5.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Marwood

That's all well and good but he is an attacking player. When we start highlighting his defensive contributions in a match we won 5-1 straws are being clutched at.

I don't expect he'll feature much the rest of the season and I'd prefer his minutes go to players who might have a future here.
Yeah I agree with you but I'm making that point to guys who think he contributes zero when he's on the pitch. It's a bit much.

Gandalf

That's all well and good but he is an attacking player. When we start highlighting his defensive contributions in a match we won 5-1 straws are being clutched at.

I don't expect he'll feature much the rest of the season and I'd prefer his minutes go to players who might have a future here.
Minutes becomes the operative word and that is where the clubs strategy for loans this season plays a part in all of this. I like Dan, being Welsh it is practically required, but I am not daft enough to think he is better than Elanga or Amad are likely to be in the not too distant future. The issue is one of how many minutes is he potentially going to get? In a weaker squad last year his playing time was significantly reduced from his first season and I would hazard a guess that with Sancho here he is most likely to be Carabao cup or 5 minutes at the end of a game fodder for the rest of the season. It is not glamarous but someone has to do it and if we sell Lingard then it is James or one of the youngsters so then you have to ask yourself if a couple of games in the Carabao and the odd few minutes every 4th or 5th league game is actually good for the development of the younger lads? I would say no and they will be better off on a loan this year, when we are debating if Rashford gets back in the side when he is fit there is clearly not a lot of room to let the youngsters get meaningful time. In the circumstances holding on to James for this season makes sense.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
Yeah I agree with you but I'm making that point to guys who think he contributes zero when he's on the pitch. It's a bit much.
Fair enough.

Minutes becomes the operative word and that is where the clubs strategy for loans this season plays a part in all of this. I like Dan, being Welsh it is practically required, but I am not daft enough to think he is better than Elanga or Amad are likely to be in the not too distant future. The issue is one of how many minutes is he potentially going to get? In a weaker squad last year his playing time was significantly reduced from his first season and I would hazard a guess that with Sancho here he is most likely to be Carabao cup or 5 minutes at the end of a game fodder for the rest of the season. It is not glamarous but someone has to do it and if we sell Lingard then it is James or one of the youngsters so then you have to ask yourself if a couple of games in the Carabao and the odd few minutes every 4th or 5th league game is actually good for the development of the younger lads? I would say no and they will be better off on a loan this year, when we are debating if Rashford gets back in the side when he is fit there is clearly not a lot of room to let the youngsters get meaningful time. In the circumstances holding on to James for this season makes sense.
Yeah, not calling for him to be sold this summer but I can't see him sticking around after this season. He's not going to play if everyone is fit.

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Who are they? Do you understand the circumstances why he was bought at the time at all? Of cours he's good enough for Giggses Wales. You better look at their squad.
I got told he offers nothing, yet he gets picked for his country, strange...

Grande

No it isn't. The stat is silly. Him coming on 2 minutes against PSG isn't why we won. And him not being in the squad for the other PSG game isn't why we lost. Look up the actual games in which he played. Manutd doesn't lose many games. About 10 or so last season. Nice sample size.

This is like saying VDB was involved in 80% of our losses! This stat is actually true, but him coming on for 2 minutes in a few lost games, means feck all.

How about we're so good, we can actually win games despite having a winger that's only made one decisive goal in 1700mins?
Seeing as we’re actually winning less games, by less goals, when we have wingers who score more often, no, we’re not that good. Unless the idea is that the other players lift their performance to compensate when we haveDanny on tje pitch, in witch case it would be a deft and functioning tactic!

I think some of you would like to ignore what James brings to the team altogether to portray him as way out of his depth. The truth is he’s played his part both in routs against Leeds and Southampton as well as in tight games against City and Chelsea, and we’ve not been significantly weakened.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag

His decision making is the main problem. He's making too many poor decision making and decision making in final third is not something you can coach easily at his age now. It's either a gift or you develop them from a kid.

I still remember this moment, he had zero reason to shoot from that angle and if he's a winger, his natural instinct should tell you not to shoot but looking to pass or cross from that angle. So I wouldn't blame McTominay and Greenwood reaction.

