Dan Ashworth - Newcastle DoF currently tending to his garden

Trophy Room

There really isn’t another club in the world where a director of football appointment will generate this much interest. Madness.

T00lsh3d

T00ly O' Sh3d
There really isn’t another club in the world where a director of football appointment will generate this much interest. Madness.
So what you’re saying is we’re one of, if not the worst run club around?

cpresc

There's not another club in the world who needs it more than us

Halftrack

I mean if there wasn’t any more reason to hate this fraud self-interested prick Murtough, well there you go. Didn’t Murtough also play a role in Nicky Butt leaving the club despite his contribution in helping rebuild the academy? Murtough is scum.
He's scum that you hate because he landed a job you wanted someone else to get?

AdamColeBebe

Supports
Man Utd
Impressive, when I see that level of detail reflected in our signings then will be excited
Not to use the tired Keane "that's his job" joke but...this is pretty much what I'd expect from a man whose job title is "director of football".

Crimson King

Except we all know what Fletchers job is because it’s well documented and been discussed lots.
Probably should have put nobody 'knew' as it wasn't well defined at the time, whereas now, yeah, we do know what he does.

Well done for picking up on the least important part of my post though, a true pedant.

ForeverRed1

If we get this guy that’s really really big and a huge statement of intent.

blanc, berrada and ashworth is no joke.

Gordon Godot

He's scum that you hate because he landed a job you wanted someone else to get?
If you cant appreciate how bad Murtough has been for the club and its signings? The amount of money he was wasted? He was also responsible for Butt leaving and seems to have alienated quite a few others. Just another Glazer stooge.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
It wouldn’t have at United either had it happened under Ferguson. This is what a decade of Woodward and Murtough does to people.

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24

• In what is an extraordinary situation, the sporting director was still scheduled to lead planning meetings with first-team scouts on Friday, despite Howe revealing Ashworth has not said he wants to stay at the club this week.
  • We understand Ashworth has an informal agreement with Man United and their incoming co-owners Ineos. He is now waiting for them to make an official approach and agree a compensation package with his current employers.
  • However, Howe is concerned that Ashworth’s knowledge of Newcastle’s inner workings, finances and summer targets has left the club in a vulnerable position. If he is going, the inference from the head coach was that he wants him out the door sooner rather than later.
  • Your concerns are relevant,’ said Howe when Ashworth’s access to club secrets was raised. ‘I don't know quite how much I can say on that, but I share your feelings.’
  • Yes, and that’s why I say he’s in a position of power, with a lot of intelligence and information,’ said Howe. ‘That’s why it’s a slightly unusual situation.
  • Has Ashworth said he wants to stay at St James’ Park this week?
  • ‘No,’ replied Howe. ‘Whatever happens, I think we want a quick resolution. It’s better for everybody if that’s the case.’
  • Howe also downplayed the impact on Newcastle of losing Ashworth, who has only been at the club for 20 months.
  • When you're in that role, I think you need longevity to actually see the fruits of your labour,’ he said. ‘It’s sort of a long-term position and I think the people who have done it best in the Premier League have always had a period of real stability, because change takes a long time at any football club to get those processes exactly how you want them to be.
  • Football always moves on very quickly, and I'd say that regarding the manager's position. Newcastle is a huge football club - it will continue to work in a very efficient way regardless of who is here. We've got some very, very capable people here in all departments, so we would carry on very smoothly. I’ve got no doubt the club will be successful in the future.’
  • There is a misconception that Ashworth is a talent-spotter. Rather, it is his job to oversee recruitment and negotiate deals. Player identification is done by a team of scouts as well as Howe and his inner circle. Arguably the best signings the club have made post-takeover came in the window before Ashworth’s arrival - Bruno Guimaraes and Kieran Trippier chief among them.

Licha-Vidic

Last Man Standing 2 finalist 2023/24
Very new detailed info..

