Dalian Atkinson dies after being tasered by police

JB7

At least it's "clearly manslaughter" now, he's come a long way.
Aww cute searching back to when it appeared that he’d died of a cardiac arrest from being tasered. I think as soon as it came out he’d been kicked in the head while on the ground that turned the case around pretty quickly.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
Well I daresay the jury know a lot more about the case than you or I and most of the facts publicly available point towards manslaughter rather than murder in legal terms.

I think you’ll find that the first thing I said was it was a completely different situation to George Floyd & my comments on Atkinson himself were in response to someone suggesting pointing out that they were different sounded like I was applying to be a cop. Which to clarify is probably the last job I would ever want to do.
Kicking someone in the head twice is a pretty cut and dry case of GBH. If someone dies as a result of GBH that’s murder, “in legal terms”.

Sadly the reality is the jury will have shied away from that because it’s a police officer.

NotThatSoph

Aww cute searching back to when it appeared that he’d died of a cardiac arrest from being tasered. I think as soon as it came out he’d been kicked in the head while on the ground that turned the case around pretty quickly.
Witness reports about the kicking have been out since 2016, boss.

JB7

Kicking someone in the head twice is a pretty cut and dry case of GBH. If someone dies as a result of GBH that’s murder, “in legal terms”.

Sadly the reality is the jury will have shied away from that because it’s a police officer.
In ordinary circumstances, yes of course it is. In the circumstances of being called out in the middle of the night to a man screaming at his father that he’s killed his siblings & is going to kill him before turning on the police and telling them he going to kill them as well alters the circumstances somewhat in the interests of fairness - which is exactly what the jury is there to provide.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
In ordinary circumstances, yes of course it is. In the circumstances of being called out in the middle of the night to a man screaming at his father that he’s killed his siblings & is going to kill him before turning on the police and telling them he going to kill them as well alters the circumstances somewhat in the interests of fairness - which is exactly what the jury is there to provide.
He’d been tasered for over 30 seconds.

Before then being kicked in the head.

Twice.

Whilst lay on the ground.

If your instinct is to put yourself in the shoes of the officer doing the kicking and look for rationalisations I don’t know what to say to you.

JB7

He’d been tasered for over 30 seconds.

Before then being kicked in the head.

Twice.

Whilst lay on the ground.

If your instinct is to put yourself in the shoes of the officer doing the kicking and look for rationalisations I don’t know what to say to you.
My instinct is to look at the situation as a whole for what it was, rather than blindly shouting murder and applying zero context to it. The police officer acted disgracefully, that does not make it murder - if it was then he would have been found guilty of it.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
My instinct is to look at the situation as a whole for what it was, rather than blindly shouting murder and applying zero context to it. The police officer acted disgracefully, that does not make it murder - if it was then he would have been found guilty of it.
You’re either entirely disingenuous or inexplicably naive.

I have a sense of which it is but I’ve no interest in continuing the discussion.

markhughes

I have to agree with you here, it's not cut and dry at all, people arguing murder have probably never been in a situation even close to this and therefore don't understand the context of the situation. Manslaughter seems like the correct call to me, nothing premeditated about this at all.

esmufc07

Brad
Scout
I have to agree with you here, it's not cut and dry at all, people arguing murder have probably never been in a situation even close to this and therefore don't understand the context of the situation. Manslaughter seems like the correct call to me, nothing premeditated about this at all.
There is no context which allows a police officer to taser someone for 30 seconds and to boot them so hard in the head that it leaves an imprint.

markhughes

There is no context which allows a police officer to taser someone for 30 seconds and to boot them so hard in the head that it leaves an imprint.
I'm not condoning the officers actions, he clearly went too far and should be punished accordingly but for it to be murder it has to be premeditated, intent to kill has to be demonstrated.

Given the extreme circumstances of the situation I would say that intent to kill is a stretch.