Although, he has very good attitude as a footballer, which is why Ole likes him. On top of that, he's on very low wages.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Why should his wages factor into anything performance related?
Because player is being paid to perform. For example, I expect top class level performance from someone like Martial who is on 250k p/w while I expect a backup level performance from someone like James who is only on 45k p/w.

United in sin

Because player is being paid to perform. For example, I expect top class level performance from someone like Martial who is on 250k p/w while I expect a backup level performance from someone like James who is only on 45k p/w.
Sadly this is how many think, because its not the first time his wages have been mentioned as a plus. Perhaps there's nothing else to add about what he brings
to the table.

Daniel James began his OT career as a starter after his debut off the bench against Chelsea. He should be judged like anyone else who puts on that red shirt

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Sadly this is how many think, because its not the first time his wages have been mentioned as a plus. Perhaps there's nothing else to add about what he brings
to the table.

Daniel James began his OT career as a starter after his debut off the bench against Chelsea. He should be judged like anyone else who puts on that red shirt
Would you judge Park Ji Sung the same way as Ronaldo then? I wouldn't and I know what Park's role in the team and what Ronaldo's role in the team and I know player's limitation. James in the squad is just a backup player and put a competition for players who are underperforming or being lazy in training. The wages reflect to it and if he can go beyond, good on him and us.

United in sin

Would you judge Park Ji Sung the same way as Ronaldo then? I wouldn't and I know what Park's role in the team and what Ronaldo's role in the team and I know player's limitation. James in the squad is just a backup player and put a competition for players who are slagging off. The wages reflect to it and if he can go beyond, good on him and us.
Star player, squad player, whatever player. Yes they have different abilities and roles, but the equalizer here is the weight of expectation of playing for united that no player is immune from.

A squad player at this club must be better than a squad player at lesser clubs. The standards are higher/should be. James is on 50k, that's not cheap, a plethora of arguably better players are on much less in the PL.

A squad player is expected to perform to a standard that befits Uniteds levels. Park wasn't comparable to Ronaldo in terms of individual quality but he contributed in ways that went even beyond what one night have expected based on his talent.

O'Shea and Nicky Butt were trustworthy squad players as well who contributed accordingly. James is not anywhere close to them but he should be held to those standards no matter what the club pays him

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Star player, squad player, whatever player. Yes they have different abilities and roles, but the equalizer here is the weight of expectation of playing for united that no player is immune from.

A squad player at this club must be better than a squad player at lesser clubs. The standards are higher/should be. James is on 50k, that's not cheap, a plethora of arguably better players are on much less in the PL.

A squad player is expected to perform to a standard that befits Uniteds levels. Park wasn't comparable to Ronaldo in terms of individual quality but he contributed in ways that went even beyond what one night have expected based on his talent.

O'Shea and Nicky Butt were trustworthy squad players as well who contributed accordingly. James is not anywhere close to them but he should be held to those standards no matter what the club pays him
The reason why he played as starting XI in a team that just won 5-1 in the weekend is because he held to those standards. Someone you expect to give you 6/10 in that match which he did in that match because it seems red cafe posters are on the same page as his overall rating is 5.7/10. Not the same standard we are expecting from 250k p/w player.

United in sin

The reason why he played as starting XI in a team that just won 5-1 in the weekend is because he held to those standards. Someone you expect to give you 6/10 in that match which he did in that match because it seems red cafe posters are on the same page as his overall rating is 5.7/10. Not the same standard we are expecting from 250k p/w player.
I'm sorry but this doesn't compute with me. When have 6/10 performances ever been considered acceptable for anyone who plays for united as a standard? It's no wonder we've become a club that rewards mediocrity over the last 8 or so years. Now we have a portion of the fanbase accepting it as the norm.

We blasted past Leeds in spite of James who was the weakest link. Why should we accept that? Will you go into a match against Liverpool with James starting and expecting a 'standard' 6/10 from him before he even kicks a ball, and be ok with it because he's on low wages and not a regular starter?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
I'm sorry but this doesn't compute with me. When have 6/10 performances ever been considered acceptable for anyone who plays for united as a standard? It's no wonder we've become a club that rewards mediocrity over the last 8 or so years. Now we have a portion of the fanbase accepting it as the norm.

We blasted past Leeds in spite of James who was the weakest link. Why should we accept that? Will you go into a match against Liverpool with James starting and expecting a 'standard' 6/10 from him before he even kicks a ball, and be ok with it because he's on low wages and not a regular starter?
It doesn't compute with you because you have set your mind in this discussion to be against the idea of James being our backup player. If you expect 7/10 and 8/10 performance then you expect it from someone who is not backup but to someone like Fred & Matic who are getting paid around 100k p/w plus and their role are supposed to be rotation player. 6/10 for United standard is basically 7/10 or 8/10 for lesser team standard, that shows you James is better than backup or squad player at lesser clubs.

Last edited:

United in sin

It doesn't compute with you because you have set your mind in this discussion to be against the idea of James being our backup player. If you expect 7/10 and 8/10 performance then you expect it from someone who is not backup but to someone like Fred & Matic who are getting paid around 100k p/w plus and their role are supposed to be rotation player. 6/10 for United standard is basically 7/10 or 8/10 for lesser team standard, that shows you James is better than backup or squad player at lesser clubs.
It shows me nothing really. The last part of your post is merely some bizarre metric you've devised on your own that isn't based on anything factual. Playing for united doesn't automatically make James better than squad players at lowly clubs.

James was abysmal against Leeds but you feel he was rated correctly at 5.7. In your mind that was a perfectly acceptable performance from him and I find that puzzling

yamo123x

Whether James is good enough or not is open to debate, but clearly Ole likes him.

Some pointless almost personal arguments on here to be fair

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Seeing as we’re actually winning less games, by less goals, when we have wingers who score more often, no, we’re not that good. Unless the idea is that the other players lift their performance to compensate when we haveDanny on tje pitch, in witch case it would be a deft and functioning tactic!
Oh yeah yeah, let's include the games where James came on for 10 minutes and scored the 5:2 or 8:0, to get a very representative stat of James' contribution.
Thanks for proving my point.

And to reiterate, we are very good, meaning we only lost 10 games or so last season, so any stat of a fringe player not involved in those losses being representative of how good/important/useful he is nonsense. 10 games is not a good sample size!, let alone when the likelihood of a fringe player (~1700min) not participating in at least half of those is very high. The stat isn't even accurate, Villareal was a loss.

Whether James is good enough or not is open to debate, but clearly Ole likes him.

I don't think this is true. James was left out of the squad plenty last season, he only came in after Greenwood had a very poor first half of the season. Against Leeds, Rashford wasn't available and Sancho, Martial not 100% ready. Ole rates James more than one of the kids or Lingard/Mata. But the line that he's one of Ole's favorites is nonsense. James wouldn't get a look in if Rashford/Greenwood/Sancho/Pogba/Martial/Cavani are available/in form.

Morpheus 7

Jaimes is a limited player not near the level, he stands out so bad. He can't hold a simple line and it's offside constantly, finishing tame at best, delivery is brutal and most importantly decision making is not near good enough. He stands out for the wrong reasons, it's sad because he seems to have a good attitude and good guy. Essentially he's Forrest Gump running around without a clue or the technical ability. He should never ever start for us, the lad should be sold and we should move on.

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
It shows me nothing really. The last part of your post is merely some bizarre metric you've devised on your own that isn't based on anything factual. Playing for united doesn't automatically make James better than squad players at lowly clubs.

James was abysmal against Leeds but you feel he was rated correctly at 5.7. In your mind that was a perfectly acceptable performance from him and I find that puzzling
Again, how can you judge player like James the same way as Fred, Matic, Rashford Sancho or Martial, different role, different expectation. 6/10 for a backup is my minimum expectation. That's the minimum rating I expected someone like Fortune and Buttner to deliver which they did.

The Hilton

to the table.

No he shouldn't - he's around for squad depth, and will occasionally start if he hits a run of form or we're against a team where his pace is useful.

