Darron Gibson - is he good enough for Everton?

Name Changed

weso26
In my opinion, no.

I have closely followed Gibson's progress for years, and although he had potential, he has not fulfilled it at all.

Internationally, he is nowhere near good enough for Ireland. There are so many players that should be in the squad instead of him; Lee Carsley, Andy Reid, Chris McCann and Keith Fahey would all offer far more.

I don't think he is good enough for United and to be honest I don't think he will ever be close to it. I look at players like Tom Cleverly, Davide Petrucci and Matty James and I think they have far more to their game than he does.

What do you think? Is Darron Gibson good enough and does anybody have real hope that he will be some day?

Feed Me

I'm hungry
He seems pretty capable on the ball - nothing special though. He doesn't seem very mobile which can be overlooked if you're sensational on the ball, but he isn't.

He's okay, but a bit pointless overall. We have a host of better players in that area. There is literally no reason to play Gibson - unless we have an injury/suspension crisis.

Name Changed

weso26
Well that's the thing. He is ok on the ball when he has space but he is extremely slow. He is not great at winning it and in my opinion, does not have too much to offer. I think he's a Championship player to be honest.

Brophs

The One and Only
No, not for us, IMO. He'll get a Premier League team, but he strikes me as the sort who will slide when he leaves United. I'm not yet convinced about his attitude and/or desire.

Name Changed

weso26
No, not for us, IMO. He'll get a Premier League team, but he strikes me as the sort who will slide when he leaves United. I'm not yet convinced about his attitude and/or desire.
I agree. The mental side doesn't seem to be there.

He really made Ireland look so poor when he came on against France. With all due respect to Glenn Whelan, if he looks twice the player as you then there is something wrong with your game.

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Well that's the thing. He is ok on the ball when he has space but he is extremely slow. He is not great at winning it and in my opinion, does not have too much to offer. I think he's a Championship player to be honest.
Defo not for a 2 man midfield. But then again, as I said, I don't see what he brings to a three man midfield either.

He's one of those players that does everything to a 6 out of 10 standard, but nothing outstandingly.

His primary problem is that he hasn't got the engine to be class at the top level. Like I said, not a problem if you can take the piss out of the oppo by keeping the ball and playing penetrative passes, but he doesn't.

Name Changed

weso26
The likes of Matty James and Davide Petrucci will surely push him out of the picture by the start of next season so?

Brophs

The One and Only
WTF? What are you guys basing these comments on? His 8mins today? What the feck again?
No. What would give you that idea? It's a thread about the player, not his performance today.

rednev

There is non worthy of worship except God
There will be better players from abroad available at some point in the future. He'll have to up his game if he wants any chance of remaining at the club long term.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
The likes of Matty James and Davide Petrucci will surely push him out of the picture by the start of next season so?
Not sure, I'd rate James and Petrucci of having more potential than Gibson but they're both still around 18 at the moment so it may be too soon for them unless Petrucci can really kick on. I'd also be worried if I was Gibson about the fact that we're constantly linked with Rodwell as well.

Nate Dogg

Don't Make Me Angry
sometimes i wonder why gets picked, i can only assume is that Fergie wants to increase his value so he can flog him.

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
WTF? What are you guys basing these comments on? His 8mins today? What the feck again?
Its fecking insanity round here now. Football is wasted on a lot of the people on this forum.

Maybe the OP heard Eamonn Dunphy slate him after the Ireland game (despite the fact that like today he was a late sub not given much time to do anything) and is mental enough to agree with him.

The last big game that Gibson started for United was the FA Cup semi last year and he was fecking brilliant in that.

Christ, have we not learned anything from Darren Fletcher, that midfield box to box players often only come into their own in their mid 20s?

Andy Reid and Lee Carsley.

Christ, they are exactly the names that Dunphy was spouting on Wednesday.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
How much first team football has he played the last 4 or 5 years? This thread is ridiculous tbh. Give the fella chance ffs. When he did get a few games last year he did well. Fletcher took several years to get there, surely that should give you some indication that you cannot write players off, especially when they haven't been given a lot of games yet to prove themselves.

and what is is with this place? even when we win, theres a thread slagging someone off or looking for a scapegoat for some reason. Every fecking week, someone different. Are you lot only happy when you're whining or what?

Feed Me

I'm hungry
Its fecking insanity round here now. Football is wasted on a lot of the people on this forum.

Maybe the OP heard Eamonn Dunphy slate him after the Ireland game (despite the fact that like today he was a late sub not given much time to do anything) and is mental enough to agree with him.

The last big game that Gibson started for United was the FA Cup semi last year and he was fecking brilliant in that.

Christ, have we not learned anything from Darren Fletcher, that midfield box to box players often only come into their own in their mid 20s?
Is Gibson box-to-box?

He barely fecking moves from the centre circle.

He won't make it here - too many good players at a good age to get ahead of.

As I said, jack of all trades, master of none.

The Physio

No.

Why did he come on instead of Anderson today, not that it mattered either way?
I'd guess Fergie wants to give him a run today, and then again on Wednesday night so he can have had a run of minutes and see does it help his performance.

prateik

a ferrari stuck in the garage
worth keeping at the club .. the coaches clearly rate him.. if he can kick on and start imposing himself more , it'll be great

good to see fergie giving him a chance atleast

championo

Top Stalker
He is coming from an injury, if SAF did not rate him, he would be lining up for the reserves instead of being in the first team.
Will be very good for me if I don't come into this thread again.

