Dan Ashworth - Newcastle DoF currently tending to his garden

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
I thought employees other than players at a club were just employees? Not contract based? If he wants to resign it’s up to him? Am I missing something here? If he quit Newcastle they stop paying him. End of it?
It's quite normal to have contracts that stipulate you can't work for a competitor within e.g. six months of leaving your position in all sorts of sectors, so it's no surprise it's the same in football. It's basically so you can't have someone getting the inside knowledge of new research etc. and then immediately "selling" that knowledge to someone else.

Vidooq

I really wonder how hard of a job this would be for Dan Ashforth in terms of transfer fees and how long it will take to take the burden of United being the rich kid on the block without brains. Coming into a club that has built a pristine reputation for overpaying for players. I'm really curious to see how many agents will say, come on, we know you have the money, this is the United price tag, and this is after United extensively tracks and identifies a player per profile and charachter. Where I do hope he can make an instant impact is wages, as this needs to stop as soon as possible, where we need to stop giving 300k contracts to everyone, and bringing on players on anything above 200k for starters as initial contracts.

cyberman

This is a great analogy. After 20 odd years of enraging them with our success, we've given them a decade of comedy (albeit still winning more trophies in that decade than most of other clubs put together), and at the back of their minds is a fear that one day we might go back to being great again.

I noticed yesterday how desperate they were on sky for Luton to get it to 2-2 so the comedy could continue.
What went under the radar was Sky showing replays of the clearance for the first goal as they did during our Villa win with their offside 5 minutes before the goal nonsense.
They showed it long after the goal so it’s clear they were told to find some sort of talking point to discredit the goal. Even Gary said they were trying to say the referee got in Luton’s way (he would have had to blow up for a drop ball if he had) and credit to him he shut it down straight away.
It’s so obvious what they’re trying to do.

GDaly95

Says he's one of the best posters
Seems to me that paying £15/20m isn't all that much if we think the guy will be absolutely fundamental to overhauling the club for years to come. And if we believe he'll be pivotal in targeting top players for lower fees than we've been paying before, and probably getting more on sales.

I don't really understand why that level of compensation is seen as some sort of criminal, unpayable amount of money.

Castia

Daft bastards have back themselves into a corner. They could ask for 100m if they want but they still need to replace Ashworth and the club who they approach will know they've just received 100m and would rightly ask for the same fee

sugar_kane

Seems to me that paying £15/20m isn't all that much if we think the guy will be absolutely fundamental to overhauling the club for years to come. And if we believe he'll be pivotal in targeting top players for lower fees than we've been paying before, and probably getting more on sales.

I don't really understand why that level of compensation is seen as some sort of criminal, unpayable amount of money.
It’s probably just cos it’s unprecedented for this type of role

But that aside, just paying up whatever we’re asked has been our problem for years. We have to do the negotiation dance - as long as we don’t lose our man, which we won’t since he’s essentially handed in a “transfer request”

I do however agree that getting the right DoF is worth multiples or £10m so there wouldn’t be any issues on return on investment. We just can’t be seen to pay it without negotiating hard, it’s just business innit.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget

If he's as good as we think he is then it's a small price to pay. It will pay for itself multiple times over...

People are just uncomfortable because it seems a lot for a staff member.

I hope the fee includes his laptop :wenger:

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
If he's as good as we think he is then it's a small price to pay. It will pay for itself multiple times over...

People are just uncomfortable because it seems a lot for a staff member.

I hope the fee includes his laptop :wenger:
It's that same thinking that leads to us overpaying for everything. We do that and we say to the world that we haven't changed and perception is everything when it comes down to agents etc

I would rather we sort out something behind the scenes quietly that see's compromise on both sides.

Berbaclass

Fallen Muppet. Lest we never forget
This guy is a tool. Obvious Newcastle fanboy

Why would we pay them anything and have him start in a year? The whole point of compensation is to negate the waiting time :rolleyes: :houllier:

Semper Fudge

Adds nothing to the discussion
Would have thought Ashworth would have been given assurances by us that we'd do everything we could to make sure he's able to join, if not straight away, then relatively soon. Who wants to sit out two years of their career?
On full pay? Sounds great to me.

