Darren Fletcher | 2013/14 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
From the tail end of 2008/09 up until his illness really got to him in 2010/11 Fletcher was arguably the most important player at United. He drove us on in so many games. I just remember him being imperious in the Milan Champions League ties in 2009/10. Bossed it.
Really?

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Yes. I will stand by that statement. We were dog awful at times in 2009/10 and Fletch dragged us through. Rooney scored the goals but there were times where just didn't look like making chances for him and it was Fletch who powered us through games I think of Everton (H), Portsmouth (H), even the chipped ball to Rooney in Milan. In 2009/10 our only consistent performers were Rooney, Evra and Fletch with Valencia and Nani having good half-seasons each. Everyone else was average.

Dargonk

Ninja Scout
Scout
I think people have got a bit carried away with fletcher’s performances this season, he hasn't been our best CM at all. The feel good factor, along with the fact he looks so calm on the ball have made people think he has played far better than he has. In truth he has been average. On the ball fairly good, but he provides very little on the defensive side and you can see opposition midfielders running off him relatively easy in most matches. As much as I love to see him back playing for us, he isn’t up to standard at the moment. He just doesn’t have the legs anymore, and that was a big part of his game when he was at his best.

JaffyJoe

Provides RedCafe with shit Twitter news
Let's see how he does with a full pre-season behind him. I wouldn't be surprised if he is physically struggling, he hasn't played for two years almost. He was a very reliable player during his peak, he had a tendency to do well in big games too. Had he stayed fit he would have been around Ramires level for me, who is still a good player but lacking what the very best midfielders have in some way or another. It is great to see him back and he will be around for another year or two out of loyalty even if he can't really hack it just due to loyalty and good press. On the footballing side lie others have said his engine was a big part of what made him a good player, I doubt the Flecther we know let's Sidwell get by him like that.

SambaBoy

On this forum, there was a thread "Darren Fletcher, one of the Top European midfielders?" or something similar. At the time, he was getting better and better, MOM in almost all of the big games. Carrick was struggling for form the season before, and Fletcher grasped his opportunity. He made the position his own and then it was a decision who would partner him?

His tenacity and engine was a big part of our midfield but when he got on the ball, he could move it and pick a pass. His reading of the game is very underrated, it's all well and good having the energy to go round breaking up play but having the initial brain to read the game, make interceptions etc made him a great player.

His form started to drop off and he wasn't quite putting in the top performances anymore, and due to this his reputation has probably declined but he was fighting the virus at this time without realising himself and then trying to play on.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I think people have got a bit carried away with fletcher’s performances this season, he hasn't been our best CM at all. The feel good factor, along with the fact he looks so calm on the ball have made people think he has played far better than he has. In truth he has been average. On the ball fairly good, but he provides very little on the defensive side and you can see opposition midfielders running off him relatively easy in most matches. As much as I love to see him back playing for us, he isn’t up to standard at the moment. He just doesn’t have the legs anymore, and that was a big part of his game when he was at his best.
Dargonk this is 100% my feelings also. Fletcher was always a water carrier (a very good one) but now he can't run and the fact that people are talking how good he is now says a lot about the state if our midfield. Once we get a good middle of the park and a left back. We will be fine as we have better players than almost every other team barring City.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
Yes. I will stand by that statement. We were dog awful at times in 2009/10 and Fletch dragged us through. Rooney scored the goals but there were times where just didn't look like making chances for him and it was Fletch who powered us through games I think of Everton (H), Portsmouth (H), even the chipped ball to Rooney in Milan. In 2009/10 our only consistent performers were Rooney, Evra and Fletch with Valencia and Nani having good half-seasons each. Everyone else was average.
Agreed, Fletcher was fantastic that year. Only 25 years old too. So many United fans don't even realise what they've missed out on due to his illness.

I remember a game that season, I think it was home against Fulham, where Fletcher had about 120 passes in the game with 98 or 99% accuracy, including a number of Scholes-like diagonals, forward passes, dangerous through balls and quick one-twos in the centre. He was phenomenal.

Rowem

gently, down the stream
You need to be a special kind of miserable, lifeless tosser to wish us to get rid of Fletcher without giving him a chance to regain full fitness.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
You need to be a special kind of miserable, lifeless tosser to wish us to get rid of Fletcher without giving him a chance to regain full fitness.
Ain't that the truth.

surf

Moyes will need some continuity among the players, and keeping Fletcher is a good move. Whether he can ever get back to his peak form is another matter entirely.

Amir

Does his contract end this summer? I certainly don't see a problem in giving it another year and see how it goes.

Scholesgoals

it's important to have experience in the team. Good move imo. Fletcher knows what it takes to win, and he has a strength of character that we need.

Chorley1974

Lady Ole
Let's see how he does with a full pre-season behind him. I wouldn't be surprised if he is physically struggling, he hasn't played for two years almost. He was a very reliable player during his peak, he had a tendency to do well in big games too. Had he stayed fit he would have been around Ramires level for me, who is still a good player but lacking what the very best midfielders have in some way or another. It is great to see him back and he will be around for another year or two out of loyalty even if he can't really hack it just due to loyalty and good press. On the footballing side lie others have said his engine was a big part of what made him a good player, I doubt the Flecther we know let's Sidwell get by him like that.

This pretty much sums it up for me. He was never a world class player, very good at his peak, but not world class. His form this season says as much about the low standard in our midfield as it does about him being very good again. I wish him well, and hope he can press on and improve further after a few years out. I don't understand enough about his illness to know whether it's possible for him to recover to near his full potential if fully fit.

