Gaming Dark Souls III

izzydiggler

Got it on Saturday and loving it so far - loads of optional paths to explore and the combat is quite a bit quicker.

I'm not sure whether it's because I've played the others but I am finding it pretty easy though - went an hour before dying for the first time and killed the first 2 bosses on the first try. I hear it ramps up but it's not the challenge I thought, which in many ways is good but still unexpected.

Woodzy

I heard it ramps up significantly. I wouldn't worry about it being difficult if the reviews are anything to go by. If anything, the easy start is probably intentional to help new players stick with it for a bit, which has always been something that turns people off initially

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Got it on Saturday and loving it so far - loads of optional paths to explore and the combat is quite a bit quicker.

I'm not sure whether it's because I've played the others but I am finding it pretty easy though - went an hour before dying for the first time and killed the first 2 bosses on the first try. I hear it ramps up but it's not the challenge I thought, which in many ways is good but still unexpected.
Probably a bit of everything.

If you take a veteran Dark Souls player and throw them into Demon's Souls, they're unlikely to struggle on any of the bosses save for perhaps the likes of Flamelurker. The biggest thing is "getting" the series, regardless of game you do it in. After that, the earlier parts of all the games (at the very least) are easy.

izzydiggler

I heard it ramps up significantly. I wouldn't worry about it being difficult if the reviews are anything to go by. If anything, the easy start is probably intentional to help new players stick with it for a bit, which has always been something that turns people off initially
I'm torn about the difficulty of the series and have changed my opinion over time. I bought Demon's Souls given the reviews and gave up pretty much instantly. Then I stupidly pre-ordered Dark Souls because of the hype, despite my experiences and again, I barely got past the Firelink Shrine before thinking it wasn't for me. I bemoaned the lack of an 'easy mode' on forums, saying it was just silly to alienate so many players (given that some of them possibly had no idea what they were letting themselves in for), when you could make everyone happy with a separate mode that people could play if they wanted.

Anyhow, then I gave it another go and something 'clicked', I started looking up the lore, strategies and opinions and playing through DS1 was simply one of my favourite ever gaming experiences - the feeling when conquering a seemingly 'impossible' boss something I would have missed out on with an easy mode and I've become almost evangelical about the game about telling people to "stick with it and it'll reward you 10 fold".

So I bought the DLC, which was tough but I got through relatively comfortably. Finished Demon's Souls (some tough moments!). Then I got DS2 and pretty much cruised through it - I appreciated the lack of 'choke points' and it could have been my added experience but I believe I killed the last 7/8 bosses without dying once. In hindsight, I didn't get the same satisfaction, despite enjoying the game. Same with Bloodborne to a degree, although it was incredible. Then came the Bloodborne DLC - I've moaned about it on the other forums but I found the bosses ridiculously hard an (unlike Dark Souls) they felt cheap and unfair IMO, which almost ruined the experience of the DLC.

So I appreciate that it's really difficult to get that balance - on one hand, the difficulty is required but too much and it become too frustrating...and if you add new players to the mix, it can't be an easy decision. I'll probably be back in here bitching in a few days that it's become impossible :lol:.

izzydiggler

Probably a bit of everything.

If you take a veteran Dark Souls player and throw them into Demon's Souls, they're unlikely to struggle on any of the bosses save for perhaps the likes of Flamelurker. The biggest thing is "getting" the series, regardless of game you do it in. After that, the earlier parts of all the games (at the very least) are easy.
Aye, that's true. It's the one thing that kept me going - even in great difficulty, you were always learning patterns etc and usually when you died, it was because you lost concentration or got greedy for that extra hit. I'm not even good on them, just a healthy amount of patience (or I should say an obsessive personality) - never really ventured into NG+ etc...for masochists only!

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
Yeah once they click they aren't majorly tough, but they have done a great job of the balance in all games. Especially all the weapons with the movesets.