UTAretro

Supports
Brighton
Probably because Brighton had buyout clauses on all their staff contracts. There's no suggestion Newcastle have done that and there's no desire for United to pay the silly money Cheslea were willing to either. You can't just say someone is worth £20m and not have a £20m buyout clause.

Magical thinking is believing a staff contract is worth north of £20m when you don't have anything other to back it up than "we value it at that price". Take that to the free market, see how far it gets you.
Well… you can though. That’s the whole point. Let’s say a buyer wants one specific product. The buyer doesn’t get to decide what price is “fair market value” for that product. The seller does, because they are in possession of the asset the buyer wants. There has to be an agreement from all three parties in order to proceed, which there will be eventually once the lawyers have made their packet and thrashed this thing out in the coming months.

I was directly quoting you: “It will be £2m in the end.” - no, it will be considerably more.

There’s not a single scenario where a non playing member of staff is worth more than their contract.”

There are lots of proven scenarios, including for this very same individual (let alone the dozens of manager transfers which involve compensation each season) where compensation means exactly that. The club losing their manager is financially compensated for the loss of their contracted asset. Non-playing staff are constantly being acquired for more than the remaining value of their contract. Just the same as footballers.

You may not like it in this case because it works against your club, but it has been the case for decades.

UTAretro

Supports
Brighton
Pretty sure there's a limit to how long gardening leave can be. You can't just put someone on it for life and keep paying them not to work. Also, gardening leave is where you get paid to not show up to work, if you get a new job the gardening leave stops and you're now employed by someone else. It's not some sort of golden handcuff situation.
Once again, I’m not meaning to pick on you personally, it’s just your posts are so factually wrong and coming at it solely from a Manchester United viewpoint with no understanding of how it actually works.

Two parties agree a contract of a certain length. If either party terminates that contract early, they are liable to pay compensation to the other party for their loss of earnings and/or use of their service for the contracted period. By placing Ashworth on gardening leave, they are saying his job is now untenable due to his demand to leave. Newcastle United absolutely can keep him on gardening leave for the remainder of his contract. He’s under contract. He wants to break that contract. Newcastle want to be compensated for him breaking that contract, in the same way he’d want to be compensated if Newcastle replaced him.

What will happen is the lawyers will thrash this out in the coming months and a settlement figure will be reached.

Bertie Wooster

Newcastle seem to be incensed by us doing the exact same to them as they did to Brighton 2 years ago to get Ashworth in the first place. And the same as most teams do to each other on a regular basis to take players, managers, other roles, etc.

It's certainly very different to the sudden way we were able to announce getting Omar Berrada from City. All that negotiating must have been done quietly and privately, as the announcement caught everyone by surprise. This one's being speculated on at every instance.

Certainly don't think any other sporting or technical director moving from one club to another would have generated this level of media attention - it's as if we're signing Kane or Haaland!

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Their journalists are losing the plot over this, it's like we're dealing with a Championship team :lol:

CallyRed

I'm sure they dealt with Brighton immaculately when they nabbed him initially.

UTAretro

Supports
Brighton
I'm sure they dealt with Brighton immaculately when they nabbed him initially.
He was on gardening leave for almost a full year while the clubs negotiated.

Dan Ashworth has commenced his role as Newcastle United’s sporting director after the club received formal Premier League approval for his move from Brighton & Hove Albion.

The club announced on Monday 30 May that an agreement had been reached to formally release Ashworth from his contractual duties as Brighton & Hove Albion’s technical director and complete a move to the Magpies.”

It took ten months, not a year.

Telsim

When they did it to Brighton, it was all fair and square recruitment. But now it's bad Manchester United doing to poor, little Newcastle. Yeah, my heart breaks for the richest club on the planet, truly. If this is how we are going to be doing our business under the INEOS regime, then I very much approve.

Gordon S

Getting more and more interested what could possible be on that computer?

RuudTom83

All this drama over Ashworth when United are still gonna end up bidding for FDJ and De Ligt in the summer :drool:

GJNJ

Strange behaviour reporting on his laptop being blocked, very child like. Like it would be impossible for him to remove/remember the info he needs.

Last edited: