Danny Welbeck | Arsenal player

Status
Not open for further replies.

FromTheBench

Van Gaal has taken a big call with this. Could end up being a real Weight on his shoulders as the season goes on.

Litch

Always amazes me how fans on here want their cake and eat it. In Europe it happens are the time but the world keeps turning. I loved Danny but I never felt he was top draw like some forwards we had here. I'm not talking about scoring goals, I'm talking about goals that win big games. He's a great squad player and I'm sure he'll do well for Arsenal. We need more than Danny right about now and trust me if Wilson lives up to his potential, this lad could be something very, very special.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Always amazes me how fans on here want their cake and eat it. In Europe it happens are the time but the world keeps turning. I loved Danny but I never felt he was top draw like some forwards we had here. I'm not talking about scoring goals, I'm talking about goals that win big games. He's a great squad player and I'm sure he'll do well for Arsenal. We need more than Danny right about now and trust me if Wilson lives up to his potential, this lad could be something very, very special.

If only we had a local lad who'd scored at Madrid.

Mali_Zeus

He'll be first choice up front. Our three will be competing for spots. Rooney will be playing pretty deep most of the time. Welbeck will suit Arsenal's style of play and they will create a bucket of chances with Sanchez, Ozil, Ramsey, Ox and Walcott. I'm not saying I agree that Welbeck will outscore them but it's hardly that outlandish a claim.
Well I think if everything goes well he wont even outscore Falcao. But that's just me. He's a good player and I was against his sale but people are saying like he's suddenly a world beater.

Sam

I'm so fecked off right now. Just as I thought I was getting over it as well.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I reckon Welbeck will outscore them all.
Good chance that he will, as he'll be basically arsenals main striker and only goalscoring player. Or one of the few. At united, there's the 3 strikers, mata and probably di Maria to chip in with a few. Welbeck is a good player but he didn't have enough to force himself in front of our other strikers. And you can't drop the better players just because you have faith he'll come good.

Kag

Probably not that he's that poor in front of goal. More that he's slightly less accomplished there than he is in the rest of his game.
I've read two or three comments now that are insinuating this is nothing new, and that he will go back to missing chances the week after just like he did at United. That is simply untrue, and has been for a while now. His movement inside the box has been a bigger issue, and you'd think that will improve now he gets to play up top every week.

santeria13

Sublemon
So did United.

I'm gonna say it, but Welbeck is now a better player then Rooney. Seriously.
Agreed although I think it will take the length of this season to really let that sink into peoples heads. Maybe even less, if both continue in their current form.

C'est Moi Cantona

Welbeck's goals tonight were about as predictable as people's knee jerk reaction on here.

Fact is LvG deemed him surplus to requirements, so that's good enough for me.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
How much longer are we going to hear about that goal?
I suspect it's because it's the only meaningful goal he has scored in the last 2 years.

Anyway I am a bit gutted we sold Welbeck but what can you do. I would have sold Rooney last year as I think his peak is gone.

J-Stander

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I'm off to watch Falcao's top 20 goals again to make myself feel better.

MUFCpiffgawd

Can you lot stop posting those dumb Piers MOrgan tweets? It hurts my brain to read them.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Welbeck's goals tonight were about as predictable as people's knee jerk reaction on here.

Fact is LvG deemed him surplus to requirements, so that's good enough for me.
It's hardly knee jerk when it's the exact same opinions people were expressing a week ago....

Herman Van Rompuy

Bears False Witness
Why is everybody so pained by this? I wasn't impressed by him tonight. Messed up an easy opportunity to play in Sterling and his first goal was what I'd expect any striker to do on the break. Rooney and Sterling both made more impressive contributions to that goal.

Nothing's changed. The fact remains that Welbeck never did it for us, so we can't be angry at the manager.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
Don't worry - we're loaded, if he comes good we'll just buy him back when RVP retires!

Lennon7

nipple flasher and door destroyer
He's always been more clinical for England, I'd say. Didn't he have 6 in 7 games in the run up to the World Cup? Something like that anyway. Does well for England because he plays where he wants to play.

