Darron Gibson - is he good enough for Everton?

Name Changed

weso26
Huh? Are you kidding? Have you even watched them play?

Matty James may never play first-team football at United and Petrucci is still finding his feet with our fecking academy!
No. I have never seen them playing. Ever.

There is also Tom Cleverly and Adem Ljajic to come through.

We all know you rate Gibson higher than Anderson, but realistically, he has nowhere near the ability of the likes of Fletcher, Carrick, Anderson and Hargreaves.

Regardless of whether James and Petrucci will make it, my question was in relation to Darron Gibson, not those.

Name Changed

weso26
Its fecking insanity round here now. Football is wasted on a lot of the people on this forum.

Maybe the OP heard Eamonn Dunphy slate him after the Ireland game (despite the fact that like today he was a late sub not given much time to do anything) and is mental enough to agree with him.

The last big game that Gibson started for United was the FA Cup semi last year and he was fecking brilliant in that.

Christ, have we not learned anything from Darren Fletcher, that midfield box to box players often only come into their own in their mid 20s?

Andy Reid and Lee Carsley.

Christ, they are exactly the names that Dunphy was spouting on Wednesday.
Do you think I base all my opinions on what Dunphy says? Cop on. And he was not a late sub on Wednesday. He was an early sub. And in relation to that match, Andy Reid/Lee Carsley would at least have contributed something rather than simply stand in the centre circle and give the ball away over and over again. Plus, Gibson is not box to box. He is too slow to be.

Eamon Dunphy. For feck sake.

Name Changed

weso26
How much first team football has he played the last 4 or 5 years? This thread is ridiculous tbh. Give the fella chance ffs. When he did get a few games last year he did well. Fletcher took several years to get there, surely that should give you some indication that you cannot write players off, especially when they haven't been given a lot of games yet to prove themselves.

and what is is with this place? even when we win, theres a thread slagging someone off or looking for a scapegoat for some reason. Every fecking week, someone different. Are you lot only happy when you're whining or what?
Can people not have an opinion on a player or something? What the hell is that about? There are threads every week on whether the likes of Anderson, Berbatov, Nani and Valencia are good enough. There are threads every week slagging off John O'Shea. But when Darron Gibson is mentioned, you get annoyed at that?

Also, I apologise for not waiting until United lost a match before mentioning my opinion. I didn't realise that if United win a match, you cannot make a negative comment about any player.

Who the hell is whining anyway? Only delusional people think every single player is going to make it at United. Asking opinions on whether one particular player will make it is not whining.

And why the feck would anyone compare him to Fletcher? He is nothing like Fletcher and if people continue to rate him in comparison to Fletch, then he hasn't a fecking hope of making it. At 22, Fletcher was a good central midfielder. Huge difference in the two players.

johnmufc

Based on his performances last season, my thoughts were that he could well go on to be a good squad player for the club. (Much like Darren Fletcher was until about a year or two ago).

This season he hasn't really gotten many opportunities, and in the few he has gotten, he hasn't really shined like he did last season.
Now, I don't follow Ireland, but I'll take your word that he is poor for them.

So can Darron Gibson make it? Perhaps - I still feel he could be a decent backup player. He won't ever become a first team player, but perhaps moving on would benefit his career. I reckon he'd be first choice at a Bolton or a Hull City.

Name Changed

weso26
Based on his performances last season, my thoughts were that he could well go on to be a good squad player for the club. (Much like Darren Fletcher was until about a year or two ago).

This season he hasn't really gotten many opportunities, and in the few he has gotten, he hasn't really shined like he did last season.
Now, I don't follow Ireland, but I'll take your word that he is poor for them.

So can Darron Gibson make it? Perhaps - I still feel he could be a decent backup player. He won't ever become a first team player, but perhaps moving on would benefit his career. I reckon he'd be first choice at a Bolton or a Hull City.
Maybe a stint on loan would do him some good? He did ok at Wolves without setting the world on fire but he had injury problems.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Do you think I base all my opinions on what Dunphy says? Cop on. And he was not a late sub on Wednesday. He was an early sub. And in relation to that match, Andy Reid/Lee Carsley would at least have contributed something rather than simply stand in the centre circle and give the ball away over and over again. Plus, Gibson is not box to box. He is too slow to be.

