Film Dark Phoenix (2019)

Hammerfell

This thread should be renamed as middle aged film hipsters having a moan. :lol:

Didn't bother with the last xmen film, not really all that bothered about watching this one either. Too many comic book stuff out nowadays.
You could rename this forum that.

Oldyella

I mean... okay. She does look very similar in a bland tall white woman kinda way, and if I was going in blind (and didn’t also know that was Elizabeth Debicki) she could definitely be the same person, in a “it’s not racist ‘cos I’m also white” kinda way... so fair enough. That is definitely much better than thinking it’s Cate Blanchett...
Elizabeth Debicki can act too, another way to tell them apart.

As for this movie, I will probably end up watching it, but I'm not sure who thought letting the guy who wrote the x3 mess take another shot at the same story was a good idea.

Irish Jet

Supports
Anyone but Rashford
A whole load of those Game of Thrones kids got sooo fecking lucky with that show. Almost all the brats are absolutely dreadful in anything that doesn’t require them to look stoic and cold and English around theatre veterans doing all the heavy lifting.
Most of them have actually got worse with age too.

afrocentricity

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Comic book movie... It's a fecking comic book movie lads.

afrocentricity

What's that got to do with anything? Comic book movies have been attracting some of the best actors around for years now.
Debatable, but even if I were to accept that, it's not prerequisite is it?

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
No, but a good actor is a must. Casting for most if not all Marvel films have been spot on. Casting for the X-Men franchise has been terrific up to Sophie Turner (I'm going to sort of glaze over Apocalypse because the film as a whole was a letdown).

I recall not really being as interested in seeing another reboot of X-Men until being reeled in by Michael Fassbender and James McAvoy. I'm sure many others feel similar. They were brilliant casts for the respective roles.

I still want to see this film but if I learned that screen time was 75% Sophie Turner I'd probably give it a miss and wait for it to hit Netflix or something.

afrocentricity

My point is that 1 or 2 shite actors shouldn't sink a film or a franchise. The fact Sansa (who I also cannot stand) is in this doesn't mean the film is going to stink. The actors need to be good enough, and most of these actors are. Now if everyone of them was objectively shit then you'd have a point.... Let's give it, and her, a chance. It's just a comic book movie.

kps88

Any movie, regardless of the genre, will suffer from a bad actor in a lead role. Not like she's got some small supporting role either.

afrocentricity

Looks better then X3, take that how you will. I'll watch it on the box though....

Last edited:

Samid

He's no Bilal Ilyas Jhandir
You guys are just haters. I'll be watching it solely because of Sophie Turner :drool:

Hoof the ball

17% on RT. Safe to say it's a ball o' shite.
I no longer trust critics. There's a huge disparity between critic scores on these type of movies and user reviews. How can the perception be so far apart?

Captain Marvel - 78% Critics, 55% Audience
Last Jedi - 91% critics, 44% Audience
Glass - 37% critics, 71% audience

More and more, when critics judge it good, users end up scoring it poorly, and vice-verse. That's why I don't trust critics early reviews. It might end up connecting with the general audience much more so.

InfiniteBoredom

Critics praised Sophie Turner as one of the few good things about the film.

If that’s the case, 17% is grading it kindly.

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
I no longer trust critics. There's a huge disparity between critic scores on these type of movies and user reviews. How can the perception be so far apart?

Captain Marvel - 78% Critics, 55% Audience
Last Jedi - 91% critics, 44% Audience
Glass - 37% critics, 71% audience

More and more, when critics judge it good, users end up scoring it poorly, and vice-verse. That's why I don't trust critics early reviews. It might end up connecting with the general audience much more so.
Funny, my read from that would be not to trust audience scores rather than not to trust critics. Banking on the general populace to have good taste in films/music/books is a recipe for wasting time on a lot of crap.

Hoof the ball

Funny, my read from that would be not to trust audience scores rather than not to trust critics. Banking on the general populace to have good taste in films/music/books is a recipe for wasting time on a lot of crap.
Ah, but the 'general populace' is not the same as the audience scores on RT. For one thing, the run of the mill cinema attender with questionable taste in art is unlikely to sign up to RT to review movies. Even if some do, it's unlikely that most unreliable members of the populace will comprise of enough said individuals to obscure an accurate score of the movie.

As for critics. The audience scoring for the above movies was more accurate than the critic reviews. Last Jedi wasn't a 91% in reality. Captain Marvel wasn't a 78% in reality. It's highly unlikely that Phoenix is that much worse than the cookie-cutter Captain Marvel, yet it's slaughtered by critics who don't find the same faults in a movie they lauded, despite them being evident.

stepic

i'd normally feel more confident with critics scores too, but feck me, 91% for last jedi? wtf

Sylar

Ive seen some critics complain cos movies dont go the way they wanted it to, or because there are too many comic book movies or because it was a good chance to get somebody of 'x colour' but they didnt.

Brinky

Going to watch this evening, hopefully it is decent at least!

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Ive seen some critics complain cos movies dont go the way they wanted it to, or because there are too many comic book movies or because it was a good chance to get somebody of 'x colour' but they didnt.
Also critics complain when a movie is shit.

Kapardin

Well, the reviews sure are underwhelming. No Wolverine, no party.

Sansa isn't really a good actor (along with Kit and Emilia, probably the 3 worst actors in GoT), but I was thinking it may work as they finally shifted the focus to someone other than J-Law's Mystique for once. Looks like you can't polish a turd.

