Dalian Atkinson dies after being tasered by police

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I'm gonna quote vincenzo

"Here's a perfectly fine looking apple, but one side is rotten. Would you call it a fine apple? Or rotten apple?"

Here's a container full of apples, but some of them are rotten though. How much? 1 out of 10000? 10 out of 100000? At what point can we say it's unacceptable for a batch of apples to have so many rotten apples inside of it.

Roane

It’s terrible what happened to Atkinson and if he was murdered then the officer should be locked up. That said, there are 130000 police officers in the UK so it does still appear to be a tiny minority that are involved in nefarious activities.
I worked in a community safety role for about 10 years. My role was basically working with community safety managers (local councils, usually ex policemen) and senior police officers (as well as fire service, and agencies such as VS).

Whilst I agree with the sentiment that not all police officers are bad, the bad apples or tiny minority isn't in my view correct either.

I would say however, that the focus on individual officers may well lead to the bad apples and minority conclusion but as an institution In have witnesses things that I would say shows a body that closes rank and doesn't always allow the "truth" to come out.

I'm not sure if I can go into details with specific cases but working on the "inside" I would say that issues like the summer riots in Bradford and Stoke on Trent were not portrayed accurately, it is my belief the police instigated , albeit not deliberately in the first instance, and then covered up their mistakes.

The issue of domestic violence against partners amongst police officers is huge, albeit never highlighted and I know for a fact if VS weren't funded through the police they would like to tackle this.

Further tonthus in have witnessed incidents were police officers have acted heavy handed, in one case an autistic lad, but spun it won't be lads brothers saw jail time and police didn't get any come back. Someone in this case had said they videoed the incidence and the senior officer went full out to intimidate the person in question. The video never materialized.

I can give many examples of police "cover ups" or taking an approach seeing them escape any real questioning, from the grooming cases to terror arrests etc but I'm not sure if this forum is the right place for me to give specifics.

I signed up to be a police officer at 18. Had to be 18 and a half at the time and in at 19. Decided to do a degree (as they had the promotion scheme at the time were if you passed your sergeants exam after 2 years you were guarantees inspector within 6). After getting my degree my priorities changed. A few years later I was head hunted by a superintendent I had worked with to join up, imnasian so he said he would put menon an excelled scheme. I just couldn't take the paycut for a couple of years otherwise inwas tempted.

I do however have family in the force and a friend who I grew up with was chief inspector. Through work I socialized with superintendents and chief inspectors and have had conversations which again I'm reluctant to put on here.

One example I will give is a cousin who was with the met. He was abusive to his wife and they are now divorced. However it took ages for her to get out of the relationship as she couldn't talk to any agencies. The most she was allowed to do was contact her husband's inspector who would "deal with it". It took nearly 20 years for it to be "dealt with".

Again I am not saying thisnis the "norm" for individual officers. I have heard officers voice their grievances but even then they felt they couldn't do anything about it.

PS the chief inspector guy (my mate) was targeted for superintendent but was caught doing some dodgy stuff. He was "retired" on a full pension and now works on an international level with police forces around the world. His wife divorced him too and his kids have disowned him.

Sky1981

Fending off the urge
I worked in a community safety role for about 10 years. My role was basically working with community safety managers (local councils, usually ex policemen) and senior police officers (as well as fire service, and agencies such as VS).

Whilst I agree with the sentiment that not all police officers are bad, the bad apples or tiny minority isn't in my view correct either.

I would say however, that the focus on individual officers may well lead to the bad apples and minority conclusion but as an institution In have witnesses things that I would say shows a body that closes rank and doesn't always allow the "truth" to come out.

I'm not sure if I can go into details with specific cases but working on the "inside" I would say that issues like the summer riots in Bradford and Stoke on Trent were not portrayed accurately, it is my belief the police instigated , albeit not deliberately in the first instance, and then covered up their mistakes.

The issue of domestic violence against partners amongst police officers is huge, albeit never highlighted and I know for a fact if VS weren't funded through the police they would like to tackle this.

Further tonthus in have witnessed incidents were police officers have acted heavy handed, in one case an autistic lad, but spun it won't be lads brothers saw jail time and police didn't get any come back. Someone in this case had said they videoed the incidence and the senior officer went full out to intimidate the person in question. The video never materialized.

I can give many examples of police "cover ups" or taking an approach seeing them escape any real questioning, from the grooming cases to terror arrests etc but I'm not sure if this forum is the right place for me to give specifics.

