Dare to dream

saivet

Even if Chelsea did implode, I think Arsenal would win it rather than us. They're in great form and have relatively nice fixtures.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
We've got a greater chance of finishing 5th then winning the league. Pull it together man!

finneh

Chelsea could lose half of their remaining games and still finish top. I don't believe anyone apart from Chelsea will even hit 80 points this season.

Hemil

Supports
Chelsea
this thread reminds me of that Michael Essien's "we can still win the league" rant in 07'
We were closer that time than you are now. We finished 6 points behind at the end. We drew our last 5 premier league games whereas United lost 2 and drew 1 game. So, it was only a 4 point gap with 5 games to go.

Rezyuz

Even tough its highly unlikely that we have any chance to win the league.

I'd stil like to remind you guys of last time City won the cup and we just blew a what was it? 11 point? lead in 4 weeks.

Adebesi

Once or twice I have allowed myself to consider that we could win the title but I prefer my fantasies to be a bit more realistic, so on the whole I have consigned myself to dreaming of coming second.

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Getting top 4 is enough for me, even that at Christmas looked very bleak. We will re-arm this summer and hit them all hard, I can feel it :drool:

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Going from 7th to potentially 2nd and having a top manager leading a massive assault on the league and CL next year with a few more top signings is more than enough for me.

Someone

Something
I think we'll finish 4th and i'm content with that, 3rd would be great, 2nd would be a fantastic achievement this season.

Winning the league isn't gonna happen.

ItsEssexRob

Has a slight gambling problem
Supports
Chelsea
I wouldn't say it's 'mad' in the slightest. An unpopular opinion? Maybe. But I think mad is a bit unfair.

If you consider the Arsenal's last 19 games, we've accumulated 8 more points than Chelsea in that time (albeit with 1 game more played - so the equivalent of 5 if you win your game in hand). This also greatly coincides with the return from injury of key players to our team like Ozil, Koscielny and Ramsey. Not to mention we had Monreal playing centre back for multiple games as well as not having our first choice RB available hardly ever throughout the season. With all players fit and firing, I think Arsenal are more impressive and the better team. Arsenal have just less than four times as much injuries combined as Chelsea this season and we've coped remarkably. We have depth that you don't have in the attack. We have a better attack this season (the only player from your attacking department I'd take right now for our first team is Hazard).

I will say though, that I would always fancy Chelsea to beat Arsenal in a head-to-head match. It doesn't mean you are the better team though - we have a manager committed to playing expansive football 'the right way' as he sees it, which obviously is a complete contrast to your manager and therefore we often lose the tactical battle. If you know Arséne, he'd never want to change his style because of this and if you listen to any of an abundance of interviews you'll hear him explain why he sticks rigidly to his method of expansive attacking football.

Anyway, I'd accept you calling the opinion 'mad' if Chelsea were really good but they aren't. Just (in your eyes) the best of a bad bunch.. and any proper team in the Champions League would comfortably beat you guys this season.
It is mad saying Chelsea arent the best team in this league because we are if we win the game in hand 10 points clear of everyone. Thats not the kind of 2 point gap that one bad or good decision might make. You cant be 10 points clear and not be the best team, and you also cant pick and choose portions of the season in which to judge it upon.

Trizy

It is mad saying Chelsea arent the best team in this league because we are if we win the game in hand 10 points clear of everyone. Thats not the kind of 2 point gap that one bad or good decision might make. You cant be 10 points clear and not be the best team, and you also cant pick and choose portions of the season in which to judge it upon.
Overall I think they've been the better team but during the past couple of months they've been far off it. I can't say I agree that they're not the best in the league but the best teams in the league don't always necessarily win it. (United 2013)

ItsEssexRob

Supports
Chelsea
Overall I think they've been the better team but during the past couple of months they've been far off it. I can't say I agree that they're not the best in the league but the best teams in the league don't always necessarily win it. (United 2013)
Of course, over any given period one might be better and theres no denying Arsenal and United have both been better than us in the past 3 months, but thats not what makes the best team at all.

The best team almost always wins it, United were clearly the best team in 2013, they won it by a mile, how can they not be?

The Purist

Supports
Arsenal
@ItsEssexRob you established that lead at a time when we were missing many key players and I think that results since we've got them back are more representative of the true abilities of the teams.

