g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Danny Welbeck | 2011-14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adzzz

Astrophysical Genius - Hard for Grinner
Staff
I have to say, Welbeck is an incredibly gifted footballer. I expect him to make it at United, possibly in a big way.

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
He's no Sturridge though.
I know you're only joking but it's an inevitable comparison that will run and run. I've always said I'd take Welbeck over Sturridge, even when Sturridge was the 1 banging the goals in.

Sturridge plays for himself. He's far to greedy. He'll not make it at Chelsea and will probably go on to be a good striker at a good Premier League club. Welbeck is on the next level.

Hellboy

Sturridge will be a Darren Bent type of striker in the future, whereas Danny is far more cultured and technically gifted. It will be really exciting this season with him along with Macheda (hopefully) and Cleverley.

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
Sturridge could possibly become a pretty important player for chelsea this season under AVB's guidance, I get the feeling that he will be the kind of manager who actually helps to bridge(pun intended) the gap between Chelsea's ageing squad and the younger talents they have around the squad such as Obi mikel, Josh McEachran and sturridge himself.

Although having said that Welbeck is a far more talented player than Sturridge on just about every level other than finishing. He is more techincally gifted and a much more intelligent footballer. I certainly wouldn't swap Welbeck for Sturridge as Sturridge's main problem is that he is a central striker with decent techincal ability who has been shunted out to the flanks on many occasions because he has better players ahead of him centrally.

Whether Chelsea can make that his more natural position or find a home for him centrally remains to be seen.

datura

Sturridge will be a Darren Bent type of striker in the future, whereas Danny is far more cultured and technically gifted. It will be really exciting this season with him along with Macheda (hopefully) and Cleverley.
I think that's a poor comparison. Sturridge has a good eye for a pass, can beat a player, good shot from distance and a great touch. He's got far more to his game then Bent who is primarily a box player (and very good at it).

Welbeck looks more of a team player and better in the air and with his hold up play, but they are both good talents and England will hope they both fulfil their promise.

Hellboy

When I compared him to Bent, I meant that he won't make it in a big club IMO, he will be a good PL striker just like Bent is, whereas Welbeck has a chance thanks to his outstanding ability. I didn't necessarily refer to his footballing qualities.

Ace

With Hernandez out for the start of the season, I hope to see him get some serious minutes. I have a feeling he's still behind Owen in the pecking order (and rightfully so), but I'd like to see him given a proper run out. Exciting times ahead.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
It's good to see him getting the recognition that his talent deserves. I think he could be the most influential of the players that joined/returned from loan this summer. People are talking about his finishing also, which I think is due to him not scoring his chance last night, but I don't think theres a problem with this part of his game really. Or atleast, one that he doesn't have the ability to put right.

Alwyn

Got rid of his pee
:lol: that's amazing!

"What are you going to wear?"

Richter

Hairy big footed Swede
It's good to see him getting the recognition that his talent deserves. I think he could be the most influential of the players that joined/returned from loan this summer. People are talking about his finishing also, which I think is due to him not scoring his chance last night, but I don't think theres a problem with this part of his game really. Or atleast, one that he doesn't have the ability to put right.
His finishing/composure in front of goal has always been my biggest concern about him, then again the likes of Rooney,Ronaldo,Henry,Torres etc didn't score for fun at his age so it's hopefully something that will come with age and experience.

Fiskey

Can't stop thinking about David Nugent's hot naked
I've said it before and I'll say it again, he's going to be a top 10 world player, I really think he's very very special.

Shimo

That little back heel to himself from Nani's ball last night was class. There was another ball where he had run offside on De Gea clearance but, he took the ball in a Berba-esque manner down. He's really showing some great promise, hope he gets a chance in some meaningful games ahead of Owen.

johnmufc

I was ridiculed for saying he was a better footballer than Chicharito several months ago. Perhaps more people will begin to agree with me. Please do not misinterpret me, I think Chicharito is a a very effective player who suits us so well, but Welbeck has so much more to his game.