Eamon Dunphy. For feck sake.
To be fair he is box to box. It's just when he finally reaches the box, the 90 minutes are up...:(

mariachi-19

I may be the devil, but i'm not a monster
Gibson is our long term replacement for a Scholes like player. Until Scholesy retires, he won't get adequate game time, but he's aware of this and will take his chance playing in the Carling cup and F.A. cup. Which is fair enough and he knows this.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
No. I have never seen them playing. Ever.

There is also Tom Cleverly and Adem Ljajic to come through.

We all know you rate Gibson higher than Anderson
, but realistically, he has nowhere near the ability of the likes of Fletcher, Carrick, Anderson and Hargreaves.

Regardless of whether James and Petrucci will make it, my question was in relation to Darron Gibson, not those.
I have never said anything of the sort, don't be a tit.

Who knows whether Gibson or any of the names above will have a career at United. You implied that James or Petrucci would take Gibson's place in the squad by the beginning of next season. This is muppetry of the first order.

Name Changed

weso26
I have never said anything of the sort, don't be a tit.
Well when you make threads like this, then it definitely makes it look like you do prefer Gibson. In fact, you said that you had been thinking for a while that you would rather see Gibson's name on the teamsheet, regardless of the fact that you though Anderson had more potential. Maybe you went back on your argument after the opening post, but to be honest I didn't read it after that because I honestly don't believe there is any comparison between Gibson and Anderson. Preferring Gibson on the teamsheet over Anderson is in my opinion "muppetry of the first order".

Who knows whether Gibson or any of the names above will have a career at United. You implied that James or Petrucci would take Gibson's place in the squad by the beginning of next season. This is muppetry of the first order.
Obviously nobody knows who is going to have a career at United and who won't. My point was that I believe that players such as Matty James and Davide Petrucci have far more to their game than Darron Gibson does. There is nothing wrong with speculating as to who will have a future at the club and who won't. In my opinion, Petrucci certainly has a better chance.

And also, James will be 19 at the start of next season, and Petrucci will just be 19. Who says that they can't get the Coca Cola Cup place on the bench that Gibson seems to possess? They have to break through some time, why not next season? Ljajic and Cleverly also.

Instead of attacking little things in various posts, why not just debate the question that I asked which is if Darron Gibson is or ever will be good enough for Manchester United?

charleysurf

Obnoxious, abusive bellend who is best ignored
Anyone who echoes the views of Eamon Dunphy has already lost the "debate"

Name Changed

weso26
Anyone who echoes the views of Eamon Dunphy has already lost the "debate"
So you think Darron Gibson has a great future ahead of him at United?

Dunphy says a lot of things, some right, some wrong. It does not mean everything he says is wrong. He says Wayne Rooney is brilliant. Does that mean he's actually shite?

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Well when you make threads like this, then it definitely makes it look like you do prefer Gibson. In fact, you said that you had been thinking for a while that you would rather see Gibson's name on the teamsheet, regardless of the fact that you though Anderson had more potential. Maybe you went back on your argument after the opening post, but to be honest I didn't read it after that because I honestly don't believe there is any comparison between Gibson and Anderson. Preferring Gibson on the teamsheet over Anderson is in my opinion "muppetry of the first order".

Obviously nobody knows who is going to have a career at United and who won't. My point was that I believe that players such as Matty James and Davide Petrucci have far more to their game than Darron Gibson does. There is nothing wrong with speculating as to who will have a future at the club and who won't. In my opinion, Petrucci certainly has a better chance.

And also, James will be 19 at the start of next season, and Petrucci will just be 19. Who says that they can't get the Coca Cola Cup place on the bench that Gibson seems to possess? They have to break through some time, why not next season? Ljajic and Cleverly also.

Instead of attacking little things in various posts, why not just debate the question that I asked which is if Darron Gibson is or ever will be good enough for Manchester United?
Because it's a stupid "debate", which wasn't helped when you pluck names of other youngsters seemingly at random - almost all of whom don't even play in the same position - and claim they will take his place in the squad.