It's a role he's really useful for and seemingly happy to perform, and it means that our talented young players can go out on loan and get a decent chunk of playing time rather than having to stick around for a few minutes here and there.

Abysmal is just wild hyperbole, it's actually quite childish. He wasn't setting the world alight, but he did OK - got into good positions, made a potentially goal saving tackle (it stopped an overload on the break), pressed well, but was wasteful of the chances he did get and made some poor decisions on the ball. 5 out of 10 is fair - not good, not terrible.

United in sin

No he shouldn't - he's around for squad depth, and will occasionally start if he hits a run of form or we're against a team where his pace is useful.

It's a role he's really useful for and seemingly happy to perform, and it means that our talented young players can go out on loan and get a decent chunk of playing time rather than having to stick around for a few minutes here and there.

Abysmal is just wild hyperbole, it's actually quite childish. He wasn't setting the world alight, but he did OK - got into good positions, made a potentially goal saving tackle (it stopped an overload on the break), pressed well, but was wasteful of the chances he did get and made some poor decisions on the ball. 5 out of 10 is fair - not good, not terrible.
He was shite. We can agree to disagree.

The Hilton

I don't think this is true. James was left out of the squad plenty last season, he only came in after Greenwood had a very poor first half of the season. Against Leeds, Rashford wasn't available and Sancho, Martial not 100% ready. Ole rates James more than one of the kids or Lingard/Mata. But the line that he's one of Ole's favorites is nonsense. James wouldn't get a look in if Rashford/Greenwood/Sancho/Pogba/Martial/Cavani are available/in form.
You're arguing against a point that the poster didn't make - he said "Ole likes him", not "one of Ole's favourites".

Clearly Ole does see value in James, obviously not as a regular starter or a top player, but as a useful member of the squad - hence why he keeps getting minutes.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout

What I think some people are missing is that this is his thread and his thread alone, which means it exists in a bubble where his performance and contribution is analysed. Some posters seem to be coming in here to be offended by the fact that's what's happening, in the Daniel James thread... they would have a point in the open United forum, where separating James from the game could be perceived as unnecessary and cruel, but not here.

It's also quite bizarre that in a game where he did stand out for his level on the ball and in offensive phases, some think that shouldn't be discussed or declare it an attack on the player, especially so when practically every post is laying it on thin compared to the blasts our better players routinely get for sub-par performances. This thread could be so much worse than people saying he looks out of his depth with people hoping he either kicks on or finds another club where he can get games and develop under a spotlight with less glare.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
You're arguing against a point that the poster didn't make - he said "Ole likes him", not "one of Ole's favourites".

Clearly Ole does see value in James, obviously not as a regular starter or a top player, but as a useful member of the squad - hence why he keeps getting minutes.
Yeah I know OP didn't say that, but that line gets trotted here quite often.

And as I explained, Ole sees some value in James, but not a lot. He only got minutes because Greenwood was poor in the first half of the season and Martial was shite.
With the addition of Sancho and Greenwood's explosive development, he'll only see a significant amount of minutes during an injury crisis once the season gets going.

James is basically ahead of Mata, Lingard and the kids in the pecking order. No way he gets ahead of Rashford/Greenwood/Sancho/Pogba this season. I highly doubt Sancho flops and Greenwood plays half a season with only 2 goals scored ever again.

Bondi77

His decision making is the main problem. He's making too many poor decision making and decision making in final third is not something you can coach easily at his age now. It's either a gift or you develop them from a kid.

I still remember this moment, he had zero reason to shoot from that angle and if he's a winger, his natural instinct should tell you not to shoot but looking to pass or cross from that angle. So I wouldn't blame McTominay and Greenwood reaction.

Although, he has very good attitude as a footballer, which is why Ole likes him. On top of that, he's on very low wages.
He is probably in a better position than Bruno was when he scored his second goal and Greenwood was in a better position to score when Bruno converted?????

The Hilton

Yeah I know OP didn't say that, but that line gets trotted here quite often.

