Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

OverratedOpinion

What are we basing this on?
I like Dan James and think a squad is always better for having decent level pros who have a great attitude and can be used in Cup games. With that said Amad is a mile more talented than him, he is a better dribbler, his pass selection is on a different planet, he reads the game better in knowing what position to stand in to receive the ball in a more advantageous way.

Sylar

I like Dan James and think a squad is always better for having decent level pros who have a great attitude and can be used in Cup games. With that said Amad is a mile more talented than him, he is a better dribbler, his pass selection is on a different planet, he reads the game better in know what position to stand in to receive the ball in a more advantageous way.
Whilst you may be right I also think this sounds like a lot of what is said about a lot of our youngsters

So which games are you basing this assessment from?

OverratedOpinion

Whilst you may be right I also think this sounds like a lot of what is said about a lot of our youngsters

So which games are you basing this assessment from?
It is on quite a small sample size, the games Amad played at the end of the season, the Olympics and some of the very few of Atalanta's Champions League and Serie A games I went back and watched a bit of after we had signed him. I think with this type of difference you only need a decent sample size with one of the players (Dan James in this scenario) because you can then spot things that they do not do very quickly when another player does so.

The best way I can describe it is that I feel Amad looks like he is a seasoned professional whilst having by far the less experience of the two whilst James still looks very raw (with some great qualities).

United in sin

Dan is a squad player. He's a full international and as far as we can objectively tell, he's a very grounded professional and has a strong mentality.

He's a grafter and character I'd love on my team. He knows exactly where he aligns with the squad. Doesn't have high wages at the club and always brings max effort to the side whenever he plays.

Don't like the lack of respect he gets on here. You need a variety of players and characters in a big squad like United. He's a fine squad player.
The issue is he works hard but he doesn't provide enough quality and end product. Should we simply reward players for trying?

We'd have kept Gibson and Cleverly in that case, and a host of others who carved out decent PL careers but weren't good enough for united

Polar

James isn’t good enough to be a starter, and I think he never will. Bid >£20m should be accepted. A move to a mid table team would be best for his development and we need >£20m in our hunt for a new CM and Haaland.

OverratedOpinion

The issue is he works hard but he doesn't provide enough quality and end product. Should we simply reward players for trying?

We'd have kept Gibson and Cleverly in that case, and a host of others who carved out decent PL careers but weren't good enough for united
He is better than Darren Gibson, Tom Cleverly was a squad player in some good teams and played that role for 4 seasons which was fine.

United in sin

He is better than Darren Gibson, Tom Cleverly was a squad player in some good teams and played that role for 4 seasons which was fine.
Gibson was better IMO. He passed the ball better, had better overall technique and at least excelled at one thing (his long range shooting).

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Again, I'm having this discussion on what would be realistic

If not id say sure let's sell him, cut Jones, buy a DM and let's buy haaland now rather than wait next season.

Complete straw man. There's nothing unrealistic about suggesting we sell James. Ridiculous to compare it to selling Jones and spending 300m right now.

However I'm speaking in terms of what we know of this club and the history and on Ole

Which is what? We don't buy a 21 year old for a relatively small fee and sell him at 23 when he flops? Why would precedent even matter if the player isn't good enough.

I don't think James should be a starter and I think we should have loaned him last season as he showed certain glimpses here and there.

I kinda disagree. He was very useful when Martial and Greenwood were very poor and Mata was out. The alternative was keeping Lingard who was in much poorer shape. I think only now that Greenwood's more experienced, we've gotten Sancho in and some promising kids, it's time to part ways.

I think Sanchez is the only one we've actually cut

The only one of what?. The list of flops we've sold is very long. The 13 Van Gaal signings minus Shaw. There was also Lukaku and Miki from Mourinho's signings. And Fellaini. Ample bad signings under Fergie too.

I really dont see Manchester United buying a 21 year old then selling him for 20m two seasons later.

Memphis was that age when he joined and we sold him to Lyon for a price like that...

We've sold players deemed "not good enough" at lower prices on clear outs because we were poorly ran.