Seems it's just a matter of time before Ashworth comes to United. Howe wouldn't talk in such way if it's not 95% sure he's leaving.

Halftrack

If you cant appreciate how bad Murtough has been for the club and its signings? The amount of money he was wasted? He was also responsible for Butt leaving and seems to have alienated quite a few others. Just another Glazer stooge.
Being critical of the job he did is a bit different than calling him scum and declaring hatred for him.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
Wouldn't Ashworth need to sign an NDA?

I imagine Barrada has too
NDA’s are a nonsense in this space. He can’t forget things. People in business move roles all the time and always cannibalise previous successes in their new roles.

With that said, if we want the fella, we should just pay whatever he costs and all move along.

Redivy

I don’t understand this “access to secrets” notion. At worst it’s a young player or two that Newcastle have identified, hardly something that the manager should even comment on.

diarm

I don’t understand this “access to secrets” notion. At worst it’s a young player or two that Newcastle have identified, hardly something that the manager should even comment on.
Maybe he’s worried that Ashworth knows where the Saudis have buried their suitcases.

CallyRed

Maybe City and Newcastle have asked Barrada and Ashworth to stare at a pen, Men in Black style

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
Also, it’s highly likely we already know about the players that Newcastle do.

Teja

Eh we've seen enough of these even when Moyes was getting signed. I think overstating standard business practices as something just an exceptional guy like Ashworth does is mostly clickbait.

Why does he have this data on the laptop in the first place? Even if he has the data I'm sure he can't just take the laptop to Man Utd and say here you go. The data was probably acquired because Newcastle paid various middlemen for it. To round it all off, I'm sure United has troves of data on many many players as well.

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Eh we've seen enough of these even when Moyes was getting signed. I think overstating standard business practices as something just an exceptional guy like Ashworth does is mostly clickbait.

Why does he have this data on the laptop in the first place? Even if he has the data I'm sure he can't just take the laptop to Man Utd and say here you go. The data was probably acquired because Newcastle paid various middlemen for it. To round it all off, I'm sure United has troves of data on many many players as well.
I’m fairly sure the article is hinting more at his work ethos, methodology and attention to detail, rather than the value of his laptop.

Otherwise a good old fashioned heist would do the job.

A potential Guy Ritchie flick produced by Netflix, where John Murtough (played by Cary Elwes) gets a rag tag bunch of Manchester United misfits to steal Dan Ashworths laptop in order to save all their jobs. A team made up of a broody Frenchman (Martial), an old school no nonsense Scotsman (McTominay), an over the hill Englishman (Maguire), a working class, hip gangsta wannabe (Sancho), and a hapless tag along Dutchman (Donny Van der Beek), all accompanied by a wise cracking hottie, rolling her eyes at their incompetent attempts at espionage (Rachel Riley). In their desperation to navigate the world of “Big Football” and get inside the mind of the football executive, they seek out the guidance of a former “top operator” now on the outside; Ed Woodward (played by Tobey Jones).

Last edited:

diarm

Who did Ashworth sign at Newcastle that is an amazing signing?
If you're asking who came in under the structure he helped implement, it depends on how much input you think he had while on gardening leave.

They signed Bruno Guimaeres shortly before he was announced but I believe Trippier, Isak, Gordon and Botman all came in afterwards. There has also been a lot of positive talk at Newcastle about the systems he's put in place behind the scenes - which is his actual job rather than scouting players.

To be honest, I think the structures he put in place at West Brom, England and Brighton over longer periods of time are a better indicator than the 12 months he spent at Newcastle anyway.

Grande

I’m fairly sure the article is hinting more at his work ethos, methodology and attention to detail, rather than the value of his laptop.

Otherwise a good old fashioned heist would do the job.

