Danny Drinkwater

Tumbling-Dice

Caf Nostradamus
Roy Keane has five kids, partly because of his Iri
Huddersfield Town: Danny Drinkwater interview

Published Date: 01 March 2010

Ambition flows throughout the veins of Danny Drinkwater – the main aim being to break in at parent club Manchester United no less.
And while 22 impressive performances have come on loan at Huddersfield Town, he's only frustrated it's not been more like 30!

Midfield ace Drinkwater is two-thirds of the way through his season-long loan from the Red Devils, a move which has given him his first taste of professional football.

The 19-year-old will have impressed onlookers from Old Trafford with his performances of late, but the Manchester-born star is only annoyed he missed nearly 10 weeks at the back end of last year after picking up a thigh injury.

The 5ft 10in star is eager to impress both of his employers – Huddersfield and United – with the goal remaining to break into Sir Alex Ferguson's reckoning in the summer.

But for all his frustration at his mid-season injury, Drinkwater knows any amount of games with the Terriers is more than he'd be getting at Old Trafford right now.

Now back fighting fit and in impressive form, the Town loan star hopes nothing can break his run in the first team between now and the end of the current campaign.

Desperate to impress, Drinkwater told Yorkshire Sport: "I look at it and I'm happy but I'd like to have played all the games.

"But it's 20 games I hadn't played before I came out on loan.

"Hopefully, by the end of the year I'll have a lot more as long as my own performances are good.

"It's been all right so far but I had a bit of a dip during mid-season with my injury. I just had a thigh strain but I came back, I am enjoying my football and I am feeling confident. I just hope it stays this way.

"I've been positive coming back since and hopefully we can keep on pushing for promotion.

"My aim right from day one was to try and impress at a loan team – to
help my profile and help a club with what they want to achieve. The closer we get to promotion and the more games I play, the happier I am."

Drinkwater is certainly happy with his surroundings at his loan club, the former England under-18 and under-19s ace impressed with every
aspect of life at the Galpharm.

The midfield star feels the Terriers are ideally placed for the future with a wealthy chairman in Dean Hoyle who, as a fan, quite clearly has the club's every interest at heart.

"It's a good club and the chairman is a fan as well as a chairman," said Drinkwater. "It's like a dream come true for him and the club I suppose. The coaching staff, the players...it's a really good club to be at.

"Everyone's buzzing, everyone's happy and the best thing is just to keep it going really.

"It's not easy to go on such a good run – especially away from home – but we are doing well and we have the lads here to keep it going."

Drinkwater also hopes another footballer keeps his current progress going – a certain Wayne Rooney! The teenager admits it's a good job he's not a striker hoping to break the mould at Old Trafford but stresses even pressing for a midfield berth is a sizeable task given the ammo at Sir Alex Ferguson's disposal.

"Wayne Rooney is Wayne Rooney – the best striker in the world, as he is proving himself at the moment," said Drinkwater, who turns 20 a week on Tuesday.

"Hopefully, he can keep going up to the World Cup and do us a favour there!

"In midfield, Paul Scholes, even in training, proves he is one of the best midfielders about. Michael Carrick as well – all the midfielders at Manchester United are class."

For League One, Drinkwater is also proving a class acquisition for Huddersfield and the teen ace says he has had encouraging feedback from his parent club through Red Devils coach Warren Joyce.

He knows better than to expect one-to-one monitoring from his busy manager whom he knows will have more pressing matters on his mind.

"He's got more important things!" said Drinkwater. "He's got the Champions League to concentrate on so he's got the other coaching staff helping who are more than helping me.

"I speak to Warren Joyce quite a lot – he has a word, he is seeing how I am playing and he just says to keep positive and stuff.

"I will always be listening to their advice because they are all Manchester United coaches."

Summer-time will be when Drinkwater probably hears what matters most – Manchester United's long-term plans for him. The youngster desperately hopes he can make the grade with the Red Devils but is keeping his feet very much on the ground.

"I will just concentrate on my football and if it goes how I want it to, I can play in the team for Manchester United," he said. "If it doesn't, I will still hopefully enjoy playing my football somewhere."

Drinkwater is certainly doing just that at the Galpharm right now and only hopes he can cap his loan spell with a promotion – a promotion which he feels the Terriers richly deserve.

"Huddersfield is definitely a Championship side," finished Drinkwater. "We have proved that with the type of football we have been playing. Hopefully, I can help get them into the Championship."

Huddersfield Town: Danny Drinkwater interview - Yorkshire Evening Post

Tumbling-Dice

Caf Nostradamus
Not too bad tonight, he was MotM against Walsall on Tuesday night, superb in that game. Tonight he was efficient and disciplined without being superb, gave the ball away a bit near the end but everyone did as it got a bit nervy. Some of his play in the first half was very good and Town deserved to go in at HT with their one goal lead.

Millwall came to play head tennis and pressed hard in the second half and he was bypassed a fair bit. However six points from the last two games puts Town firmly in 6th and in with a great chance of making the play-offs. Danny has been almost ever-present in Huddersfield's midfield this year after returning from injury around Christmas. Today was a good test for him and this season's loan has been an excellent move for both parties.

Tumbling-Dice

Caf Nostradamus
In the reserves he seemed like he could become a playmaker. Has he been showing that at Huddersfield?
He has a bit to go yet but he's capable of shifting the ball around well. Tonight he just slotted in well and put in a good performance, nothing more, the stand out players tonight were Gary Roberts who was superb on the wing and the young keeper Smithies who was very solid and destined for Premiership football imo considering he's only 20.

