Daniel Sturridge at Liverpool #divestudge

MJJ

Daniel Sturridge's record is a PL goal every 5.8 shots as a Liverpool player.
From F365. Compare it with RVP goals/shot ratio of 5.4, I think he has done well at liverpool. The selfishness in his play should decline with him being the focal point and scoring more goals and a front three of him, suarez and coutinho will do well in the league if rodgers can shore up the defense.

johnny boy

Liverpool Fan
Supports
Liverpool
From F365. Compare it with RVP goals/shot ratio of 5.4, I think he has done well at liverpool. The selfishness in his play should decline with him being the focal point and scoring more goals and a front three of him, suarez and coutinho will do well in the league if rodgers can shore up the defense.
He has done well, though the odd bad game also. Very good January window and need to compliment that in the summer with another one.

NinjaFletch

I think him and Suarez will struggle together though, thats the problem I think they have.

If Suarez goes I can see Sturridge filling his boots rather well, if he stays I think he'll probably suffer.

MJJ

I think him and Suarez will struggle together though, thats the problem I think they have.

If Suarez goes I can see Sturridge filling his boots rather well, if he stays I think he'll probably suffer.
I think they would gel well together, his pace and finishing, suarez's dribbling and coutinho supplying them both would be a nightmare to defend against. Both him and suarez need to be less selfish though to make it work.

Bebe

Thus far Sturridge and Suarez have combined quite well together. The fact that they are both rather selfish with chances has made Liverpool more direct and threatening thus far. If Coutinho can put in a consistent season next year (and they keep Suarez of course) Liverpool will have a pretty decent attack. Just need to find someone other than Downing to fill the gaping hole on the wings as Sterling isn't ready to shoulder that responsibility.

coolredwine

lameredboots
It will be interesting to see how he does next season. Mid season transfers can be a flash in a pan. Look at Jelavic for example.

Bebe

It will be interesting to see how he does next season. Mid season transfers can be a flash in a pan. Look at Jelavic for example.
A very good point. However I'd be a bit more confident with Sturridge given he did display this sort of form when on loan at Bolton in 2011 (I think). My opinion is that while he has creative types like Coutinho and Suarez behind him, Sturridge will certainly score goals.

Doesn't do much else mind, but he's only in the team for one purpose.

Ekeke

Being selfish and direct can be an asset. I've always liked Sturridge, I hope he leaves Liverpool soon.
This is true and was one of the things that meant Eto'o scored as many goals as he did for Barcelona

Sturridge has been an excellent signing no matter how you look at it

shaggy

Prefers blue over red, loathed by Spurs fans
I thought he was going to be shite to be honest, but he's been very good for them. They seem to have two very nice young players now with him and Coutinho, who I also thought would be shit for them. Great predictions.

alastair

ignorant
I thought he was going to be shite to be honest, but he's been very good for them. They seem to have two very nice young players now with him and Coutinho, who I also thought would be shit for them. Great predictions.
Yeh, I'll fess up to that too. I didn't think they'd be awful, but I thought they'd overpaid.

I've seen Sturridge do things at Liverpool I haven't seen him do before, in my defence though. Who knew he had a good long shot on him?

That said, I still think he's got a massive problem with slowing things up and dwindling on the ball.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
Will be a useful player to have in the England squad. Would be a decent partner for Rooney.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
Defoe is exactly how I see him. They're both:

* Selfish

* Good dribblers at times, with their head down

* Can score goals

* Can score the odd spectacular goal

* English

He is pretty much the new Defoe, if you ask me.
He has a far higher ceiling than Defoe as a player. Alot of people were far too critical of Sturridge, yes he's selfish but he doesn't play like a typical English player - he possesses flair, he likes doing the unpredictable and whilst he doesn't possess great smarts as a player and is capable of being an imbecile, he's alot more talented than a Defoe.

Him, Countinho and Raheem Sterling are pretty refreshing to watch considering they're Liverpool players. Overhyped and underrated in equal measure at the moment.

Giggsforever

If Welbeck can turn out as good as him, I will be happy. I think he have a good season for Liverpool next season also.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
He has a far higher ceiling than Defoe as a player. Alot of people were far too critical of Sturridge, yes he's selfish but he doesn't play like a typical English player - he possesses flair, he likes doing the unpredictable and whilst he doesn't possess great smarts as a player and is capable of being an imbecile, he's alot more talented than a Defoe.

Him, Countinho and Raheem Sterling are pretty refreshing to watch considering they're Liverpool players. Overhyped and underrated in equal measure at the moment.
Nah, I think Defoe has been mismanaged throughout his career tbh. He had a higher ceiling than what he's reached and should have achieved more.

Just a shame he didn't have a long term manager to take him under his wing. We have a pretty one dimensional player now.

Been impressed with Sturridge though, he's done well since his move.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
He's a good passer as well, which surprised me a bit.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
You want him to decline?
Yes, how can you possibly improve on his heske... I mean unique goalscoring record of 2 goals in 39 games (Even Heskey was not so non-scoring).