Chances are he won't make it at United, like the vast majority of young players in our reserves/academy. The odds are stacked against him and it's hardly a bold prediction to make the claim you did in your OP. He's clearly not as naturally talented as someone like Anderson, which is why he didn't cost 17 million quid.

However, he made big strides last season and was singled out for a lot of praise by SAF, who obviously sees something in him. I wouldn't go writing him off after a couple of poor displays after returning from a long-term injury. I'm inclined to give players like Gibson the benefit of the doubt, especially when a manager like SAF rates them enough to play them as much as he has done with Gibson. Feel free to disagree.

Name Changed

weso26
Well I do disagree. I agree he will be given more chances, but I don't think he has enough to his game to take his chances.

Why is it a stupid debate? You debate every week whether Nani is good enough? You debate every week as to how good Berbatov is? Just because a player is young does not mean people can not have an opinion as to how good he is or can become.

Obviously most players don't make it through the academy and reserves. Most players at the club will never even play one second for the first team. But the fact that Gibson has played and is playing would show that he has more of a shot than most. If he is seen as a first team player now, there is nothing wrong with people having opinions on his ability or potential ability. If we can do it for every other player, I don't see why Gibson merits an exemption.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
Well I do disagree. I agree he will be given more chances, but I don't think he has enough to his game to take his chances.

Why is it a stupid debate? You debate every week whether Nani is good enough? You debate every week as to how good Berbatov is? Just because a player is young does not mean people can not have an opinion as to how good he is or can become.

Obviously most players don't make it through the academy and reserves. Most players at the club will never even play one second for the first team. But the fact that Gibson has played and is playing would show that he has more of a shot than most. If he is seen as a first team player now, there is nothing wrong with people having opinions on his ability or potential ability. If we can do it for every other player, I don't see why Gibson merits an exemption.
It would be surprising (and disappointing) if the expensive players like Nani and Berbatov don't make it, which is why they cause so much debate.

I don't think many here would be surprised at all if Gibson ends up earning a living in the Championship, or in an even lower league. Which is why I said your OP is hardly a bold claim.

As for this thread, it's the timing which got most people's backs up, on his first league appearance since a nasty injury when he's still obviously a bit rusty. He performed well last season, we can't even have an informed debate about his future until he gets more of a chance to show if he's progressed as a player or not.

Name Changed

weso26
It would be surprising (and disappointing) if the expensive players like Nani and Berbatov don't make it, which is why they cause so much debate.

I don't think many here would be surprised at all if Gibson ends up earning a living in the Championship, or in an even lower league. Which is why I said your OP is hardly a bold claim.

As for this thread, it's the timing which got most people's backs up, on his first league appearance since a nasty injury when he's still obviously a bit rusty. He performed well last season, we can't even have an informed debate about his future until he gets more of a chance to show if he's progressed as a player or not.
He only played ten minutes or so. The timing of the thread had absolutely nothing to do with how he played in his brief little cameo. It was something that has been on my mind for a long time. And only some people got their backs up, most actually gave their opinions. One clown dismissed it just because Eamon Dunphy doesn't think Gibson is good enough for international football. What it has to do with Dunphy I'll never know. The opinion is based on the last 4 years, and not the ten minutes he played yesterday.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
He only played ten minutes or so. The timing of the thread had absolutely nothing to do with how he played in his brief little cameo. It was something that has been on my mind for a long time. And only some people got their backs up, most actually gave their opinions. One clown dismissed it just because Eamon Dunphy doesn't think Gibson is good enough for international football. What it has to do with Dunphy I'll never know. The opinion is based on the last 4 years, and not the ten minutes he played yesterday.
Fair enough. Fwiw, I don't think he'll make it either.

Even when he was playing really well last season you could see he was a limited player and the less said about his form for Ireland the better.

I'm prepared to be open-minded though. He improved a lot between last season and the season before. Let's wait and see if he can do the same again.

Name Changed

weso26
I agree, he has improved. My thoughts on him are mostly based on what he has done for Ireland. He hasn't played that much for United. He hasn't impressed me at all playing in green. He may make it, hopefully he does. But he will need to improve his game, big time. You never know I suppose.

