more so than your mate who watches Ajax.
I threw Valencia in there not because I think he's shit but because he's called so on here. I'm one of the biggest advocates of our so-called deadwood fyi. Also, what do you mean by 'barring Buttner'? You know better than SAF about him? There's no barring at all, either you blindly follow the manager's judgement or you're a hypocrite. Ajax fans have been bewildered at why Blind gets playing time, saying he only plays because of his dad. It's only this season that he looked useful. He used to be a laughing stock in Eredivisie.

Anyway, seeing as anything you do is saying 'I'd rather take Van Gaal's view on him than your mate's' it's now wonder you won't think why did he take him and what of what importance is he to the Dutch team. Or the fact that I only passed the info from a guy who watches Blind every week and did so in his thread. Is this disallowed now?

saivet

Maybe Van Gaal's other options aren't very good and so Blind is the best of a bad bunch? I've never seen him but especially after seeing the Dutch squad I don't think it's a great feat becoming one of the 23.

The Neviller

I threw Valencia in there not because I think he's shit but because he's called so on here. I'm one of the biggest advocates of our so-called deadwood fyi. Also, what do you mean by 'barring Buttner'? You know better than SAF about him? There's no barring at all, either you blindly follow the manager's judgement or you're a hypocrite. Ajax fans have been bewildered at why Blind gets playing time, saying he only plays because of his dad. It's only this season that he looked anywhere close to useful. He used to be a laughing stock in Eredivisie.

Anyway, seeing as anything you do is saying 'I'd rather take Van Gaal's view on him than your mate's' it's now wonder you won't think why did he take him and what of what importance is he to the Dutch team. Or the fact that I only passed the info from a guy who watches Blind every week and did so in his thread. Is this disallowed now?
I don't blindly follow anyones opinion, I just trust people involved in football to be better judges of whether a player suits what they're trying to do with a team more than I'd trust mine or anyone else who is simply a football fan/supporter/watcher and not actually involved in the game. To suggest people outside the game know more than managers/coaches/scouts about what it takes to be a top player or play in the style they've chosen for the club they manage is a ridiculous notion, because if we did we wouldn't be sitting on our arses watching football, we'd be managers, coaches or scouts.

You can bring your mates opinion in here if you want, I'm just telling you as nice as it is and all, if Van Gaal signs him I wont be thinking "but that guy off RedCafes mate doesn't rate him so he mustn't be a good signing". You probably shouldn't take your mates word either.

mufcwarm92

I threw Valencia in there not because I think he's shit but because he's called so on here. I'm one of the biggest advocates of our so-called deadwood fyi. Also, what do you mean by 'barring Buttner'? You know better than SAF about him? There's no barring at all, either you blindly follow the manager's judgement or you're a hypocrite. Ajax fans have been bewildered at why Blind gets playing time, saying he only plays because of his dad. It's only this season that he looked useful. He used to be a laughing stock in Eredivisie.

You should start questioning your mate's opinions - he was Ajax player of the season in 2012-13.

Herman Van Rompuy

Bears False Witness

This is really the age-old criticism of someone in Blind's shoes. The fact that someone has a father who was a class player can sometimes mean that people are unfairly critical of them. It happens in all sports, not just football. The first thing people should do is get the fact he's Danny Blind's son out of their head and look for potential in him. That is what Van Gaal will be doing and that is quite often why people from outside can better evaluate a player than those closer to him. I back my own eye for a player enough to see the qualities he has and those he doesn't without reference to who his dad is.

Van Gaal may choose against signing him, in which case I'd accept he doesn't think he's quite good for us/or wouldn't fit into the system he wants to implement.

Either way, everybody mentioning the world cup is right; we should all reserve a final judgement until we see him play against some of the best players in the world.

Kaos

Short-sighted piece of business or a potential blinder of a deal?........there's a reason I don't post much on the footie forums.

Amir

He could be right.

Or he could be like that West Ham fan who lamblasted Redknapp for playing young Lampard at West Ham.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
He could be right.

Or he could be like that West Ham fan who lamblasted Redknapp for playing young Lampard at West Ham.
It fits in with what I've read about Blind.

Anyway, apparently the Dutch media are getting frustrated because our media is making up bollocks about us going after all these Dutch players, which they have been told isn't the case. Apprently the likes of Depay aren't on Van Gaals list according to them.

