Darren Fletcher | 2013/14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Of course he can do it twice a week, why can't he? he's 30, not 40.
I only ask because he's barely played, yet when he has, he's done well.

I seem to recall a couple of years back that SAF said his games needed to be managed, thought that his condition might mean that's still the case.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
I only ask because he's barely played, yet when he has, he's done well.

I seem to recall a couple of years back that SAF said his games needed to be managed, thought that his condition might mean that's still the case.
No his problem is with his bowels, and the surgery cleared that, it can be brought on by things like stress, but it wasn't football related at all.

Ash_G

I thought he had a good game, its not easy with the way we set up with Fellaini pushed high when we have a goal kick as if he doesn't win it, the other midfielder needs to be in a position to hold them up which he was. I was pleasantly surprised to see he looked a bit quicker today as well, I suppose the more training he goes through the more his general fitness/strength will come back.

On the ball he was good as well, no particularly great passes but he kept things moving nicely and as I've always said his passing is generally underrated, he's not gonna play a Giggs like pass but he moves in on the ground sharply and players like mata/kagawa can play of it well.

beergod

I thought it was his most complete game since he has returned to the squad, he didn't run out of gas at the end. Fellaini complements him quite well because he can sit deeper and not have to do the running that he would if he was playing with Carrick.

Sixpence

Erroneously Promoted
Didn't think he was that good. Quietly efficient but clear that the old energy to get hassling people isn't there.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Didn't think he was that good. Quietly efficient but clear that the old energy to get hassling people isn't there.
That's because for the most part of the game West Ham attacked down the wings, it's not his job to press in those areas, he was in the centre to cut out the delivery.

KeninDC

Rest in Peace
He has Ulcerative Colitis. It's a chronic digestive tract disease that flares and then goes into remission. During a flare people can experience great pain and bloody stool. The odd thing is that some flares are treated with steroids-which I assume are prohibited as a PED.

Assuming his illness is in remission-he should be able to play. I think his playing time during a remission is hard to predict due to conditioning, as he was not training for so long. Takes a long time to build up endurance. Hope he can be a regular starter for the rest of the season assuming his disease remains in remission.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
No his problem is with his bowels, and the surgery cleared that, it can be brought on by things like stress, but it wasn't football related at all.
Sorry, I think you misinterpreted what I was saying. I know it wasn't a football-related injury. I was just concerned that after three years of a debilitating condition, it may have taken a toll on his general stamina.

I note that he's only made 11 appearance this season, and as far as I'm aware, he hasn't been injured all that much. That would indicate there's a concern from the player / the club that he can't play week in, week out. If he has been injured, then I will be happy to stand corrected.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
He has Ulcerative Colitis. It's a chronic digestive tract disease that flares and then goes into remission. During a flare people can experience great pain and bloody stool. The odd thing is that some flares are treated with steroids-which I assume are prohibited as a PED.

Assuming his illness is in remission-he should be able to play. I think his playing time during a remission is hard to predict due to conditioning, as he was not training for so long. Takes a long time to build up endurance. Hope he can be a regular starter for the rest of the season assuming his disease remains in remission.
Thanks for the information.

This is what I was alluding to - I'm not sure we can rely on him as a regular starter. It looks like he'll be more of a bonus squad player, sadly.

.Rossi

ever get that feeling of déjà vu?
Fletcher was the first part of the attack, he probed through to Kagawa or Mata to allow the team to start short passing, your players never get complimented on starting a move, but Fletcher was the one who was the bridge today between defence, and the attacking midfielders.

Because he didn't play a 40 yard splitting pass through the midfield, doesn't mean he was "average", he did his job very well actually.
Jesus your post is aggressive and defensive...I just mean't he gave it away a lot and pulled out of a few challenges....Never said he was bad..Just didn't think he was "very good" as people were saying

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Jesus your post is aggressive and defensive...I just mean't he gave it away a lot and pulled out of a few challenges....Never said he was bad..Just didn't think he was "very good" as people were saying
Your memory must be biased by one or two misplaced passes, because his ball retention was excellent. I also thought he played a lot of good probing passes to initiate attacks.

.Rossi

Your memory must be biased by one or two misplaced passes, because his ball retention was excellent. I also thought he played a lot of good probing passes to initiate attacks.
79 passes, 92,4% successful
Ok maybe I'm wrong...I'm not here to come down on the guy...I just didn't think he was as good as others have said is all

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
I'm not being aggressive, you misread the context of my message.

.Rossi

I'm not being aggressive, you misread the context of my message.
True...Wasn't saying he was bad...Far from it...Just thought he was between average and good...Just not as good as everyone was saying :) ...Although, I was maybe being heisty and not taking what he had to go through into hand to be fair

Blue always red

Motm for me. Quick passes between the lines to Kagawa and Mata is what enabled them to play instead of being forced to come deep and collect it from Carrick whose been taking lessons in sideways passing.