I was hoping for a return to the more methodical combat of 1, though after 2 and Bloodborne that was never going to happen, but I'm still looking forward to playing this when I get round to it. I might wait a little for and PC patches or enhancement mods though.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
I never really bothered with 2 and I'm yet to play Bloodborne... Didn't really dwell too much on the pace of combat, but now you have me questioning whether or not I'll like 3 :lol:

Eriku

I love the pace of the BB combat, you really need to give it a go Tommy. DS2 is rightly criticised, but it's still worth the money. It's just a let-down compared to the first DaS.

DS3 better be in the bloody mail tomorrow!

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
I never really bothered with 2 and I'm yet to play Bloodborne... Didn't really dwell too much on the pace of combat, but now you have me questioning whether or not I'll like 3 :lol:
They have got closer to faster paced combat games which, for me at least, takes somewhat from the methodical learning weaknesses type combat a tad.

Not that they are like stuff like Darksiders or Dragon's Dogma in that way, there's still the Souls feel, but let's just say they are more accessible. Which some people like, and that's cool.

I'm still looking forward to this more than anything else on the horizon right now though :drool:

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
I wanna pre load my game but cd keys are updating their website the shits. :(

On a happier note, this will tie me over until season six of GoT, and that will tie me over until the Blood & Wine DLC for The Witcher 3.

Entertainment wise, the next couple of months are sexual.

EDIT; Uncharted 4, how did I forget thee.

Last edited:

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
DSIII, Uncharted 4, Mirror's Edge: Catalyst, Witcher 3: Blood & Wine.

Looking forward to having too many games to play. The last few months have been a bit barren.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
I have exams all these next 2 weeks... ffs. At least I will probably fit in time tomorrow to play it as my next one isnt until thursday, but it really is the worst time to come out.

Eriku

Tomorrow's a day off for me. Only thing is that the mrs has requested I don't play without her, she wants to come along for the ride. It's hard to be bitter about having a wife who loves video games, though ;)

Then we're a couple of months away from No Man's Sky, and then a few months later the new Deus Ex. This'll be the best year for releases thus far, as far as the PS4 goes :drool:

siw2007

Beat the third boss at about the 30th try!!

The giant ent looking thing was so annoying. Not because it was so difficult, I always felt that I had it's number, just that I kept screwing it up. But I now have recurring nightmares of a giant white hand stalking, ready to grab me!!

Also made it out of the undead settlement, the Frost Knight was one of the hardest enemies I have ever faced in a game and so had to get inventive to beat it

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
DSIII, Uncharted 4, Mirror's Edge: Catalyst, Witcher 3: Blood & Wine.

Looking forward to having too many games to play. The last few months have been a bit barren.
No Overwatch? Boo this man :D

Is it half an hour or 90 minutes away?

izzydiggler

Beat the third boss at about the 30th try!!

The giant ent looking thing was so annoying. Not because it was so difficult, I always felt that I had it's number, just that I kept screwing it up. But I now have recurring nightmares of a giant white hand stalking, ready to grab me!!

Also made it out of the undead settlement, the Frost Knight was one of the hardest enemies I have ever faced in a game and so had to get inventive to beat it
Better than it's giant ball sack.

Siorac

Who the feck decided that a minute should take approximately two ages of mankind right now?

comeon comeon

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
Who the feck decided that a minute should take approximately two ages of mankind right now?

comeon comeon
The Steam unlocker, apparently. 99%, 2 seconds left, 7 seconds left, 11 seconds left... Now 2 minutes 15 seconds left :lol:

Siorac

The Steam unlocker, apparently. 99%, 2 seconds left, 7 seconds left, 11 seconds left... Now 2 minutes 15 seconds left :lol:
Steam now says that it's updating Dark Souls III. At one point it was ready to launch in more than a year, according to the client.

EDIT: and it's seriously updating right now. Why the feck wasn't this part of the pre-load? I realise complaining about ten additional minutes is the very definition of a first world problem but it's still incredibly annoying.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
Demon's Souls meets Bloodborne so far... Can't help but be a tiny bit disappointed, but damn, the game looks good.

