Dan Ashworth - Newcastle DoF currently tending to his garden

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
As he said, it is not lawful to have such a long gardening leave period. But to go to court might take longer

Teja

The Geordie fan base are an odd lot aren't they. They think he's shite yet haven't stopped crying on social media.
They think they're part of the big boys now that they're owned by Saudi money and haven't come to terms with the fact that most people would view United as the bigger club. Given a long enough time and incompetent enough leadership (at United) that may still become true but just imagining they're as big as United right now is sheer delusion.

redNATION

The idea they think they can legally put someone on leave for 2 years is nonsensical.
He’s getting paid his full salary during this time, there’s incentive on both sides to negotiate something. Employees rarely litigate covenants as it can affect future career opportunities and most clubs will have something similar in their contracts anyway.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
He’s getting paid his full salary during this time, there’s incentive on both sides to negotiate something. Employees rarely litigate covenants as it can affect future career opportunities and most clubs will have something similar in their contracts anyway.
If he wants to seek employment elsewhere he can take them to court, surely? Can't hold somebody in position if they want to leave. Or can they?

It will get settled before that I'm sure.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
You'll pay up. It's just a question of how much. This is just about saving face now on both sides now.
I don't think there's much wrong with them demanding a fee, I'd assume that's normal practice? But £20m is ridiculous

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
I don't think there's much wrong with them demanding a fee, I'd assume that's normal practice? But £20m is ridiculous
Of course it is but there's no way they're actually expecting that. It'll be about 5. That way Man United can spin it that they've negotiated down from 20 and Newcastle get a sum they probably wanted in the first place.

Loon

:lol:
Ratcliffe has said he's not sitting on his arse for 18 months. Even if it goes to court, this will be sorted.

AndySmith1990

If City can cheat the entire football system for a decade, I'm sure Ratcliffe can get around the issue of Dan Ashworths gardening leave by inviting him over for a bbq and having an unofficial chat about United

C'est Moi Cantona

Let them stick him on gardening leave for 2 years, it'll be them missing out on a decent pay off, and left paying two sporting directors, plus they'll have to pay some kind private detective to make sure he's not advising us in between tending to his Geraniums.

There'll no doubt be some sort face saving compromise before the summer.

Lemoor

You'll pay up. It's just a question of how much. This is just about saving face now on both sides now.
Obviously. This is an "issue" that is purely driven by online outrage merchants. Clubs will settle after a bit of posturing on social media.

unplayable

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
I mean, it's billionaires buying things from other billionaires. Who knows!

I reckon 5 gets it done though.
I don't think 5m will get us very far. Isn't that basically what they paid for him themselves and still had to wait several months?

Gandalf

What would be deemed 'fair'? £5m?
I don't know of too many similar situations so I can't comment on the level of compensation that would be normal, clearly he is earning a fairly nice salary and so offloading that and receiving something like 5M would be a win for them in terms of Profit and Sustainability. Considering that they were as strapped as us in the last window to the extent that they could not buy and were seriously contemplating selling one of their key players it would seem to be petty to the point of self-sabotage to not accept a reasonable offer.

Tsunami

Supports
Newcastle
Pretty sure we paid Brighton 5M with a 6 month Gardening Leave period. His stock has gone up, you clearly want him, he has a 20 month period written into his contract. All in all 20M sounds about right.

I very much doubt that the contract is such that he gets paid for the 20 month Gardening Leave, he’ll have a notice period and a separate period that he can’t work for. Anyone thinking he can do a bit on the side is having a bit of a laugh. If he gets caught it’ll end up in the courts.

Ratcliffe has gone about this completely the wrong way, clearly used to getting his own way and forgetting his audience.

Just seen Ratcliffe’s comments on Greenwood. The man is an entitled prick is my early impression.

SirAF

Ageist
Anyone thinking he can do a bit on the side is having a bit of a laugh. If he gets caught it’ll end up in the courts.
How do you suggest that is going to be policed? It's 100% impossible to prove: Berrada, ETH etc go on a sunday visit to Ashworth's place. No electronic communication. Go ahead chief.

Last edited:

mu4c_20le

Pretty sure we paid Brighton 5M with a 6 month Gardening Leave period. His stock has gone up, you clearly want him, he has a 20 month period written into his contract. All in all 20M sounds about right.

I very much doubt that the contract is such that he gets paid for the 20 month Gardening Leave, he’ll have a notice period and a separate period that he can’t work for. Anyone thinking he can do a bit on the side is having a bit of a laugh. If he gets caught it’ll end up in the courts.

Ratcliffe has gone about this completely the wrong way, clearly used to getting his own way and forgetting his audience.

Just seen Ratcliffe’s comments on Greenwood. The man is an entitled prick is my early impression.
Pretty sure you came to that conclusion well before you got to the Greenwood comments. In which were no way controversial, perfectly fair and neutral and what you'd expect someone from his position to say.

The 'grown up' jibe however, now that's a different story. And he still has a point. This is what I meant earlier when I said this makes Newcastle look small time.

padzilla

Hipster

Cry harder

Tsunami

Supports
Newcastle
Hey, I’ve no problem with Ashworth wanting to go, I can fully understand it. Trying to slant it as small time in a less than veiled attempt to bargain down the terms of the release is a bit embarrassing tbh. It’s very much I’m Jim Radcliffe and we’re Man Utd now do as we want. We hold the stronger hand here and I’m sure a settlement will be reached. Ratcliffe’s comments haven’t helped.