Might still give it a watch. But I will wait a bit.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Ah, but the 'general populace' is not the same as the audience scores on RT. For one thing, the run of the mill cinema attender with questionable taste in art is unlikely to sign up to RT to review movies. Even if some do, it's unlikely that most unreliable members of the populace will comprise of enough said individuals to obscure an accurate score of the movie.

As for critics. The audience scoring for the above movies was more accurate than the critic reviews. Last Jedi wasn't a 91% in reality. Captain Marvel wasn't a 78% in reality. It's highly unlikely that Phoenix is that much worse than the cookie-cutter Captain Marvel, yet it's slaughtered by critics who don't find the same faults in a movie they lauded, despite them being evident.
What would be your theory for why critics would erroneously decide Last Jedi and Captain Marvel are great and this is shit?

On the whole “signing up to RT” as a discriminator thing, I reckon that causes more bias than it fixes. Such as hordes of angry nerds will signing up to register their displeasure with a movie that doesn’t pan out the way they want/expect.

Andersons Dietician

Just come back from seeing this and it’s a bit of a mess. Seems like another failed attempt to do justice to one of the best characters in the X-men universe with one of the very best story arch’s from that franchise and they always just try to butcher it, remodel it and make it turd.

The writing at times is a bit shoddy and characters flip from one extreme to another at the blip or an emotional speech and there are some really cringe bits of acting. Nicolas Holt, but it’s basically a fast and the furious movie. Don’t think about it, don’t think about the characters or their actions and just enjoy stuff getting blown up.

It will however be interesting if Disney pick the franchise up and continue it from here given the ending.

Jean Grey still being alive and being the dark Phoenix but possibly off in to space could mean the story continues on this arc and that was the first instalment. However it’s dated as happening in 1992 and the MCU is now In the future so I guess they could recast the lot and have it play out in the future somehow. With the idea that Jean is in space, but if they reboot it again i’m Getting fed up of failed attempts at Dark Phoenix.

Art Vandelay

I wouldn't trust either of them any more. Too many critics let real world politics cloud their views. Black Panther, The Last Jedi, Wonder Woman and Captain Marvel being good examples. Then you get angry people going against that and all kinds of mentalists in between. They've politicized opinions on pieces of entertainment somehow.

I kind of hope Marvel reboot the X-Men now, but I couldn't stand to watch Magneto and Xavier have another battle of ideals. These films have killed a lot of my enthusiasm for X-men films with how bad they've been. The only consistently good things about them were Hugh Jackman and Patrick Stewart's performances.

Sylar

Ive enjoyed Mcavoy and Fassbender' dynamic. But I reckon Marvel wont do a full reboot, kinda like with what they did with Spiderman. think they will trust viewers know the story behind them.

Will be interesting.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
Well, the reviews sure are underwhelming. No Wolverine, no party.

Sansa isn't really a good actor (along with Kit and Emilia, probably the 3 worst actors in GoT), but I was thinking it may work as they finally shifted the focus to someone other than J-Law's Mystique for once. Looks like you can't polish a turd.

Might still give it a watch. But I will wait a bit.
Why don't go back to your home on Whore Island?

Reddy Rederson

Just back, it was shit. Had some good scenes, but over all shit. I’m really not a fan of sansas acting. Her ability to portray a sympathetic character is quite low. She was my least favourite thing about thrones, and she’s once again let the side down here. Don’t get me wrong, shes not the worst ever, just not my cup of tea.

Looking forward to seeing what Disney does with xmen.

Cloud7

So I decided to come to the good folks of redcafe. I don’t have much time these days so I’m trying to determine if it’s worth sacrificing an evening to watch this movie.

A lot of people I usually trust with movie recommendations since we have similar tastes have all said this movie is awful.

From my personal background, I’ve neber found Jean Grey, and subsequently Phoenix, to be particularly interesting characters, and I think Sophie Turner is an awful actress.

On the other hand, it’s an X men movie and I’ve never missed one before. What say you redcafe? Is it worth me seeing this? I want to avoid reading the thread just in case I see some spoilers.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
On the other hand, it’s an X men movie and I’ve never missed one before. What say you redcafe? Is it worth me seeing this? I want to avoid reading the thread just in case I see some spoilers.
Did you like Apocalypse and the other recent X-Men films? If you did, watch this new one. If you did not like them but still watch this new one, you're not allowed to moan about it, that's the new rule.

Cloud7

Did you like Apocalypse and the other recent X-Men films? If you did, watch this new one. If you did not like them but still watch this new one, you're not allowed to moan about it, that's the new rule.
First class, days of future past and Logan were top notch.

Apocalypse was okay, though nowhere near as good as those three, but apocalypse is one of my favorite characters ever, so my views may be biased based on that. I thought that movie had the potential to be much better than it was, and they didn’t do the best villain in the x men universe justice.

duffer

Sensible and not a complete jerk like most oppo's
Scout
First class, days of future past and Logan were top notch.

Apocalypse was okay, though nowhere near as good as those three, but apocalypse is one of my favorite characters ever, so my views may be biased based on that. I thought that movie had the potential to be much better than it was, and they didn’t do the best villain in the x men universe justice.
The only one of the newer X-Men films I really really liked was First Class.

I think this new one will be a bad film but I'll still watch it (not going to bother with the cinema though) as I still generally enjoy bad comic book films.

For the record I enjoy the Daredevil film. I have honestly re-watched it multiple times.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Has Sophie Turner’s American accent improved? It was beyond awful in the last film, genuinely up there with the worst attempts I can remember. She’s such a weird casting choice for Jean, I guess this is one of the cases where she got the role based on her name rather than whether she was the best choice.