Darron Gibson - is he good enough for Everton?

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
With all due respect that doesn't fly. Phizza asked to move. In a bid to go to a place that would get him a world cup ticket in the England team. IIRC. Thus you really can't compare his situation to Gibson's in any shape or form.

Well your assumptions are baseless. To put it mildly.

He will get games. The season is long. Besides Hargreaves return will make it easier for him to get games. For a fit Hargreaves will mean more rotation in a midfield in which the only untouchable is Fletcher ATM.

Rather I'm sorry to disappoint you:D. You've never been Fletcher or O'shea. The two players I was referring to as former scape goat an the favorite easy targets of the cafe until recently.

No one is saying his irreplaceable. We are just saying talk of those seemingly more natural talents in the reserves suddenly forcing him out in the near future is silly. Just like talk that he isn't good enough when SAF is clearly saying other wise. The same stuff was said about Fletcher. Yet Gibson is a more consistent player than Fletcher was at his age.

People forget that Reserve level for a midfielder is not even close to EPL level. The likes of Petrucci, James, Eikrem have some way to go before the even get to Gibson's current level, in the first team squad. Just remember Possebon. Who looked truly special at times in the reserves. Yet he is finding it tricky to step up from that level, just like Gibson initially did. Yet I have no doubt he has more talent than even Gibson.

Bottom line Young midfielders have to learn loads of things before they are ready for first team action proper at senior level. They also mature later than most other positions unless they are uber special ala a Fabregas. Anyone really expecting so much more from Gibson at his current age with the type of competition he faces to get first team football, is simply not realistic.
I'll take your points one by one. Lucky me :)

1) I can twist that point just as well as you. Say in a year Gibson wants regular football. What are you going to do? Listen, he has to be playing and we're nearly in Janurary. Do you think he has the managers trust to play in any game aside from the fa cup and dead rubber games after jan?

2) My assumptions are about as without foundation as you telling me he'll play plenty of games...I do believe. Before you take the micky, you might want to think about what your writing as you'll end up sounding silly.

3) how will the return of hargreaves make it easy for him to get games? Regardless, your making an assumption once more he'll 1) get fit 2) play a number of games and 3) stay fit.

4) Fletchers merited games but that's because of what he does on the pitch. As for O'shea he's loyal and a good defender, but he don't block enough crosses for me. That said he's scored important goals down the years.

5) Everyone knows what Sir Alex says......it's called management. You have to keep a happy ship. Somehow.

6) Gibsons more consistant then fletcher was? Atleast Fletcher was playing. Even last season Gibson was a fringe player. When Fletcher was 22, he played a lot of games on the wing which effected his performance level.

7) Gibson has a year or two if he wants to be a first teamer because of the development of others (my opinion). We don't owe anyone a career. That said It's up to him isn't it? No one lives for the past, Gibsons got a big chance tonight. He has to take it and if he takes it? Who'll be crying? no one...

8) Possebon played well within himself, but it's clear the injury was a big moment in his development. He's still 2 years younger then Gibson though.

9) Yes Gibson has more experience in that he's played a few more cup games and went on loan. Now he must produce and his levels will be looked at. Why? Because not everyone improves and right now he is not good enough to play week in week out which is what he should want.

10) age has nothing to do with anything. If he don't have it in him to be better, then that's his problem. Did Anderson worry? No...Did rafael? no...Gibsons big enough, he needs to prove himself.

11) This is in terms of being a first teamer, NOT a squad player. The problem I have with Gibson is while Fletcher has a great engine, sometimes you wonder if Gibson even has one.

Xander45

Know-It-All Champion May 2009
May i jump in?

Say in a year Gibson wants regular football. What are you going to do?

Fergie'll tell him his position within the squad and that it's not feasible for him to get past others whilst they're in form. If he keeps pushing after that then he'll probably be sent out on loan again.

Fletchers merited games but that's because of what he does on the pitch.

In recent years yes, in his early years his passing was very erratic, it was only due to playing week in week out in an average United side that made him.

Gibsons more consistant then fletcher was? At least Fletcher was playing.

Again in a much poorer United team, surely you must acknowledge that.

