Danny 'Local Lad' Welbeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

ADJUDICATOR

Supports
THE BRAVE AND THE BOLD
When we first sold him there was Some talk of him being the next Henry. How's that working out?

Had we kept him he would not have changed the outcome of our seasons. For one thing he would be mired on the bench. For another he is not the sort of player that turns a clubs season around.

Falcao was a bust but the day we signed him you would have been hard pressed to find anyone claiming Welbeck was better except for those few who thought he was the next Henry.
No one seriously thought he would be the next Henry.

fellaini's barber

He scored one goal because he was moved to the wings to accommodate RVP but it was still a very poor return. The season before that he scored 13 goals playing in his favored position.
Ah....the old favored position excuse,it was used extensively during his time here. He must be the only player in the world who can only score goals when 'played' as a striker'. Your even using it todefend his output against a fecking winger too.
The man was amazingly overrated on here, for some strange reason his fanbase all agreed he was going to displace Giroud at Arsenal...I'll be shocked if he could displace Defoe at frigging Sunderland

Minimalist

Striker who could barely hit a barn door has a few matches every year when he actually looks like footballer. Whatever.

100% correct decision. Arsenal will go no where playing the likes of him.

Loublaze

ATLien
Ah....the old favored position excuse,it was used extensively during his time here. He must be the only player in the world who can only score goals when 'played' as a striker'. Your even using it todefend his output against a fecking winger too.
The man was amazingly overrated on here, for some strange reason his fanbase all agreed he was going to displace Giroud at Arsenal...I'll be shocked if he could displace Defoe at frigging Sunderland
He's no winger. Funny how people have been saying the same about Rashford. I did say his return that season was poor, but the argument about favored and natural positions is a fair one. Would you have played Chicharito or Solskjaer out on the wings? BTW its 'you're', not 'your'.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
He's no winger. Funny how people have been saying the same about Rashford. I did say his return that season was poor, but the argument about favored and natural positions is a fair one. Would you have played Chicharito or Solskjaer out on the wings? BTW its 'you're', not 'your'.
Solskjaer played on the wing quite a lot

Loublaze

ATLien
Solskjaer played on the wing quite a lot
He didn't flourish in that position and it was one of contention for some supporters. You can't seriously sit here and argue about Solskjaer's contributions as a winger

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Wasn't that mainly in 2003 when Ferguson was pretty much sending a message to Beckham that he wasn't needed?
And 2004 after Beckham left. And pretty much whenever we lacked a winger but had a Solskjaer to spare (as is the Fergie way). Think he played there for Norway too.
He didn't flourish in that position and it was one of contention for some supporters. You can't seriously sit here and argue about Solskjaer's contributions as a winger
That's not his natural position, and I'm not saying he flourished there. Just pointing out that's not quite the same thing as putting Hernandez on the wing.

Welbeck and Rashford are both forwards who can play on the wing (playing better when it allows them to get forward). Nicolas Anelka was another. Even Samuel Eto, who I'm fairly sure everyone would think instantly of as a striker, was being described as one of the world's best wingers at one point. Thierry Henry loved drifting out wide so much that Zonal Marking was probably invented just to stop him.

Not entirely sure what my point is, other than a good striker will score goals from the wing. Welbeck's finishing has never been good enough, as pretty much everyone is saying

fellaini's barber

Rashford is a striker playing on the wings, still scores goals, Lingard is a winger playing on the wings,still scores goals, as someone pointed out so did Solksjaer, but Welbeck can seemingly only score when played as a striker. Why would anyone want to play Chicha or Ole as winger when their biggest strength is goal scoring which is Welbeck's biggest weakness. People don't get to play as strikers because its their 'favored' position, why people wanted him to play there for Manchester United when he can't play ahead of Giroud at Arsenal, I'll never know. 'He'll score more if played as a striker'.....well so would I, or Smalling, or Djemba Djemba,doesn't mean anyone should play any of us there. The man was bang average, if he didn't come through from United and wasn't English nobody would even be talking about him. Feel free to point out any errors in the post, your...sorry you're doing a good job so far

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Anyone seen his tweets? WTF is wrong with him? Bitter about us selling him much?

Revan

Assumptionman
We needed him today. What a finish
Definitely. When you need a goal, all you need is to have a striker whose biggest weakness is finishing and who has scored 9 league goals in the last three seasons.

Summit

"do the dead, spread your seed and get out"
Definitely. When you need a goal, all you need is to have a striker whose biggest weakness is finishing and who has scored 9 league goals in the last three seasons.
:lol:

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
Such a shame he's been injured now for two years.
Whenever I see him for Arsenal he looks great, it's a shame about the injuries.
They could definitely have used a fully fit Welbeck over the past few seasons.

Sylar

I dont understand why Wenger brought him off. He seemed the only one making runs for Sanchez.

Bogart-er

Supports
Arsenal
While Welbeck isn't the most prolific infront of goal, that's a tad unfair considering he's been injured for about two full seasons now.

Bogart-er

Supports
Arsenal
I dont understand why Wenger brought him off. He seemed the only one making runs for Sanchez.
Fitness related probably? He's just coming back from a very long injury and hasn't had much game time recently.

Ban

Yeah we need a guy who was never a profilic finisher. One goal and they're back at it.

Gladiator

His hold up and link up play is far more complete, better instincts and more physical which makes it easier for him to play up front. Only that his finishing isnt of the required level usually. However he has scored good goals whenever he's fit for them.
hmm not seeing it but okay

Ban

His hold up and link up play is far more complete, better instincts and more physical which makes it easier for him to play up front. Only that his finishing isnt of the required level usually. However he has scored good goals whenever he's fit for them.
Basically disagree on all of that.
Especially that he's more physical.

Zoo

It was a nice goal, he likes that finish. But I didn't see him the rest of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.