Danny Welbeck | 2011-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Since that other thread(as Top said) was for Danny's loan to Sunderland, I'm making a new thread.

So what's the expectations of him this season, so far has looked very good in the pre-season and Fergie has already confirmed that he isn't gonna go on loan this season.

The way he is playing personally I can't see him being 5th choice striker for much time longer.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
He'll move ahead of all our strikers, apart from Rooney, in the pecking order this season. I've been saying this for a while and I'm chuffed to bits at how well he's doing this preseason. Him and Rooney will emulate the Rooney-Saha partnership, with which we played our best attacking football in a long time.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
Looks an excellent prospect. Not trying to judge too early but my concern from tonights game is that he and Rooney seem to be making the exact same runs and movements etc, meaning they both end up in the same place.

Again, I know thats only from 45 minutes of one game, and from what ive seen this summer I think Welbeck will definitely have an impact this season - although with Hernandez, Rooney, Berbatov and Owen, his matchtime will probably still be somewhat limited.

Mick1991

He's been great tonight. He's very athletic but has got the technique to match.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
He's great. Provides a different option and will legitimately compete with Berbs and Hernandez.

Strictly in terms of team balance, if we were to line up in a 442 against a strong opposition then Rooney-Welbeck would be our most suitable strikeforce.

lem8sh

He'll move ahead of all our strikers, apart from Rooney, in the pecking order this season. I've been saying this for a while and I'm chuffed to bits at how well he's doing this preseason. Him and Rooney will emulate the Rooney-Saha partnership, with which we played our best attacking football in a long time.
Getting a bit carried away I think

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Getting a bit carried away I think
I don't think I am. It's not as though I've formed this opinion based on this game. I've thought he was the dogs bollocks even when many used to say he wouldnt make it here before his PNE loan. He's a better allround player than Hernandez and is far more suitable to our play than Berbatov.

Anyway, let's wait and see.

Valentino

every woman that watched the game tonight is probably dreaming of having his babies right now

Hal9000

He was great at Sunderland and has replicated that so far from Pre Season, shown far more than our Diouf and Macheda on this tour.

No offence to Owen or Berbatov, i would of liked to see one of them go, just so Welbeck can get more games, as thats what he needs. He's already a talent, he just needs to move up a level now.

His passing and movement were fantastic tonight i thought.

Sir Matt

Blue Devil
I hope he'll push Berbatov for the third spot behind Rooney and Hernandez. He'll be great cover.

Alwyn

Got rid of his pee
His control for his chance in the second half was fantastically well improvised, and his 1 touch flicks were intuitive, as per.

I really, really like Welbeck.

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
He's Ready to contribute for us this season I have no doubt about that.

I've always said he has everything in his locker to become a very special player, potentialy worldclass even and thats not just based on tonight it's based on his U21 performances, his time at sunderland and his current age and technical ability.

Talk of him displacing our main strikers this season is premature, but he has it in him to play a big part with the striker rotation that we will probably be employing next season. I'm over the moon we look like keeping him at OT this seeason.

mufcwarm92

We're worryingly well stocked up front for this season. Rooney, Chicharito, Berbatov, Welbeck, Owen, Macheda. I expect Diouf to leave, purely because he won't get game time ahead of that lot. Macheda will hopefully be loaned in the Premier League somewhere, it'll do him good.

TuTuHimm

Can definitely write definitely correctly
Been very impressed by him, matured a lot. He'll be challenging Owen for the fourth forward spot, yet they are very different players.

Ole's_toe_poke

Ole_Aged_Slow_Poke
He doesn't look like a man who wants to be loaned. He's been brilliant in preseason thus far.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Welbeck was really good tonight just a pity he couldn't bury his 1 on 1 with Valdes cos he deserved a goal. I know it was only a friendly but he certainly showed what he was about tonight and I really feel this could be a break out season for some of the youngsters who've gone on loan and have come back ready to do the business. Wouldn't have any issues with seeing Welbeck's name on the teamsheet next to one of our established forwards next year.

