Gaming Dark Souls III

Redlambs

Creator of the Caftards comics
Officially the best poker player on RAWK.
But I beat the first game first and I still found 2 quite a bit more difficult early on. Although now I come to think of it, that's probably because I had a shite broadsword instead of being armed to the teeth with fully upgraded equipment... I maintain that there's a lot more cheap difficulty in DS2 than the first game.

Also, aaawww:

That's awesome :lol:

But yeah I agree with what you are saying, they are probably very close in terms of difficulty. Like you say though, 2 does artificially ramp up the difficulty with cheap tactics, I think they were trying to go for some surprise elements to mix it up a bit.

Lowkey

It seems to depend which one people play first. That's probably due the the familiarity of the games by the time you play the next one, I mean going into 2 after the slog of 1 certainly makes you immediately comfortable with how it all works, and vice versa.
Ye, you are right

Eriku

Agreed. Though the series has kept very high standards, hopefully this one returns to be more like the first. Especially the way the world is built.
I think it's pretty obvious that Miyazaki's guidance was sorely missed during most of the making of 2. Bloodborne's world has the right inter-connected feel to it, and I'm pretty damn sure DS3 will live up to that :)

Tommy

bigot with fetish for footballers getting fingered
Supports
Liverpool
Demon's Souls still has the best level in a Souls game (Tower of Latria is a masterpiece of game design), but overall, it's hard to argue against Dark Souls being more consistent & stronger overall.

Redlambs

I think it's pretty obvious that Miyazaki's guidance was sorely missed during most of the making of 2. Bloodborne's world has the right inter-connected feel to it, and I'm pretty damn sure DS3 will live up to that :)
Good point, well made ;)

Demon's Souls still has the best level in a Souls game (Tower of Latria is a masterpiece of game design), but overall, it's hard to argue against Dark Souls being more consistent & stronger overall.
Agreed.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Thought dark souls 1 was way more difficult then 2. Going through blight town for the first time was the worst thing in the world. Eventually once you find the short cuts and where to go its not bad, but feck that place. Loved the overall level design of that game though, and it is a better game then both 2 and blood borne IMO, but the fighting mechanics are a lot more choppy and clunky in it compared to DS2 and blood borne. Going back to outdated mechanics like that is usually my biggest problem with playing older games.

Not sure which one I'd say my favourite one is of the 4. They're all brilliant. The dlc for dark souls 1 is the best one though, along with the pvp area in that game.

Siorac

Thought dark souls 1 was way more difficult then 2. Going through blight town for the first time was the worst thing in the world. Eventually once you find the short cuts and where to go its not bad, but feck that place. Loved the overall level design of that game though, and it is a better game then both 2 and blood borne IMO, but the fighting mechanics are a lot more choppy and clunky in it compared to DS2 and blood borne. Going back to outdated mechanics like that is usually my biggest problem with playing older games.

Not sure which one I'd say my favourite one is of the 4. They're all brilliant. The dlc for dark souls 1 is the best one though, along with the pvp area in that game.
I hated the combat in Dark Souls 2 at first. The Adaptability stat is just too important and I think that was a poor design choice.

I skipped most of Blighttown as, thankfully, I went to Darkroot Garden after the Gargoyles and then found the entrance to Valley of Drakes and went through there. One look at Blighttown convinced me it was the right choice.

Redlambs

I hated the combat in Dark Souls 2 at first. The Adaptability stat is just too important and I think that was a poor design choice.

I skipped most of Blighttown as, thankfully, I went to Darkroot Garden after the Gargoyles and then found the entrance to Valley of Drakes and went through there. One look at Blighttown convinced me it was the right choice.
You probably missed my favourite sword then, the Iaito.

Siorac

You probably missed my favourite sword then, the Iaito.
Yeah, I heard great things about it but just couldn't be arsed getting it. I'm using a Balder Side Sword +15 and I really don't want any other Dexterity weapon :) I'll try the Black Knight Halberd on NG+.

Eriku

Yeah, I heard great things about it but just couldn't be arsed getting it. I'm using a Balder Side Sword +15 and I really don't want any other Dexterity weapon :) I'll try the Black Knight Halberd on NG+.
Black Knight Halberd :drool:

The only Black Knight weapon that got dropped during my first playthrough. Favoured that weapon for the rest of the playthrough.

Redlambs

They aren't outdated at all, it's a different play style. Personally I much prefer the strategy the first game offers and it easily stands up as the best in the series on that front for me and more DS fans than not.

Just because a game is older, it doesn't automatically mean it's worse.

Kaos

I've just realised I have the first Dark Souls in my steam library :lol:

Is it worth playing after I finish Bloodborne? Or should I just skip to DS2?

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
They're all worth it. The entire Demon Souls/Dark Souls series is fantastic. I played Demon Souls after Dark Souls 2, and it's a cracking game. It really doesn't matter IMO in which order you play them given how strong, challenging and hence rewarding the system they've implemented is.

Eriku

DO IIIIIIIT! DS1 is absolutely fantastic. Slower pace, slightly different mechanics, but difficult, and the world and the lore are absolutely fantastic.

Redlambs

Dark souls 1 is the best one. It's a bit of a culture shock after Bloodborne though! :lol:

But as @amolbhatia50k rightly says, it doesn't really matter what order you play in just make sure you play them all. However I personally would suggest that to get the best out of 1 you should play it next before you get even more used to the game style. The harder the better!

Kaos

Oh and make sure you get DSfix @Kaos!
What's all that about then?

Edit: nvm just googled it, didn't realise this was initially a shitty port!

I take it an Xbox controller is a must then? I can't imagine KB/M on a FromSoftware game would be good for my health.

Eriku

I take it an Xbox controller is a must then? I can't imagine KB/M on a FromSoftware game would be good for my health.
That's what I've read. I've only played on the PS3.

Redlambs

It's actually not bad with a keyboard mouse, especially any jumping bits.

But yeah, DSfix pretty much sorts the issues out and makes it the best version by a way. There's also some nice graphical mods, but overall it shows the strength of the game that there's not too much tinkering with gameplay.

I run DSfix and a few enb/model enhancers and that's it.

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Potentially stupid question, but just how good is Dark Souls 1? As someone who adored Bloodborne and really enjoyed Dark Souls 2? It's really cheap on Steam, thinking about buying it.
If you liked the sequel, you should play the first. And this is coming from someone who rage-quit it.

But before I did I saw/experienced some of the coolest things in a video game ever.

Godfather

Oh god. First Let's Plays on Youtube already. I have to contain myself. I don't want to spoiler myself but damn is it hard.

JackXX

Oh shit just tried the Xbox workaround using the Japan store and it worked! PRAISE THE (rising) SUN!

Woodzy

I was going to do that but it would really mess with my OCD having Dark Souls 2 and Bloodborne on the PS4.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Started Bloodborne again to get me in the groove for this.

I am looking forward to being able to hide behind a shield again though.

Woodzy

Incredibly excited for this.

Will be my first time getting to play one of these on release. Finally I can moan about it being too difficult with other people instead of alone.

Siorac

Incredibly excited for this.

Will be my first time getting to play one of these on release. Finally I can moan about it being too difficult with other people instead of alone.
I'm looking forward to impossible areas that need a rethink (Shrine of Amana...) and game-breaking bugs. Will be fun!