Mauzindark

60k is a bit too much TBH. We need to re-access our options next summer and move from there imo. Though i wish we keep him just for his dressing room presence in Moyesy's formative years. Always struck me as a guy who knows his limitations and worked relentlessly towards enhancing his strengths. Many players would have wilted watching a young duo of Rooney and Ronaldo pass them by. But he just redefined himself and garnered his place in the starting XI until that unfortunate medical condition. Hats off to making a comeback to first team when a lot of people were writing off his playing career. Very professional and intelligent to boot. Maybe make him a player-coach too ?

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Moyes will need some continuity among the players, and keeping Fletcher is a good move. Whether he can ever get back to his peak form is another matter entirely.
As long as he produces the goods, I don't care if he can't reach that height again. I'm sure Moyes, Fletch and the coaching staff will be discussing how he can reinvent his game. If Giggs can do it about a dozen times, why not Fletcher?

The Mitcher

connoisseur of pot noodles and sandwiches
Probably because Giggs is one of our most talented players ever, to be fair.
Yes, but Fletcher is not too shabby himself. Not Giggs level, but I reckon he can become an important cog in the machine.

Nathan

I like the fact that we have Fletcher back in the team, he brings a quiet efficiency to the midfield alongside Carrick. I definitely think he has a major role to play for us in the next few games until the end of the season.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Could he play against Bayern? Could he be our quarter-final Giggs?

Now that van Persie is out, should we switch to 3 in midfield, because obviously we are going to be overrun in midfield, so at least by playing 3 we can do good job defensively, and give our attacking players more freedom.
I thought his performances were great when he played this season, but again, he played just few games and neither of the opponents were that great. I think his fitness level didn't look bad at all in those games, and he was excellent on the ball too.
My opinion is that, if he is ready, we should give him decent amount of game time(but nothing too much) in next two games, and see how he does, and if he does well, he should be in contention to start against Bayern in good old 451(my choice would be Carrick, Fletcher and one of Cleverley-Fellaini).

Of course, everything depends on his fitness. I personally think he has no problems health wise anymore, I just think Moyes didn't want to risk with him because our performances were really poor and it could affect him too if he played. Of course, that is just my guess.

So, opinions?

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
Makes a big difference in midfield I feel, hit a couple of nice diagonals and he's not afraid to play that 10-15 yard pass into feet for players on the half turn.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
Called it(nobody gave any opinions on my post ffs). Now 10 minutes more against City and start him vs Bayern.

Kostur

海尔的老板
Great pressing today from him, a bit off with the passing but I'd rather see him and Fellaini in the middle than Carrick there at the moment.

Carrick on the other hand has done very well at CB. Life's crazy eh.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Makes a big difference in midfield I feel, hit a couple of nice diagonals and he's not afraid to play that 10-15 yard pass into feet for players on the half turn.
This. I love Fletch's confidence and willingness to quicken things instead of standing there for an age and playing the easy ball. Maybe because he's been out for so long Fletch is playing like he's a United midfielder and not like he's been robbed off his confidence. It made a massive difference to have him in there just kee[ing it going.

mattsville

Love Fletch in the middle, has great composure, thinks and checks back, forward, left and right before choosing the right ball, helps us a lot keep possession and control games.

DevilRed

Solid as always. Amazing what he has had to go through and yet still be able to play at a high level. Hope he recaptures the form he had before his hiatus.

All 3 United

His tinfoil hat protects him from the Glazers.
Played as well as he's ever done today. Still gave the ball away 5-6 times but kept to exact instructions and always played the easy ball.

KeninDC

Rest in Peace
Favorite play today was when Fletcher, late in the game started directing traffic-had Buttner (I think) step up during a defensive sequence. We definitely need such leadership, especially when defending.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Not good enough in my view. Did okay today as he was rarely pressured at all. I like him and respect him, but isn't an elite team midfielder any more in my view. Cleverley is better.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Am I alone in thinking his performance was just average?

Granted, he wasn't bad but I didn't think he was particularly good
Fletcher was the first part of the attack, he probed through to Kagawa or Mata to allow the team to start short passing, your players never get complimented on starting a move, but Fletcher was the one who was the bridge today between defence, and the attacking midfielders.

Because he didn't play a 40 yard splitting pass through the midfield, doesn't mean he was "average", he did his job very well actually.

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
He does simple little things that can go unnoticed but which are vital to helping the team tick and flow. He's definitely picked up a few things from Scholes over the years.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
The worry was that Fletcher wouldn't be able to cope with the physical rigours, but he went through the 90 minutes with ease. Can he do it twice in a week?

He's just a natural all-round midfielder, something we lack - presses well, makes himself available to take the ball from team mates, makes penetrative passes. Would be great if we could get him on the pitch at this level week in, week out.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
The worry was that Fletcher wouldn't be able to cope with the physical rigours, but he went through the 90 minutes with ease. Can he do it twice in a week?

He's just a natural all-round midfielder, something we lack - presses well, makes himself available to take the ball from team mates, makes penetrative passes. Would be great if we could get him on the pitch at this level week in, week out.
Of course he can do it twice a week, why can't he? he's 30, not 40.

Zen86

He may have lost a bit since his illness but he's more mobile than Carrick, he links the midfield and attack far better.

Status
Not open for further replies.