I'd like to see him do well at Arsenal but I hope he doesn't start coming out with things like United were holding him back and blaming the club for his lack of development.
I also hope Arsenal fans don't start rubbing it in should he do well because we generally wouldn't give a shit!

bdecuc

So did United.

I'm gonna say it, but Welbeck is now a better player then Rooney. Seriously.
Yeah there's been an argument for that for at least a year for me. Welbeck has just needed the chance to show it.

MUFCpiffgawd

Why is everybody so pained by this? I wasn't impressed by him tonight. Messed up an easy opportunity to play in Sterling and his first goal was what I'd expect any striker to do on the break. Rooney and Sterling both made more impressive contributions to that goal.

Nothing's changed. The fact remains that Welbeck never did it for us, so we can't be angry at the manager.
come off it. Rooney, Welbeck and Sterling played well and that's that. They pressed all game and still had the energy to counter-attack to score a goal. The only glaring surprise is that Delph comfortably outperformed Wilshere on the night.

Traub

The problem for me is the fact we've sold him to the team with which we're most likely to be fighting it out for champions league football. It's bizarre. Rather let him go on a free to Europe than sell him to Arsenal.

m1y2

Well compare the two strikers performances tonight. One - the captain of the England side played well tonight, hopefully he will maintain his form when he plays for his club and the second striker welbeck played well and scored two. Guess who was better? I'd maintain the goalscorer in the team then someone who may try hard but never looks like hes scoring. Mr. Rooney had four chances to score..

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Yup. What really fecks me off is that you could see it coming together last season. Which makes the timing of his exit so hard to take. Either Van Gaal didn't listen to the right people or the right people gave him the wrong advice. I guess this is the sort of thing that happens when you get on the managerial merry-go-round. Really cocking annoying though.
The problem is that Welbeck wanted to be first choice and didn't feel like being just a squad player anymore, and you can't blame him. Sure plenty of fans on here would prefer we just drop Rooney and Van Persie just to give him the spot up front, but no sane manager would do that. Because of that, the only thing that could happen with Welbeck was him leaving, it just sucks that it was to Arsenal.

He probably will turn into a top striker, not world class but a very good one. Good enough for United too. Right player, just the wrong time at United IMO. Had he been a few years younger there would be no problem with him I think.

C'est Moi Cantona

It's hardly knee jerk when it's the exact same opinions people were expressing a week ago....
Some yes, not all though, and certainly not me.

Time is the only thing that will tell if LvG was right, but I was not sad to see him go, he frustrated the life out of me when he played for us, & he was never going to get the main striker role at United which will apparently see him bloom, so he had to go.

Sam

Well compare the two strikers performances tonight. One - the captain of the England side played well tonight, hopefully he will maintain his form when he plays for his club and the second striker welbeck played well and scored two. Guess who was better? I'd maintain the goalscorer in the team then someone who may try hard but never looks like hes scoring. Mr. Rooney had four chances to score..
Welbeck's a better player.

iBoss

i-ttack the space
Illuminati headquarters, chillin' with Jay Z.

Because there are people on here who believe he can become a top forward. Him scoring two goals in an away qualifier whilst playing up front is going to pain you if you like and believe in him. He gave 100% whilst he was here and came from the academy. He is very talented. To see him at Arsenal hurts.

He obviously had a lot to give if SAF played him in the Bayern and Real ties. He played well in both. He will not hide and continues to try different things to create for his team. That is why he will keep getting better and will be a top forward in the PL.

RexHamilton

Gumshoe for hire
Piers Morgan is right to gloat. His team has got a good player here. He's obviously exaggerating because he's excited and to piss off United fans. That's understandable. We were drooling over Di Maria's performance against Germany, he's entitled to do likewise.

Well I think if everything goes well he wont even outscore Falcao. But that's just me. He's a good player and I was against his sale but people are saying like he's suddenly a world beater.
As I said, I think you're right, but I just don't think it's that unreasonable to suggest Welbeck could outscore our forwards given he is likely going to be the focal point of a team that creates as many chances as Arsenal do, while we have three strikers competing for two places at most.

Status
Not open for further replies.