::sonny::

He is too slow at 360°, this guy have to prosecute his career in another club

He is on the same way of Eagles, Martin, Bardsley, Ebanks-Blake, David Jones, M. Stewart, Chadwick, Richardson, F.Campbell, D.Simpson...

This is quite evident

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
For everyone that makes it, someone won't. It's not just about darron.

You always look to improve your squad. If we think we can do better we will. Some players are fortunate with time and opportunities, some aren't.

It will be hard for him. It will be very hard for him. At the end of the day, it's not our decision though. There is so much talent coming through it WILL be hard for him

The thing with fletcher is that he found himself involved a lot in the team, even in unfavored positions. On the back of last season, because of injuries and because there is no spaces we've not seen Gibson.

We might see him in a game or two - maybe even midweek....but we need to go on a run in a league. Will we pick Gibson? I don't think so. I say that as an Irish man. I'm not biased. I just think we have potential in the squad better then him and unless he starts getting a run in the side, he will be pushed to the side somewhat.

Not everyone is Fletcher. People shouldn't fall into that trap. Foster would be our number one!!! He might be oneday, but 5+ games down the line people are singing a different tune.

::sonny::

Would be better for him first of all

At his age it's useless to stay at United playing 200 minutes a season...

If Hargo was fit during the pre-season, probably Gibson now was in another club

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
I really used to like him in the reserves a few years ago

I just can't see it though... he's a nice enough player, he just doesn't look like he's got the athleticism or the desire

Beast of a shot on him, mind

kundalini

From what I've seen to date, I can't see him becoming a regular. Apart from his superb shooting, he doesn't offer much. Realistically this period of time with Hargreaves out and Scholes on the decline, was his opportunity and the fact that he hasn't been featuring says it all really. In the past Fletcher learned his trade getting games on the right side of midfield but with all the competition for places on the wing, Gibson seems unlikely to get games on the right.

He'll make a very good living from the game but I'd be surprised if he's still at United in 2 years' time. At a club like Hull, his goals from midfield might be enough to be a regular starter.

Amir

Realistically this period of time with Hargreaves out and Scholes on the decline, was his opportunity and the fact that he hasn't been featuring says it all really.
Gibson isn't really a Scholes type of player, while despite everything - we've had quality playing down the middle, such as Fletcher, Carrick, Giggs and Anderson. It's hardly as if there's a huge void and he still wasn't given the chance.

Sometimes, as you said, it's about giving a player the 'Fletcher' treatment. Darren got a lot of playing time as we didn't really have any better options anyway at times, and got better. Gibson isn't so lucky. He could be a good player, even for us I reckon, but he isn't a youngster and with all the other options we've got, it's unlikely to happen.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Gibson is 3 years younger than Fletcher. How good was Fletcher 3 years ago?
it's not that simple though. Fletcher came about at a good time.

Now take Gibson. Ok scholes and Giggs have a season or so in them. Is Gibson making any inroads? Well not at the minute..You've threats from possible purchases. You've threats in the youth coming through who may have less experience but who may need less time and incidently who MAY be rated higher....

It depends how highly we rate him...

In addition we're not dumb. A players value comes into it as well. You have to estimate players worth and their potential. How Good they can be? We're not privvy to that sort of insight. It's up to be Gibson to be THAT good because ultimately people are wanting him to be a first teamer - no doubt himself, not just a squad player on the fringes

He has to be good enough and better then we have coming through else why risk losing potentially a better player?...It is such a dangerous way of thinking when people compare his situation with Fletchers because can we really afford to carry a midfielder for 2 or three years? Is he good enough? will he furfil his potential?..

I don't know'm not alone but we can only speculate and it don't matter who's right or who's wrong.

datura

Please post in paragraphs!

Gibson is just coming back from injury so is a bit undercooked, he'll probably be more involved on Wednesday and against Spurs in the Carling Cup so will be a better time to assess him then and where he's at.

RonaldoVII

it's not that simple though. Fletcher came about at a good time.

Now take Gibson. Ok scholes and Giggs have a season or so in them. Is Gibson making any inroads? Well not at the minute..You've threats from possible purchases. You've threats in the youth coming through who may have less experience but who may need less time and incidently who MAY be rated higher....

It depends how highly we rate him...

In addition we're not dumb. A players value comes into it as well. You have to estimate players worth and their potential. How Good they can be? We're not privvy to that sort of insight. It's up to be Gibson to be THAT good because ultimately people are wanting him to be a first teamer - no doubt himself, not just a squad player on the fringes

He has to be good enough and better then we have coming through else why risk losing potentially a better player?...It is such a dangerous way of thinking when people compare his situation with Fletchers because can we really afford to carry a midfielder for 2 or three years? Is he good enough? will he furfil his potential?..

I don't know'm not alone but we can only speculate and it don't matter who's right or who's wrong.
That's a good point you bring up. Our squad is very big at the moment. We have at least two players per position so in terms of numbers we don't need to buy anyone. On the other hand, our starting XI is not as strong as it perhaps was, or should be, so that means if we're to get better it's going to have to be individuals being replaced IMO.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Don't compare him to Fletcher's progression. Fletcher has more pace, much better passer, covers more ground, stronger, just about everything he did around the same age was above Gibson's current level. If Gibson is prepared to be 8th choice midfielder for most of 20s, then he'll remain at United. Otherwise, he'll move and have a career similar to other former United youth prospects that stalled out.

kietotheworld

Fletcher, Carrick, Scholes, Anderson, Giggs and O'Shea are all ahead of him in the pecking order at the moment, he'll have to be very special to make it.