ItsEssexRob

Supports
Chelsea
@ItsEssexRob you established that lead at a time when we were missing many key players and I think that results since we've got them back are more representative of the true abilities of the teams.
All hypothetical though, we've had more injuries in recent times. Like I say you might have a point if we were 2 or 3 points ahead.

thelemon

We'd probably have to win every game as well as see a huge Chelsea implosion. I can't see either of those happening at all, so no chance is the answer to the OP. It would be hilarious though to see the entire footballing world go into fecking meltdown! 2nd is a very real possibility however.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
We'd probably have to win every game as well as see a huge Chelsea implosion. I can't see either of those happening at all, so no chance is the answer to the OP. It would be hilarious though to see the entire footballing world go into fecking meltdown! 2nd is a very real possibility however.
We are definitely capable of winning every game. Chelsea still have to play Liverpool, Arsenal and Ourselves....

Dare to dream

Krovv

RedCafe Verified
Supports
Arsenal
All hypothetical though, we've had more injuries in recent times. Like I say you might have a point if we were 2 or 3 points ahead.
This thread is for unrealistic slightly mad dreamers. No point trying to rationalise here IMHO. When I was in the newbs, Arsenal were having a terrible season - think it was that season when we beat Bayern 0-2 at their stadium. Someone "predicted" that Arsenal just need a great run to finish top four. True enough, we went on a sensational run that started with beating Tottenham 5-2 and ended the season with a series of 1-0 wins. And finished fourth IIRC. In that case that dream was plausible. In this case, it isn't. :)

This post isn't meant to be a dig at all the "dare to dream" posters, please don't take it that way.

Fully Fledged

I thought that it was funny on Sky Sports today said that City or us couldn't catch Chelsea but would Arsenal be able to catch them. There's 1 point difference between us and Arsenal if we don't stand a chance neither does Arsenal.

NoLogo

Not going to happen this season but next season it's on. We sadly started with our run too late as it took LvG too long to find a working formation and team or the players too long to understand what he wanted from them. It would be great though if we really managed to get second.

Verminator

Maybe if the sat-nav on Chelsea ' s coach goes haywire, and they end up at the wrong ground three times...
Or they do a Liverpool and try to get all their players suspended at the same time...
But even then, we'd still need to do our bit.

Second it is then.

C'est Moi Cantona

I'm not thinking like this at all, guarantee me fourth now and I'd bite your hand off.

I have nightmares of Liverpool closing us down again and us missing out, no fourth will do fine anything higher a bonus.

JoaquinJoaquin

If we won the league it would be the most surprising thing i've seen in the Premier League, Put it that way.

JoaquinJoaquin

Even more than City clawing back 8 points with 6 games to go and then winning it by scoring a 93rd minute goal?
I think so, Yes. And that is seriously saying something.

We have been awful for a good majority of the season, So if we were to come back by some miracle now and take the league it would have to take top honors.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
Even if Chelsea did implode, I think Arsenal would win it rather than us. They're in great form and have relatively nice fixtures.
Unfortunately have to agree with this, and if by stretch Chelsea are guaranteed champions I can see both Arsenal and United playing for a draw in the fixture against each other, too much to lose.

thelemon

We are definitely capable of winning every game. Chelsea still have to play Liverpool, Arsenal and Ourselves....

Dare to dream
Oh we're capable alright, I just can't see it happening. Maybe we'll go unbeaten, but I don't we'll win them all. Think we'll drop points to Chelsea and Arsenal for a start.

Unlikely lad

Unfortunately have to agree with this, and if by stretch Chelsea are guaranteed champions I can see both Arsenal and United playing for a draw in the fixture against each other, too much to lose.
That's the penultimate game right? It's quite probable that we'll both be safe by then?

Mark_GrumpyLion

Second, Maybe. First? Nahhh. I'd take second, would do us loads of good for next season. Imagine the confidence in the team knowing that we we're so close in a rebuilding year, let alone in the second year after an extensive pre-season.

Sylar

First is over due to Chelseas winners against Stoke and especially against QPR today. Had they drawn both matches, that would be 4 dropped points with United and Arsenal back to back.

Jose doesnt really lose against top four / five teams and will be happy with draws in both tbh. If I were him, I would be too.

ravelston

First is over due to Chelseas winners against Stoke and especially against QPR today. Had they drawn both matches, that would be 4 dropped points with United and Arsenal back to back.

Jose doesnt really lose against top four / five teams and will be happy with draws in both tbh. If I were him, I would be too.
Astonishing that, in both the Stoke and QPR games, Chelsea won as a result of a keeper screwing up a simple pass out. I'm starting to think that it's just their turn.