Welbeck can become an ideal modern forward, and Ferguson must give him at least 30 games next year. He is too good to have as a fringe player, and it is not fair on his development if he isn't given enough opportunities.

He deserves to start against City in the Community Shield, and I am confident he will impress.

pocco

loco
That little back heel to himself from Nani's ball last night was class. There was another ball where he had run offside on De Gea clearance but, he took the ball in a Berba-esque manner down. He's really showing some great promise, hope he gets a chance in some meaningful games ahead of Owen.
Welbeck's first touch has always been one of his strong points. This one in particular was my favourite

Dailymotion - sunchessv247 - a Tech & Science video

No chance.
Why?

Lance Uppercut

Why is he not going to be ahead of Berbatov in the pecking order this season? Are you serious?

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Why is he not going to be ahead of Berbatov in the pecking order this season? Are you serious?
I don't think he will be ahead of Berbatov by the end of the season but then people did say the same thing about Hernandez at the beginning of last year.

I reckon Danny will have a few issues over productivity to force his way in but he does have a lot of promise.

Lance Uppercut

I don't think he will be ahead of Berbatov by the end of the season but then people did say the same thing about Hernandez at the beginning of last year.

I reckon Danny will have a few issues over productivity to force his way in but he does have a lot of promise.
Agreed.

pocco

loco
Yes, I'm being serious. It wouldn't be as big a surprise as you make out. You even went on to agree with a post that mentions Hernandez, who looked an even bigger underdog this time last season.

Edit: I'm saying that Welbeck could overtake Berbatov in the pecking order this season, not to begin with.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
I might as well say it. Berbatov is a great player but he's not always consistent and he's not the best finisher in spite of his goals tally. Welbecks form for sunderland where he went on a scoring run, was something that didn't really happen for Berbatov. He was very patchy. So all these things people say Welbeck can improve on...

Lance Uppercut

Yes, I'm being serious. It wouldn't be as big a surprise as you make out. You even went on to agree with a post that mentions Hernandez, who looked an even bigger underdog this time last season.
I agreed with this:

Berbatov was the top scorer in the PL last season. Welbeck will be fighting to get past Owen.

pocco

loco
I agreed with this:

Berbatov was the top scorer in the PL last season. Welbeck will be fighting to get past Owen.
I edited my last post. Welbeck will show that he brings more to our game and, eventually, will overtake Berbatov. We all know the argument surrounding Berbatov's season last year, so I think Fergie will look past the goals and assess who is performing better for the team. Which I think will be Welbeck.

It'll be like the Nistelrooy/Saha situation all over again.

Lance Uppercut

I edited my last post. Welbeck will show that he brings more to our game and, eventually, will overtake Berbatov. We all know the argument surrounding Berbatov's season last year, so I think Fergie will look past the goals and assess who is performing better for the team. Which I think will be Welbeck.

It'll be like the Nistelrooy/Saha situation all over again.
I just saw your edit. He certainly could overtake Berbatov in the pecking order, but I don't believe it will be this season. Time will tell.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
So excited about Welbeck. My mate (a City fan) got it spot on yesterday when he said "he's such a United player".

Got great ability, fast and sometimes that bit of magic also. Hope he makes it as a starter at this club - will be a massive shame if he doesn't.

marjen

Desperately wants to be like Noodle
Don't know if this is posted, but what about this for a first touch: (at 3:42)

His first touch is absolutely brilliant, it takes him into so many good positions. Awareness seems to be really good.

Elliott

Likes Loan Stickies
Missed the US games as they happened so I'm watching them now in random order. Just done with the Chicago match, Danny was class. Underrated passer of the ball.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Got nothing but good things to say about Welbeck. He's really coming on strong. I had my doubts about him before last season but he really blossomed under Bruce at Sunderland and since he's returned to United he's shown no signs of slowing down. Happy to have him in the squad he's got goals in him and is a nice player of the ball too.

Status
Not open for further replies.