Founder of IhateMakeleles.org and Gourcufffanboysa
1) I can twist that point just as well as you. Say in a year Gibson wants regular football. What are you going to do? Listen, he has to be playing and we're nearly in Janurary. Do you think he has the managers trust to play in any game aside from the fa cup and dead rubber games after jan?.
Watch it happen. Mark my words. Hargreaves' and Park's return will ensure more games for fringe players like him and Nani. & it will be up to then to grab the chance to get more involved.

Besides, I see Gibson as a patient fella ala Fletcher. He isn't about to leave when Giggs and Scholes are on the brink of calling it a day. Even if he doesn't feature too much this term.

2) My assumptions are about as without foundation as you telling me he'll play plenty of games...I do believe. Before you take the micky, you might want to think about what your writing as you'll end up sounding silly.
I can't sound silly when I say he will get enough games between now and the end of the season. Especially when the season is still young and long, we still have the FA Cup and Carling cup with some way to go, plus we are still in Europe. Not forgetting that we have a huge squad & Fergie always rotates.

Which is a far cry from you assuming Gibson has not improved when you have hardly seen him play for us this year. If one was to measure "silliness".

2) 3) how will the return of hargreaves make it easy for him to get games?
Hargreaves and Park will have to get matches. Meaning the likes of Nani and Gibson are more than likely to join them in such games, given them a chance to stake a claim for more trust form the manager. As we both know Giggs and Scholes we be mostly spared for most of the main squad's games. When given games it will be up to the Gibson's to force SAF's hand.

Regardless, your making an assumption once more he'll 1) get fit 2) play a number of games and 3) stay fit.
I'm not assuming a thing. Hargreaves will get fit. His operation was a success. I'm yet to see Steadman fail

4) Fletchers merited games but that's because of what he does on the pitch
At 22 Fletcher was mostly less impressive than Gibson was for us last season. & was roundly ridiculed for it on here. Go figure

As for O'shea he's loyal and a good defender, but he don't block enough crosses for me. That said he's scored important goals down the years
It didn't stop him being the cafe's favorite target.

5) Everyone knows what Sir Alex says......it's called management. You have to keep a happy ship. Somehow.
The same excuse was used when folks like me pointed out what SAF thought of Fletcher. Talk of history repeating itself.

6) Gibsons more consistant then fletcher was? Atleast Fletcher was playing.
Because up to that point he had the likes of Djemba Djemba, an off form Scholes, a past it Keane, an out of Positon Smith, Giggs and O'shea to contend with for a first team place. Yet even then he wasn't a consistent player.

Even last season Gibson was a fringe player. When Fletcher was 22, he played a lot of games on the wing which effected his performance level
Well pointed out. Gibson at 22 isn't being shunted out wide as often. What does that tell us?

7) Gibson has a year or two if he wants to be a first teamer because of the development of others.
That is all he needs. It took Fletcher between age 22 and 24 to become what he is today. Anyone writing of Gibson off when he has clearly got the manger to notice him thus far, does so at their own peril.

8) Possebon played well within himself, but it's clear the injury was a big moment in his development. He's still 2 years younger then Gibson though
His age is moot point. His current progress should serve as an example to those who "expect" the likes of James, Eikrem and Petrucci to easily force Gibson out. The step up isn't easy.

9) Yes Gibson has more experience in that he's played a few more cup games and went on loan. Now he must produce and his levels will be looked at. Why? Because not everyone improves and right now he is not good enough to play week in week out which is what he should want.
Of of course he wants it! How wouldn't still be here if he didn't. However, it isn't his fault the team has better players than him in the first team squad. So he has to bid his time, work hard and take his chances. Hence, People writing him off before he has even had a chance to fail in any chance he might get are just being silly.

10) age has nothing to do with anything. If he don't have it in him to be better, then that's his problem. Did Anderson worry? No...Gibsons big enough, he needs to prove himself.
The thing is you have assumed earlier, he hasn't got better. Others are assuming he will never get better. My question is, based on what? Did Fletcher not teach you folks anything? Midfielders take time to mature and he is a midfielder.

Give the lad time. Especially let him totally fail with chances his given. Rather than writing him off before it all. That is all I'm saying.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
If he's good enough he'll force the manager to play him routinely, not in some ten minute cameos or league cup matches.

Please stop the Fletcher comparisons. Fletcher was a far better player at comparative ages, regardless of team depth.

