Darwin Núñez | Liverpool player | Sometimes maybe good, sometimes maybe shish

TheReligion

Abusive
Who was available this summer when we needed a striker? I don’t think there’s a large pool of players to pick from in this window.
Well if you were going to spend £85m I’m sure plenty?

Its absolute mega money for a player who works hard, presses and makes good runs in behind. You don’t think there are any other players who can do that AND retain good technical skills and finishing?

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
Well if you were going to spend £85m I’m sure plenty?

Its absolute mega money for a player who works hard, presses and makes good runs in behind. You don’t think there are any other players who can do that AND retain good technical skills and finishing?
Ok name someone who was available for at most 85 million to play up front who would score goals in the Premier League? I’m genuinely struggling to think of anyone available.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Nunez would be a high stakes gamble if he was where goals needed to come from. Salah’s pretty much been the deadliest player in front of goal in the division for five years. He remains that until he’s overtaken. Nunez can be decent and grow into a well-coached side while also contributing.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Credit to the guy, I certainly didn't think he come out as better player compared to halland tonight.

Bobski

Hard to reconcile what the commentator was saying with what I was watching. Looked pretty poor to me, missing two straightforward headers at first, but got lucky with one hitting the defender's arm when it was sailing miles wide. Ironically if it were on target it wouldn't have hit his hand. Scored at the end but could hardly miss. Still, sure he'll do well for them.
Finishing looks erratic, but looking at him I am seeing how immediately he started dominating the City CB's physically, especially Ake who was totally outmatched, how they had to adapt to his aggression and movement, creating space for his teammates. Someone compared him to Cavani in the match thread and that looks a decent shout, peak Cavani was a nightmare to defend against, fantastic movement, constant controlled aggression and physicality, always making defenders work. Missed a load of chances but was incredibly effective. Don't think Nunez is quite that good but it it a good player to model yourself after.

croadyman

Finishing looks erratic, but looking at him I am seeing how immediately he started dominating the City CB's physically, especially Ake who was totally outmatched, how they had to adapt to his aggression and movement, creating space for his teammates. Someone compared him to Cavani in the match thread and that looks a decent shout, peak Cavani was a nightmare to defend against, fantastic movement, constant controlled aggression and physicality, always making defenders work. Missed a load of chances but was incredibly effective. Don't think Nunez is quite that good but it it a good player to model yourself after.
Ake selection was monumental feck up

Oly Francis

Supports
PSG
How did that work out for Werner?
Werner was different as he couldn't inflate his stats by moving in the box to get easy headers.

Nunez moves well and he's powerful, no doubt, but that's pretty much it. Any data shows he was overperforming in the finishing compartment last season. He'll score goals, he'll get great crosses from Salah, TAA or Robertson, and he won't screw everything up in transition. Is he a player with the ability to become dominant in the league? Not at all in my opinion.

TheReligion

Abusive
Ok name someone who was available for at most 85 million to play up front who would score goals in the Premier League? I’m genuinely struggling to think of anyone available.
Jonathan David
Gabriel Jesus
Patrick Schick
Vlahovic
Immobile
Mane
Ronaldo
Lewandowski

There’s loads and they wouldn’t cost as much as Nunez.

Rayman96

Supports
Also supports Rangers
The CAF saw Andy Carroll
ITV commentators and Pundits ( including Keane btw) was prime Marco Van Basten.

What is this absolute love fest with Liverpool right now.
OK. I hate them so Im seeing everything twice as bad but Radio, TV , press, Social media. They are the worlds favourite team. The "Princess Diana" of football teams.

goatmeister

Supports
PSKI
You should add, "and willing to get paid 140k being the potentially club's transfer record". He's on reasonable pay structure reduce the risk if this goes tits up, good chance to move him on. I'm sure that Julian Ward bloke is not an idiot.

TheReligion

Abusive
Nunez would be a high stakes gamble if he was where goals needed to come from. Salah’s pretty much been the deadliest player in front of goal in the division for five years. He remains that until he’s overtaken. Nunez can be decent and grow into a well-coached side while also contributing.
Of course he needs to score goals he’s a £85m centre forward bought to score goals.

GaryLifo

Liverpool's Secret Weapon.
The CAF saw Andy Carroll

OK. I hate them so Im seeing everything twice as bad but Radio, TV , press, Social media. They are the worlds favourite team. The "Princess Diana" of football teams.
It was sickening, much like last season's love in for their historic quadruple.... :lol:

croadyman

The CAF saw Andy Carroll

You seem surprised they are the media darlings and everyone else is scum of the earth

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
The CAF saw Andy Carroll

It's lovely isn't it? We're lovely. :angel:

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
Jonathan David
Gabriel Jesus
Patrick Schick
Vlahovic
Immobile
Mane
Ronaldo
Lewandowski

There’s loads and they wouldn’t cost as much as Nunez.
Yeah that’s a list of either unavailable, unattainable or complete gambles imo. Mane wanted to leave. It’s why we needed to sign a striker (that and Origi and Minamino left). Signing Lewandowski for a season might work but after that we’re looking for someone else again.

Ronaldo…you really think he’d do well in a Klopp side at his age?

Nkunku isn’t available right now is he?

TheReligion

Abusive
Yeah that’s a list of either unavailable, unattainable or complete gambles imo. Mane wanted to leave. It’s why we needed to sign a striker (that and Origi and Minamino left). Signing Lewandowski for a season might work but after that we’re looking for someone else again.

Ronaldo…you really think he’d do well in a Klopp side at his age?

Nkunku isn’t available right now is he?
Nunez isn’t a gamble?

You asked me to name players who’d score goals in the PL and available?

Ultimately Nunez will score some goals and be a nuisance but you’ve overpaid massively.

Someone mentioned a comparison to Chicharito but the difference is he cost a few million whilst you’ve gone big on an incomplete player

paraguayo

Supports
neutral
This guy is a tank physically compared to Chicharito.. come on.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
Nunez isn’t a gamble?

Ultimately Nunez will score some goals and be a nuisance but you’ve overpaid massively.

Someone mentioned a comparison to Chicharito but the difference is he cost a few million whilst you’ve gone big on an incomplete player
But why does the fee matter if he plays for us for 5-6 years and scores a load of goals?

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Of course he needs to score goals he’s a £85m centre forward bought to score goals.
He needs to contribute to a winning team. No question. Liverpool will score loads and he’ll get his fair share. My point is that it’s not all on him, which is the beauty of the squad he’s joined. Salah remains the apex predictor in the league.

Pogue Mahone

The caf's Camus.
"like a man in silk pyjamas shooting pigeons
Nunez isn’t a gamble?

You and I both know you wouldn’t be calling him “incomplete” if ETH had got his way and signed him at United. He looks like a good/prolific striker with room for improvement. Players like him don’t come cheap and I wouldn’t have cared in the slightest if we’d paid the exact same fee to get him on board. The fact we didn’t sign him (or anyone like him) almost certainly means we’re facing another season as also rans.

goatmeister

Supports
PSKI
Nkunku has been very open on his strong desire to return to Mbappe FC. Raphael himself seems to have given the nod.

Vlahovic is rather slow though. Milan's Leao is interesting. Alexander Isak is another interesting potential. Both should be getteable with Nuñez money and salary package.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
If you’re happy to waste money when you could have got the same result and a better player for much less that’s fine!
But it’s not wasting money if he scores goals. What might’ve happened if we signed someone else for less is irrelevant.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
I’m curious as to how Liverpool’s striker recruitment is being questioned with such vigour. I’ve seen this movie before.