A potential Guy Ritchie flick produced by Netflix, where John Murtough (played by Cary Elwes) gets a rag tag bunch of Manchester United misfits to steal Dan Ashworths laptop in order to save all their jobs. A team made up of a broody Frenchman (Martial), an old school no nonsense Scotsman (McTominay), an over the hill Englishman (Maguire), a working class, hip gangsta wannabe (Sancho), and a hapless tag along Dutchman (Donny Van der Beek), all accompanied by a wise cracking hottie, rolling her eyes at their incompetent attempts at espionage (Rachel Riley). In their desperation to navigate the world of “Big Football” and get inside the mind of the football executive, they seek out the guidance of a former “top operator” now on the outside; Ed Woodward (played by Tobey Jones).
I’d watch that (on a very slow night)

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout

• In what is an extraordinary situation, the sporting director was still scheduled to lead planning meetings with first-team scouts on Friday, despite Howe revealing Ashworth has not said he wants to stay at the club this week.
  • We understand Ashworth has an informal agreement with Man United and their incoming co-owners Ineos. He is now waiting for them to make an official approach and agree a compensation package with his current employers.
  • However, Howe is concerned that Ashworth’s knowledge of Newcastle’s inner workings, finances and summer targets has left the club in a vulnerable position. If he is going, the inference from the head coach was that he wants him out the door sooner rather than later.
  • Your concerns are relevant,’ said Howe when Ashworth’s access to club secrets was raised. ‘I don't know quite how much I can say on that, but I share your feelings.’
  • Yes, and that’s why I say he’s in a position of power, with a lot of intelligence and information,’ said Howe. ‘That’s why it’s a slightly unusual situation.
  • Has Ashworth said he wants to stay at St James’ Park this week?
  • ‘No,’ replied Howe. ‘Whatever happens, I think we want a quick resolution. It’s better for everybody if that’s the case.’
  • Howe also downplayed the impact on Newcastle of losing Ashworth, who has only been at the club for 20 months.
  • When you're in that role, I think you need longevity to actually see the fruits of your labour,’ he said. ‘It’s sort of a long-term position and I think the people who have done it best in the Premier League have always had a period of real stability, because change takes a long time at any football club to get those processes exactly how you want them to be.
  • Football always moves on very quickly, and I'd say that regarding the manager's position. Newcastle is a huge football club - it will continue to work in a very efficient way regardless of who is here. We've got some very, very capable people here in all departments, so we would carry on very smoothly. I’ve got no doubt the club will be successful in the future.’
  • There is a misconception that Ashworth is a talent-spotter. Rather, it is his job to oversee recruitment and negotiate deals. Player identification is done by a team of scouts as well as Howe and his inner circle. Arguably the best signings the club have made post-takeover came in the window before Ashworth’s arrival - Bruno Guimaraes and Kieran Trippier chief among them.
I can't wait until Ashworth comes here and reveals all the secrets about a club that have won.....oh wait, they've won feck all for years.

Get tae feck. "Secrets". OooOOooOohhh. What fecking secrets? That they're planning to cook the books? That Brown Ale isn't as great as Geordies say it is? That Mike Ashley should've finished the job and turned their stadium into one big Sports Direct?

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
What secrets can we possibly steal from Newcastle, a century of finishing 17th?

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
How do you think they managed to get top4 after Bruce had them close to relegation? The neckless wonder is a good manager but he isn’t Prime Ferguson.
I'd say that was more on Howe than anybody else. I doubt Ashworths appointment had much effect on what happened on the pitch last season. I suspect these sort of appointments take time to have a positive effect, especially when restructuring etc.

TheReligion

Abusive
I'd say that was more on Howe than anybody else. I doubt Ashworths appointment had much effect on what happened on the pitch last season. I suspect these sort of appointments take time to have a positive effect, especially when restructuring etc.
Haven’t they signed Tonali, Isaak, Liveramento, Barnes, Botman and Gordon under Ashworth? Plenty of other younger players too which are for development.

Not a bad bunch though?

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I think having Pope, Guimares, Isak and Botman plus Wilson staying fit did a lot more to their quality. They added Gordon mid season, which was a nice shot in the arm as well.