Darren Fletcher - Technical Director

Ralph1386

Couldn’t find a thread for him but please merge this if there was already one.

What exactly is his role in the club now? And what are his coaching credentials to be standing next to Ragnick shouting out instructions to our players?

I’m not trying to take the piss. I honestly don’t know what his coaching experience is. I know Ole brought him back as a coach in his staff last year. If anyone knows more, please share.

Skeppy2099

Supports
United
I trust him more than Ragnick. At least he understands what it takes to be successful. Ralf and his boys don’t know anything outside the MLS or the let-Bayern-beat-us-liga. Hopefully he’s still here well after the current staff are gone.

ArmchairCritic

You got pets me too mines are dead
He was on the training pitch when Ole was still manager, since Ole has been sacked he has been front and centre on the touchline whilst Phelan has been barely visible. McKenna, Carrick and Pert have also all left too. Initially I felt Fletcher was covering for a loss of staff but he’s still there even after we have added some of Rangnick’s people in. It’s all a bit weird really, he’s certainly making his presence felt and I do wonder if the Rangnick appointment is as much to support his role longer term than it is to tide us over for the next few months. Essentially it feels like he and Rangnick are spending the next 6 months assessing the playing group at close quarters.

Last edited:

Red00012

He was on the training pitch when Ole was still manager, since Ole has been sacked he has been front and centre on the touchline whilst Phelan has been barely visible. McKenna, Carrick and Pert have also all left too. Initially I felt Fletcher was covering for a loss of staff but he’s still there even after we have added some of Rangnick’s people in. It’s all a bit weird really, he’s certainly making his presence felt and I do wonder if the Rangnick appointment is as much to support his role longer term than it is to tide us over for the next few months. Essentially it feels like he and Rangnick and spending the next 6 months assessing the playing group at close quarters.
Anyone see Fletcher giving instructions towards the end of the game and Mike Phelan leaning against the brick wall like he was some sort of security personnel :lol:

ArmchairCritic

Anyone see Fletcher giving instructions towards the end of the game and Mike Phelan leaning against the brick wall like he was some sort of security personnel :lol:
:lol:

Yesterday is the first time I’ve seen Phelan in ages.

Also was intrigued to see Ronaldo in a cordial dialogue with Fletcher after his substitution.

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout
Thanks for this, I hope people will stop with "why is Fletcher in the training, next to Rangnick" posts all the time.

Also wasn't Zidane part of trainings too when he was Technical director or General manager (or maybe advisor)?

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic
His role is quite different because he is a director who is also technical.

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
He was on the training pitch when Ole was still manager, since Ole has been sacked he has been front and centre on the touchline whilst Phelan has been barely visible. McKenna, Carrick and Pert have also all left too. Initially I felt Fletcher was covering for a loss of staff but he’s still there even after we have added some of Rangnick’s people in. It’s all a bit weird really, he’s certainly making his presence felt and I do wonder if the Rangnick appointment is as much to support his role longer term than it is to tide us over for the next few months. Essentially it feels like he and Rangnick are spending the next 6 months assessing the playing group at close quarters.
Were my eyes deceiving me.. I swore I saw him on the bench against Newcastle?

Corridor of Uncertainty

When he was given the job as 'technical director' I thought it would be more in the background, not literally prowling the technical area on match days

Tom Van Persie

No relation
Thanks for this, I hope people will stop with "why is Fletcher in the training, next to Rangnick" posts all the time.

Also wasn't Zidane part of trainings too when he was Technical director or General manager (or maybe advisor)?
Yeah Zidane travelled with the first team on matchdays and helped out in training. It's not unusual, Dortmund have also done the same thing for years.

luke511

:lol:

Yesterday is the first time I’ve seen Phelan in ages.

Also was intrigued to see Ronaldo in a cordial dialogue with Fletcher after his substitution.
Ronaldo was taken off for Matic in the very last minute 2-0 up v Villarreal, and was taken off for Fred in the last minute last night, must be Fletcher at work. He was probably asking "what's the point?" :lol:

ArmchairCritic

I like Fletcher being involved but I am not sure I buy the idea that he’s needed to help an experienced coach ‘get his views across’. I think it speaks to the difficult internal politics of the squad.

ArmchairCritic

Were my eyes deceiving me.. I swore I saw him on the bench against Newcastle?
McKenna is Ipswich manager now so it definitely was not him, I guess the young coach you’re referring to is Eric Ramsay.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I actually like to see him there getting involved. I’ve always thought he knew what he was talking about when I’ve heard him interviewed.

Frank Grimes

Everyone is confused about his role. Never knew technical directors are involved in coaching. Does he be on the training ground? If not what the feck is he doing shouting instructions on the sideline?
If he is a coach why was he given the technical title that suggested he would be more involved in planning and transfers and the like?
Nothing about it makes sense.