Guys like Kagawa and Buttner came in at 22 and were sold 2 years later. I'm not sure why the fact that they're bought at 22 matters with regards to selling them. We've sold all kinds of flops that came in older, or those that we've held on to for longer than 2 seasons, like Rojo and Fellaini. Or academy players, like Fosu-Mensah and Wellbeck.

If you're still asking why we wouldn't just cut him I don't know what else to say to that
It seems like you really want James to succeed and are therefore looking at all kinds of reasons to keep him when his performances arguably don't warrant it. At the price he was bought he was always gonna be a gamble.

Bwuk

If James could finish a ball he’d score loads. Gets himself in good positions.

His positioning is decent but he lacks the technical ability.

Sylar

It is on quite a small sample size, the games Amad played at the end of the season, the Olympics and some of the very few of Atalanta's Champions League and Serie A games I went back and watched a bit of after we had signed him. I think with this type of difference you only need a decent sample size with one of the players (Dan James in this scenario) because you can then spot things that they do not do very quickly when another player does so.

The best way I can describe it is that I feel Amad looks like he is a seasoned professional whilst having by far the less experience of the two whilst James still looks very raw (with some great qualities).
I hope you're right regarding amad obviously but thanks for stating what you're basing it off.
I think James decision making is horrible for the most part and would think a change in scenery may help. It's crazy but he's played more games for us than he did at the team we bought him from. It's funny cos if James had those first five or so games from his first season with us and then got injured (or it was five towards the end) we would all be excited about him.

I think too many people are too quick to hype somebody up or write a player off, and it's usually one extreme or another.

It seems like you really want James to succeed and are therefore looking at all kinds of reasons to keep him when his performances arguably don't warrant it. At the price he was bought he was always gonna be a gamble.
What? I want every United player to succeed
Why would not what that? That's a bizarre statement.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
What? I want every United player to succeed
Why would not what that? That's a bizarre statement.
Let me rephrase it to: "you want to see him succeed so badly you're unwilling to accept he has already flopped".
You know, if we sell him there's players that have an actual chance at succeeding that could get his minutes.

Honestly, if that's your takeaway from my response to your post, you're just wumming. Not surprising considering you basically said selling flopped players for 20m two years in is not "the united way" and Sanchez was the only example you could think of :lol:

edcunited1878

Gibson was better IMO. He passed the ball better, had better overall technique and at least excelled at one thing (his long range shooting).
Again, it's never just about pure talent, of which I don't think Gibson had more of than James. Gibson had a bad work ethic and most importantly, his personal life negatively impacted his play because by all accounts, he was an avid drinker.

James has been a much better fit for the squad than Gibson ever was or ever could be.

Sylar

Let me rephrase it to: "you want to see him succeed so badly you're unwilling to accept he has already flopped".
You know, if we sell him there's players that have an actual chance at succeeding that could get his minutes.

Honestly, if that's your takeaway from my response to your post, you're just wumming. Not surprising considering you basically said selling flopped players for 20m two years in is not "the united way" and Sanchez was the only example you could think of :lol:
You can add Smiley's all you want, but you're having two different conversations now

Selling somebody and cutting somebody is completely different

And you've missed the whole point of the whole conversation because you're too busy playing fantasy football on what your ideal Manchester United would look like. Well done.

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
What are we basing this on?
It's just my opinion after seeing them play. Short sample size but sometimes some player catches your eye even if they haven't performed to the level they can. With James, it has always felt like this is his level which isn't bad but probably not good enough for Manchester United.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
It's just my opinion after seeing them play. Short sample size but sometimes some player catches your eye even if they haven't performed to the level they can. With James, it has always felt like this is his level which isn't bad but probably not good enough for Manchester United.
It's pretty clear that Amad is miles more talented.

Borys

Statistics Wizard
If James could finish a ball he’d score loads. Gets himself in good positions.

His positioning is decent but he lacks the technical ability.
Interesting, I actually have a completely different opinion on him. In theory he has decent technique, can run with the ball and is quite fast. The problem I see with Dan: he isn't smart, he will run into players even if given acres of space. His finishing is quite good too I think (but he has no medium to long shot in him).
I bet he is a good player in fifa, not so in real life when his head is controlling his movement.

vva

In case James are not sold which is likely to be the case, we have Sancho, James, Greenwood, (Rashford) as LW and RW.
So, in the ideal case, we should send 1 youngster on loan. Elanga or Diallo, who's better choice to be on loan?