I signed up to be a police officer at 18. Had to be 18 and a half at the time and in at 19. Decided to do a degree (as they had the promotion scheme at the time were if you passed your sergeants exam after 2 years you were guarantees inspector within 6). After getting my degree my priorities changed. A few years later I was head hunted by a superintendent I had worked with to join up, imnasian so he said he would put menon an excelled scheme. I just couldn't take the paycut for a couple of years otherwise inwas tempted.

I do however have family in the force and a friend who I grew up with was chief inspector. Through work I socialized with superintendents and chief inspectors and have had conversations which again I'm reluctant to put on here.

One example I will give is a cousin who was with the met. He was abusive to his wife and they are now divorced. However it took ages for her to get out of the relationship as she couldn't talk to any agencies. The most she was allowed to do was contact her husband's inspector who would "deal with it". It took nearly 20 years for it to be "dealt with".

Again I am not saying thisnis the "norm" for individual officers. I have heard officers voice their grievances but even then they felt they couldn't do anything about it.

PS the chief inspector guy (my mate) was targeted for superintendent but was caught doing some dodgy stuff. He was "retired" on a full pension and now works on an international level with police forces around the world. His wife divorced him too and his kids have disowned him.
Imho these arent unique to cops. Troubles at homes, moral corruption etc happens in every walk of life. It's what being human is all about. The only difference is that they are armed and empowered by the society. Hence corruption has a greater effect on them.

Classical Mechanic

I suppose there is a question if it's more prevalent in the police given the power they have, the stresses that they're under and some of the types of character that might be attracted to that type of job. I think that you'd expect a higher prevalence than in the general population.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I suppose there is a question if it's more prevalent in the police given the power they have, the stresses that they're under and some of the types of character that might be attracted to that type of job. I think that you'd expect a higher prevalence than in the general population.
I think you’ve hit the nail on the head. The wrong people hired then getting stressed.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
There’s someone I’ve known my entire life that became a copper

Unless they’ve done a load of work on themselves I wouldn’t wanna encounter them in a position of authority.

Scary seeing the complaints list and subsequent punishments after the Sarah Everard case, so many things that we didn’t know about, too many rotten coppers.

RedPed

Whatabouter.
Yeah feck him and the other pig who used her baton on him after he'd been tasered.

How can you kick someone twice in the head after you've tasered them and deny any wrongdoing?

Raven

Yeah feck him and the other pig who used her baton on him after he'd been tasered.

How can you kick someone twice in the head after you've tasered them and deny any wrongdoing?
I think being an out and out psychopath helps.

owlo

Should have been murder.

Papers an utter disgrace too. Compare and contrast to US media when Chauvin was found guilty. Probably too scared of Priti Patel and her crew.

JB7

Should have been murder.

Papers an utter disgrace too. Compare and contrast to US media when Chauvin was found guilty. Probably too scared of Priti Patel and her crew.
Bit of a difference between kneeling on a guys neck for 8 minutes to kicking a drugged up lunatic threatening to kill people.

owlo

Bit of a difference between kneeling on a guys neck for 8 minutes to kicking a drugged up lunatic threatening to kill people.
- He'd been tasered for 33 seconds prior.
- He was prone on the ground.
- Floyd was also on drugs; it's inconsequential in both instances

It was the cold blooded murder of a mentally ill man. No ifs or buts. They simply didn't give a feck. Same indifference as Chauvin.

JB7

Is your application to join the force in the post?
No of course not, but I did know Atkinson and would have loved the opportunity to kick him in the head to be honest, as would countless other people I know. He was a fecking scumbag of the highest order.

Look it is clear the police way overstepped the mark but this was not murder - manslaughter is obviously the correct decision here, he intended to further subdue a bloke trying to get up while he was shouting he was going to kill them. It is worth remembering they were called out in the first place because he'd rocked up at his 85 year old dads house in the middle of the night screaming that he was going to kill him.
- He'd been tasered for 33 seconds prior.
- He was prone on the ground.
- Floyd was also on drugs; it's inconsequential in both instances

It was the cold blooded murder of a mentally ill man. No ifs or buts. They simply didn't give a feck. Same indifference as Chauvin.
It was not inconsequential in this case at all, if he was not on drugs the police would never have been called. Which makes it completely different to the Floyd case. His own family called the police because he had told his dad that he had already killed his brothers and sister and was going to kill him next. When police arrived he screamed about killing them as well. Putting myself in the PCs shoes, if someone is screaming they've killed multiple people & are going to kill me too is trying to get up after I've tasered them I'm panicking too. The PC did a stupid, idiotic thing and went way over and above what was necessary but it sure as hell is not comparative to Floyd and neither is it murder.

