Danny 'Local Lad' Welbeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dante

Average bang
He'd be brilliant in a Mourinho team.

Welbeck would obviously score a lot less than Ibrahimovic, but I think he'd facilitate the team scoring more goals overall.

AXVnee7

Was gutted when we lost him, but Rashford is turning out to be everything I thought Welbeck was going to be. And he's much younger too.

Martial is just ahead of Welbeck in every aspect, except maybe hold up play (but even then he's not far off).

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Was gutted when we lost him, but Rashford is turning out to be everything I thought Welbeck was going to be. And he's much younger too.

Martial is just ahead of Welbeck in every aspect, except maybe hold up play (but even then he's not far off).
Honestly I think Rashford has the pace ahead of Welbeck for us and thats about it. I refused to get carried away on the Rashford hype, he's only 19 and unproven. Welbeck put in some terrific performances for us and his general work rate and strength was far superior.

Red_toad

Honestly I think Rashford has the pace ahead of Welbeck for us and thats about it. I refused to get carried away on the Rashford hype, he's only 19 and unproven. Welbeck put in some terrific performances for us and his general work rate and strength was far superior.
Pretty obvious a 26 year old player would show more strength than a very inexperienced 19 year old player. At the same stage of development, I'd have Rashford as the better player. How he turns out as a player is completely down to his attitude and Jose' desire to utilise him to his strengths. Playing him as an impact winger isn't going to do him any favours long term.
Personally thought Danny should have stayed and fought for his place, but LVG shat on him big time and more or less forced him out of the club, all for the sake of 3 past it strikers, who all basically flopped after he left.

3KDré

Rashford is one of the best striking talents in the world, but we're using him on the wing so obviously his current stagnation is likely to happen. That plus it's his second season.

Red_toad

Rashford is one of the best striking talents in the world, but we're using him on the wing so obviously his current stagnation is likely to happen. That plus it's his second season.
He 'should' have replaced Zlat in quite a few games and started a few to allow him rest. He can be effective on the wing, but it's really not an ideal situation for him. At least he's getting regular gametime and loves the club.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
Rashford hasn't shown enough to justify that at all. People used to completely overhype Welbeck and many of our academy products too and look where it led them.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
Pretty obvious a 26 year old player would show more strength than a very inexperienced 19 year old player. At the same stage of development, I'd have Rashford as the better player. How he turns out as a player is completely down to his attitude and Jose' desire to utilise him to his strengths. Playing him as an impact winger isn't going to do him any favours long term.
Personally thought Danny should have stayed and fought for his place, but LVG shat on him big time and more or less forced him out of the club, all for the sake of 3 past it strikers, who all basically flopped after he left.
Welbeck didn't play for us at 26. He was of stronger build at a younger age and burst onto the scene around about the same stage in his career. I think Rashford has better pace but he's certainly not "turning out to be everything Welbeck could have been". He's still quite unproven, and still too raw to even suggest he's "one of the best striking talents in the world" as @Vito Corleone put it.

Its these sorts of opinions which overrate our younger players. I wouldn't trust Rashford with a consistent run of games even next season. He still needs to work on his hold up play, decision making and get used to playing with his back to goal. A couple of nice runs and handful of goals doesn't make him one of the best talents straight away, not for me anyway.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
I think Welbeck is best used as a right wing back a la Victor Moses. Just let him run up and down on that right flank with his physique and energy.

3KDré

Rashford hasn't shown enough to justify that at all. People used to completely overhype Welbeck and many of our academy products too and look where it led them.
It's not just us who believe that though. Rashford wasn't far off the golden boy award.

Massive Spanner

It's not just us who believe that though. Rashford wasn't far off the golden boy award.
So what? He had a good breakthrough season. If you want potentially world class you should watch the likes of Dembele and Mbappe, and Martial last year. Rashford has shown nothing near the level of those.

prath92

So what? He had a good breakthrough season. If you want potentially world class you should watch the likes of Dembele and Mbappe, and Martial last year. Rashford has shown nothing near the level of those.
That's irrelevant. He has shown much more than welbeck had around the same period.

Sylar

Fitness related probably? He's just coming back from a very long injury and hasn't had much game time recently.
Its a weird one, he played in the FA Cup against southampton. Then didnt see him again for ages. And now theyve had 2 weeks off. And didnt look like he was huffing and puffing or struggling. It seemed more tactical esp with Giroud coming off as well.

Kag

Well, he has. He was starting as a central striker for Manchester United at the age of 18. At 19, he's a regular squad player under Jose Mourinho. It'd take a pretty ludicrous argument to argue against Rashford being one of the most promising 'striking talents' in European football.

Unless you're one of those fellas that can reel off a list of random no marks that may have once upon a time in recent memory scored two goals against Rio Ave or Dinamo Zagreb? To be fair, I doubt it.

Massive Spanner

Well, he has. He was starting as a central striker for Manchester United at the age of 18. At 19, he's a regular squad player under Jose Mourinho. It'd take a pretty ludicrous argument to argue against Rashford being one of the most promising 'striking talents' in European football.

Unless you're one of those fellas that can reel off a list of random no marks that may have once upon a time in recent memory scored two goals against Rio Ave or Dinamo Zagreb? To be fair, I doubt it.
For a brief period he was after he burst on to the scene, and now he's struggling this season.

