Appearances
Goals
Assists
Yellow cards
Status
Not open for further replies.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
No he can't. It's a myth that just because he's fast that he dribbles. Rarely does he dribble past players. He averages about 0.8-1 dribble per game since he's come to United. He's not exactly Traore who also has similar end product, but terrorizes the defense with his dribbling. He doesn't dribble as much as Rashford or Martial. Not even as much as Greenwood who is only 19 years old (usually dribbling improves in you hit your early 20s), and he's quite conservative in that respect.
He isn’t exactly Messi but if given space he can carry the call just fine. I’m not saying he’ll do it every game, he needs the right conditions. I’m not saying he should be a starter, or even on the bench every week. But in certain games he can be an asset. I think he’s worth keeping around instead of the 15m we’d get for selling him anyway.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Thank heavens you're not on the coaching staff :lol:

An international player who offers 'pretty much nothing'....

I suggest you watch him a bit closer with your obvious dislike of the player locked away.

Have a watch of his run during Greenwoods goal for example, have a look at Pogbas chance (who was the only player in the box?), he makes good runs, keeps things simple, works hard and defends from the front.
He's not a top player, but sometimes you don't need that on every position, he's a squad player and a very handy one at that.
Just handsome (for some). Making runs, keeps things simple, works hard, defend from the front. WHy am I even arguing with you when this is a clear nonsense. Making a run should be absolute minimum for a player, Lingard makes runs and he's twice player than him and is not good enough himself (but injured now, and on his way out) work hard and defend form the front, he's a fecking attacking player and this should be a bonus. In all game she lost pretty much every duel, was twice in clear offside because of his lazyness or lack of game understainding fecking so many balls played to him, which end up in their counter attack. including two horrible finishes, which frankly a proffessional player should be ashamed for. Even Ole laughed at him.

The defence of him here is laughable. His story is coming to end end with us this year because quite clearly the Giggs recommendation and the 15 mil punt we took didn't work out, when at the time we didn't have enough money to quickly rehaul the squad and tried few things in the transfer market.

bondsname

I think James is a guy we’re going to appreciate when he’s gone. I don’t expect James to score, assist, always make the right decision, what I expect of him is to get into good positions, press and win us free kicks. He is a squad option, he may improve but you gotta take him for what he is and not expect too much from him.

So far he has served the club well, we rarely lose when he plays.

Fussball13251

Was thinking the same thing. They feel very similar, the way they dribble, what they do when they get the ball etc

No reason why he can't produce a Harvey Barnes level of output.
Mate Harvey Barnes is a superior player. /watch?v=yeKB6uIq-TM Dribbling, ball control, passing, composure, etc.

Harvey would be a brilliant signing for us. To rotate.

I don't like to criticize players but you don't see Liverpool interested in signing James.

James is decent but you want to win the league and CL. Barnes, for example, he's the type of player you need in order to be able to do this.

James doesn't have an end product and lacks composure. We should not be lowering our standards just because you think the player is likeable.

Last edited:

Champ

Refuses to acknowledge existence of Ukraine
Just handsome (for some). Making runs, keeps things simple, works hard, defend from the front. WHy am I even arguing with you when this is a clear nonsense. Making a run should be absolute minimum for a player, Lingard makes runs and he's twice player than him and is not good enough himself (but injured now, and on his way out) work hard and defend form the front, he's a fecking attacking player and this should be a bonus. In all game she lost pretty much every duel, was twice in clear offside because of his lazyness or lack of game understainding fecking so many balls played to him, which end up in their counter attack. including two horrible finishes, which frankly a proffessional player should be ashamed for. Even Ole laughed at him.

The defence of him here is laughable. His story is coming to end end with us this year because quite clearly the Giggs recommendation and the 15 mil punt we took didn't work out, when at the time we didn't have enough money to quickly rehaul the squad and tried few things in the transfer market.
Again, thank heavens you're not on the coaching staff.