His Zidanelike performances make up for it though.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Yes, how can you possibly improve on his heske... I mean unique goalscoring record of 2 goals in 39 games (Even Heskey was not so non-scoring).

So, he's better goalscorer than Welbeck, so what? Hernandez is also, and still, Welbeck starts both games against Real Madrid, and not just ahead of Hernandez, but ahead of Rooney too.

Chabon

He's played on the wing all season, you ridiculous spastic. His record when playing as an actual forward for us is, I seem to recall, 16 goals in 35 starts. For England it's 5 in 10 starts. So yeah, he's not as prolific as Sir Shoots-all-the-time, but for a young forward he scores plenty. And he is better at literally everything else in football than Sturridge.

Andrew~

This is going to turn into another one of those threads where certain cafites go on about how much better Welbeck is than a random young striker when he clearly isn't - last time it was Balloteli, crazy as that seems.

alastair

ignorant
He's played on the wing all season, you ridiculous spastic. His record when playing as an actual forward for us is, I seem to recall, 16 goals in 35 starts. For England it's 5 in 10 starts. So yeah, he's not as prolific as Sir Shoots-all-the-time, but for a young forward he scores plenty. And he is better at literally everything else in football than Sturridge.
Is there anyone on this forum you don't hate?

Sturridge and Welbeck are similar players (not racist :nervous:) but it's clear that at this point in time that Sturridge is better in front of goal, and that is essentially what they're both for. I know Welbeck's been pushed out wide a little this year but that goal scoring record isn't good enough when you consider at Arsenal Podolski and Walcott have 38 goals between them from wide positions.

Chabon

Sturridge and Welbeck are similar players (not racist :nervous:)
No, they're not, not even remotely.

and that is essentially what they're both for.
No, it's not, not even remotely.

Seriously, if you want to judge Danny Welbeck's value to the team look not at the goals he scored, but the number of goals the team scores when he's in it.

vuc

First Team Serb
Is there anyone on this forum you don't hate?

Sturridge and Welbeck are similar players (not racist :nervous:) but it's clear that at this point in time that Sturridge is better in front of goal, and that is essentially what they're both for. I know Welbeck's been pushed out wide a little this year but that goal scoring record isn't good enough when you consider at Arsenal Podolski and Walcott have 38 goals between them from wide positions.
:lol:

Chamon Chabon. Sturridge is better than Welbeck.

Chabon

Liverpool fans have been going gaga all over the internet in the last week about the comparative scoring records, presumably feeling they've won the "young black English footballer" Cup. Rather ignoring the fact that the above four things are literally all the two players have in common.

There's a reason Danny is regarded as the future of one big club, while Sturridge was turfed out mid-season by another.

alastair

ignorant
No, they're not, not even remotely.

No, it's not, not even remotely.

Seriously, if you want to judge Danny Welbeck's value to the team look not at the goals he scored, but the number of goals the team scores when he's in it.
I think that's a bit ridiculous. Manchester United are a much better side than Liverpool at this moment in time so the comparisons are ludicrous.

The reality is that Welbeck should be scoring more goals than he does. He looks terrified when he gets close to the goal which is particularly odd seeing how decent he is before that. Sturridge has that edge.

alastair

ignorant
Liverpool fans have been going gaga all over the internet in the last week about the comparative scoring records, presumably feeling they've won the "young black English attacking player" Cup. Rather ignoring the fact that the above four things are literally all the two players have in common.

There's a reason Danny is regarded as the future of one big club, while Sturridge was turfed out mid-season by another.
Welbeck is not regarded as the future of United, you raving lunatic.

Chabon

I think that's a bit ridiculous. Manchester United are a much better side than Liverpool at this moment in time so the comparisons are ludicrous.
That particular point had nothing to do with comparisons, it was an explanation as to why we might pick a winger who doesn't score or even assist much.

Chabon

Welbeck is not regarded as the future of United, you raving lunatic.
Yes he absolutely is. You may think that's the opinion of a raving lunatic, but the potential raving lunatic who says it most often has just retired as the most successful figure in the history of the game.

africanspur

Supports
Tottenham Hotspur
Yes he absolutely is. You may think that's the opinion of a raving lunatic, but the potential raving lunatic who says it most often has just retired as the most successful figure in the history of the game.
Didn't he say Jones would be your best player ever?

alastair

ignorant

Do you remember what Ferguson said about Dong?

Chabon

Didn't he say Jones would be your best player ever?
And, what of it? Welbeck and Jones are so obviously going to be world class footballers that it is a source of great amusement me to see rival fans constantly slag them off. Although I must admit that completely misjudging a player for not scoring a great amount is less funny than doing so because he has an especially silly face.

Daniel Sturridge on the other hand will, at best, be a marginally superior Jermaine Defoe. If he was destined for anything like greatness then he'd be leading the line at Chelsea, rather than getting sold off cheap to a midtable club halfway through the season.