If Ashworth decides to do a bit on the side, let him crack on. I’d expect punitive damages if he gets caught out making it not worth the risk. Ashworth was nowhere near us during his Gardening Leave from Brighton.

TheReligion

Abusive
Hey, I’ve no problem with Ashworth wanting to go, I can fully understand it. Trying to slant it as small time in a less than veiled attempt to bargain down the terms of the release is a bit embarrassing tbh. It’s very much I’m Jim Radcliffe and we’re Man Utd now do as we want. We hold the stronger hand here and I’m sure a settlement will be reached. Ratcliffe’s comments haven’t helped.

If Ashworth decides to do a bit on the side, let him crack on. I’d expect punitive damages if he gets caught out making it not worth the risk. Ashworth was nowhere near us during his Gardening Leave from Brighton.
Not really embarrassing. Just telling you straight.

Ashworth will be coming to United now or later. Deal with it.

pascell

I think what he's trying to say is that as long as he's on gardening leave and Newcastle are paying him, it does all 3 parties no good, as Newcastle still have to find a new DoF/Sporting Director to replace him. You could end up paying their wages on top of Ashworths too, which makes it a worse deal. I get the feeling SJR was told £15-20m in compensation plus 20 months gardening leave, with no negotiations being entertained.

I'd expect an amicable solution is found sooner rather than later though and we'll probably pay £12m with 12 months gardening leave.

mu4c_20le

:keano:

We're the ones trying to do a deal. You're acting like what I would expect from Brighton, when one day they decide they will no longer be pushed around by the big dogs and dig in their heels. We all know he's going to come, why act like a child about it. Even City aren't like this ffs, and we used to make fun of them.

AneRu

:keano:

We're the ones trying to do a deal. You're acting like what I would expect from Brighton, when one day they decide they will no longer be pushed around by the big dogs. We all know he's going to come, why act like a child about it. Even City aren't like this ffs, and we used to make fun of them.
They come across as being spiteful and want to punish him for choosing to move on. If he signed a contract at the relegation threatened Newcastle that would put him in the garden for such a long time he was incredibly naive.

I liked Sir Jim throwing in bits about the Law and showing another avenue they could use if Newcastle continue being childish about this. I am sure any sane judge would find that clause ridiculous. It's fair that he sits out this summer window but there is no need to make it one year or beyond, it's nonsensical because transfer plans evolve after each window.

Drainy

They come across as being spiteful and want to punish him for choosing to move on. If he signed a contract at the relegation threatened Newcastle that would put him in the garden for such a long time he was incredibly naive.

I liked Sir Jim throwing in bits about the Law and showing another avenue they could use if Newcastle continue being childish about this. I am sure any sane judge would find that clause ridiculous. It's fair that he sits out this summer window but there is no need to make it one year or beyond, it's nonsensical because transfer plans evolve after each window.
It's been quite some time since uni but I remember learning about gardening leave only being allowed up to a reasonable amount to avoid trade secrets and clients being stolen, but extended periods that could potentially damage the skills and expertise of the employee are not valid. It's possible Newcastle get nothing if they risk it

Tsunami

Supports
Newcastle
Everyone knows he’s leaving, I don’t know anyone who has a justifiable reason to object to his decision. You’re not looking to do a deal, you’re looking to avoid paying the going rate. He’s got 20 months to sit in his garden under the terms of his contract, he’ll get paid his notice period, which will not be anywhere near 20 months. He might get paid for 6 months and then have 14 months before he starts for you.

I don’t personally think that’s good for anyone but, the balls in your court for that one. We’ll have already started the process looking for a replacement and are likely to face a smaller scale situation based on the contract of the candidate we go for.

redcucumber

That wee club in the Northeast again. It completely tracks that a team who's sudden relevance is entirely thanks to blood/petro money would act like this, to be fair. Hollow and nothing club nowadays.

Maagge

enjoys sex, doesn't enjoy women not into ONS
Everyone knows he’s leaving, I don’t know anyone who has a justifiable reason to object to his decision. You’re not looking to do a deal, you’re looking to avoid paying the going rate. He’s got 20 months to sit in his garden under the terms of his contract, he’ll get paid his notice period, which will not be anywhere near 20 months. He might get paid for 6 months and then have 14 months before he starts for you.

I don’t personally think that’s good for anyone but, the balls in your court for that one. We’ll have already started the process looking for a replacement and are likely to face a smaller scale situation based on the contract of the candidate we go for.
Nah, I can't believe there's a contract that says he can't work for anyone and that he's also not getting paid. Pick one or the other.

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"

Where’d you get that from?

Would seem unlikely under employment law that your employer can put you on gardening leave (that was Newcastles decision) for almost two years, stop you from working for someone else but not pay you for that period?

What’s your source? Ornstein? Whitwell? Jim White?

Trophy Room

It is very small time. Let’s not pretend it’s anything else. Ratcliffe is spot on.