It's so nonsensical that three top tier UEFA Pro licensed managers picked him in their squads, and two of them continue to do so.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
Showed all his trademark moves today:
  • Outmuscled and fell to the floor x2
  • Dribbled ball out of play x2
  • Silly offside x1
  • Pea-roller shot x1
  • Comically overhit cross x1
We should bite Leeds or Brighton’s hands off if they want to pay £15m for him. Isn’t good enough and never will be.
I don't want to pile on the koala bear but this made me laugh.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Should probably be the only one to lose his place this weekend.
Im fan of his intensity and work rate. I wanted him to start over Rashford a lot more often in the second half of last season as at least he would work defenders and be a willing runner but I agree with this. On the basis of the last game he should be benched for Sancho or Cavani. Whoever is fittest of the two. It’ll be tough on lindelof to lose his place though. He was solid and got an assist.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Not much to add, but hearing that 26 games unbeaten stat with James is so silly. We lost 10 games last season. Do these people genuinely think James not coming off the bench is why we lost to PSG? Or him not being selected for the squad against Spurs (because he's shite) is why we lost 1-6? :lol:

It's like people need to find some low sample size coincidence stat to show that him running like a headless chicken is sufficient for a ManUtd winger. Because he's shit and clips don't do it.
Have you guys ever watched a James compilation? His best moments are literally him just running fast. Use your eyeballs.

And just as I'm about to post there's a dude that wants him to start over Rashford :lol:
A player that had 23 goal contributions last season while carrying an injury and decided games single-handedly. Meanwhile Dan James only meaningful goal contribution last season was 1 goal against Newcastle. All his other goal contributions were 4-0's in the 90th and such. "But he runs a lot!"

I'd start a blindfolded Rashford over him.

UncleBob

I disagree entirely with alot of the points you've raised.
You've obviously spent a lot of time on your analysis there, but alot of it appears to be clutching.

You ask what warrants praise....maybe the fact that he made that run and didn't stand still, that he anticipates that he may get the ball, that his first thought is to get into the box.
Some standards we expect players these days to live up to, it was good of him not to stand still when we're attacking :lol:

The same goes for the run you highlighted, he actually makes a similar run as Greenwood, which is the correct run, alas they both made the same one. The run has opened the space on the right but there is no overlap. Good run, just needed communication with or from Greenwood. (I think it's Greenwood anyhow)
Greenwood is the striker, he makes the correct run, but It's not the correct run for James. Him running into the same space as Greenwood just congests the centre of the pitch, leaving no passing alternatives or space for Bruno to run into. There's a reason Bruno is agitated afterwards and pointing out wide..It has nothing to do with lack of communication, James should be well capable of understanding which space he should move towards.

The only run Dan James should be making is out wide and looking to get in behind. It will force their fullback to concentrate on the run he's making, freeing up room for Bruno to bring the ball forward.

His chance you've highlighted in the 20th minute, you think a confident James would hit that when he should have? I do.
We've seen him do that before. But alas, he constantly gets criticism for doing little wrong and I'm sure players can pick up on that.
Against Leeds, his best attributes was his workrate up top, constantly closing down the Leeds players and limiting their passing options from the back. Unfortunately, his attacking contributions were pretty much shit, half the time he doesn't know if he should run towards the player with the ball or if he should try to get in behind.

Mctominay makes a great run, all James has to do is roll the ball to his feet and McTominay can either run with the ball or try to play in Pogba behind their fullback. James ignores the run and just continues with the ball at his feet.

Champ

Some standards we expect players these days to live up to, it was good of him not to stand still when we're attacking :lol:

Greenwood is the striker, he makes the correct run, but It's not the correct run for James. Him running into the same space as Greenwood just congests the centre of the pitch, leaving no passing alternatives or space for Bruno to run into. There's a reason Bruno is agitated afterwards and pointing out wide..It has nothing to do with lack of communication, James should be well capable of understanding which space he should move towards.

The only run Dan James should be making is out wide and looking to get in behind. It will force their fullback to concentrate on the run he's making, freeing up room for Bruno to bring the ball forward.

Against Leeds, his best attributes was his workrate up top, constantly closing down the Leeds players and limiting their passing options from the back. Unfortunately, his attacking contributions were pretty much shit, half the time he doesn't know if he should run towards the player with the ball or if he should try to get in behind.