Mickeza

still gets no respect
Deepthroating information to Howard Nurse.
I like Fletcher being involved but I am not sure I buy the idea that he’s needed to help an experienced coach ‘get his views across’. I think it speaks to the difficult internal politics of the squad.
RR is 63 years old, hasn’t won anything of note and is only here for 6 months. He’s taking over a dressing room of World Cup and CL winners and highly paid internationals - he has little experience with this profile of dressing room - so yes I think having Fletcher, who is very much here long term and has won lots of shit as a player to act as a conduit for his authority will be super helpful. Getting the players onside will be his biggest challenge - we know he has the tactics and coaching ideas.

TheGame

RR is 63 years old, hasn’t won anything of note and is only here for 6 months. He’s taking over a dressing room of World Cup and CL winners and highly paid internationals - he has little experience with this profile of dressing room - so yes I think having Fletcher, who is very much here long term and has won lots of shit as a player to act as a conduit for his authority will be super helpful. Getting the players onside will be his biggest challenge - we know he has the tactics and coaching ideas.
Spot on. Also I’m sure if RR didn’t want him there, he would have said but is using his experience of the club.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
I‘m not sure this is such a bad thing. Fletcher seems to really know his stuff, as well as being a United man. I was reading a few weeks ago that he’s known for having a hard edge to him as well. With Rangnick being short of staff, I think all those aspects are useful, and if he’s in on both coaching and next season’s recruitment it’s going to help him as a longer term TD. He’ll be better off knowing all of that if he’s going to be involved in hiring coaches later on.

Maybe the club should clarify that he’s joined the coaching staff until the end of the season.

ArmchairCritic

Completely agree, especially in an interim period and I imagine he won’t be doing anything similar if we hire ten Haag for instance. Yesterday was interesting from a tactical perspective because it felt like we took a step back and setup in a more similar way to how we played vs Arsenal, the only real constant from a coaching perspective between those games being Fletcher of course.

I think it’s important to acknowledge Fletcher’s involvement and ponder how the dynamics of him, Rangnick as an advisor and whoever becomes manager will work.

-Supreme-

I actually like to see him there getting involved. I’ve always thought he knew what he was talking about when I’ve heard him interviewed.
Tbf Ole was a good talker too when he told us all that his intention was to play a high line and proactive style of football but we all know how that ended up.

We recruited an experienced coach for a reason, we should leave this responsibility with someone who has higher credentials IMO

Solius

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Staff
I trust him more than Ragnick. At least he understands what it takes to be successful. Ralf and his boys don’t know anything outside the MLS or the let-Bayern-beat-us-liga. Hopefully he’s still here well after the current staff are gone.
Where to even start with this :lol:

Conor

Good luck getting that promotion.

ZupZup

I feel like some fans seem to not want anyone with a history at United near the coaching team at the club since things with Ole went sour… it’s stupid.

Fletcher has done his coaching badges, he speaks about the game really well and I am glad he’s still highly involved at the club. He also would not be doing what he is doing without Ralf wanting him to. I used to love watching him do punditry because it was funny how much better his analysis was than the people he was working with. Crack on Fletch!

LilyWhiteSpur

Supports
Tottenham
RR and DF seemed to be putting out different messages to the players. DF was clapping and giving the thumbs up while RR seemed to feel different.

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
I'm convinced the cafe will moan at anything now.

Devil81

Like others have said I was totally confused to why he was such a vocal voice on the touchline yesterday, RR was even standing a few yards away.

I've been lost with our bench for months now, there just seems to be an absolute load of mixed individuals I've never seen or heard of. Like I said in the other thread it appeared Phelan may have not even had a seat during yesterday's match.

What is Phelan doing now anyway, you've got Ralfs lads, Fletcher getting involved, so what does Phelan actually do?

Totally lost with it all, seems a mess to me.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Tbf Ole was a good talker too when he told us all that his intention was to play a high line and proactive style of football but we all know how that ended up.

We recruited an experienced coach for a reason, we should leave this responsibility with someone who has higher credentials IMO
I’m talking about interviews before Fletcher was even employed. He’s a smart guy who knows what he’s talking about.

Fletcher has his coaching badges too. Is a coach who has only coached MLS any better? I don’t know if it makes any difference

Ralph1386

What Fletcher has won as a player holds absolutely no bearing on his abilities as a coach or manager. Most of the time these two things are not connected. Zidane is an exception, not the rule. Sir Alex was not a great player but a great Manager. Maradonna was a great player and average manager.

-Supreme-

I’m talking about interviews before Fletcher was even employed. He’s a smart guy who knows what he’s talking about.

Fletcher has his coaching badges too. Is a coach who has only coached MLS any better? I don’t know if it makes any difference
Who knows who is better but I would leave the responsibility to Ralf and his coaching staff that he brought in