Darwin Núñez | Liverpool player | Sometimes maybe good, sometimes maybe shish

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
My money’s on Haaland not being the generational talent everyone thinks he is.

Haaland is obviously an unusually prodigious talent who matured far more quickly than most but who’s to say that Nunez might not develop a bit later (like most ‘normal’ footballers) but reach a similar level of consistency in front of goal? Along with offering a hell of a lot more when his team isn’t in possession.
It just means the circumstances changed and the sample size is small. Too early to call it an outlier season.
Even forgetting the Haaland comparison, compare him to other goalscorers last season:

Nunez - 26 goals, 16-18 xG.
Salah - 23 goals, 21.8 xG.
Ronaldo - 18 goals, 16.5 xG.
Kane - 17 goals, 20.1 xG.
Lewandowski - 35 goals, 32.6 xG.

And so on. Even accepting entirely that he's just a late developer and ignoring the jump in quality between leagues he has to manage, expecting him to keep finishing at that rate would be asking a lot.

Member 101269

Even forgetting the Haaland comparison, compare him to other goalscorers last season:

Nunez - 26 goals, 16-18 xG.
Salah - 23 goals, 21.8 xG.
Ronaldo - 18 goals, 16.5 xG.
Kane - 17 goals, 20.1 xG.
Lewandowski - 35 goals, 32.6 xG.
Martial 1 goal, 0.00-0.30 xG

And so on. Even accepting entirely that he's just a late developer and ignoring the jump in quality between leagues he has to manage, expecting him to keep finishing at that rate would be asking a lot.
Edited to update united current main CF

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Jonathan David
Gabriel Jesus
Patrick Schick
Vlahovic
Immobile
Mane
Ronaldo
Lewandowski

There’s loads and they wouldn’t cost as much as Nunez.
Given Liverpool’s upturn in fortunes has been heavily to do with scouting precision and excellent recruitment I’m finding it surprising that there’s such conviction that Núñez was the wrong buy. There’s enough evidence to suggest Núñez is in good hands and the process works.

LochGormanAbú

Supports
Liverpool
This is all quite funny
It's funny watching all the scousers take the bait. Everyone can see from the guys short career so far that he is a fantastic talent. A few bad touches in pre season when trying to adapt to a new style and much quicker pace doesn't really mean he is poor technically, I am fairly sure the Liverpool transfer team will have done their homework more than us. He definitely brings a new dimension and could really improve their side. With 5 very good forwards, he doesn't even have to start all games.

As for yesterday's half hour cameo, great movement for 1 on 1 and very good goal keeping, bit lucky to win a pen but buy a ticket blah blah and his goal is what you want from a centre forward, right place at right time.

Overall him and Halland will no doubt both do really well, two top footballers, Halland further down the road in terms of development.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
He's going to be a nuisance for everyone, I include his teammates in that but he will eventually turn out to be a relative success.
I'd imagine they need him to be more than a relative success given they spent a 100 million on the bloke.

Member 101269

Given Liverpool’s upturn in fortunes has been heavily to do with scouting precision and excellent recruitment I’m finding it surprising that there’s such conviction that Núñez was the wrong buy. There’s enough evidence to suggest Núñez is in good hands and the process works.
Loris Karius
Alexander Oxlade-Chamberlain
Marko Grujic
Dominic Solanke
Naby Keita
Steven Caulker
Ben Davis
Takumi Minamino

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
Sure but that doesn't mean mistakes or overspend can't happen. Keita hardly looks like value for the money spent on him, for example.

And at the price Nunez cost it would be hard for there not to be some other cheaper player who ultimately goes on to be about as good as him, as 99% of strikers in world fall into the "cheaper than him" category. And that's without taking into account the red flags of his overperformance last season and his flaws in general play, which increase the risk involved.

The main counter-point is that Liverpool don't actually need to focus on value as much now because you only have a limited number of positions you're looking to strengthen each summer, so overpaying for your first choice targets comes with less opportunity cost. Which is valid but it doesn't change how much you spent.

I don't doubt Nunez will be good for you as aside from goals he's a workhorse up front. I just doubt whether he'll be record-club-signing good.

B20

HEY EVERYONE I IGNORE SOMEONE LOOK AT ME
Supports
Liverpool
Loris Karius
Marko Grujic
Dominic Solanke
Naby Keita
Steven Caulker
Ben Davis
Takumi Minamino
If this is your argument on seven years, I'd say that definitely validates the argument that our recruitment is excellent and that the process works.

