5.1 Season Average Rating
Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sylar

He needs a loan. Maybe a team like leeds would be perfect for him. His decision making is... yeah, annoying?
Or is it not decision making but execution. Even thornley mentioned how he gets into positions and gives it away, which is quite something to hear on mutv commentary.

Hoof the ball

I can't. I just can't with James. Not another season. All this talk about him keeping the width and stretching the opposition, as if the opposition are even remotely worried about a player who, when in the final 3rd, more likely than not (a) is dispossessed, (b) outmuscled, or (c) simply picks the wrong pass or fails in the execution of the same.

hungrywing

I can't. I just can't with James. Not another season. All this talk about him keeping the width and stretching the opposition, as if the opposition are even remotely worried about a player who, when in the final 3rd, more likely than not (a) is dispossessed, (b) outmuscled, or (c) simply picks the wrong pass or fails in the execution of the same.
But who would we give his minutes to.

acnumber9

A few players looked off the pace to me, James, Martial, Pogba and Fred. Unlike the others, James had no excuse. I’d sell now if Lingard isn’t going and use Lingard out wide when we get desperate.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
He definitely has room to improve with some better decision making and confidence.

But his touch and general ability on the ball are a big reason he's relatively unproductive and those attributes are hard to improve.

I appreciate his energy to constantly run in behind and also track back, but if he doesn't improve in the areas I just mentioned, I don't see a future for him here.

That said, he'd amaze the "championship player" critics if he played for a counter attacking side lower down the table.

He needs a loan.
What's the point of a loan when part of the reason he's gotten so many starts for us is his reliability? If Ole trusts one of the kids with James' minutes, that's the end for James at United. A loan would only serve to put him in the shopping window.

LWRW
RashfordSancho
MartialGreenwood
PogbaMata

We're stacked on wingers, even if we exclude some very good kids (Amad and Elanga), we have 2 reliable backups in Pogba and Mata and I'm sure Shoretire won't go on loan at 17y olds.

With Dalot, Telles and Varane we also have the option to go 3-5-2.

I'm hyped to see more of Elanga (and Amad) for us, but I'd understand it if Ole wants to be more careful. It'll all depend on who leaves or goes on loan I guess.

We definitely need to move someone on, even if we loan out both Elanga and Amad. Lingard's still here too.

Sylar

What's the point of a loan when part of the reason he's gotten so many starts for us is his reliability? If Ole trusts one of the kids with James' minutes, that's the end for James at United. A loan would only serve to put him in the shopping window.
Theres not just one answer as to the point of a loan.

I think James has started as many games as he did:
1) due to his electric start. His goal on his debut vs Chelsea got him a start, then he scored a couple more which really helped him.
2) Lack of options. Hes not starting today if Cavani, Rashford and Sancho are available, because hes not ahead of them. So once two of them become available, he drops the order, big time.

Now based on that, I dont think James will lose his minutes to a kid, but to an actual option which is higher in the pecking order
So a loan would let him recoup the minutes.
A loan would also help him in terms of a different style of play and a different training hes not used to, which means he has to do more work to prove himself.
A loan would also help him with being more confident.

Keep in mind hes 23. There isnt a set criteria on why a loan occurs, but there could be a number of reasons, and one is to benefit the player long term. There also isnt a set age where a loan automatically means putting him in the window for other teams.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
Please god no dont start him against Leeds. Play Pogba on the left if we have to.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
his speed is overrated, people talk like he’s one of the quickest but I haven’t seen him go passed a player in a long time? coleman had him with ease today.

No idea why he’s still here to be honest.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Il support him whilst he plays for us but he is a very irritating player.

I calm myself down a bit by thinking that if Daniel James made it as a professional footballer for Manchester United - then it shouldn't be so hard for my unbred children to make it professionally one day too.

Mickson

Poor today as expected, will probably start against Leeds as Ole seems to like him for some reason. I can't believe he doesn't play Elanga, Amad, and Hannibal (in general) before him.

acolyte

Are you serious? Because the answer is literally anyone. Martial, Elanga, Amad, Pogba, Diogo Dalot, Phil Jones, my 6 months pregnant wife, even the fetus. The fetus is active and energetic with no appreciable end product, just like Dan James.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
A feature of united especially in the fergie days was once the ball gets to an attacking player you feel the excitement. A moment of quality or skill is about to happen. I feel the opposite with James. I just hope he doesn't feck up.

Are you serious? Because the answer is literally anyone. Martial, Elanga, Amad, Pogba, Diogo Dalot, Phil Jones, my 6 months pregnant wife, even the fetus. The fetus is active and energetic with no appreciable end product, just like Dan James.
:lol:

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
If he had half a bit of ability, he would have been a world class player. Never seen a player mess up as much as him due to a poor touch and inability to do basic dribbling. Even a body feint Dan...