Mctominay makes a great run, all James has to do is roll the ball to his feet and McTominay can either run with the ball or try to play in Pogba behind their fullback. James ignores the run and just continues with the ball at his feet.

Why would he play McT in there, that's a pointless pass, McT is making that run to drag player with him to create space. McT gets that ball and he's going nowhere, instead James is in space ready to play into the feet of the striker or into an overlapping player.

As for his run, it's the right run, but it needed an overlapping player.

Simple stuff really.

Fussball13251

He's not the level of Harvey
www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUX9AapJRhk

It is ridiculous to say so. He would not replace Harvey at Leicester.

Harvey has better technique. This is why Leicester can compete with City. Because of players like Vardy, Madison and Harvey.

Harvey is a explosive player. Things happen when you have him in the team.

Sancho is just as good technique-wise www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cS7WCezNJU But he better get used to the faster premier league.

Useful late 5 minutes to go sub but not a starter.

Last edited:

OrcaFat

I don't think so; do you think Amad is that far behind James, for example?

Granted, James has an off the ball contribution and will run and track back, but it's offset by what he does on the ball and in his offensive phases. Amad I would think, is the opposite: possibly poorer off the ball but much better on it.

The thing with games like yesterday is James offensive contribution can be overlooked, but a few things go wrong in that same game, and his offensive contribution is heavily scrutinised rather than something being posted about rather casually in here.

I'd also say those minutes aren't gifts as they're important for development - unless James genuinely has a future here, his minutes are more throwaway than sharing them amongst others that do, imo, as he himself has a hell of a lot to work on and there's not much chance of him getting sufficient time to do so.
I agree with some of these points and in some ways I agree with the principle. But we have to pick teams to win games. The kids need minutes to develop but the importance of the games and number of minutes has to be rolled up carefully.

But this might be down to a difference of opinion about the merits of Dan James. We both know his limitations but I still think the kids need to show that they can do the job, through good performances in lesser games. Maybe it won’t take many minutes or many games for some of them but they are mostly not there yet.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
The abuse and disrespect Dan James gets on here is fecking horrific. Every third post in the matchday thread was United fans abusing him, it's gotten to the point when it's fecking embarrassing.

United have now played 26 matches in a row with Daniel James on the pitch without losing. With all of last season+Leeds he has been on the pitch for 1703 minutes. The scoreline with him on the pitch is incredible 39-9. United lost 12 matches last season, James didnt play in any of the last 11 losses.

He may not be the best player in the world, but he could certainly be very good and he can contribute a lot to the team.

So stop being complete and total pricks and get behind the young fella'.
I think you pretending Dan James had anything to do with that is one of the most disingenuous things I’ve ever seen on this forum. Go on then, give us a bit of context.

UncleBob

Why would he play McT in there, that's a pointless pass, McT is making that run to drag player with him to create space. McT gets that ball and he's going nowhere, instead James is in space ready to play into the feet of the striker or into an overlapping player.
Yes, why would you play the ball into the feet of a player running towards their box :lol: Because if it's one thing that defenders without cover love, it's opponents running towards them with the ball.
McTominay stretches out both arms, he's unhappy that he doesn't receive the ball, Dan James ends up rolling it sideways to Fernandes who proceeds to shoot from 20 something meters.

As for his run, it's the right run, but it needed an overlapping player.

Simple stuff really.
How on earth is it the right run when you already have the striker in front of him making that exact run :lol: The last thing James should be doing is following him..There's no one to overlap him either that he needs to create space for, Leeds has just attacked and we're countering...James congests the area and he's never even in a position where he can actually receive the ball, Leeds don't have to worry about someone out wide so they can remain compact. You can clearly see Bruno raise his right hand and point out right as James goes past him towards the centre, wondering what the feck he's doing.

Conor

The only reason he played is because Sancho is brand new, there isn't a hope of him starting games like that in the future, barring injuries.

romufc

The only reason he played is because Sancho is brand new, there isn't a hope of him starting games like that in the future, barring injuries.
Agreed. He is starting because Rashford is injured, Cavani isn't fit, Martial isn't fit and Sancho isn't ready.

