Gaming Dark Souls II

Skywarden

This was a Dark Souls game, through and through. :drool:

I see improved lightning and shadows. Also, does he hit faster than what we are used to?

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Looks like more of the same, and that is a good thing for me.

Wonder will it get a poor reception from some for being too similar though?

Lance Uppercut

As a proud platinum trophy possessor I better be selected.

izzydiggler

:lol:

I've still got to play the first one, its on my to do list and I've just ordered a controller for my PC so it's happening.
I'm sure you (think you) know what you're getting yourself into but you've got to jump in and force yourself through the first few hours. For me, once it properly 'clicked', it was like an addiction.

Oh and you should have ordered more than one controller - it's possible you'll break some, throwing them at a wall. ;)

Good luck!

Drainy

I'm sure you (think you) know what you're getting yourself into but you've got to jump in and force yourself through the first few hours. For me, once it properly 'clicked', it was like an addiction.

Oh and you should have ordered more than one controller - it's possible you'll break some, throwing them at a wall. ;)

Good luck!

haha cheers. Yeah that is true, probably best get a new TV too incase I throw the controller in its direction. I did play demon's souls, so I'm not completely oblivious to what it's like.. I hope :nervous:

Lance Uppercut

Demon's Souls is more difficult, in my opinion. Not by much.

That said, playing one does prepare you for the other, so if you were to play Dark Souls first, you may well consider it to be more difficult.

Drainy

Demon's Souls is more difficult, in my opinion. Not by much.

That said, playing one does prepare you for the other, so if you were to play Dark Souls first, you may well consider it to be more difficult.

I've heard people say that Dark Souls is more 'fair' if you did it's 99% your fault, with fewer 'that's bullshit' moments, as well as combat being smoother.

Lance Uppercut

I don't recall a lot of cheap moments in Demon's Souls, to be honest.

Slevs

likes to play with penises
Never played the one, is it worth it? What type of game is it? Prince of Persia closed world mystery, Skyrim open world adventures?

Red_Aaron

Definitely worth it, demons is the better game IMO the level design is almost perfection throughout and it's got a real steady difficulty curve across the levels, it tests you to the end. the only let down is the number of cheap bosses. It's also free to download right now if your a playstation plus member. Its a 10/10 for me

Darks bosses pretty much all require a good fight but for the most part they're all very similar to one another (some identical) the world is more open though and the online is much deeper if you want to get into it. There's more gear and spells as with any sequel. It's still ace but lacks the charm of demons for me

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I played and beat dark souls first, and then I went to demons souls. Both brilliant games, but I think demons souls was a bit easier if I'm being honest. It was incredibly anti climatic at the end, which was disappointing. Dark souls at least has a good fight with Gwyn at the end of it to finish it off.
One thing I did like more about demons souls was having the nexus there as a home base. Dark souls has firelink shrine, but even then it doesn't really feel like a 'home'. Love the completely open world aspect of it though.

One thing that has to be said though, demons souls can be really easy if you choose to use the exploit which gives you infinite items pretty much. Levels you up as much as you want but the game is still fun. Did that on my second play through because I wanted to beat the game properly first.

I hope they don't do any bullshit boss fights like bed of chaos or the ceaseless discharge. Those were the 2 worst and most bullshit fights. Took basically no skill. One you just had to run around the map a few times, and with ceaseless discharge the only way to kill him was to have him follow you until he fell.
Then there was the mpossible fight with the red dragon in undead parish, but it was optional thankfully.

Skywarden

Release dates announced during Tokyo Game Show:

North America on March 11, 2014
Europe on March 14, 2014

These are the console versions, mind you.

Edit: New footage

Red_Aaron

fairly sure its current gen. I know its only the beta but visually its practically identical to the first one

so for those interested, I got 2 hours on it last night:

minor spoilers, gameplay stuff
the section I played had a good number of enemies and they were often in pairs or more, seems like facing off against groups will be more prevalent than it was in the first couple. They were pretty tough too, obviously I was low level but, anything over a zombie tore through my stamina bar with ease when blocking. there's a big 'staggered' animation when your guard breaks leaving you open for a good second or so, big enemies can finish you off in that time. I get the feeling hiding behind a shield will be a lot harder this time around. the strength of your hits seems to be governed by how much stamina you have left too so your first hit is the strongest and then weakens with each subsequent hit. the distance you were away from the enemy too had an effect. I only messed about with the items in he last 10 mins or so but it seems as though you can revive at anytime and not just at the bonfires. there was also a lot of healing items around as well as the estus. the backstabbing wasn't as tight, success was a bit random with it, I ended up having to double tap the attack button to get it to work

