Danny Welbeck | Arsenal player

Status
Not open for further replies.

coolredwine

lameredboots
Errr... yeah.... he wanted to leave before LvG joined. Then wanted to stay and fight until van Gaal forced him out.

Dated the exact same day
'I heard the news (about Van Gaal's appointment) and I am happy,' said Welbeck, who scored 11 times for United last year after starting just 24 matches in all competitions.

"He is a great man, a great manager. Looking at his CV tells you he has managed at some big clubs."
That's all?

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Just goes to show how much of a panic buy it was for Arsenal that Wenger was out reffing a charity game when Welbeck was signed in the last hour of deadline day and this guy is supposed to be some sort of world class footballer.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Errr... yeah.... he wanted to leave before LvG joined. Then wanted to stay and fight until van Gaal forced him out.

Dated the exact same day
Fight for what exactly? He was never going to get past Rvp Falcao and Rooney. Even if the 1st two didnt work out, Rooney is miles better aplayer Welbeck is and likes playing upfront. This move was good for Manchester United and for DAnny Welbeck.

Dante

Average bang
Fight for what exactly? He was never going to get past Rvp Falcao and Rooney. Even if the 1st two didnt work out, Rooney is miles better aplayer Welbeck is and likes playing upfront. This move was good for Manchester United and for DAnny Welbeck.
Falcao was bought before Welbeck was sold. We've been playing two up front all season, with Rooney in behind. He wouldn't have needed to fight and would have been a huge asset on the counter.

2mufc0

Everything is fair game in capitalism!
Supports
Dragon of Dojima
Footballers are always evasive and talk in double-speak. As evidenced by your link.

Praising a new manager is as good as it gets. The idea that he forced his way out is no more likely than the idea that LvG forced him out.
Haha this is gold.

I don't think anyone forced anyone out, it was a mutual decision which was best for both parties.

coolredwine

lameredboots
Footballers are always evasive and talk in double-speak. As evidenced by your link.

Praising a new manager is as good as it gets. The idea that he forced his way out is no more likely than the idea that LvG forced him out.
There you go then. Albeit goal.com, it still has quotes.

Dante

Average bang
They take the interview in which Wenger said he was in Rome to meet the pope (and finalised all the Welbeck details before he left) and turn it into nonsense.
According to Wenger:

“The moment they bought Falcao they had to let somebody go and I was not aware at the start when I heard that he could be available. It was quick because it was on the last day of the transfer window and I had no hesitation to do it."

Dante

Average bang
There you go then. Albeit goal.com, it still has quotes.
He would have stayed, but for the Falcao transfer and LvG giving him a vote of no confidence on the last day of the window. The fact he considered leaving during the Moyes era is neither here nor there.

If Welbeck had really forced his way out, it would have happened in August, not after another striker was bought at the last second of the window.

MDFC Manager

They take the interview in which Wenger said he was in Rome to meet the pope (and finalised all the Welbeck details before he left) and turn it into nonsense.
Anything to suit the narrative, basically. Welbeck's agent would have been in touch with clubs all summer long. He'd be a massive idiot if he wasn't.

Falcao was bought before Welbeck was sold. We've been playing two up front all season, with Rooney in behind. He wouldn't have needed to fight and would have been a huge asset on the counter.
No, he'd have been on the bench.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
I just can't understand why United or LVG would force him out, this whole idea seems to make no sense. Way before the Falcao link started it was out in the media that United wanted him to go to a smaller club (maybe on loan) but Welbeck was adamant on Spurs or Arsenal.

jeff_goldblum

Whilst I think games such as Saturday's somewhat explain why Danny leaving wasn't seen as a disaster by our management (he was undoubtedly pretty wasteful when Arsenal needed goals), by my reckoning it was exactly the kind of game where I think he would have excelled for us.

I don't think it was necessarily a disaster us selling him, but when we did we lost a player with attributes that our other strikers don't have and left us with 2 very similar strikers who both seem to be glued into the first XI. Despite his obvious shortcomings, his pace and workrate would've helped a lot against Arsenal. And of course with the benefit of hindsight, Van Persie's not been particularly prolific so far this season whilst his all-round game has also been poor. Whether Danny would have stuck around as a back-up 'offering something different' option is up for the debate of course. My suspicion is no, I don't think we particularly forced him out or that he particular forced a move, by all accounts I reckon he saw the way the wind was blowing and the club were happy to let him move on.

coolredwine

lameredboots
He would have stayed, but for the Falcao transfer and LvG giving him a vote of no confidence on the last day of the window. The fact he considered leaving during the Moyes era is neither here nor there.

If Welbeck had really forced his way out, it would have happened in August, not after another striker was bought at the last second of the window.
This is the highest level of football we are talking about here. He didn't show anything in training to impress LvG, and hence he was sold. Also, going by his words, he himself says that he contemplated on the decision for a year.

reelworld

Is there any manager in the world that prefer Danny Welbeck than Falcao?

Ole knew where the net was.
touche

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
I was surprised by how cold everyone was in the tunnel pre match, maybe he had met the United lads already because it just seemed bizarre that there were no handshakes etc at all.

Dante

Average bang
Anything to suit the narrative, basically. Welbeck's agent would have been in touch with clubs all summer long. He'd be a massive idiot if he wasn't.
According to Wenger:

“The moment they bought Falcao they had to let somebody go and I was not aware at the start when I heard that he could be available. It was quick because it was on the last day of the transfer window and I had no hesitation to do it."

No, he'd have been on the bench.
Falcao's been injured all season, mate. We've had to play Januzaj and Di Maria up there at times. Welbeck would have got in ahead of them.

MDFC Manager

According to Wenger:

And? That still doesn't mean he wasn't in touch with clubs.

