Film Dark Phoenix (2019)

bucky

I really don't understand why they make it obvious that Raven/Mystique dies.

InfiniteBoredom

This XMen iteration peaked with Days of Future Past. Asking Sansa Stark to carry a film is just imbecilic.

Probably not gonna pay for a theatre ticket. Open for reviews though.

GBBQ

I really don't understand why they make it obvious that Raven/Mystique dies.
probably happens in the first 10 minutes so they're getting it out there now so people aren't giving out about it.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I will still watch this. Generally like X Men and am curious to see where they go from this film onwards.

Sylar

Its a good trailer. I do like the cast. I hope it delivers.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I will still watch this. Generally like X Men and am curious to see where they go from this film onwards.
Yeah I really like the X-Men franchise. Out of 9 films including Wolverine stuff, there have been what... 3 bad films? and, for me, 5 really excellent ones (The second Wolverine movie is the only one I'd say is just good).. so it's a decent hit rate.

Mockney

Not the only poster to be named Poster of the Year
A whole load of those Game of Thrones kids got sooo fecking lucky with that show. Almost all the brats are absolutely dreadful in anything that doesn’t require them to look stoic and cold and English around theatre veterans doing all the heavy lifting.

Sylar

:lol: Oh gosh, cant wait to see that scene in the cinema now

SSSSnake

They are just murdering this story line. This could have been so epic but they went with the Stark kid.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
A whole load of those Game of Thrones kids got sooo fecking lucky with that show. Almost all the brats are absolutely dreadful in anything that doesn’t require them to look stoic and cold and English around theatre veterans doing all the heavy lifting.
Come on. It’s a fecking comic book movie, not an Ibsen play. You really don’t think she’s a good enough actor for this sort of movie?

Mockney

Come on. It’s a fecking comic book movie, not an Ibsen play. You really don’t think she’s a good enough actor for this sort of movie?
I more just think that her, Emelia Clarke, Kit Harrington, Maisie Williams etc*
are poor actors in general who seem okay in GoT because of a combination of Orlando Bloom-syndrome (staring off into the middle distance whilst English in silly costumes around better thesps) and Harry Potteritis (we cast them young in a huge thing, so now they’re all A listers by default) but I’m sure she can be passable in a fitting role. Trouble is “comic book movies” these days are helmed by big actors like Bale, Fassbender or Downey Jr, and she is the actual lead...

*The guy from the Bodyguard is alright

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I more just think that her, Emelia Clarke, Kit Harrington, Maisie Williams etc*
are poor actors in general who seem okay in GoT because of a combination of Orlando Bloom-syndrome (staring off into the middle distance whilst English in silly costumes around better thesps) and Harry Potteritis (we cast them young in a huge thing, so now they’re all A listers by default) but I’m sure she can be passable in a fitting role. Trouble is “comic book movies” these days are helmed by big actors like Bale, Fassbender or Downey Jr, and she is the actual lead...

*The guy from the Bodyguard is alright
Ok, yeah. Kit Harrington is a dreadful actor tbf. Although a Manchester United fan, so we’ll let that slide. This girl (I’ve no idea what her name is) has something about her though. I thought she was good in Thor Ragnarok anyway.

bucky

Ok, yeah. Kit Harrington is a dreadful actor tbf. Although a Manchester United fan, so we’ll let that slide. This girl (I’ve no idea what her name is) has something about her though. I thought she was good in Thor Ragnarok anyway.
I think you are thinking of someone else?

kps88

This has to be the first time someone has ever confused Sophie Turner for Cate Blanchett.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
The new cast had a very good start I thought with First Class and Days of the Future Past but looks like they're going to continue the downward path of Apocalypse. Turner is a shit pick but the bigger problem is that the directors don't seem to have a clue how to consistently develop the characters and create a good story. Lawrence is getting all the flag for some reason but I don't see how its her fault that Mystique has been downgraded to such a nothing character. Especially as good actors like McAvoy and Fassbender have been just as wasted.
Series would probably do good with a proper reboot after this one.

Oo0AahCantona

Not sure ive found a more fitting description of the acting in game of thrones than this, Bravo.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
This thread should be renamed as middle aged film hipsters having a moan. :lol:

Didn't bother with the last xmen film, not really all that bothered about watching this one either. Too many comic book stuff out nowadays.