Sweet Square

No of course not, but I did know Atkinson and would have loved the opportunity to kick him in the head to be honest, as would countless other people I know. He was a fecking scumbag of the highest order.
Really disgusting post.

JB7

No but I don't think anyone should have their head kicked in and repeatedly tasered by the British police. This is real life and not some Charlies Bronson fantasy.
Strange that you completely took out the line directly below the one you quoted where I said the police overstepped the line and that it was clearly manslaughter then.

Sweet Square

Strange that you completely took out the line directly below the one you quoted where I said the police overstepped the line and that it was clearly manslaughter then.
You also said that you would have loved the opportunity to kick his head in.

Tbh I'm just assuming you're lying about how you think the police overstepped the mark.

JB7

You also said that you would have loved to kick his head in. Tbh I'm just assuming you're lying about how you think the police overstepped the mark.
Well yes, he was an scumbag and in theory I'd love to have kicked him in the head. But I'm also not a criminal or a violent person so that particular theory is not something one generally does in civilised society.

Weird thing to assume, it's not exactly difficult to see that kicking a bloke on the ground hard enough to leave an imprint in his head is way overboard in any circumstance. Just because I didn't like the bloke it doesn't mean I think anything goes.

Sweet Square

Well yes, he was an scumbag and in theory I'd love to have kicked him in the head. But I'm also not a criminal or a violent person so that particular theory is not something one generally does in civilised society.

Weird thing to assume, it's not exactly difficult to see that kicking a bloke on the ground hard enough to leave an imprint in his head is way overboard in any circumstance. Just because I didn't like the bloke it doesn't mean I think anything goes.
Any chance you can leave your little daily mail fantasies inside you're head and not on a online forum ?

NotThatSoph

How to you kick someone's head in theory, do you draw up blueprints or something? Build a life-sized doll that you kick every night because you can't do it in real life?

JB7

How to you kick someone's head in theory, do you draw up blueprints or something? Build a life-sized doll that you kick every night because you can't do it in real life?
It was quite clearly explaining a throwaway comment that had been picked up on as if I was justifying the action. 3/10 try harder.

owlo

Guy with severe mental health problems undergoing a psychotic/manic episode == scumbag of highest order :rolleyes:

Policeman who kicks a prone tasered guy on the ground twice in the head == little overreaction, very different to kneeling on his neck.

This is Tory Britain folks :S

NotThatSoph

It was quite clearly explaining a throwaway comment that had been picked up on as if I was justifying the action. 3/10 try harder.
Not justifying the action, just sympathizing with it. You'd love the opportunity to kill Atkinson in theory, but you wouldn't kill him in practice. It's wrong, you wouldn't do it, but you'd love to do it.

JB7

Guy with severe mental health problems undergoing a psychotic/manic episode == scumbag of highest order :rolleyes:

Policeman who kicks a prone tasered guy on the ground twice in the head == little overreaction, very different to kneeling on his neck.

This is Tory Britain folks :S
So you've taken "overstepped the line, clearly manslaughter" and got to "little overreaction"? Good one.

As for calling me a Tory :lol:

RedPed

Whatabouter.
So you've taken "overstepped the line, clearly manslaughter" and got to "little overreaction"? Good one.

As for calling me a Tory :lol:
Ha ha you must be a copper then. That's the type of fecked up logic they tend to spew out to be fair.

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
What is? Calling kicking someone in the head manslaughter?
It should have been a guilty verdict on the murder charge but the first thing you wanted to say was to insult the victim and empathise with the killers desire to kick him in the head.

JB7

It should have been a guilty verdict on the murder charge but the first thing you wanted to say was to insult the victim and empathise with the killers desire to kick him in the head.
Well I daresay the jury know a lot more about the case than you or I and most of the facts publicly available point towards manslaughter rather than murder in legal terms.

I think you’ll find that the first thing I said was it was a completely different situation to George Floyd & my comments on Atkinson himself were in response to someone suggesting pointing out that they were different sounded like I was applying to be a cop. Which to clarify is probably the last job I would ever want to do.