Darwin Núñez | Liverpool player | Sometimes maybe good, sometimes maybe shish

izec

That's a massive if. If McTominay starts playing like Keane, you can't ask for more either.
We know he can score a lot of goals and he will in my opinion. The Keane comparison is not the same, as Keane had a lot of facets to his game that McTominay will never reach.

Massive Spanner

Give Mason Mount a chance!
I really doubt he'll score 20+ premier league goals, and he wouldn't do that at United anyway.

Unless you meant 20+ goals in total, which even Rashford can score.
We’ll see. My point was that we are looking incredibly short of goals again this season and I wouldn’t mind if we were as decisive as Pool were with a striker, instead of pissing about. Goal scorers cost a big premium now, we’ll probably panic buy Danny ings for £50m on deadline day now or something daft.

Núñez doesn’t look anything close to an £85m player but that’s the crazy money involved in goal scorers now, if he can bang them in for Pool people won’t care.

Klopper76

"Did you see Fabinho against Red Star & Cardiff?"
Supports
Liverpool
That’s got to be the luckiest first goal for a club I’ve seen since Crouch’s first for us against Wigan.

Still, glad he’s off the mark.

Judas

Open to offers
He’s got enough actual technically good players around him he’ll do ok, but it is staggering just how woeful he is on the ball for the price. But he’s been bought to score, and he’ll probably do alright at that.

BerryBerryShrew

I still think the Lukaku comp is spot on for Darwin. Very limited technically. Cant control a ball, cant pass a ball, and can barely run with the ball. HOWEVER just like Lukaku he is a physical specimen who has good positioning and scored lots of goals.

You can make fun of Lukaku all day but he has always scored goals consistently and I think that might apply to Darwin.

Now if you compare Darwin to the last 3 TOP Uruguyan strikers, Forlan, Suarez, and Cavani he is literally nowhere near or close to their ability IMO.
Forlan was a wonderful all round footballer with fantastic technique, touch and work rate and was ultimately laughed out of the UK as a failure due to a long goal drought that affected his confidence. Nunez couldn't trap a football to save his life and an average 8 year old looks more technically accomplished yet he has 4 g&a in two sub appearances and all bar one of them is down to nothing more than dumb luck. Fortune can be a cruel mistress!

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Hes certainly no Mane. Technically, he's shocking. But he'll score goals.

Walters_19_MuFc

Looks good. Based on the two games I've seen him in this season (City and Fulham) he will score a lot of goals. Great movement, especially in and around the box.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
We know he can score a lot of goals and he will in my opinion. The Keane comparison is not the same, as Keane had a lot of facets to his game that McTominay will never reach.
The point is that 30 goals in the PL is a huge mark, not even seasoned top players reach it. It's no a base to make any point.

BerryBerryShrew

He reminds me more of Drogba in his early days at Chelsea.
Yep, I called it earlier in the thread.

Why do people keep comparing this guy to Sancho? The only young player in world football who had outperformed Sancho when we signed him was Mbappé (and only barely at that). A bit of a contrast to a guy who had one good season statistically and never passed the eye test.

A better comparison would be Drogba who also only had 1 good season behind him when he signed for Chelsea for big money and had a poor first season for them. Obviously he came good, but Drogba had fantastic fundamentals even when he wasn't firing. The ball seems to ricochet off Nunez whereas Drogba was a one man army.

Member 101269

Lukaku: he didn't know anything about the first goal, the second was a poor first touch.

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
We’ll see. My point was that we are looking incredibly short of goals again this season and I wouldn’t mind if we were as decisive as Pool were with a striker, instead of pissing about. Goal scorers cost a big premium now, we’ll probably panic buy Danny ings for £50m on deadline day now or something daft.

Núñez doesn’t look anything close to an £85m player but that’s the crazy money involved in goal scorers now, if he can bang them in for Pool people won’t care.
Yeah, I agree with that tbf. But I am not surprised, we are not decisive with anything.

BerryBerryShrew

He reminds me a bit of Mario Gomez. Really clumsy but just constantly making the right runs so eventually he’ll bundle it in. The big difference between him and all of the other poachers is that he works really hard. The likes of Gomez, Inzaghi, etc. all used to be really lazy, I can’t really remember another poacher that’s so useful out of possession?
He reminds me more of Drogba in his early days at Chelsea.
Miroslav Klose
He reminds me of Homer Simpson. You know in the episode with Frank Grimes where he gets frustrated that Homer is utterly useless and yet incredibly successful? Except everyone on this forum is Frank Grimes right now. If dumbass Darwin continues to fail upwards there might be a few of us having mental breakdowns and inadvertent electrocutions as a result.

Dante

Average bang
He's like some kind of footballing Inspector Clouseau, where every mistake he makes ends up working out for him.

Chief123

As a Utd fan, I’m happy with what I’ve seen so far of Nunez. He’s got some clear deficiencies which are going to cause Liverpool just as many problems as solutions.

If Utd had signed him, the pressure on him would be absolutely incredible based on his poor contribution to build up and dodgy touch. He really would become a meme.

TheReligion

Abusive

I’m very happy United didn’t want to pay £85m for Nunez

Amar__

Geriatric lover and empath
Supports
MK Dons
One thing people seem to ignore so far is how important Firmino and Mane were for Liverpool, and with Mane gone and Nunez in starting XI, how exactly are they going to replicate their creativity and ball carrying in the final third?

This guy for all his goals obviously won't create much for Salah, and Salah is quite selfish himself, and Diaz is no Mane either, where will the creativity come from?

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Liverpool will be fine with goals and creativity. Defensively though, I think they look vulnerable.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
One thing people seem to ignore so far is how important Firmino and Mane were for Liverpool, and with Mane gone and Nunez in starting XI, how exactly are they going to replicate their creativity and ball carrying in the final third?

This guy for all his goals obviously won't create much for Salah, and Salah is quite selfish himself, and Diaz is no Mane either, where will the creativity come from?
Firmino hasn’t been important for us since 19/20.

Mane has been but his first half of last season wasn’t amazing. 7 goals and 1 assist I think pre AFCON.

Klopper76

Supports
Liverpool
Ah, I thought it went through his legs and off the defender's toe.
It’s weird. He missed it initially but the defender deflected it back in his direction and it went off of Nunez into the roof of the goal.

TheReligion

Abusive
Firmino hasn’t been important for us since 19/20.

Mane has been but his first half of last season wasn’t amazing. 7 goals and 1 assist I think pre AFCON.
Klopp seems to think Firmino is very important?

You’ll definitely miss Mane in my opinion. He’s suddenly become very underrated now he’s left.