Danny Drinkwater

Decotron

Good stuff. A player I rate highly. Cleverley has got alot of attention recently but I think this lad is the better player. Not to compare them directly but they remind me of each other a lttle so thats why I make the comparison.

Mainoldo

Played the first 79 minutes tonight in Huddersfield's pulsating CC tie with Newcastle.

An assist for Danny in the goal that put Huddersfield 3-1 up but Newcastle came back to win the game 4-3. Some good corner kicks from young Danny aswell.
link??

Collina

I saw the match. He was excellent, his second half performance was particular good.

Man of the match for me.

Tumbling-Dice

Caf Nostradamus
Roy Keane has five kids, partly because of his Iri
I saw the match. He was excellent, his second half performance was particular good.

Man of the match for me.
Yea definitely the best outfield player by all accounts.

(taken from DATM website).

Started on the right but drifted in quite a bit, good set pieces. After Michael Collins was taken off Danny was shifted to the holding role and excelled there. From a bloke who was at the match ..

Square pegs in round holes IMO. Sure enough Drinkwater drifts into the middle to help out collins and kay who were both poor defensively, especially Kay who isn't a defensive midfielder in a month of sundays. Result, its all a bit scrappy, our forwards have no service at all, we're all unbalanced and have nothing down the right, and they were edging it.

Then he suddenly puts round pegs in round holes. Puts Roberts on, moves Drinkwater into holding midfield role, which he really looked the part in. I wouldn't have been fussed which one of Kay or Collins were sacrifised myself because they were both as poor as each other up to then, but Collins it was, allowing Kay to move up where he played pretty well.
All of a sudden the whole thing started to click and we were comfortably the better side from there on in.
Just pick players in their proper positions from the start next time eh Lee!!!

PS18

Drinkwater played the holding role regularly for the academy (or as a more defensively-minded midfielder anyway) so it's not new to him. Wouldn't surprise me if that ended up being his position.

Tumbling-Dice

Caf Nostradamus
Huddersfield Examiner - HTAFC - Huddersfield Town News - Huddersfield Town loan suits Manchester United starlet Danny Drinkwater just fine

Huddersfield Town loan suits Manchester United starlet Danny Drinkwater just fine

Sep 12 2009 by Dougie Thomson, Huddersfield Daily Examiner

DANNY DRINKWATER’S got Premier ambitions – but he’s loving life in League I.

The Manchester United midfielder is four weeks into a season-long loan at Town, and can’t believe how fast the time is going.

Today’s home clash with Brentford is set to provide a fourth start and sixth appearance in all for the 19-year-old, who returned from two games out with a groin injury to help his adopted club win 3-2 at MK Dons last Saturday.

Drinkwater, born and bred close to United’s Carrington training base, signed a new two-year contract over the summer, but knew a loan move was on the cards.

“I really need some first-team football under my belt,” explained the versatile England Under 19 cap, who was a regular in the United reserve side last season, but hadn’t played a senior game until coming on as a substitute in Town’s 3-1 home win over Southampton on August 15.

Drinkwater’s long-term plan is to force his way into the Old Trafford reckoning, but his current commitment to Town is underlined by the fact that he has chosen to live in Huddersfield rather than commute.

“This move is all about me developing as a person as well as a player, and I wanted to get fully involved with Huddersfield,” he explained.

“Myself and the staff at Manchester United started talking about a loan move midway through last season, but it had to be right.

“When Huddersfield came in I was delighted, because it’s not that far from home, it’s a club of stature and tradition with good support, there is an excellent coaching staff here and I knew a couple of the players, Lee Peltier through mutual friends and Alex Smithies from England Under 19s.

“The rest of the lads have been fantastic since day one, and the team spirit here is superb.

“I think you could see that from the reaction to the win at MK Dons. We had to show a lot of character to come from behind twice and get the win, and it really meant something.

“The supporters backed us brilliantly, and it was great to be able to go over and celebrate with them at the end.”

MK boss Paul Ince, of course, was a Manchester United midfield legend, and Drinkwater says he has learned a huge amount from watching and training with the likes of Roy Keane, Paul Scholes and Michael Carrick.

“There are so many good players there you would have to be mad not to watch, listen and learn from them,” he added.

“Every training session is meaningful, but you can say that about Huddersfield as well, because the manager and his staff are hugely knowledgeable.

“Derek Fazackerley is a great coach, and for me, having a legendary midfield player like Terry McDermott as well as Lee Clark around is brilliant, because they are always passing on tips and advice.

“League I is challenging – faster and more physical than Premier Reserve League football – but I think I’m beginning to get to grips with it now.”

prateik

another midfielder who has impressed in the reserves .. we have had some very promising midfielders and defenders come through the ranks in recent years .. and now there are a few strikers too

Tumbling-Dice

Caf Nostradamus
Seems to be out of favour at present. He hasn't featured since goalless draws against Brentford and Stockport which is just about a month ago barring a day or two (26th Sept). There has been no news of any injury so it's just a case of him playing himself back into the side.

PS18

Played for their reserves on Wednesday. Seems to have have become a bit of a scapegoat for the poor run of form they were on, even though most on their messageboards say he was far from the problem in that run.

Test of character anyway.

Tumbling-Dice

Caf Nostradamus
Started last night against Bristol Rovers in Huddersfield's 0-0 home draw with them. Bit of a mixed reaction to him but the general feeling is he's technically good on the ball but doesn't seem to fit in with Huddersfield's system. He's started 9 games there, 1 win, 3 draws, 5 defeats.