And as I explained, Ole sees some value in James, but not a lot. He only got minutes because Greenwood was poor in the first half of the season and Martial was shite.
With the addition of Sancho and Greenwood's explosive development, he'll only see a significant amount of minutes during an injury crisis once the season gets going.

James is basically ahead of Mata, Lingard and the kids in the pecking order. No way he gets ahead of Rashford/Greenwood/Sancho/Pogba this season. I highly doubt Sancho flops and Greenwood plays half a season with only 2 goals scored ever again.
Yeah I agree with that, he's not a starter in anyone's mind, but he's useful to have in the squad - being able to rest one of our better forward players for 10 mins at the end of matches we're winning will do a lot for our squad fitness at the business end of the season, and he'll get a few starts in some cup games (again to avoid fatiguing our better players).

GlasgowCeltic

Bruno's always telling him off for making the wrong run or wrong decision, happened for the Fred goal I think it was

Fussball13251

I think we're slightly overreacting. He's desperate to score but the Leeds defensive shape was pretty good. Also he looks knackered/unfit.

Sometimes players are sluggy in the first game of the season. They are not competitive match sharp yet.

youngrell

He is probably in a better position than Bruno was when he scored his second goal and Greenwood was in a better position to score when Bruno converted?????
It's a ridiculous video anyway. Greenwood and Mctominay are about 10 yards behind him and he has a sight of goal. Very few players are pulling the ball back to one of them with that many Leeds defenders around too. Greenwood isn't even sprinting.

Their reactions are typical of any players at any level who think they've made a run that's been ignored. Doesn't mean they are always right.

Bondi77

It's a ridiculous video anyway. Greenwood and Mctominay are about 10 yards behind him and he has a sight of goal. Very few players are pulling the ball back to one of them with that many Leeds defenders around too. Greenwood isn't even sprinting.

Their reactions are typical of any players at any level who think they've made a run that's been ignored. Doesn't mean they are always right.
Spot on mate,
If he blasts it high into the top corner then everyone would be patting him on the back

Plant0x84

Shame we’re aren’t more like Brighton
Carpark and snack area adjacent to the abyss
The abuse and disrespect Dan James gets on here is fecking horrific. Every third post in the matchday thread was United fans abusing him, it's gotten to the point when it's fecking embarrassing.

United have now played 26 matches in a row with Daniel James on the pitch without losing. With all of last season+Leeds he has been on the pitch for 1703 minutes. The scoreline with him on the pitch is incredible 39-9. United lost 12 matches last season, James didnt play in any of the last 11 losses.

He may not be the best player in the world, but he could certainly be very good and he can contribute a lot to the team.

So stop being complete and total pricks and get behind the young fella'.
Well said, Sir!

If he is so terrible why would Giggsy recommend him? Why would Ole sign him? Why would Bielsa allegedly love him so much? Why would Leicester fans see anything in him?

You’re doing alright Dan, keep going and ignore the haters!

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Yeah I agree with that, he's not a starter in anyone's mind, but he's useful to have in the squad - being able to rest one of our better forward players for 10 mins at the end of matches we're winning will do a lot for our squad fitness at the business end of the season, and he'll get a few starts in some cup games (again to avoid fatiguing our better players).
And I think that's part of where the frustration lies with a lot of James' critics, including me.

We see a bunch of talented kids at the club and we'd rather have them be 6th choice (with Mata as a more experienced backup).
There's the counter argument that they're better off going out on loan, but I don't think all of them have outgrown the u23. I'm sure 17y old Shoretire isn't going out on loan and might benefit from the experience.

James' pace didn't get us a goal last season. I'm sure Mata is fit enough to run around for 10 minutes and his superior techique might allow us to not botch a counter attack, in case Ole doesn't trust one of the kids. We don't need 6 seniors players for one position.

Well said, Sir!

If he is so terrible why would Giggsy recommend him? Why would Ole sign him? Why would Bielsa allegedly love him so much? Why would Leicester fans see anything in him?

You’re doing alright Dan, keep going and ignore the haters!
The same Bielsa that bought Firpo? Do you think Ole's signings are incapable of flopping? (Look up SAF's flops). What do I care what Leicester players think of a ManUtd player? Do you think Giggs is incapable of recommending a young player that didn't develop to the extent of being good enough for Manchester United? The same Giggs that wanted to keep Welbeck?