We'll probably never hear Blinds name mentioned on here again after this summer, except for when Herman Van Munster, or whatever he's called, stops by to tell us he'll be a top player soon and the rest of the footballing world and it's supporters just don't know what they're talking about.

Herman Van Rompuy

Bears False Witness
It fits in with what I've read about Blind.

Anyway, apparently the Dutch media are getting frustrated because our media is making up bollocks about us going after all these Dutch players, which they have been told isn't the case. Apprently the likes of Depay aren't on Van Gaals list according to them.

We'll probably never hear Blinds name mentioned on here again after this summer, except for when Herman Van Munster, or whatever he's called, stops by to tell us he'll be a top player soon and the rest of the footballing world and it's supporters just don't know what they're talking about.
:lol: Dear oh dear, pocco. It looks like you're getting frustrated, too.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
:lol: Dear oh dear, pocco. It looks like you're getting frustrated, too.
Not in the slightest.

I just find it amusing that you think some 24 year old guy playing in Eredivisie will be 'top class', seemingly because we're linked to him. Because nobody agrees you conclude that it just goes to show that most people don't have an eye for a good player. When you come out with something like that then you're opening yourself up to this type of response.

Herman Van Rompuy

Bears False Witness
Not in the slightest.

I just find it amusing that you think some 24 year old guy playing in Eredivisie will be 'top class', seemingly because we're linked to him. Because nobody agrees you conclude that it just goes to show that most people don't have an eye for a good player. When you come out with something like that then you're opening yourself up to this type of response.
If you'd read my post again, you'd see that I put "eye" in bold text to make sure it was taken as a joke in relation to the player's name. I suppose you want to make more of it than that so you can put the focus on me instead of the ridiculous comments you made about "having read a bit about the player", and that you felt "Fellaini could do the same job pretty successfully". It's funny you're still claiming the football world agrees with you on Daley Blind, as though that makes your statements any less ridiculous.

I suppose I've opened myself up to being called "Herman van Munster" because I rate the Ajax player of the year and think he could come on leaps and bounds in the no.6 role for a big club. What do I know? the footballing world has spoken according to pocco. Shame on me.

The Neviller

Not in the slightest.

Maybe I'm wrong but I assumed the "eye for a player" bit was a pun.

Don't quote me on that, though. Just the way I saw it.

Edit: Seeems I saw right. What he did there, you didn't see it. You could say you were blind to it, if you wanted to make a really obvious pun.

Herman Van Rompuy

Bears False Witness
I suppose we could say well in with that one but that might be stretching it a bit far. Let me know if you have trouble with those.

Henrik Larsson

Still logged in at RAWK (help!)

Your friend is correct about Blind being nowhere near the level required here. But he is a very decent passer, especially for a left back. In midfield he is alright too, that's his natural position.

Lane

What is Fellaini? What is he good at? He does not deserve a place as a squad player when he costs so much and is on high wages. Which is why I said, if we were to sign someone at a low fee on low wages who could do a useful job in a certain system then players like Fellaini should be replaced. Same goes for Young.

What are Fellaini and Young really good at? What is the point in them? They showed potential at their former team, but wont or haven't cut it here and are on stupid high wages (apparently). What system or play styles do these two fit? They offer very little. In the case of Fellaini, to get the best out of him we may have to play long ball. £27Million and his weekly wages for that? Makes no sense both on the pitch and financially.
Both are fine players, they might not be a United's level or a good fit here, that the other issue entirely. But both were very good in their previous clubs, so they clearly have something to offer. Blind transfer if done can also be unsuccessful. And i just wonder whether you were that adamant and vocal about Young's skills in his first year here, when he was one of our better performers and actually had a pretty decent season.

Lane

I was one of the people who compared him to Van Bronckhorst and it's pretty much spot on. I also said that while Gio made it to Arsenal and won the Champions League as a left back with Barca, I doubt Blind will reach that level.