Once they are all fit, I do not see many minutes afforded to James.

Marwood

I think you pretending Dan James had anything to do with that is one of the most disingenuous things I’ve ever seen on this forum. Go on then, give us a bit of context.
That's very harsh.

Yeah he's not good enough on the ball but you have to at least acknowledge his off the ball work contributes in some way to our overall defensive performance. His speed and willingness to do the dirty work is still a thing even if he gives us little going forwards.

Gandalf

I respect your opinion, but I disagree with that. I think Elanga, for example, can do the job as good now and better in the future. We can sell James and make money, thus finance a new CM buy.
In a typical transfer window I think this is what would happen but I believe our planning is impacted by how COVID has affected the finances of the teams who most likely would be in the market for Dan. I have not seen any credible links to a serious offer and we know that the smaller PL clubs are mostly managing on pennies this summer and so I expect the club has taken the decision to wait another 12 months to cash in. Ole has also talked about the need to keep a bigger squad around this season because of the unpredictability of positive COVID tests and when you also factor in Rashfords absence it makes sense to keep him around rather than sell him for peanuts in a depressed market. If we get a full season of packed stadiums the financial shackles will be off and he ought to be an easy 20M sale next summer. I am sure if a good offer came in now we would consider it but I think the reality is we know it isn't happening in this window.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I agree with some of these points and in some ways I agree with the principle. But we have to pick teams to win games. The kids need minutes to develop but the importance of the games and number of minutes has to be rolled up carefully.

But this might be down to a difference of opinion about the merits of Dan James. We both know his limitations but I still think the kids need to show that they can do the job, through good performances in lesser games. Maybe it won’t take many minutes or many games for some of them but they are mostly not there yet.
If we’re going to consider this a clean slate and a new season, it’s only one game and we’re all being too reactionary. If, however, you see as a continuation of his body of work for us, he hasn’t kicked on and he looks out of his depth with serious questions to be asked as to whether he’s going to make it in the PL, let alone at Manchester United. From an accumulative perspective, I don’t think there’s anything wrong or questionable about giving his minutes to other players. Are Amad and Elanga going to do worse? Is James a clear contribution level above either of them? Will the minutes ultimately be more beneficial to him than them?

The attributes James has, he doesn’t know how to exploit - to give width and open running lanes for others, he has no idea what or how to do so - he’s being coached by Bruno in real games - he has lot of work to do and won’t get enough time on our pitch to really kick on. Apart from tracking back, I don’t think the aforementioned players are going to be worse than James at anything. Amad is said to not be getting minutes cos he’s so slight, yet James is put through the mill every time because of his own build and strength.

Champ

Yes, why would you play the ball into the feet of a player running towards their box :lol: Because if it's one thing that defenders without cover love, it's opponents running towards them with the ball.
McTominay stretches out both arms, he's unhappy that he doesn't receive the ball, Dan James ends up rolling it sideways to Fernandes who proceeds to shoot from 20 something meters.

How on earth is it the right run when you already have the striker in front of him making that exact run :lol: The last thing James should be doing is following him..There's no one to overlap him either that he needs to create space for, Leeds has just attacked and we're countering...James congests the area and he's never even in a position where he can actually receive the ball, Leeds don't have to worry about someone out wide so they can remain compact. You can clearly see Bruno raise his right hand and point out right as James goes past him towards the centre, wondering what the feck he's doing.
I'm quite amazed at how you can read our players thoughts so much, it is truly a talent....or maybe it's just you scratching around for points to back up what you deem to be correct?

Why play the ball into a player making a run next to a defender, when the run he has made has opened up a whole third of the pitch?
James 100% made the right decision there.

Again, I reiterate my point that James made the correct run, he just needed better communication with Greenwood so they both didn't make the same run. The fact that two players made similar runs suggests that it was indeed the run to make.
Being the mind reader you are I'm surprised that you didn't read James mind there, maybe he was thinking that Greenwood was going short which he often did in the game, so he'll overlap? Communication is key, but the run was good.