BAMSOLA

Has issues!
Supports
A Crack Habit.
I think if he was ever to make an impact then it needed to be when Carrick was out of sorts at the beggining of the season, now that Carrick is coming back to form I think we have to let him go preferably in Jan.

Would make a good signing for Portsmouth or Stoke, perhaps even Hull.

I'd then like to see us go for Hamsik who is definately the type of player our CM needs.

Name Changed

weso26
4 years?

He's only been given first team chances in the last year
I said I've been watching his progress for 4 years or so. MUTV shows most of the reserve games. You can watch him there. Also, I have seen him a lot for Ireland. Plus I used to go to a lot of the U21 matches before they started moving them all over the country. I have seen enough of him to form an opinion. Obviously it's only my opinion, and it may well turn out to be proved wrong.

KingEric7

Stupid Conspiracy Enthusiast Wanker
Huh? Are you kidding? Have you even watched them play?

Matty James may never play first-team football at United and Petrucci is still finding his feet with our fecking academy!
To be fair to Petrucci, he was making an imprint on the reserves before his injury. Don't think there's much doubt that he'll be in the reckoning for Ole's team again after he's had a run of games either.

Fletcher, Carrick, Scholes, Anderson, Giggs and O'Shea are all ahead of him in the pecking order at the moment, he'll have to be very special to make it.
This is the problem before we even debate his talent. Not only this, but you've also got Hargreaves to come back some time within the next 3 or 4 years, which is when Gibson should be coming into his own. Not only that, but I find it impossible to think that at least one of one our younger midfielders won't go on to be fairly special.

mjs020294

Gibson was good enough to be retained by United. He has more natural talent than Fletcher so it way too early to give up on him. Plenty of people were suggesting Fletcher was not good enough for United two or three years ago.

Plechazunga

Grammar partisan who sleeps with a real life Ryan
Where Albert Stubbins scored a diving header
he doesn't have more natural talent than Fletcher. Fletcher looked a terrific player at 16, to the extent that he would have joined the first team squad had he not got injured. When he came back from injury he took a while to get back to form, but at 18 he was running games and showing a great range of passing at reserve level.

Gibson looked a very good passer at 17-18, I had high hopes for him, but he wasn't at the same level.

Name Changed

weso26
Jaysus, Fletcher always had more talent, or at least looked like he had more. Comparing Gibson to Fletcher is silly.

mjs020294

Jaysus, Fletcher always had more talent, or at least looked like he had more. Comparing Gibson to Fletcher is silly.
No one is comparing them, just saying let the professionals at the club asses him.

Fletcher has game smarts, he simply gets it, whereas other players with the same(or more) talent often don't develop that way. The Nevilles are the perfect example: Phil always had more talent/Skill but Gary has the better football brain.

Developing a football brain is one of the biggest challenges developing young talented players. SAF and his team have decided Gibson was worth more time, and that is good enough for me.

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
His main problem is that he doesn't have the dynamism of Fletcher or the passing ability of Carrick to really stand out. As Named Changed said, his main ability is scoring belters but that can be easily shut down by any defence with a good understanding between defence and midfield. Other than that he might struggled.

Having said that, he did impress me during the pre-season when he played out wide on the right, more so than Tosic for example. He has a decent cross in him. And I know it's only pre-season so you can't really gauge much from it but it's still promising. If you're not the master of a trade like Jonny Evans, the least you can be is versatile.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Gibson is the only young player that Fergie has said time and time again is the nearest to making the break through, the likes of Welbeck and Macheda take all the head lines with them being strikers but SAF seems to rate Gibson as the one who's nearest the first team

LLMU

he wont get his chance at United at the moment. A loan out will do him a world of good. Of the games i have seen him play, he seemed to drift in and out of games which is bad for a midfield player

Rado_N

Yaaas Broncos!
I saw an interview with Scholes on MUTV, a few weeks back I think it was, and he was talking about up and coming players and he specifically mentioned Gibson, saying he likes him and he plays in a similar role to him.