Devil may care

I hope we don't piss away another season giving him minutes that could go to Amad, Elanga or Hannibal.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He needs to learn how to body shield the ball. Just like Overmars and all Barca's midfield & forward in the past.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He needs to learn how to body shield the ball. Just like Overmars and all Barca's midfield & forward in the past.
I genuinely don’t think he can, he has no body strength and his balance is poor. As soon as anybody leans into him he just gets knocked over

Green Arrow

I hope we don't piss away another season giving him minutes that could go to Amad, Elanga or Hannibal.
We will give him the minutes he’s just awful to watch no movement on the ball just head down and run. Amad is the better winger everyone can see it sad thing is he will go out on loan.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
I genuinely don’t think he can, he has no body strength and his balance is poor. As soon as anybody leans into him he just gets knocked over
I mean, his body strength couldn't be worse than Iniesta or Messi, right? Those latter two weren't built like Maradona, but they're smart on shielding the ball. Any touch on them is a foul.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Theres not just one answer as to the point of a loan.

I think James has started as many games as he did:
1) due to his electric start. His goal on his debut vs Chelsea got him a start, then he scored a couple more which really helped him.
2) Lack of options. Hes not starting today if Cavani, Rashford and Sancho are available, because hes not ahead of them. So once two of them become available, he drops the order, big time.

Now based on that, I dont think James will lose his minutes to a kid, but to an actual option which is higher in the pecking order
So a loan would let him recoup the minutes.
A loan would also help him in terms of a different style of play and a different training hes not used to, which means he has to do more work to prove himself.
A loan would also help him with being more confident.

Keep in mind hes 23. There isnt a set criteria on why a loan occurs, but there could be a number of reasons, and one is to benefit the player long term. There also isnt a set age where a loan automatically means putting him in the window for other teams.
James had 900 PL minutes last season and a good chunk of that was when he displaced a fit Greenwood after his poor first half of the season. With Greenwood a year older and looking much more consistent, Sancho coming in and Elanga looking like the real deal, there's a good chance we won't need him if we have roughly the same injury situation. (similarly to the nonuse of Lingard before his West Ham loan)

If Ole does trust a kid with his minutes (which he eluded to with Elanga), it's the end of James at United. Could've been a good squad option if he was insanely clinical, but mostly just lacks the technical ability to play for Man United. He's the Fellaini of wingers. He's 24 in 3 months btw, "young" and "new" just stop applying after 2 seasons. He's had his chances. We took a punt and we missed, no harm done. Good luck elsewhere.

We need to sell him. His minutes should go to Amad. Awful winger
We will give him the minutes he’s just awful to watch no movement on the ball just head down and run. Amad is the better winger everyone can see it sad thing is he will go out on loan.
With Sancho's best position being on the right, Greenwood usually playing there too and Mata as a competent backup, I disagree with the Amad suggestions. I'd go with Elanga. Can play on the left and up top. Amad doesn't strike me as a type that can play on the left (think he's a bit like Mata in style). We could keep both, but with Rashy's injury I'm sure Elanga will see more play than Amad, in wich case a loan for the latter does make sense.

Idxomer

Don't think there's been a worse winger for United with more minutes than him in the PL era.

Adisa

Whoever recommended we sign him is a criminal. Nowhere near the technical ability to play at this level.

Djemba-Djemba

Nowhere near good enough but most have known that for a long time now.
Could tell a few months into his first season, after that initial early flurry of goals had stopped.

He always puts in 100% effort but he's just nowhere near the quality required.

It's painfully obvious.

Robbie Boy

Could tell a few months into his first season, after that initial early flurry of goals had stopped.

He always puts in 100% effort but he's just nowhere near the quality required.

It's painfully obvious.
Problem is, anytime he has something that resembles an ok game, all his fans rush on here to tell everyone how wrong they were about him. Some of the hyperbolic nonsense written on here about him during the Euros was baffling.

Djemba-Djemba

Problem is, anytime he has something that resembles an ok game, all his fans rush on here to tell everyone how wrong they were about him. Some of the hyperbolic nonsense written on here about him during the Euros was baffling.
Happens with so many players.

There's this weird downturn in standards at Utd with these fanboys where if you have a good game then that means you get to have the next few weeks off. And if you say he played poorly today they go yeah but he was great in that game 4 weeks ago so leave him alone.

It's weird.

Adisa

People mention pace, but what use is pace when you don't even have a good enough touch to knock the ball past your man or you can't even run with the ball because your touch is too poor?

Status
Not open for further replies.