Either or, I was happy with James at the weekend, made some good runs, a crunching tackle early on which set the tone, and worked hard.

Teja

Mate Harvey Barnes is a superior player. /watch?v=yeKB6uIq-TM Dribbling, ball control, passing, composure, etc.

Harvey would be a brilliant signing for us. To rotate.

I don't like to criticize players but you don't see Liverpool interested in signing James.

James is decent but you want to win the league and CL. Barnes, for example, he's the type of player you need in order to be able to do this.

James doesn't have an end product and lacks composure. We should not be lowering our standards just because you think the player is likeable.
Yes obviously Barnes is better right now, I'm not debating that. But I don't see why James can't emulate Barnes and generally do the things he does. I don't think technically (ball control, dribbling etc.) Barnes is a better player than James. Physically, Barnes is a little bit stronger, so that helps him in the PL.

Think if he goes on loan to some PL club like Lingard did, he'll prove that he can be very effective as well.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
That's very harsh.

Yeah he's not good enough on the ball but you have to at least acknowledge his off the ball work contributes in some way to our overall defensive performance. His speed and willingness to do the dirty work is still a thing even if he gives us little going forwards.
The stat isn’t even correct, we lost against Villareal and he played in that match. He was also either a sub or subbed off in 14 of those games. Someone else said it best when they brought Romero up.

Grande

Three points: The point about James is not that he actually makes runs, but the amount of runs and the speed of them. Having a player that makes twice as many high speed runs in a game is almost like having an extra player on the pitch. It’s a pro, wether you like to exaggerate or not. Secondly, calling James lazy is quite simply lazy, and that’s a generous way to see it. Thirdly, I think you make your own counterpoimt very well there. As a punt at 15m when we didn’t have money for a full rehaul, James isn’t bad at all. Cheap money, for a player that has filled in a squad role while not markedly weakening our output, and we’ll get 15m back for him quite easily if we move him on later. A punt can by definition go either way without being a bad idea, but this punt has proved quite okay.
I think you’re oversimplifying. Team results with and without a player is very tenuous stats, but neither is it necessarily worthless. 1700 mins against a good variety of opposition is not statistically useless when the the outcome is as pronounced, and the use of the argument is important to take i to account: It’s not that anyone says we’re a better team with James than with Rashford, Pogba or Greenwood on the wing, but rather that someone opposes the idea that we, as a team, are markedly worse when he’s playing.
I thought everyone agreed with this, is there really anyone who doesn’t?

VanDeBank

Ma’am
That's very harsh.
No it isn't. The stat is silly. Him coming on 2 minutes against PSG isn't why we won. And him not being in the squad for the other PSG game isn't why we lost. Look up the actual games in which he played. Manutd doesn't lose many games. About 10 or so last season. Nice sample size.

This is like saying VDB was involved in 80% of our losses! This stat is actually true, but him coming on for 2 minutes in a few lost games, means feck all.

I think you’re oversimplifying. Team results with and without a player is very tenuous stats, but neither is it necessarily worthless. 1700 mins against a good variety of opposition is not statistically useless when the the outcome is as pronounced, and the use of the argument is important to take i to account: It’s not that anyone says we’re a better team with James than with Rashford, Pogba or Greenwood on the wing, but rather that someone opposes the idea that we, as a team, are markedly worse when he’s playing.
How about we're so good, we can actually win games despite having a winger that's only made one decisive goal in 1700mins?

Jeppers7

Pogfamily Mafia
He was terrible on Saturday. By the time he left the pitch he visibly didn’t want the ball.

Oranges038

James is a one-dimensional as they come. But, he is also a game-changer and headache to opposing managers with his devastating pace and work-rate. I would use him as a one-half player. Either start and tire out defenders for our quality players to come on. Or come on as a substitute to put already weary defenders to the sword. Also, his salary and initial cost was cheap. Doing well so far considering bang for buck.
When has he ever been a game changer?

TrustInOle

James has had his uses whilst here with us, most notably when he has the space to run and attack teams. He was brought in as cover and a relatively cheap punt for the depth in squad. Like many others, I still feel he can have a place in the squad as his pace, directness and work rate/ tracking back can be beneficial in certain games.