Blind is a very good passer, almost never loses the ball and has excellent vision. Wouldn't say Phil Neville was known for those traits in particular. Blind is a natural midfielder, but played mostly as a left back at Ajax up until this season. Isn't super fast, but he compensates with intelligent positioning. Giovanni van Bronkchorst was a a left footed defensive midfielder who like Daley Blind was used as a left back a lot. He wasn't the fastest, but he was a good passer and comfortable on the ball.
Gio was much more pacy, he was in fact a proper wingback, he had a great cross, great long shot as well. He used to beat his man a lot. Blind has a good stamina and speed, but his pace, his "acceleration" so to speak is rather average at best, his dribbling weak as well, he hardly beats a man when he plays on the left in a Gio's fashion.
As i 've said Blind might be better, but his the same type of player as Phil. Blind has a slightly better passing range, but he is, as Neville was, a "no-nonsense passer". He keeps the ball, but hardly make many adventurous passes, he is not a playmaker-type of player. Phil Neville did that job exactly win the ball back, mostly play it safe.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
His father was better
His old man was a bit of a late bloomer, too. Just a few months shy of his 25th birthday when he made his international debut and subsequently moved from Sparta to Ajax.

Herman Van Rompuy

Bears False Witness
Gio was much more pacy, he was in fact a proper wingback, he had a great cross, great long shot as well. He used to beat his man a lot. Blind has a good stamina and speed, but his pace, his "acceleration" so to speak is rather average at best, his dribbling weak as well, he hardly beats a man when he plays on the left in a Gio's fashion.
As i 've said Blind might be better, but his the same type of player as Phil. Blind has a slightly better passing range, but he is, as Neville was, a "no-nonsense passer". He keeps the ball, but hardly make many adventurous passes, he is not a playmaker-type of player. Phil Neville did that job exactly win the ball back, mostly play it safe.
I recall a spell for us when Phil Neville was great in that role but I think Blint has more about him. Either way, we'll see. He will probably improve under Van Gaal at the world cup just like many of the young Dutch players.

I know people are saying the Dutch are weak this year but I am not going to write them all off yet.

mufcwarm92

The 'he's 24, he won't be a top player' argument is just ludicrous.

Some of the best players in the world were largely unknown until their early-mid twenties and went on to improve significantly beyond that point. Thiago Silva, Felipe Luis, Benatia, Falcao, Cavani just off the top of my head, plus Vidic, Evra, Drogba, Carvalho and countless more over recent years. This lad is Dutch player of the year and getting rave reviews in his new position. Writing off because of his age is daft.

Tomuś

I don't blindly follow anyones opinion, I just trust people involved in football to be better judges of whether a player suits what they're trying to do with a team more than I'd trust mine or anyone else who is simply a football fan/supporter/watcher and not actually involved in the game. To suggest people outside the game know more than managers/coaches/scouts about what it takes to be a top player or play in the style they've chosen for the club they manage is a ridiculous notion, because if we did we wouldn't be sitting on our arses watching football, we'd be managers, coaches or scouts.

You can bring your mates opinion in here if you want, I'm just telling you as nice as it is and all, if Van Gaal signs him I wont be thinking "but that guy off RedCafes mate doesn't rate him so he mustn't be a good signing". You probably shouldn't take your mates word either.
Give me one line where I stated you should trust yourself, me or mates before a professional manager and this post will make some sense. Van Gaal took him to his wide 23 men squad, not to play first fiddle. He did so why having injuries that not only tinker with his personnel options, but also formations. He needed player like Blind, who is high on confidence after a good season, just to be there. He won't threw a hissy fit if he doesn't play which is a bonus and something priceless considering he is playing for their national team.

There were and are better players who even though respected by their respective managers, are not the answer for us. Not a slight o them nor is it being arrogant but we should aim much higher that that.

There are Dutch posters in Clasie thread who watch him a lot and say he's not good enough, yet experts who saw him play once, against Ecuador or didn't watch at all but just saw the assist, happen to know more apparently. Clasie goes to Brazil as well. Is it an indicator now that whoever gets picked by a top manager for a 23 men national squad is good enough for us?

Tomuś

Anyway, if he's so good as people who never watched him, or watched him a couple of times think, then Van Gaal will bring him here. Apart from ability, he's got no reasons not to - young-ish, Dutch, not a trouble maker, cheap. Then if Van Gaal does think he's good enough and brings him here, I'll be the first to admit that my mate and presumably I, just because I passed his judgement, were all wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.