Danny Welbeck | Arsenal player

Status
Not open for further replies.

Revan

Assumptionman
Giroud is a far better number 9. There's a certain Arsenal fan in this thread who just won't accept it.
He's usually wrong on a lot of football matters now. With Moyes gone, his honeymoon of trolling us has finished.

That doesn't mean that I don't like pete though. He's still a great poster!

Ole240599

Good lad Welbeck made the right move in the summer. He was never going to make it as the main striker with us.

MDFC Manager

Let's see how long it takes for him to start bitching about playing out wide. Giroud will start at Striker.
Based on the performances of their wide players, he'd be lucky to not go directly onto their bench.

Robbie Boy

He's usually wrong on a lot of football matters now. With Moyes gone, his honeymoon of trolling us has finished.

That doesn't mean that I don't like pete though. He's still a great poster!
Haha, Pete is quality. It's actually Mogget.

OneUnited24

Was very poor today, i was expecting a player full of confidence trying to show his old club what they are missing. Instead we saw the player that featured a lot in a United shirt...

Joga Bonito

The Art of Football
He has got good workrate, strength, hold up play, link up place and basically a decent all round package but isn't prolific. Seems like someone who seems suited to playing behind a prolific but fairly limited striker.

He just isn't capable of spearheading an attack and it doesn't make sense. Unless he suddenly develops the ability to be a ruthless finisher or he has a wiry goalscoring second striker/playmaker (Baggio for eg) who can't lead the line themselves and is playing behind him. Or he could do a decent imitation of the Benzema role (not to the same quality) with 2 goalscoring wide players (Walcott-Sanchez) cutting in. Even then you need your striker to put away chances esp in tight matches. He just can't seem to do it atm.

Someone

Something
His overall game is really good, he's just not clinical enough and for arsenal it's more of the same, they create plenty of chances and they need someone to put the ball in the net.

The United Irishman

"Martial is championship material at best"
Didn't notice him in the second half, can't even remember him touching the ball for all the possession the Arse had (second half) him or Sanchez.

OneUnited24

I still reckon he'd make a really good #10.
Personally i think thats his perfect position, but you wouldn't have him in that role ahead of a lot of number 10s.

I'm probably doing him a major disservice today but he looked like a more technically gifted Heskey than a Henry

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Possibly but only in the traditional sense, unfortunately for him nowadays most teams don't play with two strikers and so he could see himself being shunted out wide again. Considering his pace and talent he should be doing better than he has done in that role as well.

Enigma_87

You know who
Quite Welbeck performance today. 10 games 2 goals in Prem this season. I pretty much doubt he'll get to double digits up until the end of the season, especially when he gets shifter out wide in the coming weeks.

Phil

He's basically doing exactly what he did for us with more media focus on him.

thepolice123

Giroud came on and scored in like 10 minutes. Welbeck will probably be dropped or shifted out wide once Giroud returns to full fitness.

Rednotdead

Welbeck simply couldn't have scored the goal Giroud scored. To my mind the future looks bleak for him, I don't see him holding down a first team place while Giroud is around. Yesterday was a United performance in an Arsenal shirt, and should have shown people once and for all why we were right in selling him, even to one of our rivals.

Welbeck's all-round game is good, but the one quality that makes a top striker is missing - the ability to put the ball in the net. That's the premier purpose of a striker, everything else is secondary.

Swaters16

He's in trouble for sure. Giroud back a month early and scores on return (a pretty good goal too) and a couple of brilliant wide options to compete with. He's going back to the bench and/or being second choice.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Same old welbeck really. He's decent in a lot of things, but also lacks a lot of qualities to actually nail down a position. He's not deadly in the box, doesn't have good movement going forwards and generally fluffs his chances so isn't cut out to be a striker. He's not creative and doesn't really make chances along with not scoring so isn't a #10, and isn't a dribbler so can't go past players unless he justold does the kick and run method, so isn't a winger. Just lacks vital qualities for whatever he does and ultimately why he'll end up settling as a starter at a midtable team pretty much. Tottenham/everton level definitely his max, even that's too high probably.

Revan

Assumptionman
I doubt it. He could do the pitbull job well from that position (like when he did a very good job against Alonso) but on most games, from number 10 it is required something different. Welbeck isn't intelligient enough, nor has a good passing range to play that position.

Acole9

Outstanding
Started off brightly but as soon as Giroud came on he faded into obscurity.

UweBein

Creator of the Worst Analogy on the Internet.
Supports
Chelsea
Welbeck simply couldn't have scored the goal Giroud scored. ....
Welbeck's all-round game is good, but the one quality that makes a top striker is missing - the ability to put the ball in the net. That's the premier purpose of a striker, everything else is secondary.
Couldn't agree more. Still he might get the time to develop into a better striker under Wenger.
Wenger does tend to stick to players and doesn't drop them easily.

Mister_Stubbs

Typical Danny Welbeck performance, lots of running around, a very neat touches but poor fishing. Now with Giroud back he's place in the side could be under threat.

I bet LVG feels some what justified this morning.

Dante

Average bang
Typical Danny Welbeck performance, lots of running around, a very neat touches but poor fishing. Now with Giroud back he's place in the side could be under threat.

I bet LVG feels some what justified this morning.
Justified that he kept RvP instead?

Mister_Stubbs

Justified that he kept RvP instead?
RvP didn't have a good game yesterday and is fair to say he has had a poor start to the season. That said if we need a goal and the chance was to fall to either of them, I'd much rather it be falling to Robins foot than Dannys.

finneh

Yesterday epitomised why a team won't win the league with Welbeck as the main centre forward. Gets two 50/50 chances and fluffs them both.

Whether you think he did better than RVP is irrelevant, as if RVP doesn't improve he'll be binned as well.

Dante

Average bang
RvP didn't have a good game yesterday and is fair to say he has had a poor start to the season. That said if we need a goal and the chance was to fall to either of them, I'd much rather it be falling to Robins foot than Dannys.
Van Persie's finishing has been wank this season. And he offers so much less than Welbeck on the rest of the pitch.

It's like some people think that a striker's only responsibility is in the 6 yard box. DW brings others into play and stretches defences so that his teammates have more opportunities. I reckon a Welbeck+Rooney partnership would result in more goals for the team as a whole than a RvP+Rooney partnership. Of course, there's no way of proving that, but it's true to say we always played better as an XI whenever Welbeck was on the pitch.

R'hllor

I said before,will say it again,good luck to him,even i think if he wanted,he could move abroad instead of playing for other PL top team.Anyway,if things stay the same when it comes to Arsenal,last night he could see his future there,he might play more or score more but if he cares,looking around whats going on the pitch,he will be frustrated as hell just like Arsenal fans last night.

Mister_Stubbs

Van Persie's finishing has been wank this season. And he offers so much less than Welbeck on the rest of the pitch.

It's like some people think that a striker's only responsibility is in the 6 yard box. DW brings others into play and stretches defences so that his teammates have more opportunities. I reckon a Welbeck+Rooney partnership would result in more goals for the team as a whole than a RvP+Rooney partnership. Of course, there's no way of proving that, but it's true to say we always played better as an XI whenever Welbeck was on the pitch.
Danny Welbeck does a lot for the team I agree, he is also very selfless and sacrifices himsslf to do a lot of work for the team which of course he's team mates benefit from. On the other hand he wants everyone to see him as an out and out centre forward but i don't think he has that ruthlessness about him, he's finishing as we saw many times and at times yesterday is not a top level strikers class. He will undoubtedly improve but so will James Wilson who already has shown many qualities not at least he's finishing who LvG decided out of the two to keep around as fourth choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.