At the same time, with the signing of Sancho and Pogba playing more forward, I can see his game time becoming more fragmented and would eventually benefit from moving for himself and because United are clearly moving past his level now. But the hate a player can get for simply not being god enough in certain aspects has always boggled my mind.

He will have a fantastic premier League career somewhere mid table.

Robbie Boy

Lots of bizarre clutching in here. No amount of arbitrary stats are going to change the fact that he simply isn't good enough. It's painfully obvious to anyone that's watched him since he arrived, that he's not at the level required. Resorting to praising him for 'effort' and 'taking up positions' is really what had is in a shit show for years on end - we were all too ready to accept abject mediocrity. On Saturday, he really was that bad, and killed numerous attacks with both poor technique and decision making.

There's a reason Ole has signed players the calibre of Bruno, Cavani, Varane and Sancho, and it's to get us back to the top. For so long, we had a mismatch of average players and it got us nowhere. Credit to Ole for identifying what calibre of player was needed. James was a punt that apparently came from a Giggs recommendation - it's no shame that it didn't work out for the club, or for James on a personal level. The overwhelming majority of professional footballers are nowhere near the standard required of a Manchester United player, and James falls into that category. He seems like a great lad and I wish him the absolute best for his career, but it won't be at this level.

UncleBob

I'm quite amazed at how you can read our players thoughts so much, it is truly a talent....or maybe it's just you scratching around for points to back up what you deem to be correct?

Why play the ball into a player making a run next to a defender, when the run he has made has opened up a whole third of the pitch?
James 100% made the right decision there.

Again, I reiterate my point that James made the correct run, he just needed better communication with Greenwood so they both didn't make the same run. The fact that two players made similar runs suggests that it was indeed the run to make.
Being the mind reader you are I'm surprised that you didn't read James mind there, maybe he was thinking that Greenwood was going short which he often did in the game, so he'll overlap? Communication is key, but the run was good.

Either or, I was happy with James at the weekend, made some good runs, a crunching tackle early on which set the tone, and worked hard.
:lol:

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
James has had his uses whilst here with us, most notably when he has the space to run and attack teams. He was brought in as cover and a relatively cheap punt for the depth in squad. Like many others, I still feel he can have a place in the squad as his pace, directness and work rate/ tracking back can be beneficial in certain games.

At the same time, with the signing of Sancho and Pogba playing more forward, I can see his game time becoming more fragmented and would eventually benefit from moving for himself and because United are clearly moving past his level now. But the hate a player can get for simply not being god enough in certain aspects has always boggled my mind.

He will have a fantastic premier League career somewhere mid table.
I don't think you distinguish between hate for the player and man himself. He's a likable lad but many people just comment on his very poor performance and his overall impact for us longterm, as honest as people are noone probably hates him, just his performances. I agree with the rest except the fact that he will have a fantastic Premier league career. My guess is he's not gonna be better than the likes of Matt Ritchie, and he quite clearly is not and Newcastle is one of the teams which will be soon relegated, so if that level is fantastic enough well done to the lad. I'd rather say he will have a fantastic proffessional career. Maybe in other teams tiers below United he will find his level and be more relaxed but I think he's a championship level player tops. It's not like everyone from Championship or lower leagues is Delle Ali, even Championship is a great league, better than most first division around Europe. No shame in that. For us it's important we are a bit ruthless because that's the only way to get to the top quick. And so are ruthless some comments because people quite clearly see that. But I doubt it's hardly personal.

He's easily the player to let go in the next couple of windows. Got his chance , plugged some holes, served well and it didn't work out. Will have a decent proffessional career elsewhere. I doubt he would go to the likes of Leeds and be a starter for them.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Lots of bizarre clutching in here. No amount of arbitrary stats are going to change the fact that he simply isn't good enough. It's painfully obvious to anyone that's watched him since he arrived, that he's not at the level required. Resorting to praising him for 'effort' and 'taking up positions' is really what had is in a shit show for years on end - we were all too ready to accept abject mediocrity. On Saturday, he really was that bad, and killed numerous attacks with both poor technique and decision making.