Heffo

If he starts scoring more goals I think he'd get in the team ahead of Berbatov and Hernandez no problem. However the fact is as of yet he doesn't score a huge amount while Hernandez can stop scoring.

The reason I made the first point is that in my opinion he suits United's style so well. He keeps up the tempo on counters and I like the way when he drops back he has the ability to play the ball to the right man and then spin off and make a run or he has the ability to turn his man by himself. He suits United's style more than Berbatov and in terms of all round game he is better than Hernandez. If he finds goals I'm convinced he'll be a star.

He looks so powerful, fast and tricky as a forward. He must be a nightmare for defences to deal with because they can't anticipate what he will do next. I believed he had the potential to be a first teamer and he sure does look like that now. What he needs to find is that clinical finishing in front of goal and Fergie will have a selection headache. Our striking options are looking very healthy this year and we should be glad for that.

Alwyn

Got rid of his pee
I've always been impressed by his first touch but the way over the last season he's married with with reading of the game and power makes me feel like we've got a truly special player now (as opposed to potentially special)
Yeah, he's always 1 step ahead with his first touch. He almost always builds his next move around the direction he controls the ball in which, at pace, is extremely effective.

Richter

Hairy big footed Swede
Oozes class but like others have said, if he wants to be a United player he must be more clinical.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
We have so many options upfrobt its unreal. He will fight for the 4th spot but i said before pre season i would prefer letting owen go and put Welbeck in

twitter thread suggester
He's going to be a star. His first touch last night was Berba-like.

In a way it's a shame we have so many great strikers - I want to see them all play regularly.

puNANI

He was great. I thought he would be a good player for us because I watched him regurlarly when he played for Sunderland but he looks even better now. Good touch, strength, vision, pace, link up and decent finishing(from what I've seen in the past)

WireRed

He'll overtake Berba and Owen as the next in line behind Rooney-Hernandez, and who knows, with Hernandez' lack of pre-season and tough summer along with teams being more aware of his ability, he may just find the new season a bit tougher going than last which would open the door for Danny. I found the mooted prospect of loaning him back out pointless and unrewarding for his contribution at Sunderland last season, I'm glad Fergie sees it the same way and I can only see him getting better for being here and getting the chances I think Fergie will always give a young player showing the form Welbeck has and with the talent he's got.

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
I think there is a lot more hope for him getting games this season than some realise due to his versatility. He played as lead striker for some of yesterdays game, but he can also play as trequrtista or Inside forward on either flank and alot of people missed it but he actually also played as a CM alongside Tom for about 10-20mins against MLS allstars.

Don't get me wrong i'm not suggesting that we play him as a CM(although in fairness he did a pretty good job there albeilt against average oposition) I do however think that his ability toplay/switch to any attacking position in a 4-2-3-1 formation could prove to be invaluable for us this season.

WireRed

I think there is a lot more hope for him getting games this season than some realise due to his versatility. He played as lead striker for some of yesterdays game, but he can also play as trequrtista or Inside forward on either flank and alot of people missed it but he actually also played as a CM alongside Tom for about 10-20mins against MLS allstars.

Don't get me wrong i'm not suggesting that we play him as a CM(although in fairness he did a pretty good job there albeilt against average oposition) I do however think that his ability toplay/switch to any attacking position in a 4-2-3-1 formation could prove to be invaluable for us this season.
Definately. The majority of his time at Sunderland was spent on the left to accomodate Bent and Gyan(sadly for Danny he got injured pretty much the moment Bent left)and he was putting in some great performances in a relatively unfamiliar role, as soon as they partnered him with Gyan for a few weeks when Bent was injured, it coincided with their best spell of form during last season including the 0-3 at Chelsea.

Taking into consideration the hectic summer Hernandez has had and the need for Giggs to become more or less a permanent CM, there is definately game time to be had for Welbeck this coming season and if he continues to develop as he is, he'll no doubt become a big player this season IMO.

mufcwarm92

It's great to have a forward player coming through the ranks, that hasn't happened for ages and it would be great for a local lad like Welbeck to break the duck. I agree that he should get good game time with his versatility and I'm looking forward to seeing him progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.