Member 101269

If this is your argument on seven years, I'd say that definitely validates the argument that our recruitment is excellent and that the process works.
Just a few examples; I'd say it works as much as it fails. To call it " scouting precision and excellent recruitment" is a huge understatement. there are many in the squad who are still to determine if they are a success, and were legacy signings or proven quality before going to Liverpool.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
Just a few examples; I'd say it works as much as it fails. To call it " scouting precision and excellent recruitment" is a huge understatement. there are many in the squad who are still to determine if they are a success, and were legacy signings or proven quality before going to Liverpool.
If you insist I won't argue.

jadajos

Last Man Standing finalist 2022/23
Supports
Football
Loris Karius
Marko Grujic
Dominic Solanke
Naby Keita
Steven Caulker
Ben Davis
Takumi Minamino
Out of those only Keita and Chamberlain were big money signings and they have been ridden by injuries. Many of those cheap punts they sold on a profit. Let’s be honest, Liverpool get their scouting spot on these days and Nunez is much more likely to be a success than not. The money spent is nice for banter but ultimately it won’t really matter if it brings success.

They do regularly sign players with heavy injury records though and I think Nunez also had a severe knee surgery a few years back? I think injuries are far more likely to stop him and Haaland being a success than anything else.

B20

Supports
Liverpool
You got clarity it as sarcasm... happy to wait for an explanation to support this " scouting precision and excellent recruitment" and "process that works"
Alisson
Robertson
Matip
Konate
Van Dijk
Fabinho
Thiago
Wijnaldum
Salah
Mane
Jota
Diaz

I think our record is really hard to beat over the past seven years really.

Your list of failures includes a first team regular, a six month loan deal and four players that were sold at a substantial profit. If that is our worst examples, given the high number of great successes, I'd say we've done great.

Member 101269

Out of those only Keita and Chamberlain were big money signings and they have been ridden by injuries. Many of those cheap punts they sold on a profit. Let’s be honest, Liverpool get their scouting spot on these days and Nunez is much more likely to be a success than not. The money spent is nice for banter but ultimately it won’t really matter if it brings success.

They do regularly sign players with heavy injury records though and I think Nunez also had a severe knee surgery a few years back? I think injuries are far more likely to stop him and Haaland being a success than anything else.
There is a need to be careful with using monetary values, Robertson is a success, at 8m, yet Minamino 7.5m isn't/wasn't a success. Should the later be ignored but the former be included as a success?

Alisson
Robertson
Matip
Konate
Van Dijk
Fabinho
Thiago
Wijnaldum
Salah
Mane
Jota
Diaz

Your list of failures includes a first team regular, a six month loan deal and four players that were sold at a substantial profit. If that is our worst examples, given the high number of great successes, I'd say we've done great.
The notion of success is interesting.
Successful
Robertson
Trent

Bought in as very good players
Van Dijk
Fabinho
Salah
Mane

Bought in success
Thiago - questionable if he's a success at Liverpool

Unproven success
Matip - should be a success he's out too often
Konate - after what 11 games?
Jota - good stats looks like he could be
Diaz - too little time to tell

Unable to comment on
Wijnaldum

I'm not buying this Liverpool get it right; when was the last time they purchased someone and made them a success? Of those listed only one player coming through the system. Initially, Klopp/Liverpool was good, sorry, I don't think that applies anymore.

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
There is a need to be careful with using monetary values, Robertson is a success, at 8m, yet Minamino 7.5m isn't/wasn't a success. Should the later be ignored but the former be included as a success?

Successful
Robertson
Trent

Van Dijk
Fabinho
Salah
Mane

Bought in success

Unproven success

Unable to comment on
Wijnaldum

I'm not buying this Liverpool get it right; when was the last time they purchased someone and made them a success? Of those listed only one player coming through the system. Initially, Klopp/Liverpool was good, sorry, I don't think that applies anymore.
Come on lad

In the listen you’ve provided there they’re almost all massive successes. You’re reaching hard

Rooney in Paris

Gerrard shirt..Anfield? You'll Never Live it Down
Scout
I think everyone agrees that your record in recruitment has been excellent over the past few years, a lot of posters on here have said great things about it. But it's different to saying it's perfect, there have been flops too (less so than other clubs of course, for the most part), and Núñez could turn out to be another of those as much as he could be a resounding success. It's impossible to know at this stage.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser

Successful
Robertson
Trent

Van Dijk
Fabinho
Salah
Mane

Bought in success

Unproven success

Unable to comment on
Wijnaldum

Unable to comment on a midfielder that won a UCL and the league?