Direct quote from a Town regular.

It's not because he's a bad player, it's because he's a player who is in no way suited to league 1. He passes the ball well, he shows for the ball well, but he'll never beat a player, get behind a player, play a killer pass. He'll never make a driving run - Peter Clarke was having to do that tonight. He just doesn't do what we need him to do.
I can't see him getting many more starts for Town, he might get a few appearances off the bench. A lot may depend on injuries of course.

He didn't use the ball well at all today, he just slowed everything down and played most of passes deep in our own half. On what he has shown so far he isn't what we need at this moment in time.
He is obviously a talented lad, but his style does nowt for us - too slow and deliberate in the build up when our best play is centred around quick counter attacking breaks.
it's like putting Pirlo in a league 1 team
:lol:

I think he should be given a run in the team. He looks comfortable on the ball, doesnt panic wanting to get the ball away. I'd like to see more of him.
Neat and tidy on the ball (although even that betrayed him as the game went on) he just doesn't look like he will ever hurt the opposition and he killed the build up of any tempo in our play.

He also committed the cardinal sin of "running away" from his man on at least one occassion!!!
A luxury who plays five yard square balls.

Tumbling-Dice

Caf Nostradamus
Started again yesterday and had a superb game, his best yet in a Town shirt by all accounts. Created a couple of chances that should have been put away, one especially. Commanding midfield performance, good distribution, good set pieces. Good stuff.

A few quotes from fans who attended.

DD showed today( for the first time possibly) that he can grab a game by the scruff of its neck and control midfield.
Drinkwater was class today, but he was the opposite against Bristol Rovers.
Drinkwater today showed what a good player he is....after the bristol rovers game there was thread after thread saying hes crap send him back to Man Utd and the like which made me laugh and i stuck up for him the lad needs to be playing next to a defensive mid and allowed to go forward, think we will see alot more from him as the season goes on!!
totally agree with this danny showed yesterday he can make the mdifield tick and for 35 mins we were well on top, the last ten wins we seemed to fall apart.

danny was making the midfield tick from sitting in the hole aswell.

id of prefered him to get a bit more forward ...
... would def start with tom and danny on tuesday night.

Drainy

He played 90 minutes against Carlisle in a 2-1 win. Lee Clarke was pleased with his performance saying:
“When Danny gets on the ball as much as he was in this game, you see what a good footballer he is."

Tumbling-Dice

Caf Nostradamus
Another 90 minutes in a 2-0 away win at Tranmere.

His quality seems to be coming to the fore now, intelligent passing, good work rate, breaking down opposition attacks but most importantly excellent ball retention. Winning a lot of plaudits at Town.

Leeds on Saturday, come on Drinky !!

PS18

He's a year younger than Cleverley and following a similar sort of career path so far - loan to a promotion-chasing League One side, like Cleverley had last year. If he can get a loan to the Championship next year then who knows. Don't think anyone would really have predicted Cleverley making the progress he has so you can never really know.

I'd be surprised if League One ended up being his eventual level anyway, there's a good Championship player there at least I think.

Tumbling-Dice

Caf Nostradamus
I think he can do better personally. I wouldn't write him off at this age and things will get interesting if he does a Cleverley and finds a club that is "just perfect" for him to develop.
Maybe he is already at that club. Huddersfield are a fresh young side playing some cracking football who are serious about getting out of league one, if it doesn't happen this season then it will the next. One of these clubs where the chairman is a lifelong born and bred fan who is carefully pumping money in as required.

This is the most competitive League One ever, the quality and standard has been raised this season beyond any level previously known. Danny has already said in interviews that it's [sic] ''faster and more physical than Premier Reserve League football''. It's taken time for him to adapt and settle in and now he has, his quality is starting to shine through. You've got clubs like Norwich, Southampton, Leeds, Millwall, MK Dons in there, Swindon, Colchester and Huddersfield can beat anyone on their day. Town are in a play off spot and should they make the play offs they are more than capable of beating the top sides in the league, they hammered Leeds at Elland Rd before Christmas and were unlucky to come away with just a point, they beat MK Dons home and away.

They have a young manager in Lee Clark with good connections, experienced heads like Terry McDermott in the management team. Andy Cole was coaching the strikers up until fairly recently and Kevin Keegan pops in now and again. Derek Fazackerley is one of the most experienced and respected coaches in the game.

He's playing with some good young talented players many of whom won't be in League One for long. [sic] “When Huddersfield came in I was delighted, because it’s not that far from home, it’s a club of stature and tradition with good support, there is an excellent coaching staff here and I knew a couple of the players, Lee Peltier through mutual friends and Alex Smithies from England Under 19s.''
Lee Peltier, Lee Novak, young Jordan Rhodes signed from Ipswich, Gary Roberts, ex United youth Anthony Pilkington, Alex Smithies who has already courted a lot of premier league attention from the likes of Moyes and Redknapp. There's a hell of a lot of young talent in that side.

The M62 was snowed down to one lane last night but they still managed to get 2000 fans over to Tranmere in a bitter blizzard on a Tuesday night in Feb. A journey that would take under 2 hours normally was taking 4 and 5 hours, my brother-in-law got in at 2 15am this morning. Some people had to dump their cars, some people crashed, some people went into quarter mile skids down hills. That's how serious these people are about following their club. I'd say this has been a great move for him and he's at the right club for now, Huddersfield have the set-up and infrastructure to be a more than capable Championship side in the near future.