Man Utd 5:1 Leeds Utd

WPMUFC

I'm not going to blast him. All i'll say is that his level is a super sub in the 70-80 min to run at tired defences. That kind of speed late in games will create opportunities. He's simply not a starter and looked completely at odds to the rest of our attack.

Some good positioning, but his role if he is to stay is an impact sub player and that's it..

Marwood

He was the odd one out today, it's obvious he doesn't belong at this level, but in fairness he's only playing because two or three were missing.

zenith

Eventually his role is going to fall back to a squad one as the season goes on, so I'm not sure why people cry all the time.

He'll be useful as the season goes on

Robbie Boy

Killed far too many attacks with poor technique and decision making. No hassle though as he won't feature much when everyone is fit.

Dante

Average bang
He was poor on the ball. But people are really underrating his pressing and his ability to stretch the play. He makes the pitch simply bigger because his pace gives opposition defenders something to worry about every second he on.

He'll get better as the season goes on.

ivaldo

Mediocre Horse Whisperer, s'up wid chew?
The only player that didn't step up today. Can't wait for Sancho to get up to speed.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
He is lucky it wasn't a close game. He killed every good attack he get his foot in. His ball abilities are a joke at this point.
It's such a shame because off the ball, he's excellent.

mu4c_20le

If he practices his shooting then he can be useful because he does get in decent positions and create chances, and those shots could result in many rebounds. Still think there's a squad player in there.

GMoore23

I don't want to be sore on the lad but he just isn't a United player.
We were phenomenal out there today but James stood out like a sore thumb. He shouldn't even be ahead of Lingard in the pecking order and this is coming from somebody who can't stand Lingard.

DutchCruijff

Not sure he'll be useful as a squad player when whenever he's called upon, he's of low quality.

LW - Rashford/Martial/Sancho/Pogba

RW - Sancho/Greenwood/Mata/Diallo

That's more than enough. James doesn't warrant being ahead of those players hence he needs shifting.

kundalini

Dan James was poor today. Won possession a few times, carelessly offside, a tame shot on target, one blocked and one off-target. Put a cross in within no United players inside the area.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I would still keep him. You bring him on when you want to see out a game. But he was poor today. He was the odd player out. The one that looked out of his depth.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I'm not going to blast him. All i'll say is that his level is a super sub in the 70-80 min to run at tired defences. That kind of speed late in games will create opportunities. He's simply not a starter and looked completely at odds to the rest of our attack.

Some good positioning, but his role if he is to stay is an impact sub player and that's it..
What supersub? We'll be playing mostly against parked busses whenever we need a goal in the final stages of a game. He's a luxury sub whenever we have a lead.

If he practices his shooting then he can be useful because he does get in decent positions and create chances, and those shots could result in many rebounds. Still think there's a squad player in there.
I always thought if he could actually finish he'd be a good squad player. But ehm he needs to start doing that sooner rather than later.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Positionally and defensively prefect today. Of course lacking in end product but he pinned back Leeds

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
Decent game but lacking final ball or shot. It's a shame really because he did get in some great position

Andersons Dietician

I really do feel sorry for him at this point. He seems like a nice guy, I want him to do well, but he’s like an 8 yr old playing against the under 21’s. Makes terrible decisions. I like that after about the 4th time he came inside cutting off all options for Bruno it was good to see Bruno pull him aside and explain to him going wide will create space for us to run in to.

He’s hard working and I love that but he just does not have the intelligence right now to know what he should be doing.

Valencia Shin Crosses

I think people are taking it easy on him tbh. Pressing and running is all it takes to say someone is useful now? He legitimately looked like a Sunday league star that won a contest to get to play a game for United.

And I’m not even mad or anything, it is what it is at this point and he’s there for depth. But saying he can do a job when his role is a forward that can’t EVER seem to get it right in the final third is just pity.

Status
Not open for further replies.