major spoilers, level, enemy and boss
no idea which part of the game we were given, it felt early doors though, the usual zombies were there, they took more punishment but offered little threat. thief style enemies were common, quick multiple hit attacks and were hidden a lot of the time and would surprise you. actually some of the zombies were the same, you'd walk past a body on the ground and it would raise up behind you and try to ambush. after the initial straight path you end up in an open space with at least 2 paths though I only went deep into one. there are some big feckers here carrying dual siccles, they hit very hard and make short work of you if your hit. didn't take long to figure them out though and whittle them down. I travelled through a section lined with red phantoms, you face 4 in quick succession carrying halberds and whips, pulling one at a time made them easy pickings but I imagine getting swarmed by them would be impossible. you then cross a rope bridge and you see a fog gate guarded by another red phantom with a great sword and tower shield. through the fog was the exectuioners chariot boss, screen shots of this guy are quite common so you'll probably have seen them. was actually a straight forward fight that I did first time. your in a giant ring and the chariot is charging round in circles, you want to run around it toward a switch which drops a gate. you run around diving into the recesses to avoid the chariot as it passes, theres lots of skeletons and sorcerors but the chariot takes them out as it travels. reach the gate and drop it and the chariot smashes into it killing everything but one horse that you then face off against. i'm hoping its half finished cause it has one attack and the slowest turning circle ever seen. I just kept behind it and chipped away, didn't even need to block. after that there's a bonfire but no further path so i'm guessing its closed off in the beta. theres a midget executioner standing near the fire who seemingly does nothing so I fought him, he was seemingly easy until he unleashed a monster dark magic attack which took me out in one hit, second time around though I knew it was coming and dodged it, when he fell you get his gear and a tombstone appears where he was stood, a pray instruction pops up when you approach but apparently I had insufficient souls. that was the end of my time. its nothing new, its very much a straight sequel, theres no revolution here

next session isn't for a couple of weeks unfortunately, but it was good fun

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
Anyone play the beta yesterday?

I got a good 2.5 hours out of it. There were many technical issues meaning the multiplayer didn't work, but the core of it was largely the same as DS1 but that's a good thing as far as I'm concerned.

Wish I'd realised the real reason my health bar kept getting smaller and smaller every time I died. I thought it was due to some chest I opened which poisoned me. I thought it'd cursed me like in the previous game. Turns out that if you die as a hollow a number of times in a row, you have to use the human effigy item to reverse your hollowing else your health bar gets clipped by 25% then 50%

That's harsh, but makes for an interesting dynamic. There was no penalty for staying hollow in the previous game, but now you will be forced to reverse hollow every couple of deaths.

bosnian_red

Can't wait. I wish they made this for the next gen systems though, it would have so much potential with the next gen technology, I can't see it being that a huge difference from Dark Souls gameplay or graphic wise. Still a great game mind you.

CircusMonkey

Dark souls was Brilliant and I still play it after investing (squandering) hundreds of hours with different builds. It was massively overlooked by most "gamers", which is a tragedy, as it was easily the best game of the last year.

Cedric

Back in the newbies for reeducation
Still need to finish the first one. Blighttown annoyed the hell out of me so I stopped playing a couple of months back. Guess now's a good time to get back into it.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Still need to finish the first one. Blighttown annoyed the hell out of me so I stopped playing a couple of months back. Guess now's a good time to get back into it.
Blighttown was a nasty area. You still have a long way to go.

Cedric

Back in the newbies for reeducation
Blighttown was a nasty area. You still have a long way to go.
Yeah I actually loved the game up to this point, but Blighttown just sucked the joy out of it. Lots of poison, constantly respawning enemies in one part of it and not much space to move creating a lot of possibilities to fall down and die. Christ.

bosnian_red

If you go into blightown through fire link you can completely skip the depths and it takes less then a minute to get to the very bottom of it to the bonfire. Didn't realize this the first time I went through it, such a pain in the ass but once I found the short cut, made it so much easer.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Are you sure? I think you have to go all the way through it once at least.

I never hated the place, its just damn challenging is all

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Yeah I actually loved the game up to this point, but Blighttown just sucked the joy out of it. Lots of poison, constantly respawning enemies in one part of it and not much space to move creating a lot of possibilities to fall down and die. Christ.
Plus the crappy frame-rate. On PS3 anyway.

bosnian_red

Are you sure? I think you have to go all the way through it once at least.

I never hated the place, its just damn challenging is all
Yup, it's technically in the valley of the drakes, but you only have to take a few steps in it, nowhere near the big dragon that's lying on the ledge or get to the actual drakes. You don't even cross the bridge if I recall, you just go down stairs in firelink, go to the other mini structure with an elevator in the depths, do a sharp right as you enter the valley of the drakes and you get to the bit in blighttown where there's all those big fat trolls with clubs, just run past them, go down a few stairs and you're at the bottom.

Edit: Actually you need the master key which I'm assuming most people start with anyway, and you do cross the bridge. Here's a vid.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
I've never heard of this game before, but from the trailers and comments, it seems similar to Assassins creed, would that be fair? Could someone compare the gameplay/objectives in this to another game? I'm quite interested is all.

Skywarden

I've never heard of this game before, but from the trailers and comments, it seems similar to Assassins creed, would that be fair? Could someone compare the gameplay/objectives in this to another game? I'm quite interested is all.

The third-person view is similar. But Dark Souls is vastly less forgiving and plays, and feels, differently. It's one of those games where you could easily get frustrated if you aren't good at learning combat patterns or generally don't have patience for trial and error type of games.

It's a great game if you want a challenge and like dark and atmospheric games with RPG elements.

AngeloHenriquez

Supports
Stevenage
The third-person view is similar. But Dark Souls is vastly less forgiving and plays, and feels, differently. It's one of those games where you could easily get frustrated if you aren't good at learning combat patterns or generally don't have patience for a trial and error type of games.
Interesting as I loved Assassins creed, but felt it's falldown was its repetitiveness and how easy it became, once you caught one theif, you would catch them all, once you had beaten someone up once, it was pretty standard... this does look a lot more advanced..