There's a reason Ole has signed players the calibre of Bruno, Cavani, Varane and Sancho, and it's to get us back to the top. For so long, we had a mismatch of average players and it got us nowhere. Credit to Ole for identifying what calibre of player was needed. James was a punt that apparently came from a Giggs recommendation - it's no shame that it didn't work out for the club, or for James on a personal level. The overwhelming majority of professional footballers are nowhere near the standard required of a Manchester United player, and James falls into that category. He seems like a great lad and I wish him the absolute best for his career, but it won't be at this level.
Imagine he would feature for the likes of ManCity or even Arsenal, he'd still be not good enough. People should get in touch with reality and compare a bit. We are not charity and the concept of a squad player is well known but I'd rather have Lingard 1000 times who does exactly what James does off the ball, with much better technical and finishing ability with some great spells, capable of scoring some superb goals (James never showed anything close to that!) and even he is not good enough, perhaps on the edge of being a squad player with the current options we have - Rashford, Greenwood, Sancho, Pogba, Lingard, Elanga, Amad, Pellistri, perhaps James is better than Mata system wise but I wouldn't have him over any of these. He's just available for the preseason and that's why he started, will get games if Lingard leaves from time to time but eventually will leave.

Marwood

No it isn't. The stat is silly. Him coming on 2 minutes against PSG isn't why we won. And him not being in the squad for the other PSG game isn't why we lost. Look up the actual games in which he played. Manutd doesn't lose many games. About 10 or so last season. Nice sample size.

This is like saying VDB was involved in 80% of our losses! This stat is actually true, but him coming on for 2 minutes in a few lost games, means feck all.

How about we're so good, we can actually win games despite having a winger that's only made one decisive goal in 1700mins?
Really haven't got the motivation for that but I'm guessing he didn't just play 2 mins in all the games?

In any case it's still way over the top to say he didn't contribute to any of the games he's featured in.

I don't think he had a good game against Leeds but his workrate and speed did give us something defensively.

It's ok to acknowledge that. It doesn't also mean James should be starting the next game.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Again, thank heavens you're not on the coaching staff.

It's so nonsensical that three top tier UEFA Pro licensed managers picked him in their squads, and two of them continue to do so.
Who are they? Do you understand the circumstances why he was bought at the time at all? Of cours he's good enough for Giggses Wales. You better look at their squad.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
He’s not good enough to start for us but he would be the type of player that would hurt us if he played for a mid table team.

He’s no use when teams sit back but if he has space to counter attack in - he is dangerous.

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
I don't think he had a good game against Leeds but his workrate and speed did give us something defensively.
That's all well and good but he is an attacking player. When we start highlighting his defensive contributions in a match we won 5-1 straws are being clutched at.

I don't expect he'll feature much the rest of the season and I'd prefer his minutes go to players who might have a future here.

OrcaFat

If we’re going to consider this a clean slate and a new season, it’s only one game and we’re all being too reactionary. If, however, you see as a continuation of his body of work for us, he hasn’t kicked on and he looks out of his depth with serious questions to be asked as to whether he’s going to make it in the PL, let alone at Manchester United. From an accumulative perspective, I don’t think there’s anything wrong or questionable about giving his minutes to other players. Are Amad and Elanga going to do worse? Is James a clear contribution level above either of them? Will the minutes ultimately be more beneficial to him than them?

The attributes James has, he doesn’t know how to exploit - to give width and open running lanes for others, he has no idea what or how to do so - he’s being coached by Bruno in real games - he has lot of work to do and won’t get enough time on our pitch to really kick on. Apart from tracking back, I don’t think the aforementioned players are going to be worse than James at anything. Amad is said to not be getting minutes cos he’s so slight, yet James is put through the mill every time because of his own build and strength.
Fair points.

The difference here is that I don’t think it’s the priority to carefully allocate minutes so as to maximise the development of players; it’s part of running the club, sure, but my whole point was unless the kids are better than James, they shouldn’t play ahead of him just so they can develop. They need to be better than him to get selected.

They might be better than him; if so, let’s select them.

Status
Not open for further replies.