Dante

Average bang
This is the highest level of football we are talking about here. He didn't show anything in training to impress LvG, and hence he was sold. Also, going by his words, he himself says that he contemplated on the decision for a year.
Yes, so it was LvG who wanted him gone.

If Welbeck were that insistent on leaving, he would have left in August, not the final hours of September 1st.

Dante

Average bang
And? That still doesn't mean he wasn't in touch with clubs.
It also doesn't mean he isn't the reincarnation of Marilyn Monroe. Irrelevant.

The deal was done late on the last day of window. It wasn't forced through earlier, which that counts against your own concocted narrative that he was in contact with clubs all summer long.

MDFC Manager

It also doesn't mean he isn't the reincarnation of Marilyn Monroe. Irrelevant.

The deal was done late on the last day of window. It wasn't forced through earlier, which that counts against your own concocted narrative that he was in contact with clubs all summer long.
Ok.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú

If Welbeck were that insistent on leaving, he would have left in August, not the final hours of September 1st.
LVG has a reputation of being great with young players and he wanted time to check every player out so there was no question of Welbeck leaving early. Once LVG made it clear to him what his role would be he decided that he didn't want to stay and even though United didn't want to let him go to Arsenal, once we got Falcao we let him go. This seems to be to be the most likely scenario

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I often wonder whether we would have had a 'Welbeck' case back at the beginning/mid of SAF's reign. At that time playing with United was an honor and players who were much more useful then Welbeck such as Nicky Butt, Philip Neville and Ole would rather sit on the bench then go elsewhere. Anyone hinting just a bit of bad attitude were quickly shipped away. We're talking here about world class articles (or at least players with great potential) such as Ince, Kanchelskis, Gillespie and even David Beckham who was first replaced by Ole and then shipped for 25m to Real. Such mentality had a ripple effect on the first team who were kept on their toes and had to either perform or risk losing their place. Even those who did perform weren't 100% sure that next season they would have a guaranteed first team place. (ex Hughes-Cole, Cole-RVN and JSV-Scholes).

I know that I may sound like a broken record however I often ask myself if this generation had it too easy. Jones were labelled the new Edwards because of some good games. Ando is close to a testimonial despite having done jack shit for the past half a decade. Back in the 90s the likes of Valencia, Fellaini and Young would have only entered United side as paid guests as we were treated with exquisite football from the likes of Giggs, Keane, Scholes, Ince and Kanchelskis. Under such circumstances maybe there's a reason why a raw but talented player (nowhere near to the best/mid Fergie Babes mind) may have gone cocky. The level of being a United player had plummeted throughout the years.

coolredwine

lameredboots

LvG said at the beginning itself that he would have a look at everyone before selling any player. If you notice, almost everyone (loan or otherwise), left us quite late.

villain

Hates Beyoncé

Doesn't mean that at all.

Lots of players have forced moves away from their clubs in the dying moments of the transfer window - its one of the reasons why deadline day is exciting.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
does it really matter whether he was pushed or asked to go??

He's gone, my personal opinion is that we should have kept him, especially if we were planning to ship out Hernandez and only bring in Falcao.
Falcao is recovering from a major injury, had no pre-season, RVP has been off his game for more than a year now and has a dodgy injury history
that leaves Rooney on his own, with an untried youngster.

Until such times as United start playing better, with fluidity and goals, I cant accept that we've made the right choice on this one. How will i forget about it? Get Falcao banging in goals ASAP or get a new striker in who does the business.

freshibal

the ultimate combination is genius and insanity
after the move there was a few interviews with him where he has slight digs at the club here and there. and i don't think iv seen any sort of thank you to the fans or the club for the development since, feels like the whole thing has been a bitter affair for both player and club.

You can say its warranted etc.. but it just leaves a sour taste considering how long he had been with us.

RedStarUnited

does it really matter whether he was pushed or asked to go??

He's gone, my personal opinion is that we should have kept him, especially if we were planning to ship out Hernandez and only bring in Falcao.
Falcao is recovering from a major injury, had no pre-season, RVP has been off his game for more than a year now and has a dodgy injury history
that leaves Rooney on his own, with an untried youngster.

Until such times as United start playing better, with fluidity and goals, I cant accept that we've made the right choice on this one. How will i forget about it? Get Falcao banging in goals ASAP or get a new striker in who does the business.
Falcao has already recovered from that injury, he had a whole other injury unrelated to that one. RVP has only been bad this season, he was not missing chances etc last season.

Welbeck was never going to be the main striker here, that is why he isn't here. LVG didn't want to sell him remember? He was meant to go on loan but Danny himself pushed for a permanent move.

He is probably about to be pushed into a Left wing/forward role at Arsenal anyway, which is ironic really. Sturidge/Rooney are considered better strikers than him too for England, so when they are available he wont play up top. He really needs to accept sooner or later that he is a better winger/forward than a main striker. He simply doesn't have the finishing ability to play up there.

No11

Supports
Aberdeen
I was surprised by how cold everyone was in the tunnel pre match, maybe he had met the United lads already because it just seemed bizarre that there were no handshakes etc at all.
Thats the way it should be, shake hands after the game.
All this hugging and kissing before a game is embarassing.

MDFC Manager

£30m for a "striker" who doesn't score and will be shunted out wide or to the bench now their proper striker is back?

£16m was good business on our part.
So far it's been really good business. In the future it could go either way but it's hardly anything to worry about.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Sturidge/Rooney are considered better strikers than him too for England, so when they are available he wont play up top. He really needs to accept sooner or later that he is a better winger/forward than a main striker. He simply doesn't have the finishing ability to play up there.
knock him for his club stats but you really cant knock his record at international level so far

Status
Not open for further replies.