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
I think we're slightly overreacting. He's desperate to score but the Leeds defensive shape was pretty good. Also he looks knackered/unfit.

Sometimes players are sluggy in the first game of the season. They are not competitive match sharp yet.
It would be overreaction if this was different to what he had shown in the previous seasons. It isn't, his top level just isn't good enough when he isn't going through a purple patch like the one that he had in his few first games for us. He also had enough time to get fit in pre-season.

The Hilton

And I think that's part of where the frustration lies with a lot of James' critics, including me.

We see a bunch of talented kids at the club and we'd rather have them be 6th choice (with Mata as a more experienced backup).
There's the counter argument that they're better off going out on loan, but I don't think all of them have outgrown the u23. I'm sure 17y old Shoretire isn't going out on loan and might benefit from the experience.

James' pace didn't get us a goal last season. I'm sure Mata is fit enough to run around for 10 minutes and his superior techique might allow us to not botch a counter attack, in case Ole doesn't trust one of the kids. We don't need 6 seniors players for one position.
I can understand that viewpoint to a degree, but I can also understand why Ole would give minutes to James over young players that "haven't outgrown the u23s" as you put it.

Firstly, those youngsters won't have the PL experience that James has, nor the level of understanding of what Ole wants from them, and often they aren't fully physically developed yet. These aren't through any fault of theirs, it's just youth and lack of experience. On top of that, throwing those young players into first team matches is a huge increase in pressure - a poor performance and/or criticism from fans or press can set back youngsters, especially at such an early stage in their development.

Also, calling it 6 senior players for one position is disingenuous, we have multiple forwards who can play in multiple forward positions, and last season our forwards were knackered by the end of the season because there wasn't enough squad depth to rotate due to injuries.

mancan92

Spot on mate,
If he blasts it high into the top corner then everyone would be patting him on the back
The point is you know the strength of your team mates. Bruno and greenwood know there's an extremely low chance that James is hitting anything top corner from there so in knowing his weakness you as a team mate expect James to pass it when in that position.

Bondi77

The point is you know the strength of your team mates. Bruno and greenwood know there's an extremely low chance that James is hitting anything top corner from there so in knowing his weakness you as a team mate expect James to pass it when in that position.
True,
But when he first came he scored a few belters with his right foot so he does have the ability.
I just think he is snatching at these chances a bit and maybe he is feeling the pressure more now when he should be enjoying it.

mancan92

True,
But when he first came he scored a few belters with his right foot so he does have the ability.
I just think he is snatching at these chances a bit and maybe he is feeling the pressure more now when he should be enjoying it.
That was two seasons ago now. You have to accept that wasn't the real Dan James those goals were not representative of his actual ability just a one off purple patch. He has had time to show that form again but hasn't got near there.

The James of today is never hitting those goals so I'd rather he look up in those situations

Bondi77

That was two seasons ago now. You have to accept that wasn't the real Dan James those goals were not representative of his actual ability just a one off purple patch. He has had time to show that form again but hasn't got near there.

The James of today is never hitting those goals so I'd rather he look up in those situations
If he has done it then he has the ability as that is the definition.
Confidence is everything at the highest level and only the really good ones can keep the consistency.

GioF

I’m not sure I get the argument about the attacks being personal. From what Iv read the comments are on his playing style and overall game not any personal attacks or the likes of what we’ve seen against some players of different religion/race.

For me il stand by the fact I think he’s a good level below the standard needed here. Can he be a solid PL player for a mid table team? Yeah of course. But he’s by far limited in footballing ability and IQ to be a player in a top team. Some of the comparisons to the likes of Park, Butt and other great squad players over the years is disrespectful and outlandish. Those lads would walk into other ‘top 4’ squads. James would not.

Anyone who gains an opinion after just Saturdays game alone that James is and should continue to be worth a place in our squad has massively different opinions to myself and the quality needed that I feel will enable us to challenge for league titles snd European honours.

Status
Not open for further replies.