He's a very promising European striking talent, sure, but that's not what he said, he said he's one of the best striking prospects in world football. Two very different statements.

Kag

For a brief period he was after he burst on to the scene, and now he's struggling this season.

He's a very promising European striking talent, sure, but that's not what he said, he said he's one of the best striking prospects in world football. Two very different statements.
Well, European football, world football, they're two of the same. Just because Rashford has played the majority of the season out wide and the goals have dried up doesn't negate his previous achievements. Nor does it negate the aesthetics of his game. There aren't many, if any, teenage strikers with a CV like Rashford's. Nor is there many with so much pace, power and natural ability. So, yeah, I think the initial point stands quite nicely.

Massive Spanner

Well, European football, world football, they're two of the same. Just because Rashford has played the majority of the season out wide and the goals have dried up doesn't negate his previous achievements. Nor does it negate the aesthetics of his game. There aren't many, if any, teenage strikers with a CV like Rashford's. Nor is there many with so much pace, power and natural ability. So, yeah, I think the initial point stands quite nicely.
Personally I'd prefer to not set silly expectations for our youngsters given our recent track record. If Rashford goes on to even be a really good PL level striker I'll be delighted, it'll still be a lot better than anything we've churned out in a long time. Plus I'm not sure how anyone can say he looks as talented as the likes of Martial, Dembele, or Mbappe. And no I don't watch the obscure leagues, I assume you don't either so it's kinda irrelevant.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID

The Manchester United sides he's been a part of haven't played like Manchester United sides should though. He was actually starting and is currently playing for a team deservedly outside the PL top four, which is quite a bit less impresssive.

Which isn't really an argument against Rashford, just against the notion that playing for us automatically makes someone a top talent when we haven't been a top team.

Kag

Personally I'd prefer to not set silly expectations for our youngsters given our recent track record. If Rashford goes on to even be a really good PL level striker I'll be delighted, it'll still be a lot better than anything we've churned out in a long time. Plus I'm not sure how anyone can say he looks as talented as the likes of Martial, Dembele, or Mbappe. And no I don't watch the obscure leagues, I assume you don't either so it's kinda irrelevant.
What expectations? I don't know what Rashford will achieve. I can only make a judgement based on what we've seen so far. And given that he's 19 years old, is extremely exciting and is already a big part of the Manchester United squad, he's quite clearly one of the most talented young strikers around. That doesn't mean he is as talented as Martial, or Dembele, or the other Dembele, or Mbappe. But it does put him in a very talented bracket of exciting young forwards.

Unless I'm missing somebody, outside of Rashford and the other names mentioned, which other teenagers are doing anything like what Rashford has been doing over the past year? I can't think of very many, if any at all.

fellaini's barber

Better than Martial and Rashford:lol:, I'm going to bed I can't do this, he'll be better than Ibra soon enough, all he has to do is stay injured

Last edited:

Ishdalar

Supports
Barcelona
He's a better striker than Martial and Rashford currently, but what does that say as he is mostly injured.
You mean the 26y/o guy that has scored 15 goals in 53 games for Arsenal is a far better striker than the 19 y/o that has scored 15 in 54 for Manchester United?

I'm shocked with the logic of the caf regarding Welbeck

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
You mean the 26y/o guy that has scored 15 goals in 53 games for Arsenal is a far better striker than the 19 y/o that has scored 15 in 54 for Manchester United?

I'm shocked with the logic of the caf regarding Welbeck
I'd rather have Welbeck than 2016/17 Rooney,Lingard or Young. Was gutted when we sold him.

SirScholes

He was a player with no end product when we sold him and nothing has changed, we have many players that "put in a shift" we need players that actually finish off moves

Revan

Assumptionman
I'd rather have Welbeck than 2016/17 Rooney,Lingard or Young. Was gutted when we sold him.
There is not much difference in quality between Lingard and Welbeck, and in any case, all three of Rooney, Lingard and Young are bit part players.

Lingard is actually a bit more reliable than Welbeck, considering that he is fit most of the time.

Lawman

There is not much difference in quality between Lingard and Welbeck, and in any case, all three of Rooney, Lingard and Young are bit part players.

Lingard is actually a bit more reliable than Welbeck, considering that he is fit most of the time.
There is a big gap between Lingard and Welbeck in my opinion. Welbeck is much better.

12OunceEpilogue

In perfect harmony
Scout
Of all the players we could be pining for, it's a bloke who is well known to lack killer instinct in front of goal.

He's a local lad and I like him as a player, but a good worker/average finisher is not the type of player we need.

Revan

Assumptionman
There is a big gap between Lingard and Welbeck in my opinion. Welbeck is much better.
I do not agree. They are both very average players who can do a job as squad players, nothing more than that.

Lawman

I do not agree. They are both very average players who can do a job as squad players, nothing more than that.
Whilst I do not disagree with you I think there is a massive gulf between both players.

Chaky_Best

Supports 'a joke of a club'.
It's when I see this Rooney, a poor Rashford and Martial that I regret him.

He could have played well with Ibra, on the wing, covering a lot of spaces (what Zlatan doesn't).

AXVnee7

Welbeck also has better heading and much better work rate.
Not sure about heading, but yeah I concede work rate. It is immense and he does follow instructions to the letter. I'm sure Jose would've loved him for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.