Gladiator

loved his positioning and passing. he did a few pirouhettes too :drool: really understands the position well

Eugenius

Motm for me. Quick passes between the lines to Kagawa and Mata is what enabled them to play instead of being forced to come deep and collect it from Carrick whose been taking lessons in sideways passing.
Yep it perfectly played into the hands of Kagawa and Mata who like to receive the ball on the half turn, really unsettled their defence when we got them on the ball in these positions.

ravelston

Go to agree with the folk that thought he was average. To me he looked weak and a little slow, and the 5 or 6 passes he missed were mostly complete giveaways on 10-15 yard passes that should have been easy completions. Looked comfortable on the 3-5 yard sideways passes and combined well with Fellaini and Carrick.

wonnie

He has that footballing nous that a lot of our CM options lack. Knows when to hold onto the ball but is also adept at linking the play and recycling possession. Probably hasn't got the physicality to compete in the biggest games but is a very good option for a lot of games against weaker opposition.

Stack

Leave Women's Football Alone!!!
Go to agree with the folk that thought he was average. To me he looked weak and a little slow, and the 5 or 6 passes he missed were mostly complete giveaways on 10-15 yard passes that should have been easy completions. Looked comfortable on the 3-5 yard sideways passes and combined well with Fellaini and Carrick.
He played an awful lot of balls forward with great success. I thought he was very good, kept the ball speed up and was one of the main feeders of the ball to Mata. 5-6 passes missed?, more like 3 or 4 at worst I would bet. I would think from what I watched that he had close to the most touches on the ball of any player which relates to keeping the ball speed up which in turn is at the heart of the short passing interchanges we saw.

SCM

Was a good composed performance yesterday and since he has come back from his illness he has at least looked like a midfielder who will do the job for us in there. He isn't as energetic as before his surgery but considering he hasn't had a pre season like everyone else it is impressive he is putting in the performances like he is right now.

His game is now becoming pick the ball up in midfield, keep it ticking over with simple passes and directing the play which we have missed this season. It isn't likely to make him stand out but right now this role but we could have done with this for a lot of the season.

As to picking him out for the misplaced passes going by the percentage posted earlier above that was 6 in the whole game and he wasn't the only one yesterday with poor passes plus he was trying to do the quick through ball to release the front 4. Which this season hasn't happened at times so promising runs or players making space ahead aren't being found by the play being too slow.

Considering everything he is doing well post surgery recovering his fitness and adapting his game by looks of it to be the one keeping the midfield ticking over with the simple unglamorous stuff and be interesting to see what he will be like with a preseason under his belt next year.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

Mentally soft?

NotoriousISSY

$10mil and I fecked it up!
Think it helped that Carrick and Jones were calm and assured behind him. Something that the defenders haven't offered this season, particularly when passing it out.

Name Changed

weso26
I thought he did well. He was calm and assured and knitted the play well together. He won a few balls as well.

Name Changed

weso26
He gave the ball away plenty of times which put us on unnecessary pressure
6 times out of 79? I wouldn't call that "plenty". I haven't checked the percentages but I can only presume that was one of the best. It would usually be.

Timdbro

Regardless of how sharp he is (or isn't yet), the difference of having a player like him in the middle is pretty clear; he's always on the move, always looking to get into space, always looking to get the ball back as soon as he passes it.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
A bit rusty, but showing skill and passion of young Fletcher. Always wanted the ball, opened up for passes, connected well with other midfielders, and injected energy to the midfield. Best I've seen him so far in these two seasons.

reelworld

He and Fellaini complement each other. He can cover up Fellaini lack of mobility since he's quicker and has a better engine. However, if we want to stick with Fellaini and become a better team, I think we need a better player than Fletcher. I just don't think Fellaini is good enough to cover up Fletcher's weakness (lack of passing range)

LLMU

He gave us a lot of composure and his experience really shows how important he is to us for the rest of the season.

Shinjisan

Account closed by request
That was a perfect game to start him. West Ham were only interested in defending and then hoofing it up to their two lumps up front or out wide. There was hardly any pressure in the midfield.

I don't know if it is possible for him to regain more strength and get a little faster. That would help him as his passing and composure are better than most of our other midfielders.

LR7

That was a perfect game to start him. West Ham were only interested in defending and then hoofing it up to their two lumps up front or out wide. There was hardly any pressure in the midfield.

I don't know if it is possible for him to regain more strength and get a little faster. That would help him as his passing and composure are better than most of our other midfielders.
Yeah west Ham's highest pass combination was Adrian to Carroll.
I thought fletcher looked good though.

mazhar13

Kermit Inc. 2022
Scout
Fletcher offered us the penetration we needed against a team like West Ham. He always made himself available for others, kept play going very well, and played those penetrative passes that allowed Mata, Kagawa, and Rooney to play with freedom and fluidity. Yes, he faced Taylor and Nolan, a combination that is defensively weak, but he still gave us an offensive threat whenever we were not on the break. I think it helped that Carrick was in central defence as it gave Fletcher another good passing option as Carrick is good at passing the ball from deep areas.

Still, Fletcher kept the ball, very well, and played many good forward passes that allowed our front 4 (minus Young) to play at their best. He played at a fast-enough pace to allow for Kagawa, Mata, and Rooney to get very involved and drag the West Ham players all around the pitch, thus opening up spaces for our dangerous.

This is a very promising performance from Fletcher, and it shows that he can still contribute to this team even if it's not as a starter.

Status
Not open for further replies.