There was one funny moment where a corner was played out to him about 30 yards out to volley a la Scholes and he sliced it high and wide. 'You're no Paul Scholes yet' I said and the commentator referenced Scholes straight after.

Tumbling-Dice

Caf Nostradamus
Huddersfield Town Wembley final incentive drives Manchester United starlet Drinkwater

DANNY DRINKWATER is desperate to end his season with Town as a Wembley winner.

The on-loan Manchester United midfielder was delighted to help Lee Clark’s side to Friday’s key 1-0 home League I win over Millwall.

And Saturday’s results added to his satisfaction, with Southampton the only side among Town’s rivals for a play-off berth to win and his parent club taking the Manchester derby honours.

Now Town, who occupy the final play-off place, head to basement side Stockport on Saturday knowing victory would give them a huge push towards a final top-six spot.

They are six points ahead of nearest rivals Colchester with each team having nine to play for, although Southampton could move five behind Town by winning their game in hand at home to Oldham tomorrow.

And Drinkwater, who is contracted at Old Trafford until 2012, said: “I’ve been a United fan since I was a kid and it was a dream to sign for them, but Town are definitely my second-favourite club.

“We’ve done ourselves a lot of good with that win over Millwall, but the job’s not done yet, and we’ll be giving Stockport total respect.

“That said, we want nine points from our three remaining games and to finish as high as we can.

“We're not there yet, but making the play-offs is in our hands, and walking out at Wembley would be a great experience.”

Huddersfield Examiner - HTAFC - Huddersfield Town News - Huddersfield Town Wembley final incentive drives Manchester United starlet Drinkwater

Drainy

Is that his first goal for them?
His second, I think he scored a screamer for them earlier in the season

Edit:in a 7-1 win at home against Brighton (I should remember it since one of my Huddersfield supporting friends gave me a drunken phone call when he scored saying "He's fecking class")

x42bn6

nice and simple. if we sign only one player this summer make it him. outstanding
He sounded absolutly brilliant today. Please please please sign him up
yeah but if Man Utd accept a bid he might not have much choice, doubt he will want to stay if Man Utd want rid.

been at the game, drinkwater was fantastic today as were the rest, great day
And can you blame him?

I'd happily have DD for another season on loan; now he's fit and knows his teammates he's dynamite at this level. A full preseason with Town and whatever league we're in he'll be even better as he'll be older/wiser/stronger.

His big decision is whether he'll be happy starting 6 times with 10 sub appearances for his favourite club or being the lynchpin of a young and hungry team. He's going to be in the same class as Carrick and Hargreaves eventually; he just has players ahead of him at the moment.

DD has a bright future. I hope it's with us.
Nice freekick from him too. Everyone was expecting Roberts or pills to hit it and he just dinked it over the wall.

He controlled the middle of the pitch today, Stockport had a midfielder that was trying to dictate play but drinky was all over him.
top player.
shows us fans should never write a player off too soon!! a lot saying he was not good enough and to be sent back pre january. been one of our best players in 2010, especially in the last 10 games. robinson has also proven many wrong, good on them both..

so lets also give simpson a good chance next season

(not having a go, just making the point!)
interestingly i thought it was nt the surface for him today.his passing game was missing due to it.however he s looking stronger by the minute.first saw him play the advanced role for utd( which he played today) his movement was excellent.credit must go to kay for that.thought he played the deeper role well and put in the performance we ve been waiting for
Superb and to think I didn't rate him. Ashamed
I didn't think much to him at the start of the season, but I am pleased to say he has proved to be a great asset. He was superb today at Stockport
DD is a superb technical player - sneaks into my top 5 for player of the season :P
DATM - Down At The Mac - Huddersfield Town Forum - Login

:cool:

And on this poll: DATM - Down At The Mac - Huddersfield Town Forum - Login

He has 64.1% of the vote for man-of-the-match.

Tumbling-Dice

Caf Nostradamus
Huddersfield Examiner - HTAFC - Huddersfield Town News - Manchester United starlet heartbroken after Huddersfield Town defeated by Millwall

Manchester United starlet heartbroken after Huddersfield Town defeated by Millwall

MANCHESTER United loan player Danny Drinkwater has revealed he felt ‘shattered’ after Town’s 2-0 defeat at Millwall.

The young midfielder added: “It’s hard to take and very hard to describe the feeling – we’re all just feeling shattered.

“It was very disappointing not to create as much as we wanted because we didn’t have a clear-cut shot and we didn’t have a one-on-one with the keeper, but they defended very well as a unit.”

Drinkwater confirmed that he has to go back to Old Trafford for the start of next season.

“I’ve got some good friends here now and we’re a very close-knit team.

“I’m sure we’ll pick ourselves up from this and be better next season.

“We’re all disappointed at the moment, but I’ve enjoyed it here 100%.

“Even when I’ve been sitting on the bench it’s been a great experience to work with the lads and the coaching staff.

“It’s a great club and it’s just a shame this season has ended like this.”

Tumbling-Dice

Caf Nostradamus
Word has it Huddersfield Town manager Lee Clark has asked SAF about taking DD back on loan for another season but he was told he is going on loan to Preston.

Only talk atm, nothing confirmed but it would be a logical move, championship football for DD and also the Darren Ferguson link.

prateik

i really hoped huddersfield got promoted .
another season in the championship wouldve been great for him ..

not sure about another season in league 1 ..
james and danny both at preston .. surely not