Dan Ashworth - Newcastle DoF currently tending to his garden

CM

He hates FFP, he sees it as the historically big clubs here and in Europe trying to suppress the ambitions of plucky underdogs like Saudi Arabia, Abu Dhabi and Roman Abramovich so they can have it all their own way, and therefore roots for the likes of Newcastle, City and Chelsea to stick it to clubs like United whenever they can. Including by somehow asking for £60m for a director of football whose influence is apparently somewhat limited at Newcastle.

He has a point that it's probably unfair that we've managed to remain a top 6/7 club for the last decade despite being completely incompetent, the reality is a club that has got so many things wrong should face bigger jeopardy than maybe finishing 8th or 9th one year, but his solution of just letting nation states or oligarchs do whatever they like to shake up the status-quo is insane and would only make things less competitive.
That's part of the parcel of being a top club with stature. Remaining a top 6 club is still a massive fall from grace in the context of what United were a decade ago, I'm not really sure what's unfair about that. The incompetence is reflected in the lack of trophies and the amount of money that has been burned by bad recruitment.

FFP is hardly doing its job if that's what he thinks the purpose of it is anyway. Chelsea and City's successes were formed on being able to spend more than anyone else during their periods at the top, and Newcastle got Champions League football in the first full season they had Saudi money.

prateik

And I thought The Times had some quality control..
This is the shit I would expect from the Daily Mail or Express.

Lemoor

Useless writer :lol:
He worked extremely hard to stretch a drunk daily mail comment into 1000 words while also not saying anything substantial.
He has a point that it's probably unfair that we've managed to remain a top 6/7 club for the last decade despite being completely incompetent, the reality is a club that has got so many things wrong should face bigger jeopardy than maybe finishing 8th or 9th one year, but his solution of just letting nation states or oligarchs do whatever they like to shake up the status-quo is insane and would only make things less competitive.
He's not really making that point anywhere here though (or at least I can't find it)? That would be a lot better than anything he spewed there.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Guessing a couple of million and starts in the summer or sooner.

thegregster

Harbinger of new information
This is a done deal. He wouldn't have asked to leave without being assurances from INEOS.

Leftback99

£20m :lol:. Let them pay him for 2 years for doing nothing if true.

strandty

2026? How is that legal?
Basically saying he has a two year notice period? Yeah, don’t believe that.

Probably a ploy for Newcastle to try come out of it looking better than just rolling over in the press.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
£20m :lol:. Let them pay him for 2 years for doing nothing if true.
They have limitless wallets, paying him for 2 years wont affect their FFP right? And he'd be on gardening leave too, so I dont know how they lose in this.

Leftback99

They have limitless wallets, paying him for 2 years wont affect their FFP right? And he'd be on gardening leave too, so I dont know how they lose in this.
They'd be paying him and they'd need a replacement. We won't be paying an unprecidented £20m directly impacting our own dire FFP position.