Matip has clearly been a success

Van Dijk clearly was made a success, he was not brought as the best CB in the league

Salah was not brought in as a balon dor contending forward. Mane either.

Seriously weird post

Dumbstar

We got another woman hater here.
Supports
Liverpool
Come on lad

In the listen you’ve provided there they’re almost all massive successes. You’re reaching hard
The best thing about this largely clueless sentiment is it is actually shared by a large section of Utd fans. And with instant modern technology the sentiment quickly filters upward to the likes of Woodward, etc, when he was there. Obviously he's not fully led by this sentiment but it's fair to say smashing up your own stadium, or going to the CEO's house en masse had some impact.

So Ole, or Ibrahimivic, or Ronaldo become the 'right thing to do' to quell the dissent. I can't see this ending for a while yet. So yeah, Liverpool, shit signings, shit manager, shit everything. Learn nothing. :D

RobinLFC

Cries when Liverpool doesn't get praised
Supports
Liverpool
it's reaching to say Diaz, Jota, Konate and Matip are a success.
Best you could argue is that the jury is still out on Konate. The others are obviously successes.

If Utd had signed a CB on a free who performed like Matip the last few seasons I’d like to see you argue that it’s a reach to call him a success :lol:

Bastionen

Supports
Lyn
I'm curious to hear who you think are Uniteds successful signings in the same time period. Could you make a similar list there to what you made for Liverpool?

macheda14

Successful
Robertson
Trent

Van Dijk
Fabinho
Salah
Mane

Bought in success

Unproven success

Unable to comment on
Wijnaldum

How do you explain how good Liverpool are - arguably the second best team in the world? Their recruitment has been fantastic. Scouting can still apply to 'already good players' you still have to go out and get them.

mu4c_20le

Best you could argue is that the jury is still out on Konate. The others are obviously successes.

If Utd had signed a CB on a free who performed like Matip the last few seasons I’d like to see you argue that it’s a reach to call him a success :lol:
?? He had one good season so far. The other ones were injury riddled, and he struggled in his first two years IIRC.

RacingClub

Supports
Racing Club
Matip and Jota are successful signings so far.
Matip (as far as I remember) came on a free and has been a top 5 CB im the premier league for the past 3/4 years IMO.

He doesn't catch the eye like VVD but he's a quality CB , the only big problem that he has is his fitness/ injury record and even that has been managed better recently.

A free transfer that has been a mainstay in their first team during the most successful period in their recent history should probably be counted as a success alright.

PickledRed

Supports
Liverpool
Another top point here.

I do wonder how Klopp turned Liverpool from 60+pts side to getting 90+pts consistently and going deep into the CL while winning pots.

Wonder if it’s just his genius with a mixed bunch or he’s built a squad through a second to none recruitment strategy. Intriguing stuff.

Member 101269

How do you explain how good Liverpool are - arguably the second best team in the world? Their recruitment has been fantastic. Scouting can still apply to 'already good players' you still have to go out and get them.
Was, there is no evidence on recent signing it still is.

Diaz after one season 6 goals in 26 appearances. Nah I'm not buying that as a success for his position.

Jota great stats: He's only cemented his position for one season.

Matip peaked in 2017, only last year started showing signs he could be a succuss

Konate the best that could be argued? what? i'm more concerned that 11 games is being considered potential for success. How easy it's banded about.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rayman96

Supports
Also supports Rangers
Looking forward to your trophy parade for the community shield.
I thought I was watching it live on the telly but it was just some dippers on crimewatch who hijacked a double decker :wenger:

mu4c_20le

Another top point here.

I do wonder how Klopp turned Liverpool from 60+pts side to getting 90+pts consistently and going deep into the CL while winning pots.

Wonder if it’s just his genius with a mixed bunch or he’s built a squad through a second to none recruitment strategy. Intriguing stuff.
Nobody tell this guy they finished 3rd with 69 points just two years ago..

TheReligion

Abusive
Another top point here.

Second to none?!