Siorac

Demon's Souls meets Bloodborne so far... Can't help but be a tiny bit disappointed, but damn, the game looks good.
Thankfully, I played neither so for me it's actually somewhat different to what I'm used to. It is quite a bit faster paced than DS and DS2.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
It's just a personal taste thing moreso than anything else :) My only gripe with the combat so far over Dark Souls is that enemies now seem to be able to attack up and down hills (instead of just horizontally stabbing at thin air/attacking the ground) - This is a good change, but why can't I do the same?

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
Walking into Firelink Shrine for the first time really paints why I love this series. And my boy Andre is back. And the game is surprisingly gorgeous. The texture work on the world is fantastic.

Had two near heart attacks so far, when that one praying undead dude transformed into a demon thingy and when the dragon landed. Happens at the beginning of Lothric.

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
Sod Andre...

The Maiden in Black is back... Don't tell me that isn't her :lol: She even says the same damn things.

Four bosses down, and I'm not going to bed yet.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Was walking around firelink shrine for a good 15 minutes having no idea where to go. Then I realized that you're supposed to just travel out of it to the first area, not walk there.... Meh. Would've been better if they linked it all together instead of having fast travel like that. Can't even do it at the moment because my game isn't fully installed apparently anyway. Almost done though

Tommy

Supports
Liverpool
451 minutes straight, 5 bosses down :lol: Time to do something else for half an hour.

Was walking around firelink shrine for a good 15 minutes having no idea where to go. Then I realized that you're supposed to just travel out of it to the first area, not walk there.... Meh. Would've been better if they linked it all together instead of having fast travel like that. Can't even do it at the moment because my game isn't fully installed apparently anyway. Almost done though
I did the same thing. It's very much like Demon's Souls in that regard.

Siorac

451 minutes straight, 5 bosses down :lol: Time to do something else for half an hour.

I did the same thing. It's very much like Demon's Souls in that regard.
You played for seven and a half hours in one sitting? I'm not sure if that's admirable or insane. Or maybe both :lol:

I'm only two hours in, got the tutorial boss down (only on the second try :().

Also, those knights in Lothric are fecking RELENTLESS. The usual 'wait for an opening' approach doesn't really work, I had to take the game to them. And I must admit I just run away from the possessed dudes.

DatIrishFella

Band of Brothers, Thief
You played for seven and a half hours in one sitting? I'm not sure if that's admirable or insane. Or maybe both :lol:

I'm only two hours in, got the tutorial boss down (only on the second try :().

Also, those knights in Lothric are fecking RELENTLESS. The usual 'wait for an opening' approach doesn't really work, I had to take the game to them. And I must admit I just run away from the possessed dudes.
I came across the first one, thought I could just circle him like I did in DaSI but nope, he messed me the feck up. :lol:

Woodzy

Hopefully it'll be like Hunter's Dream in Bloodborne. The feeling I got when I found it was more than just a central hub was sheer amazement.

Siorac

Hopefully it'll be like Hunter's Dream in Bloodborne. The feeling I got when I found it was more than just a central hub was sheer amazement.
With all those tunnels seemingly leading somewhere, only to end in a dead end... I don't think it's just a design choice to feck with our heads. But we'll see. Maybe those who already played the game will laugh at this.

Siorac

I came across the first one, thought I could just circle him like I did in DaSI but nope, he messed me the feck up. :lol:
Once you know which one it is, you can kill them quickly if you get there in time, before they transform. It's always the same one, at least so far.

Shark

@NotShark
Been playing through Bloodborne again to attempt to prepare for this, as it really does like amazing.

Last edited:

Siorac

I want to go home and play it.I gotta stay another hour or so.

Why didn't I take this day and maybe Wednesday off?

Eriku

I fecking suck, man... Can't beat the overgrown crystal lizard, and on my 5th attempt to beat that first boss ;(