Last edited:

Mockney

I thought she was good in Thor Ragnarok anyway.
I have absolutely no idea who you think this flame haired English girl is, but she is definitely neither the multi-Oscar winning Australian Cate Blanchett, nor the mixed race American Tessa Thompson... Though the mystery of who you think she is, is already 70% more interesting to me than the film itself.

Also, surely you agree that teeny tiny “quando quando” dragon queen woman was a terrible Sarah Conner?

Last edited:

InfiniteBoredom

:lol:

To be fair I think part of the reason the GoT kids are such awful actors/actresses is because the filming and PR schedule of the show leaves them very little room for theatre/acting education, side projects etc... Their development has basically been stunted being handed a golden meal ticket so young, while the future Oscar nominees are still at this moment scrapping for role in a hundred auditions every month.

The bigger shame is that if they are even remotely passable then they’d be hailed as great and be up for all kind of accolades later on in their career, e.g Emma Watson.

Mockney

The new cast had a very good start I thought with First Class and Days of the Future Past but looks like they're going to continue the downward path of Apocalypse. Turner is a shit pick but the bigger problem is that the directors don't seem to have a clue how to consistently develop the characters and create a good story. Lawrence is getting all the flag for some reason but I don't see how its her fault that Mystique has been downgraded to such a nothing character. Especially as good actors like McAvoy and Fassbender have been just as wasted.
Series would probably do good with a proper reboot after this one.
They had a good start because a good film maker (Matthew Vaughn) already rebooted it with First Class... but then they gave it back to Singer who made everyone purple and stupid and mid-00s camp again.... they just need to let it go back to Marvel at this point...

Also Lawrence got super famous for playing Catnip McJesus in tweeny Battle Royale just after signing a multi-picture deal, and subsequently refused to spend 500 hours in make up for 20 million films, so they were basically forced to downgrade her, or else lose half of Bryan Singer’s kid fecking party budget... in short.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Also Lawrence got super famous for playing Catnip McJesus in tweeny Battle Royale just after signing a multi-picture deal, and subsequently refused to spend 500 hours in make up for 20 million films, so they were basically forced to downgrade her, or else lose half of Bryan Singer’s kid fecking party budget... in short.
They actually made her a proper suit after the first film to reduce the amount of makeup time required. She just needed it on her face and neck, reducing the make up time for each day from 8 hours to 3. 8 fecking hours!?

Mockney

:lol:

To be fair I think part of the reason the GoT kids are such awful actors/actresses is because the filming and PR schedule of the show leaves them very little room for theatre/acting education, side projects etc... Their development has basically been stunted being handed a golden meal ticket so young, while the future Oscar nominees are still at this moment scrapping for role in a hundred auditions every month.

The bigger shame is that if they are even remotely passable then they’d be hailed as great and be up for all kind of accolades later on in their career, e.g Emma Watson.
Yes, and part of that is due to the increasing lack of arts funding, which means drama schools these days are almost entirely filled with averagely-talented posh kids, whom American Producers can’t distinguish from the likes of Charles Dance or Patrick Stewart, because they all sound “so much more sophisticated, and shit”.....

Sadly, we can.

Sometimes I feel I’ve missed my calling as an averagely talented southern accented English white boy who can stare into the middle distance in a big silly wig... I’d have been really good at that. Like, £50m good. At least.

Mockney

They actually made her a proper suit after the first film to reduce the amount of makeup time required. She just needed it on her face and neck, reducing the make up time for each day from 8 hours to 3. 8 fecking hours!?
This is why a Christian Bale just gets super fat.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
I have absolutely no idea who you think this flame haired English girl is, but she is definitely neither the multi-Oscar winning Australian Cate Blanchett, nor the mixed race American Tessa Thompson... Though the mystery of who you think she is, is already 70% more interesting to me than the film itself.

Also, surely you agree that teeny tiny “quando quando” dragon queen woman was a terrible Sarah Conner?
That’s nuts. Could have sworn this was her.

Yep. Not Thor Ragnarok either.

Mockney

That’s nuts. Could have sworn this was her.

Yep. Not Thor Ragnarok either.
I mean... okay. She does look very similar in a bland tall white woman kinda way, and if I was going in blind (and didn’t also know that was Elizabeth Debicki) she could definitely be the same person, in a “it’s not racist ‘cos I’m also white” kinda way... so fair enough. That is definitely much better than thinking it’s Cate Blanchett...