Dalot or AWB?

Status
Not open for further replies.

justsomebloke

Ok?

Wan Bissaka is very good at one thing, and absolutely atrocious at literally everything else.
That's a slight exaggeration. He is pretty good at ball carrying and ball retention and does the simpler kinds of link-up play pretty safely and reliably, in addition to tackling. That's about it though.

Lemon Moon

Based on what, because it's definitely not on how he defends. Playing him at centre half would be suicidal with his tendency to slide tackle which will either end perfectly or terribly. He gets away with it at fullback because he's not tackling them in the box and if he misses, it's just a free kick or he hopes his centre half bails him out.

Add in his lack of aerial presence and him doing a disappearing act in games, he's one of the last player I'll want playing at centre half.
I think he's b
Based on what, because it's definitely not on how he defends. Playing him at centre half would be suicidal with his tendency to slide tackle which will either end perfectly or terribly. He gets away with it at fullback because he's not tackling them in the box and if he misses, it's just a free kick or he hopes his centre half bails him out.

Add in his lack of aerial presence and him doing a disappearing act in games, he's one of the last player I'll want playing at centre half.
Well, that's just your opinion man...

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
It's so obvious to the naked eye why Dalot is first choice, regardless of his inconsistency. In this system, he plays as an extra CM and still has incredible desire to over and underlap. That isn’t AWB's forte.

saivet

It's so obvious to the naked eye why Dalot is first choice, regardless of his inconsistency. In this system, he plays as an extra CM and still has incredible desire to over and underlap. That isn’t AWB's forte.
Agreed, even if some can argue Dalot isn't good enough, he's a much better match for the way it looks like we will want to play than AWB. In his first season Pep tried it with Sagna and Clichy who I think are better technical full backs than AWB and they struggled and were quickly replaced. I don't think there is any hope for AWB succeeding while under ETH while there is room to grow for Dalot.

The_Midfielder

Dalot will play because he can tuck in as an extra midfield if required.. He is not a good crosser but he is a good passer

Long Time Red

It really depends on the game, Dalot is perfectly adequate playing against lesser teams like he does today but he gets destroyed by elite left wingers on a regular basis.

Kaos

Out of our options, Dalot. But long term neither are anywhere near the quality we'd need. I'd expect us to go big for a RB in a future window.

Interesting, Isn’t this how Klopp utilises TAA?

JB7

No. I would hate us using Dalot or AWB in our first XI
I don't disagree but you have seen us try Lindelof at right back previously right? And Bailly is about as reliable as the McDonalds milkshake machines.

hobbers

As everyone with eyes anticipated, Dalot clearly favoured.

And I wouldn't be surprised if Laird is the preferred backup.

Someone

Something
Dalot offers more going forward but he scares me defensively. A lot of premier league players will run circles around him. Surprised we didn't go for a RB this summer, kinda felt more urgent than LB. I'm all for experimenting with other players there.

Man-United

I don't disagree but you have seen us try Lindelof at right back previously right? And Bailly is about as reliable as the McDonalds milkshake machines.
Yeah. I prefer Lindelof there, he played very well against Watford a few years ago as RB and lots in Sweden U21. But no choice is ideal.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
I still think AWB is basically better than Dalot, even though he doesn't seem to be fancied now and obviously isn't really the type of full back most managers seem to want. Hoping Dalot might develop, but thinking we probably need to buy, unless Laird can make a jump.

Wolfbot

I was watching pre United Wan Bissaka and although raw he looked decent going forward as well as defending. Lots of marauding runs and a willingness to take people on and make good passes inside or stick a cross in.

I can't understand why this disappeared from his game with us as surely it was what we signed him for?

He'd be a really useful player if he could recapture this if not necessarily top drawer.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
At least for now Dalot looks first choice RB.

Yakuza_devils

Almost every player is improving under ETH except AWB.

It's clear Dalot is the 1st choice now. But we should also keep AWB for competition/cover.

Mcking

Wan-Bissaka is not cut out for possession football. He doesn't offer much when his team has the ball, and he is one of the most limited players in the squad.

Dalot since last season has shown plenty to earn some backing imo. He is much improved defensively and has the game to fit in well in a team that want to keep the ball.

Abraxas

I actually think one of Dalot's bigger problems was his lack of desire to overlap last season. He was a bit timid, I didn't see a guy busting a gut to get up and down. Most of his nice play was around the half way line. Then of course he also attracted criticism for his final ball when he did get there.

I think his fitness and decision making need to really improve this season as preseason is one thing but the demands of full back over a PL season are huge. I think if he's fitter he'll have more faith in himself to be able to get back and cover.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I think his crossing has been much improved this pre-season. Presumably someone has been coaching him.
He's not really crossing so much, more just getting into good positions and playing a cut back from the byline, but more importantly to an actual player, not just blind. Our lofted crosses seem to be coming more from the corner of the box through Bruno/Sancho. For me it's clear that Ten Hag right away is pushing certain players to have the freedom to play those balls and the others to have more a repeatable structure/pattern that they can learn and perfect. How it should be!

Dalot is very good at progressing it up the pitch and he's been very encouraging for me with his Sancho link up. He might not be a top player, but he's a very decent player and I think he'll be fine as a starter this year.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Pretty obvious that Dalot was going to be favoured over AWB given the manager we appointed but I would hope selling AWB and bringing in another fullback is still potentially on the cards.

Skills

Snitch
Dalot should be okay this season, though ideally we need a wide overlapping right back - especially as Shaw already plays the underlapping inverted full back role much better on the left.

This will open the middle up for Sancho or the RW

flameinthesun

Whilst there are still doubts about Dalot I have to give him props for keeping his head down, steadily improving, going on loan etc. Quite easily is the better fullback over awb. Hoping he can continue improving as there is a very good player in there somewhere.

the hea

Dalot has actually looked quite decent so far in pre season, maybe he can turn his career around under Ten Hag. AWB I see no future for in a system like the one ETH is implementing.

Revaulx

He's not really crossing so much, more just getting into good positions and playing a cut back from the byline, but more importantly to an actual player, not just blind. Our lofted crosses seem to be coming more from the corner of the box through Bruno/Sancho. For me it's clear that Ten Hag right away is pushing certain players to have the freedom to play those balls and the others to have more a repeatable structure/pattern that they can learn and perfect. How it should be!

Dalot is very good at progressing it up the pitch and he's been very encouraging for me with his Sancho link up. He might not be a top player, but he's a very decent player and I think he'll be fine as a starter this year.
His linkup with Sancho was really good. When was the last time we looked better on the right than the left?

It feels weird that he’s been at United a year longer than AWB.

Mcking

His linkup with Sancho was really good. When was the last time we looked better on the right than the left?

It feels weird that he’s been at United a year longer than AWB.
I'd say we wasted the chance to develop him by signing Wan-Bissaka when we already had him, but it is probably a blessing in disguise that he went out on loan and haven't been around our aimless squad management. He is pretty much on the right track now.

Revaulx

I'd say we wasted the chance to develop him by signing Wan-Bissaka when we already had him, but it is probably a blessing in disguise that he went out on loan and haven't been around our aimless squad management. He is pretty much on the right track now.
True. AWB’s failure to progress in the last three seasons is an awful indictment of our poor coaching as well.

RVN1991

Both are bang average at best and should be nowhere near the football club but if I had to chose, Dalot every day of the week, taller midget of the two.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
AWB had a lot of promise but it was if he improved going forward, he hasn't in 3 years, and he was a winger before so no real excuses.

I think it's 100% Dalot now, and if AWB isn't moved on this summer then he needs to improve massively attacking or be sold next summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.