7even

Resident moaner, hypocrite and moron
Gibson vs. Anderson or Gibbo-Ando partnership.

Let's hope both of them run the show. They can do it!

Brophs

The One and Only
He got into some decent positions tonight, but some of his use of the ball was criminally poor. The lack of decent options ahead of him didn't help at times either.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
I find it quite amazing that someone who quite clearly has goals in his game and can strike the ball the way he can cant pass it for toffee

Oh and no he's not good enough, if there were any question about it tonight answered it

Actually pisses me off the way people compare him to Carrick, they're nothing alike whatsoever

Xander45

Know-It-All Champion May 2009
I thought he was alright, played some neat one two's and gave the ball away less than Anderson as far as i could see (prepares to be proved spectacularly wrong). Some of his passing in the final third wasn't great but then again the movement infront of him was poor in the second half.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Watch it happen. Mark my words. Hargreaves' and Park's return will ensure more games for fringe players like him and Nani. & it will be up to then to grab the chance to get more involved.

Besides, I see Gibson as a patient fella ala Fletcher. He isn't about to leave when Giggs and Scholes are on the brink of calling it a day. Even if he doesn't feature too much this term.

I can't sound silly when I say he will get enough games between now and the end of the season. Especially when the season is still young and long, we still have the FA Cup and Carling cup with some way to go, plus we are still in Europe. Not forgetting that we have a huge squad & Fergie always rotates.

Which is a far cry from you assuming Gibson has not improved when you have hardly seen him play for us this year. If one was to measure "silliness".

Hargreaves and Park will have to get matches. Meaning the likes of Nani and Gibson are more than likely to join them in such games, given them a chance to stake a claim for more trust form the manager. As we both know Giggs and Scholes we be mostly spared for most of the main squad's games. When given games it will be up to the Gibson's to force SAF's hand.

I'm not assuming a thing. Hargreaves will get fit. His operation was a success. I'm yet to see Steadman fail

At 22 Fletcher was mostly less impressive than Gibson was for us last season. & was roundly ridiculed for it on here. Go figure

It didn't stop him being the cafe's favorite target.

The same excuse was used when folks like me pointed out what SAF thought of Fletcher. Talk of history repeating itself.

Because up to that point he had the likes of Djemba Djemba, an off form Scholes, a past it Keane, an out of Positon Smith, Giggs and O'shea to contend with for a first team place. Yet even then he wasn't a consistent player.

Well pointed out. Gibson at 22 isn't being shunted out wide as often. What does that tell us?

That is all he needs. It took Fletcher between age 22 and 24 to become what he is today. Anyone writing of Gibson off when he has clearly got the manger to notice him thus far, does so at their own peril.

His age is moot point. His current progress should serve as an example to those who "expect" the likes of James, Eikrem and Petrucci to easily force Gibson out. The step up isn't easy.

Of of course he wants it! How wouldn't still be here if he didn't. However, it isn't his fault the team has better players than him in the first team squad. So he has to bid his time, work hard and take his chances. Hence, People writing him off before he has even had a chance to fail in any chance he might get are just being silly.

The thing is you have assumed earlier, he hasn't got better. Others are assuming he will never get better. My question is, based on what? Did Fletcher not teach you folks anything? Midfielders take time to mature and he is a midfielder.

Give the lad time. Especially let him totally fail with chances his given. Rather than writing him off before it all. That is all I'm saying.
Rubber I reckon he's got a year and a half to cement his place. Bear in mind he'll then be 24 ish. I missed the game tonight so haven't much to add. Only time will tell. Wise man :)

RonaldoVII

Decent performance tonight, not the best. Still, he was far better than Anderson and Carrick didn't match his performance I thought either.

manusteve

Decent performance tonight, not the best. Still, he was far better than Anderson and Carrick didn't match his performance I thought either.
Don't agree. Anderson wasn't great but he was better. And Gibson has the most appalling first touch. And Fletcher will always be better than Gibson - even when he was in the reserves, he was better than Gibson at the equivalent stage. I thought we should have played Scholes, would have orchestrated the attack better than what we had.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I find it quite amazing that someone who quite clearly has goals in his game and can strike the ball the way he can cant pass it for toffee

Oh and no he's not good enough, if there were any question about it tonight answered it

Actually pisses me off the way people compare him to Carrick, they're nothing alike whatsoever
thats not strictly true, his long passing was accurate tonight. I thought our forwards did our midfielders no favours tonight with their lack of good movement

Allforone

United could spend £85million on David De Gea, Phi
Showed nothing to suggest hes genuine first team material either now or in the near future....with an abundance of very good central midfielders weve already got ahead of him added to Hargreaves coming back i wouldnt bet against Gibson being sold to a team like Stoke or such like come next summer maybe even january.

All he seems to want to do is shoot from anywhere within 30 yards...no doubting hes got a very good shot on him but you cant live on that at this level...his medium to short range passing is actually pretty woeful to be honest.

SecondFig

He played well today, always seeming to be the centre of any forward movement. His passing and shooting let him down but that can be said of most of the team.
I saw in the MOTM thread that you gave him man of the match.... :confused: He was awful, his passing, shooting, tackling and dead balls were all dreadful. That leaves him with good... what?

golden_blunder

Staff
Showed nothing to suggest hes genuine first team material either now or in the near future....with abundance of very good central midfielders weve already got ahead of him added to Hargreaves coming back i wouldnt bet against Gibson being sold to a team like Stoke or such like come next summer maybe even january.
This is what pisses me off about United fans. Sell him off from the Champions to relegation strugglers because he had a bad match. Is that his level, bottom of the table? You've decided this after 75 minutes? It was the same with Fletcher, people saying he was only good for the Championship ffs. You lot wouldn't know footballers if they jumped up naked in front of you

All he seems to want to do is shoot from anywhere within 30 yards...no doubting hes got a very good shot on him but you cant live on that at this level...his medium to short range passing is actually pretty woeful to be honest.
Why not? Frank Lampard dined out on it for years.

Brophs

The One and Only
Why not? Frank Lampard dined out on it for years.
Lampard had a lot more to his game than long distance shooting. Set aside the 'Fat Fwank' nonsense, and he's a very good footballer. As is Gisbon, though on a different level.

golden_blunder

Staff
Lampard had a lot more to his game than long distance shooting. Set aside the 'Fat Fwank' nonsense, and he's a very good footballer. As is Gisbon, though on a different level.
Lampard is a very good footballer NOW, one of the best around. I'm referring to when he was at WH in particular. He didn't have much to his game back then other than scoring a few goals

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He was generally piss poor tonight. Some good moments in the build up play though, but his passing is just terrible. This is not the first time I notice that I think the bad passing is always part of his game.
He is also too nervous and try too hard to impress, tends to shoot whenever he can. I'd rather he focus on playing simple and keep possession, and also work harder.

Brophs

The One and Only
Lampard is a very good footballer NOW, one of the best around. I'm referring to when he was at WH in particular. He didn't have much to his game back then other than scoring a few goals
Nah, IMO, even then, he had more overall, though his passing range has obviously improved. From the time Mourinho arrived, he rightly became known as a top player, though he'd been playing well for a good while before that.

green demon

Caf Nostradamous 2008
Near to nowhere, in the suburbs of Amnesia.
I saw in the MOTM thread that you gave him man of the match.... :confused: He was awful, his passing, shooting, tackling and dead balls were all dreadful. That leaves him with good... what?
There were many times he retrieved the ball from the back and got the other players involved by allowing them to go forward. He went on some runs. I agreed that he missed some chances, but so did everyone else. His passing was no worse than any others either. He was more involved than any other player in the 75 minutes he was on.

golden_blunder

Staff
He made one storming run from back to front

pity the 2 forwards didn't make any kind of runs, instead planting themselves like trees. Then they tried to run when it was too late

Crerand Legend

Like others he has had better nights, hopefully they all learnt from it and there is no serious damage done to their confidence. They were all playing well until that jammy goal

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
Yes its quite obvious that apart from shooting, he is also good at getting other involved though. Just need to work on his passing, tackling and improve his workrate genearlly. Who knows in few years time he may come out good.

Pogue Mahone

Swiftie Fan Club President
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
He made one storming run from back to front

pity the 2 forwards didn't make any kind of runs, instead planting themselves like trees. Then they tried to run when it was too late
Yeah, he showed a bit of drive and desire, at a time when almost nobody else was.

His passing was off though. He looked rusty as hell. Probably because he was. I don't think he's started a game since pre-season.